Wilder annoyed at transfer-listed players who won’t leave

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
Potentially Wright, Clarke, Carruthers, Holmes and Heneghan

"It's up to them. I know, if I was a couple of them, that I'd have been at a new club already. I won't name names but they should maybe think about their career, rather than sticking something in their back pockets.

"It annoys me immensely, because I've looked after a couple of them.

"Go and get a club. It should have happened a long time ago." ETC

Looking at it purely as a job.

X amount a week doing fuck all.

Less than X amount a week for working and possibly having to move away.

I'd do the first one, especially if I was 30 something and extremely unlikely ever to get a contract as good as the one I currently have ever again.

🤷🏻‍♂️

I think he’s mainly referring to Clarke and J. Wright within his frustration “I’ve looked after a couple of them”....Carruthers is clearly trying to sort something, Holmes is injured so not really an attractive proposition for someone. Heneghan I’m sure will go to a L1 club on loan.

It might not seem like a lot of money now we are in the Prem, but if there are 10 grand a week's worth of wages between those few players, freeing them up would be 500k a year in the kitty. Being able to offer a new signing 45k a week rather than 35k a week may be the difference in getting them over the line, so I can see why it's annoying Wilder.

A while ago, I bought a midi keyboard with drum pads cos I liked the look of it, it was at a good price and I thought it would be useful. I named it Henighan. 4 months on and it's still just loloping around in my studio, having never been plugged into the computer and, therefore, never squeaked a note or tapped a single beat. I often wonder what the fuck planet I was on or what medication I was taking to make me buy it in the first place but I don't get mad at it for hanging around in the forlorn hope that one day I might need a sequencer to accompany a Hawkwind type riff or passage. Just sayin' like......

Without being funny Wilder signed them all. He spent ages chasing some of them if he has offered them 3/4 year contracts which are the most lucrative they have ever and are likely to receive I can't say as I blame any of them. At the end of the day Carruthers, Holmes etc are never likely to make millions from the game so from their perspective why should they go anywhere. Can't say I agree on this one Sir Chris.

It might not seem like a lot of money now we are in the Prem, but if there are 10 grand a week's worth of wages between those few players, freeing them up would be 500k a year in the kitty. Being able to offer a new signing 45k a week rather than 35k a week may be the difference in getting them over the line, so I can see why it's annoying Wilder.
I see it from both sides - yep giving someone £45k as opposed to £35k would / could be a deal breaker ........... but these lads have a contract. Yes we probably got to the PL quicker than even the most positive Blade would have thought after Adkins last game pre Wilder 3 years ago BUT this still doesn't mean we can just get rid. I look at it as we would in our own place of work .... if your firm / business suddenly got into a major contract worth millions - would you like to be replaced just like that by someone else? Nothing wrong with CW saying how he feels though .... it's a roothless business (aka Duffy). Personally I would have gone in a happy way like Coutts did straight away ........ Anyway roll on Sunday with an electric atmosphere and a lovely 3 points

Without being funny Wilder signed them all. He spent ages chasing some of them if he has offered them 3/4 year contracts which are the most lucrative they have ever and are likely to receive I can't say as I blame any of them. At the end of the day Carruthers, Holmes etc are never likely to make millions from the game so from their perspective why should they go anywhere. Can't say I agree on this one Sir Chris.
Totally agree with the points you made.
CW may be annoyed/frustrated. But these guys committed their futures to the club in exchange for the peace and security for themselves (and their families). They are entitled to hold onto the contract they negotiated in good faith or ask for assurances they will receive compensation that will not see them out of pocket.

The problem is we’re dealing with players who are 32-34 and probably haven’t earned a massive amount of money during lower league careers. It’s got to be tough for players like that to give up thousands of pounds just for a move back into League One or Two.
Dont forget Leon played for Wendy. Must be set up for life having played for one of THE big clubs.

Anybody stopped to think that a couple might fancy pushing for a start this season, especially in the cups when they roll along..

Personally this is poor form in my opinion, casting things aside that you no longer need shouldn’t apply to human beings with feelings and families..

(Dean Hammond was treated well, why not Leon Clarke who’s been brilliant)

Anybody stopped to think that a couple might fancy pushing for a start this season, especially in the cups when they roll along..

Personally this is poor form in my opinion, casting things aside that you no longer need shouldn’t apply to human beings with feelings and families..

(Dean Hammond was treated well, why not Leon Clarke who’s been brilliant)

Agree.
I hope Wilder isn t going to be more confrontational now we're in the limelight.
Sometimes less is more. The media are going to jump on his every word.

You could argue that Carruthers deserves this treatment but the rest of them? Seems entirely harsh. We're in the Premier League. I'd want the chance of playing in the Premier League. Injury crisis could give them it. Pretty sure their options wouldn't give them half the wages they're on or anything above league 1.

I see it from both sides - yep giving someone £45k as opposed to £35k would / could be a deal breaker ........... but these lads have a contract. Yes we probably got to the PL quicker than even the most positive Blade would have thought after Adkins last game pre Wilder 3 years ago BUT this still doesn't mean we can just get rid. I look at it as we would in our own place of work .... if your firm / business suddenly got into a major contract worth millions - would you like to be replaced just like that by someone else? Nothing wrong with CW saying how he feels though .... it's a roothless business (aka Duffy). Personally I would have gone in a happy way like Coutts did straight away ........ Anyway roll on Sunday with an electric atmosphere and a lovely 3 points

Coutts was out of contract so had no other choice but to go, whether he liked it or not.

It’s a lesson for Wilder, don’t give out long contracts to older players. Clarke for example was certainly given a year too long on his last deal and I can’t believe Jake Wright still has a contract for this season, why extend his deal when he barely played the first year in the championship?

If it’s just about the money all we have to do is compensate them for their difference in wages. If it’s 50% then we save half their wages, they get what they’re currently on and they get to play football. In negotiation it’s all about everybody giving a little - win/win is possible.

For once, I’m not really with the gaffer here. Contract negotiations are a 2-way street. The club agreed their contracts, we can’t suddenly expect them to give up thousands of pounds because they are out of favour and it’s convenient for us. I don’t think anyone on here would do that easily. It goes to show contracts need to be carefully thought through.

If it’s just about the money all we have to do is compensate them for their difference in wages. If it’s 50% then we save half their wages, they get what they’re currently on and they get to play football. In negotiation it’s all about everybody giving a little - win/win is possible.

Agree.

A footballers wage is made up of basic and bonuses for being in the match day squad, team, position in table, personal achievement ie goals scored, clean sheets etc.
I assume Wilder is annoyed that the players he refers to are quite content to pick up a high basic with SUFC rather than agree a deal to cancel their contract. Which allows them to move on and pick up a basic with bonuses. I.e. the total package with pay off has the potential to be more if they “achieve” with their new club.

Another example of money spoiling football. These lads are hardly unique in putting their income above their desire to play eg Gareth Bale. Wilder showing his ruthless streak by attempting to shame them. For the moment he is unassailable and could become our Sir Alex. That didn't turn out too badly did it ?

You could argue that Carruthers deserves this treatment but the rest of them? Seems entirely harsh. We're in the Premier League. I'd want the chance of playing in the Premier League. Injury crisis could give them it. Pretty sure their options wouldn't give them half the wages they're on or anything above league 1.

I think I’m right in saying none of them can play for us in The Premier League as they weren’t named in the 25 man squad.

I don’t think it’s the money that bothers Wilder so much as the fact that he likes to keep a small, competitive squad and doesn’t want non-playing players hanging around potentially damaging morale.

From the players point of view, we’re not talking about factory workers taking a break from the daily grind. Surely when you’re lucky enough to be born with a talent you want to use that for as long as you’re physically able. They only have a 20 year career in which to win trophies, become heroes and make memories. I wouldn’t want to squander the last few of them just training every day with no prospect of ever playing.

The thing is with these players some haven't played much football for a while by the time the next transfer window comes around no one will want any of them so they will be sat on their arses for a whole year. Would it not be better for them to play at a lower level for two years and get paid plus have a nice little pay off from Sheffield Utd sat in their bank?

With regards to Wright will he be on good money ?? Don’t get me wrong not saying he is on basic but I doubt he would have been signed on a big league 1 contract, though saying that it might be likely someone league 1 has offered similar money to what he is on

You've got to have a bit of sympathy for Wright and Holmes, they're both at an age where teams won't offer them big contracts. Wright has spent his entire career in the Conference and League 2, Holmes has had a really short career at League 1 and 2 level. Neither will have earned enough to be retiring and have a secure future; and now we're asking them to take a pay cut. Wright has a family and seems to be fairly settled in Dronfield. In reality a couple of grand a week pay cut now probably means another couple of years work post football. I'm not sure what lower league players go on to after their playing career is up.

A while ago, I bought a midi keyboard with drum pads cos I liked the look of it, it was at a good price and I thought it would be useful. I named it Henighan. 4 months on and it's still just loloping around in my studio, having never been plugged into the computer and, therefore, never squeaked a note or tapped a single beat. I often wonder what the fuck planet I was on or what medication I was taking to make me buy it in the first place but I don't get mad at it for hanging around in the forlorn hope that one day I might need a sequencer to accompany a Hawkwind type riff or passage. Just sayin' like......
I don't believe you

I think I’m right in saying none of them can play for us in The Premier League as they weren’t named in the 25 man squad.

I don’t think it’s the money that bothers Wilder so much as the fact that he likes to keep a small, competitive squad and doesn’t want non-playing players hanging around potentially damaging morale.

From the players point of view, we’re not talking about factory workers taking a break from the daily grind. Surely when you’re lucky enough to be born with a talent you want to use that for as long as you’re physically able. They only have a 20 year career in which to win trophies, become heroes and make memories. I wouldn’t want to squander the last few of them just training every day with no prospect of ever playing.
If they're still here in September you might have a point, but they can still sign for League 1 or 2 clubs on loan or permanently for the next couple of weeks. Just because they've already had offers doesn't mean it's the right offer for them and they shouldn't have to just sign for the first option that comes along just because it suits Wilder.

Leon maybe didn't want to leave earlier in the summer if there was still a chance of staying here as 5th choice striker, but now he might get a brilliant offer from a desperate League 1 side throwing money around in a couple of weeks. If not we'll surely let him leave on loan somewhere anyway, or maybe he's hoping for a pay-off like Ched got.

Someone like Wright might want a move where he doesn't need to move house if he's put down roots now he's near the end of his career. Wilder can have his opinion, but they all have contracts (and Wilder said himself that he is the one who decides what contracts players get) and are completely justified in only moving if it's the right move for them.

Back
Top Bottom