What would you tell McBurnie?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From the pig end

Reaction score
We all know how to play McGoldrick and Mousset now. It's become clear how we set up, what we look for and how we play to their strengths when one or both are in the side.

My dad (not a big Mcburnie fan) says his lackluster closing down and pressing puts us under pressure, and he says that was evident when he came on against Man United.

I'm a big McBurnie, or at least I fully back him to become a great player for us but I have to admit that I thought he had a point.
McGoldricks pressing is incredible, he wins the ball back a LOT for a striker and his quick feet and brain help us out of those tight situations to counter attack. His style has rubbed off on Moose too, the lads work rate is first rate and now his fitness and strength is back up he is a nightmare for defenders that like to 'put their foot on the ball'.
Do you think Mcburnie closes down and nicks possession back well enough?
When we go forward Oli plays some killer passes in the final third, in the time I've seen him he not only makes some very good decisions with his passes but he is very accurate with them too, my other question is though - what passes does he need?
Is he simply a fox in the box?
Does he need more aerial crosses?
What type of runs should he be making?

Personally I think he is crying out for Freeman to play behind him in the (Duffy role) but with that looking unlikely for a while, what type of service does he need and who should be giving it him?

Agree McBurnie’s is a good player with probably a big future.
He’s not worth 20 million but that’s not his fault.

Also he’d probably be playing regularly but McGoldrick and Mousset have been so good (both in brilliant form).
As Wilder always says “play well and you keep your shirt”, McBurnie just needs to stay patient..he’s young enough and will get his chance.

The pressing issue was raised in a different thread. When we stop pressing as a team there is no point in Mcburnie doing it. Mcburnie didn't lose anything we just have struggled without Mcgoldrick to compensate for a lack of a Duffy/Freeman.
Mcburnie did indeed link up well with Freeman. As it stands it has to be Mcgoldrick and Mousset. If we have Freeman in then it could easily be Mcburnie in.

Your old man is spot on. I’ve seen the same.

Closing down is a skill, it’s not always about running constantly, it’s about narrowing and blocking angles, blocking areas of the pitch and directing them where we want them to go....and then knowing WHEN to close opponents and do it with intent.

Robinson is another who’s poor at it, he also shows the effort but he’s often just running blind and chasing the ball about making the opponents play faster...which actually is counter productive in this league as players can do it.

However, saying all that they will learn and improve. But both McB and Robinson will be on the bench while ever M&M are fit!
Neither can do what M&M can do, and turn us into a premier league quality threat up top to a championship forward line.

We all know how to play McGoldrick and Mousset now. It's become clear how we set up, what we look for and how we play to their strengths when one or both are in the side.

My dad (not a big Mcburnie fan) says his lackluster closing down and pressing puts us under pressure, and he says that was evident when he came on against Man United.

I'm a big McBurnie, or at least I fully back him to become a great player for us but I have to admit that I thought he had a point.
McGoldricks pressing is incredible, he wins the ball back a LOT for a striker and his quick feet and brain help us out of those tight situations to counter attack. His style has rubbed off on Moose too, the lads work rate is first rate and now his fitness and strength is back up he is a nightmare for defenders that like to 'put their foot on the ball'.
When we go forward Oli plays some killer passes in the final third, in the time I've seen him he not only makes some very good decisions with his passes but he is very accurate with them too, my other question is though - what passes does he need?

Personally I think he is crying out for Freeman to play behind him in the (Duffy role) but with that looking unlikely for a while, what type of service does he need and who should be giving it him?
Both him and Robinson have looked a bit lost when we press. It's just hard work and repetition though, I'm sure it'll come.

Quality to contribute going forward is the big question. I've been a big believer in both of them but they've not really looked the part yet. Last Sunday was encouraging though. I wouldn't want to rely on either of them to start but they looked capable of contributing. Small steps but definitely positives

Not sure we need another thread about pressing. Let’s wait till there’s some more evidence available—till the lad has had chance to play a few more minutes.

I'd offer him some profound advice...

'Work hard'

Your old man is spot on. I’ve seen the same.

Closing down is a skill, it’s not always about running constantly, it’s about narrowing and blocking angles, blocking areas of the pitch and directing them where we want them to go....and then knowing WHEN to close opponents and do it with intent.

Robinson is another who’s poor at it, he also shows the effort but he’s often just running blind and chasing the ball about making the opponents play faster...which actually is counter productive in this league as players can do it.

However, saying all that they will learn and improve. But both McB and Robinson will be on the bench while ever M&M are fit!
Neither can do what M&M can do, and turn us into a premier league quality threat up top to a championship forward line.

They've not got to 23 and 24 years old without knowing what ' closing down' is, nor 'holding position' , 'filling space', not 'selling themselves', and finally ' hard press'.

The manager instructs them when to do what and he's right on the touchline with a loud voice if they don't!! F.G.Sake.

With respect to someone's father, the man will not know the manager's instructions. Fans commend Moose and McGoldrick for being 'strong pressers' BUT they don't last 90 minutes!!

I'd tell him JOC, Coutts, Kieron Freeman, Egan, Enda Stevens and now Lunny.

Be patient, that is all.

Mcburnie will improve with good coaching.

Now tha's cut thi hair and sorted thi beard, don't listen to any twat off here, Wilder's yer man.

yep i agree, i'm guessing he has had a bit of a rocket up his are behind the scenes

I think he was a bad signing more in that we paid 18/20 million.
If people are saying he needs time we should have not bothered signing him and signed some experienced premier striker or looked abroad for our first season back in the prem.

Id Prefer Sharp to come on for one our two main strikers ( if needed) with Freeman coming on as attacking mid for the other.
5-3-1-1 to finish a game

He needs a Church service and the vicar should be giving it to him. The vicar should ask God to remove McBurnie’s adolescent genes and allow him to become an adult. Then he can stop behaving like a teenage prick and concentrate on his football maybe and we will all be better for it, not least him.

Oh and that includes this childish protesting at every decision as well. Like today: tried to pretend he should have had a penalty and the Wolves player barely touched him. He just makes himself look stupid, immature and a prat.

They've not got to 23 and 24 years old without knowing what ' closing down' is, nor 'holding position' , 'filling space', not 'selling themselves', and finally ' hard press'.

The manager instructs them when to do what and he's right on the touchline with a loud voice if they don't!! F.G.Sake.

With respect to someone's father, the man will not know the manager's instructions. Fans commend Moose and McGoldrick for being 'strong pressers' BUT they don't last 90 minutes!!

Disagree.
It’s ok knowing what to do, it’s a different ball game doing it.
I stand by my comments thanks

If we stay up by one point then that goal last week will have made him worth £20 million.

"Defended well today Oli, keep at it"

Back
Top Bottom