What was your coldest United match that you have been to

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Away game at Roker I have no idea could have been anytime from around 88 to 98, tripped coming out of the game and banged my foot, never felt a thing my feet were so numb. Woke up the next day (after a few beers and a nights dancing in Newcastle) with a toe that was black and very obviously broken.

Bayern Munich v FC Mainz Dec 2005. Officially minus 10. The half time Gluwhein was pure relief..

After the match I Joined a line of Germans trudging through the snow all headin home. Seen a few films of that a few times from a few years ago.

Carlisle away in the 80's. I genuinely wanted to leave after 10 minutes.

Is that the one where we lost 1-0 to an indirect free kick after John Burridge was penalised for taking more than four steps with the ball in his hands?

Oldham away was colder than Ferencvaros in Feb 2010, Budapest was minus 13 at the time and banks of snow 2 feet high surrounded the streets - but still Oldham was colder!

I was there too.. one side of me was white with snow. Even the car was shivering on the way home. Was that the game Brian Smith broke his leg, or am I thinking of another game v MTFC??

It was Simon Webster that broke his leg at Mansfield, but in the cup game earlier in the season. Ironically that’s why we bought Booker, whose reputation changed in the league game at Mansfield.

Brian Smith broke his leg in a home game. I think it was against Preston. Stancliffe later scored one of the phenomenal own goals I’ve ever seen.

Mansfield Town away late 80s. Driving sleet/ snow in an open away end. Think we won 1-0? (Duffield pen?) Think it took a week to chisel the ice off me
Nothing beats that ! Bob Booker had his best ever game for us that night . Still feel cold just thinking about it.

Oct 2010. Against Hull . It was absolutely bitter. What made it worse our company had a box at the kcom, however in my wizdom i elected to buy a ticket for the away end to stand with my fellow blades. In my pocket was the pass (actually had enough for about 12) for the box. I think i spent most of the match starring longingly at the box. No one else was using it. We won 1 - 0

I would imagine the Icelandic FA might dispute the title of this thread.
Baldock is probably too hot during a Sheffield winter having played for the Icelandic team Íþróttabandalag Vestmannaeyja. If you see him in gloves then that'll be cold.

It was Simon Webster that broke his leg at Mansfield, but in the cup game earlier in the season. Ironically that’s why we bought Booker, whose reputation changed in the league game at Mansfield.

Brian Smith broke his leg in a home game. I think it was against Preston. Stancliffe later scored one of the phenomenal own goals I’ve ever seen.
Bert was there when Webster broke his leg. You could hear it snap from the terrace

Frozen to death after abandoning our coach after Port Vale, boxing day 2014.

Aside from that, I seem to remember a home game about 3 years ago that was incredibly cold. Can't remember who it was against though.

Mansfield Town away late 80s. Driving sleet/ snow in an open away end. Think we won 1-0? (Duffield pen?) Think it took a week to chisel the ice off me

Had a headache and neuralgia for weeks after that game due to the driving rain, sleet and snow pounding the side of my bonce.

Norwich away in the Cup in about 96 or 97 was a real cold one.

The day we hit the woodwork about 12 times in a minute*

*Could be a slight exaggeration

The North Pole v South Pole derby was a bit chilly.

Bristol Rovers away at their old Eastville ground sometime in the late 70's ( Silent Blade ???). I remember Sabella played and it finished 0-0. It was so cold, Blades fans were setting newspapers on fire on the terrace and huddling round them to keep warm.

Ahh yes. That's correct, the old grey matter playing tricks again.... pass me another drink nurse!!!.

Was Stancliffes OG, a bullet header,,??

Newcastle away 1993 stood on open terrace corner, in the snow, lost 4-0, had bought a new United scarf which got binned after the game as if was obviously unlucky. Only smile raised was by the Newcastle fan, obviously not all with it, shouting comments from their stand. Never been so cold.
And cheering every time a clump of snow fell off the roof onto the toon fans :)

Away game at Roker I have no idea could have been anytime from around 88 to 98, tripped coming out of the game and banged my foot, never felt a thing my feet were so numb. Woke up the next day (after a few beers and a nights dancing in Newcastle) with a toe that was black and very obviously broken.
Same for me ,the wind off the North Sea was ridiculous ,no Northface coats in those days. remember walking along the road near the park after ,Blades on one side ,Mackems on the other ,no coppers. One nut job bounced across the road and just simply got told to fuck off its was too cold ,when he got back to the Sunderland fans they just told him to calm down and get home you silly bastard.

Ahh yes. That's correct, the old grey matter playing tricks again.... pass me another drink nurse!!!.

Was Stancliffes OG, a bullet header,,??

That’s right. A bullet diving header, where he did a full superman-style dive. We were 3-0 up at the time (I think), so it got quite a round of applause from all around the ground. Impressive.

Bert was there when Webster broke his leg. You could hear it snap from the terrace

Yes, it was immediately obvious to everyone what had happened. A horrible silence around the ground. He was a tough player too.

Sturm Graz vs Rheindorf 2014 .. -5 :/
had six people in my car after the game with the engine running to try and get warm :D.. won though

Back
Top Bottom