The downside of discussing the team sheet early...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GrayBlade

100% Blade
Reaction score
I’ve thought long and hard before posting this but it’s something I need to say guys. Its not a pop at an individual or individuals, just a genuine concern.

I’ve recently watched episode the Leeds documentary ‘Take us home’ and in one episode they covered Spygate. In the Sky Sports studio, Liam Rosenior’s view on the matter was “If you know the team that’s going to play against you the day before, you have an unfair advantage”. To be fair, he also mentioned other factors but this is the one what I’d like to focus on.

Anybody regularly viewing this forum in recent weeks will most likely have known our expected starting 11 and possible subs the day before our games, and if forum members can pick up on this information anybody can. If Rosenior is correct, sharing this information openly is putting our team at a disadvantage and I personally respect this guy as a professional and think that he’s right.

This isn’t anything new. Under Adams I had every starting 11 and the probable sub’s bench P.M’d to me by teatime the day before, it happens. But in a day when Premier League players and staff can’t even have a conversation without covering their lips, do we really think that other clubs won’t have people online trying to glean something (anything) that could be advantageous to their team and manager?

So what I’m suggesting is that any factual early team news is shared only by P.M.’s please? Our lads will need all the help they can get this season. UTB.

I'm in agreement. I would prefer the team news to come out at ten past 2 on a Saturday afternoon. I don't feel the need to know 2 days on advance, and as mentioned by GB, why take the chance (however small you may think it is) that info can get back to rival clubs by some shape or form.

We need every thing to go our way this season to give us a fighting chance and small details can matter.

Each to their own I suppose but I think something like team news leaked early can't be beneficial to CW or the team.

Tbf I don’t think anyone posting publicly is itk, just educated guesses. Chris is normally quite predictable with selection. I didn’t see anybody get the Blackburn team which would have been more than just a guess of correct.

Bit difficult when Wilder himself has said the back 6 pick itself and the midfield at the moment there's not much rotation.
It's only at the top end that we will change much.

True, but then CW can say one thing and do another. CW doesn't name the team 24 or 48 hours before the kick off of games, nor does his rival managers. They obviously think that there is a valid reason for not doing this and an advantage in keeping things up their sleeves. Even if you can probably name the 8 or 9 players of the opposition team most weeks in advance, you don't actually know until near kick off.

True, but then CW can say one thing and do another. CW doesn't name the team 24 or 48 hours before the kick off of games, nor does his rival managers. They obviously think that there is a valid reason for not doing this and an advantage in keeping things up their sleeves. Even if you can probably name the 8 or 9 players of the opposition team most weeks in advance, you don't actually know until near kick off.

But the thing is, Wilder clearly does name the first XI over 24 hours in advance, he just does it in confidence.

But the thing is, Wilder clearly does name the first XI over 24 hours in advance, he just does it in confidence.

Point taken and yes I'm sure he does tell the lads the team for tomorrow at Shirecliffe.

But until he starts announcing it at the pre match press conference as well, then those in confidence should probably keep it that way if at all possible, if they respect their management team.

I genuinely doubt this is an ‘issue’ at just our club. This will be the same with every team up and down the country.

Let's see if I wrong but team as been confirmed today by someone very close to CW

Same team as last week with mcburnie replacing mcgoldrick let's see if I'm wrong....... To be honest first time I've found out two days in advanced so I'm guessing very few impressed Tuesday night

Did Bielsa's spying include trawling the fan forums of upcoming opponents? Somehow I don't think so.

I just can't see a situation in which an opposition manager is on this forum, or has an acquaintance or employee who looks at this forum, and then takes our postings seriously enough to change his team/tactics. In fact, he'd be an idiot to do so, given the amount of nonsense that gets predicted or passed off as fact on here!

Worrying about nothing on this one.

Let's see if I wrong but team as been confirmed today by someone very close to CW

Same team as last week with mcburnie replacing mcgoldrick let's see if I'm wrong....... To be honest first time I've found out two days in advanced so I'm guessing very few impressed Tuesday night
Yep, already been discussed on here.

Colin i bet it is no change , Wilder will not be happy with Mcburnies shift against Blackburn

Yep can't understanding taking him off at half time...... If he was going to sit on the bench again Saturday

I take your point Scoots. To be honest it was a single player spouting to a guy who did some work for him when Adams was manager, but I assume that if they’ve been told in confidence Wilder would expect it to remain so. Also it’s not something that’s been a feature of Wilders time with us as far as I know has it?

I'm in full agreement, Gray. If you are privy to this info, then it's all well and good lettings few pals know, but breaking CW's confidence on a fans forum is not on. I'm sure CW would love to know the Chelsea line up on Thurs afternoon.

Loose lips sinks ships...and all that

So how Is fat Frank going to know who's full of shit and who isn't........ I mean I must have seen about 15 different combination of the team since last Saturday?????

Seriously, is this a fucking wind up?

A, it doesn't take a fucking genius to work out probably 8 or 9 of our starting 11

B, do you really think any Premier League Manager is going to alter his approach to playing Sheffield United because someone has posted on a forum that a certain player may or may not start?

What a load of bollocks.

I hope Frankie is not reading but I can confirm the starting XI for Saturday is:

Henderson
Freeman K. Wright Fleck Sharp
Holmes Jagielka Duffy
Stearman Clarke L. Moore S.

In a 4-3-3 formation

2pm Saturday all will be revealed......... But confirmed 6pm Tuesday evening
Maybe we’d be better off contacting Wilder then, give him the loose lips lips

A, it doesn't take a fucking genius to work out probably 8 or 9 of our starting 11

B, do you really think any Premier League Manager is going to alter his approach to playing Sheffield United because someone has posted on a forum that a certain player may or may not start?

What a load of bollocks.

What a load of bollocks.
Bollocks indeed.

Do you mean because it’s just against little old Sheffield United or PL teams general?

You see I totally disagree with you. I reckon that even knowing if one player is playing or not could make a manger tweak his formation to suit. Surely starting McBurnie for instance would give us an aerial threat that none of our other players would give and a manager may adjust his defenders accordingly. Maybe not the top teams but I’d bet the ones we need to better would be like to know. I think it’s very naive to think otherwise.

Ask yourself this. Do you reckon Wilder would be ok with it if Southampton are aware of our starting line up a day before the team sheets are handed in then? I’d bet that he wouldn’t be.

Bollocks indeed.

Do you mean because it’s just against little old Sheffield United or PL teams general?

You see I totally disagree with you. I reckon that even knowing if one player is playing or not could make a manger tweak his formation to suit. Surely starting McBurnie for instance would give us an aerial threat that none of our other players would give and a manager may adjust his defenders accordingly. Maybe not the top teams but I’d bet the ones we need to better would be like to know. I think it’s very naive to think otherwise.

Ask yourself this. Do you reckon Wilder would be ok with it if Southampton are aware of our starting line up a day before the team sheets are handed in then? I’d bet that he wouldn’t be.

I honestly couldn't disagree more....

...everyone knows what our keeper and back 5 will be and at least 2 of our midfield.....and educated guess that Oli will start up front....so that's 3 positions they may be unsure about......do you really think it will make a difference to the way Chelsea set up if it's Fleck or Freeman in midfield or Robbo/Sharp with McB......?

It will barely register.

Bollocks indeed.

But his point is that Southampton wouldn't actually be aware of our starting line up, they'd just be aware of a post on some online fans forum.
Possibly ITK. Possibly complete nutter. How would they know?

Back
Top Bottom