Starting XI as it stands (ongoing thread)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think Lundstram will start against Bournemouth - impressive in pre-season, played a looot of minutes (don't think many have played more?) and I think we'll play without a no.10 much more often than last season, especially away from home. That's not to say we won't have a go - we should, and we will - just that solidity/structure might be more of a priority than has hitherto been necessary.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Norwood Stevens
Lundstram Fleck
Sharp McGoldrick

I would be dropping Fleck for Morrison.
Don't need another sport thank you

Can't see that tbh. Think CWAK will go with the majority of last season's starting 11 with only a couple of changes. Think Fleck will deffo start.

----------Norwood
-----------------------Fleck
----------Morrison

I think Lundstram will start against Bournemouth - impressive in pre-season, played a looot of minutes (don't think many have played more?) and I think we'll play without a no.10 much more often than last season, especially away from home. That's not to say we won't have a go - we should, and we will - just that solidity/structure might be more of a priority than has hitherto been necessary.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Norwood Stevens
Lundstram Fleck
Sharp McGoldrick

Really?

I'm pretty sure Robinson and McBurrnie will start as a minimum.

One thing is for sure, you can’t often predict what Wilder will go with.

If I had to make an educated guess I’d say...

Hendo

Baldock
Basham
Egan
O’Connell
Stevens

Norwood
Fleck

Freeman

McGoldrick
Robinson

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Norwood Stevens
Lundstram Fleck
Sharp McGoldrick
So we've spent £40m (inc McBurnie) and none of them get into your team.

I think we'll see a formation and line up similar to last season against most of the league, something like this:

----------------Hendo-----------------
----Basham----Egan----O'Connell----
Baldock------------------------Stevens
------------Fleck-----Norwood--------
---------------L. Freeman----------------
-----------Sharp-----Robinson--------

Subs: Moore, Jagielka, K. Freeman, Osborn, Morrison, McGoldrick, Mousset

But against Man City, Liverpool etc it'll be a bit more:

----Jagielka----Egan----O'Connell----
Baldock-------Norwood-------Stevens
------------Fleck-----Lundstram-------
---------------McGoldrick--------------
----------------Robinson---------------

Subs: Moore, Basham, K. Freeman, Osborn, Morrison, L. Freeman, Sharp

Maybe K. Freeman will be replaced on the bench by A.N. Other due to Bash being able to play RWB if needed.
If (or when) we sign McBurnie I'm not sure who drops off the bench. Maybe he's replace Sharp in the first line up, and he comes in for Didzy in the second one with Robinson playing off him?

We have some great options, that's for sure!

Going to be an exciting season, UTB.

That's a Championship side not a Prem one. There'll be changes early doors. But I cannot see CW not playing McBurnie, Robinson and one other in attack possibly Goldie. Mousset is a bit of an unknown quantity. I think him and Billy will be on the bench.

My prediction would be a slight variation on true99blade 's with McBurnie starting instead of McGoldrick, based on that we won't buy a £20m striker and leave him on the bench.

GK Hendo

RCB Bash
CCB Egan
LCB JOC (if fit)
RWB Baldock
LWB Enda

LCM Fleck
RCM Norwood
ACM L. Freeman

FOR Robinson
FOR McBurnie

Subs : Jags, Osborn, Sharp, McG, Moore, Lundstram, Rav

I've left Mousset out because he looked well off it last night.
Unless of course we go with a 'flat' midfield 3 and then we might see Lundstram start instead of Luke Freeman.

I'm only talking about the opening day starting XI, not the strongest team as the season unfolds.

McBurnie will be in that XI, but he hasn't bedded in yet.

Robinson will very likely be in that XI too (partnering McBurnie) but I'm not convinced Wilder will drop Sharp or McGoldrick (given how well they did last year) without giving them a chance to prove they deserve to keep starting.

Freeman will likely be in the strongest XI when we play with a no.10, but I'm predicting that will be around 50-60% of games, rather than 90+% of games like last year.

Lundstram (or the new box-to-box, if we get one, or Morrison in a right-sided Fleck role) is likely to start when we don't play with a no.10

Last edited:
I think we'll see a formation and line up similar to last season against most of the league, something like this:

----Basham----Egan----O'Connell----
Baldock------------------------Stevens
-----------Sharp-----Robinson--------

Subs: Moore, Jagielka, K. Freeman, Osborn, Morrison, McGoldrick, Mousset

But against Man City, Liverpool etc it'll be a bit more:

----Jagielka----Egan----O'Connell----
Baldock-------Norwood-------Stevens
------------Fleck-----Lundstram-------
---------------McGoldrick--------------
----------------Robinson---------------

Subs: Moore, Basham, K. Freeman, Osborn, Morrison, L. Freeman, Sharp

Maybe K. Freeman will be replaced on the bench by A.N. Other due to Bash being able to play RWB if needed.
If (or when) we sign McBurnie I'm not sure who drops off the bench. Maybe he's replace Sharp in the first line up, and he comes in for Didzy in the second one with Robinson playing off him?

We have some great options, that's for sure!

Going to be an exciting season, UTB.

Just realised Lunny isn't in the 18 in that first line up...glad I'm not Wilder with this group to choose from!

Obviously Bournemouth have plenty of talent for us to worry about, but unfortunately the one most would be looking forward to seeing won't be taking part if reports are true.

David Brooks has turned his ankle in training, requiring surgery that will rule him out for 2-3 Months.

If you just listen to me on this you'll all be fine.

Fleck is an automatic starter.
So is McGoldrick.
It will take a lot for either to be dropped.
Robinson and McBurnie will be regular starters, if not both immediately.
Freeman and Mousset have their hands full to get in the team.

The Bournemouth line up will be:

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Lundstram/New Norwood Fleck Stevens
Robinson
McGoldrick

Or:

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Norwood Fleck Stevens
McGoldrick Robinson
Sharp

.........................Henderson........................
Basham.......Egan.......O'Connell.....
Baldock.......Norwood....Stevens...
......................................Fleck...........
..........McGoldrick........................
....McBurnie........Robinson.....

I'm only talking about the opening day starting XI, not the strongest team as the season unfolds.

McBurnie will be in that XI, but he hasn't bedded in yet.

Robinson will very likely be in that XI too (partnering McBurnie) but I'm not convinced Wilder will drop Sharp or McGoldrick (given how well they did last year) without giving them a chance to prove they deserve to keep starting.

Freeman will likely be in the strongest XI when we play with a no.10, but I'm predicting that will be around 50-60% of games, rather than 90+% of games like last year.

Lundstram (or the new box-to-box, if we get one, or Morrison in a right-sided Fleck role) is likely to start when we don't play with a no.10
To be honest I think your starting 11 is pretty accurate apart from Sharp. I personally see Robinson starting and then a bench full of newbies.

Henderson

Basham Egan O’Connell

K Freeman L Freeman Norwood Fleck Stevens

McBurnie. Robinson

Bench
Moore
Jags
Morrison
Lundstram
Mousset
Sharp
Duffy

I want Duffy in case we have to call on players who know the system, K Freeman for his more attack minded play to feed the new boys and Morrison on the bench just to give him the boost that he needs and we might need.

So is McGoldrick.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Robinson
McGoldrick

Or:

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
McGoldrick Robinson
Sharp

Rather listen to what Wilder thinks

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Norwood Stevens
Lundstram Fleck
Sharp McGoldrick
If we have no no. 10 then I think it more likely he will play KFreeman rather than Baldock

We'll have done well if McBurnie is involved for the Reims game, just can't see him starting a league game having played a percentage of one match.

Robinson and Sharp are clearly the scoring partnership at the moment, the only question mark is number 10 for me, between McG and Freeman. Everyone else who you'd expect will be in.

Can't see us playing defensive for Bournemouth, think we'll go for it in the first game, see where we're at.

Well this had drifted down the boards!
But here's what I suspect will start (not what I want)

-----Basham---Egan----O'Connell----
K Freeman------------------------Stevens
---------McBurnie-----McGoldrick--------

Subs: Moore, Jagielka, Robinson, Osborn, Morrison, Sharp, Mousset/Baldock

That Duffy 'strop' might be costly to the lad.

My prediction would be a slight variation on true99blade 's with McBurnie starting instead of McGoldrick, based on that we won't buy a £20m striker and leave him on the bench.

GK Hendo

RCB Bash
CCB Egan
LCB JOC (if fit)
RWB Baldock
LWB Enda

LCM Fleck
RCM Norwood
ACM L. Freeman

FOR Robinson
FOR McBurnie

Subs : Jags, Osborn, Sharp, McG, Moore, Lundstram, Rav

I've left Mousset out because he looked well off it last night.
Unless of course we go with a 'flat' midfield 3 and then we might see Lundstram start instead of Luke Freeman.

And to think just 4 years ago this lot got tonked by Gillingham 4-0.

25 (G) G Long
2 (D) K Freeman
6 (D) C Basham
15 (D) N Collins
19 (D) J McEveley
9 (M) J Murphy
17 (M) M Woolford (69)
28 (M) C McFadzean
10 (F) B Sharp
11 (F) J Baxter (45)
29 (F) C Adams (70)

1 (G) M Howard
30 (D) K Wallace
4 (M) J Wallace
16 (M) S Scougall (70)
22 (M) L Reed (69)
18 (F) C Sammon (45)
23 (F) M Higdon

SHUDDER!!!

Sharp, Bash and Freeman remain. Incidentally Egan played for Gillingham that day too.

Well if someone had said at 5pm that day we'd be starting with a £40m bench in 4 years time I would have prescribed medication.

And to think just 4 years ago this lot got tonked by Gillingham 4-0.

25 (G) G Long
2 (D) K Freeman
6 (D) C Basham
15 (D) N Collins
19 (D) J McEveley
9 (M) J Murphy
17 (M) M Woolford (69)
28 (M) C McFadzean
10 (F) B Sharp
11 (F) J Baxter (45)
29 (F) C Adams (70)

1 (G) M Howard
30 (D) K Wallace
4 (M) J Wallace
16 (M) S Scougall (70)
22 (M) L Reed (69)
18 (F) C Sammon (45)
23 (F) M Higdon

SHUDDER!!!

Sharp, Bash and Freeman remain. Incidentally Egan played for Gillingham that day too.

Well if someone had said at 5pm that day we'd be starting with a £40m bench in 4 years time I would have prescribed medication.

I was going to say the same, just think if somebody said 4 years ago that we would get to the Premier League and three of that team would be instrumental in helping us do it.
We'd have laid money on it being Sharp, Adams and Murphy

So is McGoldrick.

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Robinson
McGoldrick

Or:

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
McGoldrick Robinson
Sharp

Have Bournemouth signed all our players, when did this happen...….Board Out !!!

If we're going with two up front ( which we should ) , surely the dream pairing is Our Billy and Oli McB . Behind them should be Callum who is already looking like an exceptional talent and at the back , the tried and trusted trio of Bash , Egan and JOC with the consistently underrated Oli Norwood playing the holding role .

It goes without saying that Enda should be an automatic choice which just leaves two and they , for me would be Baldock / Freeman and Fleck / Osborn , leaving a mere 20 + million pounds worth of talent on the bench . :)

Result : Bournemouth 1 Blades 3

Happy Days .

How do you choose?

Billy and Robinson have been the best partnership in preseason.

Billy and McG got us promoted.

McG and Robinson already have a good relationship thanks to Mick McCarthy and the Republic of Ireland.

McBurnie is 17 million quid's worth of ginger hair and brilliance.

Mousset probably won't be fit, but if he is, he seems to hate Eddie Howe for holding his career up and would love to stick one on him via a goal or two.

And to think, I honestly thought we should keep Washington. Never in a million years would I have thought we'd be this well stocked.

-In my view it is imperative that we hit the ground running v. Bournemouth and that we have given ourselves the best and most taxing preparation that we can. This is usually done against the highest quality opposition possible. I held the same view when we used to go down to Cornwall with Warnock. We are going up a level this season, and the ideal preparation is to at least play teams between the level of champ & prem to prepare ourselves for this. Betis was a great level, and so was Inter last season. I would've hoped that our pre-season fixtures would've been more in line with Bournemouth's. Again, just my opinion, but when we play Bournemouth, they'll have been at a higher standard pre-season than us. I can't honestly see (other than keeping local clubs sweet), what we will gain/learn from our pre-season schedule.

I think that when you have such a large influx of players, some of whom will never have played in a CWAK system, then the last thing you want is to try to get them to blend when you're up against quality teams that may make you spend much of the game on the back foot, defending.

We needed them to have most of the ball, most of the possession, most of the play, just to get used to each other IMO

.........................Henderson........................
Basham.......Egan.......O'Connell.....
Baldock.......Norwood....Stevens...
......................................Fleck...........
..........McGoldrick........................
....McBurnie........Robinson.....
I think this would be great start

On the bench would be

Moore, Jags, Sharp, Osborn, Lundstram, L Freeman, Morrison. Of course that leaves Mousett not even in the squad which probably won't be what happens. Plus we're almost certainly going to have the premier league loan player added to what we have even if we don't sign anyone else permanently. Which means 1 more of that lot to drop out.

In time the starting 11 will probably look more like this

Henderson
Jags - Egan - JOC
Baldock - PL loan - Norwood/Fleck - Stevens
Robinson
McBurnie - Mousett

That probably leaves us with the best bench we've ever had in our history.

Just over 3 years ago our starting 11 looked like this. Not totally sure about the formation but these were the players.

Long
Baptiste - Edgar - Mceverley -Done
Coutts - Hammond - Basham - Woolford
Sharp - Adams

Last edited:

Would it be easier to identify who isn't going to be in the match day squad?
I inadvertently (by just picking the squad) omitted Stearman, Bryan(not ready), Duffy & Lundstram. I can see Lundstram being in it but can't see who to drop.

Back
Top Bottom