Stadium expansion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I loved what =they've done with their stadium and it's a brilliant ground. They built behind one end at first didn't they? We have the room to do that if we get the land behind the Kop. We could then shift the stadium so that we can build a bigger away end and sell more seats, preferably as a two tier unit
Where are the fans going while you do this?

Where are the fans going while you do this?

They went nowhere in the first phase of building the ground because the new stadium started off being built behind the existing end so a great deal of the work was done and the ground was essentially still White Hart Lane.

We could do the same by starting to build the Kop end in the land behind the Kop which would cause less disruption.

The only way to have no interruption of seating and capacity is to build a completely new stadium elsewhere.

The YouTube video explains better than I have done - wish we had that much space.

They went nowhere in the first phase of building the ground because the new stadium started off being built behind the existing end so a great deal of the work was done.

We could do the same by starting to build the Kop end in the land behind the Kop.

The only way to have no interruption of seating and capacity is to build a completely new stadium elsewhere.
So where are our fans going while you build it? For that matter where are the team going to play? Spurs has Wembley, where do United have to house 27,000 season ticket holders?
If we’re going to look at an alternate to what’s planned it has to be realistic else what’s the point? If they expand the South Stand while fans aren’t allowed in then they have room to look to knock down the Kop and start again. Otherwise I just can’t see us telling a quarter of our season ticket holders they can’t attend for each season for 3-4 seasons while they do the work.

I believe Spurs have turned their ground around by 90 degrees and built most of the stadium on spare land before rebuilding the rest. Assuming we can get permission and are allowed to we could actually do the same by using the car park. With all the land we actually own could build a really new modern and impressive stadium.

So where are our fans going while you build it? For that matter where are the team going to play? Spurs has Wembley, where do United have to house 27,000 season ticket holders?
If we’re going to look at an alternate to what’s planned it has to be realistic else what’s the point? If they expand the South Stand while fans aren’t allowed in then they have room to look to knock down the Kop and start again. Otherwise I just can’t see us telling a quarter of our season ticket holders they can’t attend for each season for 3-4 seasons while they do the work.

So we never develop our ground, is that what you want?

I believe Spurs have turned their ground around by 90 degrees and built most of the stadium on spare land before rebuilding the rest. Assuming we can get permission and are allowed to we could actually do the same by using the car park. With all the land we actually own could build a really new modern and impressive stadium.

You've explained it much better than I have ;)

Surely we would have to demolish the Hotel to do that though?

Please forget stadium expansion for now , as every penny will be needed to cling onto PL status.
We are where we are in terms of the Lane.
The big chance to change it was in the 80s with plans to turn the whole thing through 90 degrees , but it didn't happen.
Then there was the chance to shunt the whole thing towards Shoreham St + allow more room at the other end to increase the footprint of the Lane end , but we hurriedly slapped seats & a roof on the Kop instead.
Then there was the chance to move the pitch towards the SS , but we didn't , so ended up with a very small capacity John St.
There is now literally no room to increase BLS or JSS.
The Kop is a poor rake , so any attempt to give a better view or more kneeroom will actually reduce its capacity.
Bolting stuff on at the back will put people miles away.
A second tier on SS will make the ground very lopsided.
So from a design viewpoint , we are limited.
From a funding viewpoint , we've just had to borrow £50m to buy the ground.
We ain't borrowing again !
We have a squad requiring constant improvement which is not cheap.
We have reduced income due to Covid.
The ground is not going to see any major changes for a long time.
In fact , I think there's more likelihood of a new stadium , if the land at the Lane becomes desirable for other purposes.

Please forget stadium expansion for now , as every penny will be needed to cling onto PL status.
We are where we are in terms of the Lane.
The big chance to change it was in the 80s with plans to turn the whole thing through 90 degrees , but it didn't happen.
Then there was the chance to shunt the whole thing towards Shoreham St + allow more room at the other end to increase the footprint of the Lane end , but we hurriedly slapped seats & a roof on the Kop instead.
Then there was the chance to move the pitch towards the SS , but we didn't , so ended up with a very small capacity John St.
There is now literally no room to increase BLS or JSS.
The Kop is a poor rake , so any attempt to give a better view or more kneeroom will actually reduce its capacity.
Bolting stuff on at the back will put people miles away.
A second tier on SS will make the ground very lopsided.
So from a design viewpoint , we are limited.
From a funding viewpoint , we've just had to borrow £50m to buy the ground.
We ain't borrowing again !
We have a squad requiring constant improvement which is not cheap.
We have reduced income due to Covid.
The ground is not going to see any major changes for a long time.
In fact , I think there's more likelihood of a new stadium , if the land at the Lane becomes desirable for other purposes.
You forgot to mention that the sky is falling in and the devil is coming to eat us all.

So in essence, irrespective of any other factors such as Covid, we can't do any works to the Kop now anyway because of the situation in regards to the ownership and potential development of the land behind the Kop, or is that no longer an issue? I've clearly assumed wrongly that this was all sorted.

I think Bettis has recently said we are removing the posts on the kop

The other news is the Shirecliffe improvements for the first team and a new site for the academy, possibly Norton

You forgot to mention that the sky is falling in and the devil is coming to eat us all.
I must be losing my touch !
But when you've lived through 1975-1980 , it's hard to get excited about increasing capacity.
I would far rather have an extra 500 from the kop join in with my singing at the back , than have an extra 5,000 sitting in silence in some lofty tier.

Some right stupid ideas on here. Why do we need to build a new ground?
Because we nigh on sell out every week. If we don't sell out, it's due to restricted view and single tickets only being available or the ability to only give 2,700 tickets to away fans when most clubs at this level could bring double that. We also pretty much sell out every week in spite of the fact that this season the club have made it impossible for new fans to come due to requiring loyalty points to purchase tickets for any games in which the away team sell out their allocation.
We sold out all available season tickets in the early bird window and currently it will be impossible for anyone to buy one for next season if they didn't have one already this year.
We need to expand our income streams and a higher capacity is one way of doing this over time.
Another is by offering more "premium" areas which the planned second tier on the South Stand would offer as well as a larger super store.
Currently fans can't attend so if ever there was a time to do it and temporarily reduced the capacity doing so it is now.

Is that enough reasons? We are premier league and top 10 at that. We have to act like it or we won't last very long. I don't want a whole new stadium as I love the Lane, but it needs upgrading if we are to achieve our potential as a club

Because we nigh on sell out every week. If we don't sell out, it's due to restricted view and single tickets only being available or the ability to only give 2,700 tickets to away fans when most clubs at this level could bring double that. We also pretty much sell out every week in spite of the fact that this season the club have made it impossible for new fans to come due to requiring loyalty points to purchase tickets for any games in which the away team sell out their allocation.
We sold out all available season tickets in the early bird window and currently it will be impossible for anyone to buy one for next season if they didn't have one already this year.
We need to expand our income streams and a higher capacity is one way of doing this over time.
Another is by offering more "premium" areas which the planned second tier on the South Stand would offer as well as a larger super store.
Currently fans can't attend so if ever there was a time to do it and temporarily reduced the capacity doing so it is now.

Is that enough reasons? We are premier league and top 10 at that. We have to act like it or we won't last very long. I don't want a whole new stadium as I love the Lane, but it needs upgrading if we are to achieve our potential as a club

I think that capacity of the Lane could increase to up to 45,000 with the existing expansion plans which have already got approval, assuming that they'll be no problems re McCabe and land etc. I can't see 45,000 not been big enough. The Lane is also a historic stadium for many reasons, football and cricket, and there is no need to leave.

Also, irrespective of the Lane, building a new stadium would cost stupid money we don't have. Sorry to disagree but I think you're wrong here Luke.

I think that capacity of the Lane could increase to up to 45,000 with the existing expansion plans which have already got approval, assuming that they'll be no problems re McCabe and land etc. I can't see 45,000 not been big enough. The Lane is also a historic stadium for many reasons, football and cricket, and there is no need to leave.

Also, irrespective of the Lane, building a new stadium would cost stupid money we don't have. Sorry to disagree but I think you're wrong here Luke.
I'm an advocate of the current plans. I think they're the best we can hope for, afford and justify. I don't want a new ground

If the hotel has to be demolished, then demolish it. The priority should always be football, building hotels, apartments and offices etc should only be considered once the stadium is perfect.

Having a second look on Google Maps (as far as my architectural eye goes...) it looks like there’s plenty of room to rebuild the stadium without having to demolish newer buildings (the hotel). Obviously the Enterprise centre would go though.

I would get the kop done properly first. Maybe hang on for further expansion but actively seek to acquire the land and properties around the lane. We have enough space with the carpark but someone a while back posted a picture of a stadium where the road went through the stand. We could look at doing that to increase space in the future.

I would get the kop done properly first. Maybe hang on for further expansion but actively seek to acquire the land and properties around the lane. We have enough space with the carpark but someone a while back posted a picture of a stadium where the road went through the stand. We could look at doing that to increase space in the future.
I'm looking at property acquisition round there. Shoreham Street. Be a good planning application meeting. Speculate to accumulate is my motto. Live overseas so silent auction time for me. Back to viewing what's available.😎

I'm an advocate of the current plans. I think they're the best we can hope for, afford and justify. I don't want a new ground

The best we can hope for is a cheap, poorly designed extension? No one thought we had a chance of European football, but with three matches left we’re still in with a great chance.

We’re in a new era at Bramall Lane, get the small time McCabe mentality out of your head! If you can dream it, Wilder can make it happen!

Hang on a minute!

If we use the car park space to extend the ground, where on earth are we going to meet to protest?🤔

So we never develop our ground, is that what you want?
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. I think he’s saying any plans should be built around keeping our current fans able to see the games whilst it happens.

And that’s what I think, in any case.

But I don’t get the anywhere near the same urge as others to develop the ground.

I was an engineer an am tellin thee roof will fall down!

Not necessarily B56. Did you not get the following email from the Directors of Sheffield United Football Club?

Dear B56,

we were browsing this forum and were very impressed with your efforts at pork pie making.

As you will be aware, we are planning a stadium extension and would like to enlist your help. Specifically, we want to engage with you on our plans to develop a new kop on Shoreham Street.

We would like you to construct a new kop for us, made of hot water pastry, in the shape of a giant pork pie. We suggest you use the hoop construction, so no poles will be needed to hold the roof crust up. Having spoken to your tutor at Penistone Pies, we understand your pastry is so hard and durable that it would be ideal for this type of construction.

Please get in touch with us at your earliest convenience.

The Directors,

Sheffield United Football Club

Hang on a minute!

If we use the car park space to extend the ground, where on earth are we going to meet to protest?🤔

Haven’t you heard? We’re reyt good now so the car park is only needed for parking cars these days!

The best we can hope for is a cheap, poorly designed extension? No one thought we had a chance of European football, but with three matches left we’re still in with a great chance.

We’re in a new era at Bramall Lane, get the small time McCabe mentality out of your head! If you can dream it, Wilder can make it happen!
I didn't mention in the earlier posts, but I don't want us to do anything which would take away the the character of the lane being a traditional, English football ground. I appreciate the kop extension doesn't solve the rake in the lower section or the existing leg room, but doing anything about that will reduced capacity and make it unviable. Unless of course safe standing comes in which is looking more and more likely.
The current plans do also include a new covered concourse so I don't see why it is regularly criticised for not doing so.

Back
Top Bottom