Southampton - Gamesmanship to another level

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rudders

Enjoining agressivity
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread to share my frustration with the epic timewasting, playacting, injury feigning, niggly fouling, head-holding, yard stealing, foul throwing Saints team today. A Southampton team that should really be an embarrasment to themselves and their town. It's basic cheating but I suppose we've got to get used to it when a team is 70% international players and managed by a a grey pyjama wearing foreigner who doesn't have such a good sense of fair play and honest contest.
They celebrated like they had won the League at the end. Annoying and cringey. Imagine if they actually beat a top 6 team.
I used to quite like them in the days of Le Tissier but they can sod off after today.

It's happened in every game so far to a degree, we either accept it and wise up to it or we will suffer. I'm not saying we should do the same but it's coached into players at the highest level now that if they feel any contact, go down, simple as that......and the stupid inept officials fall for it every time.

I'm not saying we should do the same but it's coached into players at the highest level now that if they feel any contact, go down, simple as that......and the stupid inept officials fall for it every time.

I've lost count the number of times where even in the same passage of play, two near identical challenges have happened, only for the one on the Blades to be ignored, the one in the opposition to be given.

We need to wise up and either join the cheating twats in making sure the ref makes up his mind OR find a way to play without giving our opponents the opportunity to do it.

Just wanted to start a thread to share my frustration with the epic timewasting, playacting, injury feigning, niggly fouling, head-holding, yard stealing, foul throwing Saints team today. A Southampton team that should really be an embarrasment to themselves and their town. It's basic cheating but I suppose we've got to get used to it when a team is 70% international players and managed by a a grey pyjama wearing foreigner who doesn't have such a good sense of fair play and honest contest.
They celebrated like they had won the League at the end. Annoying and cringey. Imagine if they actually beat a top 6 team.
I used to quite like them in the days of Le Tissier but they can sod off after today.

Annoying when we’re on the end of it, but yet if we did it we’d all be saying it’s great ‘game-management’, which it is.

The problem is, when we try it we’re shit at it. Enda went down like a sack of spuds and got waved up by Mason because it looked like a dive.

When they did it it looked believable so they got away with it.

Shitwasps.

Agree gamesmanship goes up a level in the Prem and I'm not a fan but a long shot but it's not a reason or excuse for losing today

Agreed. It's a bit tiresome blaming officials. Despite all the vitriol towards Lee Mason I am not sure he got much wrong today. I'll get panned for that but can any one tell me the bad decisions? The handball went to VAR and did not seem clear cut at real speed.

Agreed. It's a bit tiresome blaming officials. Despite all the vitriol towards Lee Mason I am not sure he got much wrong today. I'll get panned for that but can any one tell me the bad decisions? The handball went to VAR and did not seem clear cut at real speed.
That red card for a start. Sharp barely touched that lads shin but he went down like hed been shot and the ref fell for it. Was a foul, a yellow maybe but not a red

Apart from giving them a free kick everytime they fell over ,and us fuck all ,being completely biased in their favour , and relying on the shittest linesman in linesmanland on the JSS side ,Im sure you're right no matter how tiresome it is. Full weight useless cunt.

Come on Mason had a mare.... No consistency with his decisions. We were pulled back taking free kicks and throw ins... They were allowed to take em from wherever they wanted......the foul throw rule doesn't apply in the premier league apparently.
An example of a decision he got wrong.... Where was the card for the Southampton player when Baldock was clean away on the edge of their box in the first half?
I'm amazed you don't think Mason wasn't plain awful today.

The problem is, when we try it we’re shit at it. Enda went down like a sack of spuds and got waved up by Mason because it looked like a dive.

When they did it it looked believable so they got away with it.

Shitwasps.
Admittedly I was on the kop but know the ‘foul’ you mean. I thought he was tripped clear and simple, was he not?

The falling over before you even get a touch because you can sense someone breathing down your neck needs wiping out. We have a couple who do it although they have the decency to wait for the slight nudge. Baldock is one. Sadly it’s the game now. There was one where their player started falling before he even got touched that I noticed which was infuriating but overall I really wouldn’t say they did it in the extreme. (But I’m at the back of the kop so understand if I’m mistaken)

Mason didn't look remotely interested in checking VAR for the handball so I'm not sure what was said in his earpiece....the red for Sharp was right, nasty foul, Billy has let himself and the club down there, wasn't even looking at the ball.....Soton players were conning him all game though and he was happy to let them do it.

I’m not sure that their manager not being born in England made him a bigger cunt, other than that, fair enough post.

Admittedly I was on the kop but know the ‘foul’ you mean. I thought he was tripped clear and simple, was he not?

The falling over before you even get a touch because you can sense someone breathing down your neck needs wiping out. We have a couple who do it although they have the decency to wait for the slight nudge. Baldock is one. Sadly it’s the game now. There was one where their player started falling before he even got touched that I noticed which was infuriating but overall I really wouldn’t say they did it in the extreme. (But I’m at the back of the kop so understand if I’m mistaken)

He was fouled but didn’t need the theatrics. He actually did himself out of a foul.

They were pretty good at getting touched and laying down and subsequently winning a free kick.

Adams fouled our defenders numerous times by looking at the defender and not the ball whenever it came forward, completely put Egan off a number of times but nothing was given. Compare that to McBurnie, who won little against them despite his height and again we showed naivety.

The handball rule is that if a player's hand or arm has made their body "unnaturally bigger" . Ward-Prowse stuck his arm out.

This is the grey area with VAR, it’s good and works on offside, ball in/out, mistaken identity etc.

It doesn’t work on subjective judgements like the handball. Is the VAR bloke likely to overrule his pal on the pitch and show him up or just nod along with the decision and reinforce that the ref was right in the first place?! If he overrules it shows that these supposed ‘top refs’ are actually charlatans so they have a vested interest in ratifying the decision.

Mason didn't look remotely interested in checking VAR for the handball so I'm not sure what was said in his earpiece....the red for Sharp was right, nasty foul, Billy has let himself and the club down there, wasn't even looking at the ball.....Soton players were conning him all game though and he was happy to let them do it.
He doesn’t have to check VAR in that situation, it’s done automatically. So he delayed the taking of the corner while it was checked

VAR said it wasnt?
This is the grey area with VAR, it’s good and works on offside, ball in/out, mistaken identity etc.

It doesn’t work on subjective judgements like the handball. Is the VAR bloke likely to overrule his pal on the pitch and show him up or just nod along with the decision and reinforce that the ref was right in the first place?! If he overrules it shows that these supposed ‘top refs’ are actually charlatans so they have a vested interest in ratifying the decision.
This isn’t a problem with VAR, it’s how the PL have said they want it used to stop refs going over to the halfway line all the time. They will only overule the referee if it’s a clear and obvious error.
The red card would have been screamed for by everyone it if was against us, and seeing it again it’s certainly not an obvious error from the ref. He’s caught him below the knee when his head has gone and was really clumsy. It was a stupid challenge from our captain which was a shame as he’d looked really lively when he came on.
I thought the ref wasn’t even handed in the way he saw some of their challenges but our goal was offside, the red is fair, and it wasn’t a clear hand ball. VAR did it’s job as asked.

They can fuck off.

They weren't great, they didn't create much. As cynical as side as I've seen.

It wound me up how their fans came out of the away end lauding it up, as if they'd just played us off the park. They were lucky to get what they did.

It's happened in every game so far to a degree, we either accept it and wise up to it or we will suffer. I'm not saying we should do the same but it's coached into players at the highest level now that if they feel any contact, go down, simple as that......and the stupid inept officials fall for it every time.

And I was saying this at full time. It pisses me off. Anything is a foul. It's a good job they rely on their wealth to impress the ladies because they aren't bagging anyone based on masculinity are they?! Tarts.

It's proper annoying because we either stick to our belief it should toughen up and give away fouls, lose points and wait for the league to toughen up which will never happen unless it's a league-wide initiative. So instead, clubs have to 'wise up' i.e. join in with the diving and the problem maintains itself.

Back
Top Bottom