So how exactly could we spend the munneh?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
Let's say WIlder gets £8m of the Brooks fee on top of £5m he had previously. So £13m to spend.

We've had the 'how much will he get' threads, but what could we actually do with it? Let's have some specific examples.

Sam Gallagher
- £3.5m rising to £5m, 20% sell on clause. A long term target of Wilder's, a young striker with great potential who's already proven himself in the Championship to a large extent. Someone to score 15+ goals and build our forward line around long term. Would be an asset for the club as he should only increase in value under the right management.

Marcus Maddison
- £2.5m. Obvious direct Brooks replacement. He's a bit older, but is an exciting, productive attacking midfielder capable of the spectacular who plays the same positions and is left footed. Would also provide a very handy option as an attacking LWB.

John Egan - £2.5m. Solid CB at a good age with his best years ahead of him who would cover the CB and RCB positions. It would complete our defence and strengthen our starting line up.

Jack Robinson
- Free. A very useful, versatile addition who'd probably replace Stevens at LWB as well as offering perfect competition for O'Connell at LCB. We could stretch a bit further than we might have previously with his wage demands.

Kasey Palmer
or Harry Wilson - Loan, 500k fee. Ball carrying attacking midfielders. Yes it would be dead money but these sort of loans give us the best chance of going up, and paying these fees is more justifiable if we've raised a lot through player sales. These two would also be Brooks replacements but more likely starters. Would potentially take Holmes' place in the squad.

Lys Mousset - Loan, part of the Brooks deal. This would be a quality and unexpected loan signing. He's a highly rated player who started games for Bournemouth last season. Has the physical and technical attributes to make things happen up front. Black and French.

£9m rising to £10.5m would be the total spend there.

That would be reasonable, and we would have gained considerable assets in the process, with four permanently signed young players who haven't hit their prime yet. On top of those we'd have two quality attacking loanees who could give us that much needed pace and cutting edge.

But I'm really not convinced this represents much more than what we would've been able to do anyway, as I think there's a good chance Wilder's initial budget was more than £5m - the indications were that it's a competitive budget, and £5m is hardly that these days.

Nevertheless, the above would give us a very good squad and I'd strongly fancy us to finish in the top 6.

I always appreciate your scouting Ricky but where are the goals?
Gallagher seems a massive gamble at £3.5m plus add-ons for the amount of goals he gets. Ok, he could lead the line and be more of a target man but for who if we don't expect Sharp and Leon to mirror last season?

Mousset is exciting but obviously the least likey due to us not even being linked. I really like the look of him but with his only decent tally being 14 in Ligue 2 with Le Harve its still not a guaranteed 15-20 goals is it?

Where's this Mousset link coming from? Unless they've spent big on a couple of forwards he would be an integral part of their squad for this season. And if he is surplus, I'm not sure he'd want to drop into the championship or need to.

Egan and Maddison are going to be hard to pull away, we might have to pay over the odds for them both but personally I think our entire back line would be fantastic with those 2 additions.

Let's be fair though, the only one we will be getting any time soon is Robinson as he's a free agent and to be honest I can't think what he's like for the life of me.

• Banned
I always appreciate your scouting Ricky but where are the goals?
Gallagher seems a massive gamble at £3.5m plus add-ons for the amount of goals he gets. Ok, he could lead the line and be more of a target man but for who if we don't expect Sharp and Leon to mirror last season?

Mousset is exciting but obviously the least likey due to us not even being linked. I really like the look of him but with his only decent tally being 14 in Ligue 2 with Le Harve its still not a guaranteed 15-20 goals is it?

Clarke and Sharp will still score a few. I'd expect double figures from Gallagher and Mousset if they played regularly. Then we'd have far more goals from attacking midfield with Palmer/Wilson and Maddison. I don't think goals would be a problem at all.

Where's this Mousset link coming from? Unless they've spent big on a couple of forwards he would be an integral part of their squad for this season. And if he is surplus, I'm not sure he'd want to drop into the championship or need to.

Not sure where it's come from but it would make sense. He's the sort of attacker we'll be looking for on loan and I'm sure we will have considered him last August when we ultimately tried and failed to get Jerome Sinclair. His name will have been mentioned in negotiations. Whether they'll let him go I don't know. They have Defoe, Callum Wilson and Josh King and could sign other strikers so I'd say it's a good possibility.

Clarke and Sharp will still score a few. I'd expect double figures from Gallagher and Mousset if they played regularly. Then we'd have far more goals from attacking midfield with Palmer/Wilson and Maddison. I don't think goals would be a problem at all.

Not sure where it's come from but it would make sense. He's the sort of attacker we'll be looking for on loan and I'm sure we will have considered him last August when we ultimately tried and failed to get Jerome Sinclair. His name will have been mentioned in negotiations. Whether they'll let him go I don't know. They have Defoe, Callum Wilson and Josh King and could sign other strikers so I'd say it's a good possibility.

Defoe is more and more a bit part player. I read somewhere of King being linked with a move away, Newcastle was it? Doesn't leave them with much and Mousset, mainly from the bench, made 20+ appearances last season. As I said, don't see it and don't think the player will see it either.

I really like the look of him but with his only decent tally being 14 in Ligue 2 with Le Harve its still not a guaranteed 15-20 goals is it?

Can you think of a player who is guaranteed 15-20 goals, within our budget?

I also think some of it should go on a statue of Brooks nutmegging Jack Hunt

Such a symbolic moment. And I think we realised it instantly. But it was tinged with that nagging gut feeling that it was 'peak Brooks'. And so it proved. Although the Leeds winner was great too.

I don't think it's as simple as dividing the transfer fee across new players For one thing, each signing will have associated other costs - times four or five depending on how many players we're looking at.

Also, Brooks only took one wage, and presumably not and especially high one at that. So again the wage budget will go up hugely if we bring in five players.

Basically we could spend, say, £6—8M on transfer fees and still have used all the Brooks money. (I've not actually done the maths of course).

I don't think it's as simple as dividing the transfer fee across new players For one thing, each signing will have associated other costs - times four or five depending on how many players we're looking at.

Also, Brooks only took one wage, and presumably not and especially high one at that. So again the wage budget will go up hugely if we bring in five players.

Basically we could spend, say, £6—8M on transfer fees and still have used all the Brooks money. (I've not actually done the maths of course).

All points of consideration, but in my example I have us spending £9m up front out of the £13m hypothetical budget.

Such a symbolic moment. And I think we realised it instantly. But it was tinged with that nagging gut feeling that it was 'peak Brooks'. And so it proved. Although the Leeds winner was great too.

He was largely anonymous in the second half of the season when opposing teams had worked him out.

He needs space and a single marker. Not sure he'll ever get that at Prem level.

I think we should use the money to invest in a new urinal behind the Kop, name it after Brooks and have pictures of his agent transposed on the back of the urinal .

At least Brooks will know then that whatever happens in his career from now on, he's left a lasting legacy !

I also think we could use it to fund improvements to the Kop and a supertram extension up to Bramall Lane

Would have zero complaints if they used to to rebuild the Kop properly.

Would have zero complaints if they used to to rebuild the Kop properly.

With safe standing on it's way, they could turn it into something akin to Borussia Dortmunds 'yellow wall'

Can you think of a player who is guaranteed 15-20 goals, within our budget?
Personally (gaurnteed was a stupid word for me to use but) Hogan and Marriott for me.
Hogan has got 15 in the Championship before at Brentford and I'd like to think we make more chances than they did.
Marriott seem like Billy but 10 years younger. He got 27 last and has a boat load of confidence and momentum. To be honest I reckon both would cost about £6m but the biggest stumbling block would be Hogans wages, Villa will have thrown money at him whereas Marriott would probably cost a bit less.

Personally (gaurnteed was a stupid word for me to use but) Hogan and Marriott for me.
Hogan has got 15 in the Championship before at Brentford and I'd like to think we make more chances than they did.
Marriott seem like Billy but 10 years younger. He got 27 last and has a boat load of confidence and momentum. To be honest I reckon both would cost about £6m but the biggest stumbling block would be Hogans wages, Villa will have thrown money at him whereas Marriott would probably cost a bit less.

Fair enough. I would personally say that Hogan is unattainable (for the reasons you mentioned) but Marriot may be an option, providing there's not too much competition.

Maddison, Marriott, Gallagher and mousett. Heard he's a perm if he wants to come. Maddison. Excellent addition. Near perfect replacement for brooks minus the age and international stance. Marriott. As many have seen on here. I'm a bit of a bender for him. Guys a top class striker. And would easily cut it in this league. Gallagher. Has a point to prove. Young so can still improve. Mousett. Similar to Gallagher. Scored 3 in 29 appearances. So many feels surplus to requirements. A perm move would be amazing. But all rumours at the moment.

When we talk about wanting strikers, which clubs two strikers scored most goals in the championship last season I wonder?
We can't stand still though. We can't rely on that happening again, especially with Leon and Billys age.
I'd like more goals from midfield to be honest but Freeman might bring some back in that area.
Up top I want a younger, more polished Donaldson. Gallagher might be that guy, time will tell.

Do other clubs see the Brooks deal and think, ah Wilder has more money to spend so lets up the price, we all no Wilder won't be conned but will it happen?

The daily mirror reckons Wilder's budget before the Brooks money stands at £10mil.

Back
Top Bottom