Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have never checked or catalogued my programmes might have to do it sometime there may be some gems in there .
UTB NBM

I've done mine loads of times, but never actually finished, resulting in ending up doing them all over again... Another attempt going to kick off shortly... As they all need to go on the shelves where they should be so I can actually get in my office.

Not sure that he did do a deal, the story was that Alan got himself round to Northends the printers and managed to get a box one way or the other, with the emphasis on the 'other'. :oops:;)
Ah that wouldn't surprise me! He did tell me he spoke to A Daykin!

If anyone has the following spares I’d happily pay a fiver each or make a donation to S2 4SU for the following;
All Blades AWAY programmes
v Blackpool (league cup Rd 2) 1993/94
v Stockport 1999/2000
v Blackpool 2007/08
v Huddersfield (league cup Rd 2) 2008/09
v Hartlepool Utd (league cup Rd 1) 2011/12
Along with Manchester United away 1946/47 and Wolves home 1946/47 (the rarest Blades home programme) these are the only ones I need league and cup back to 1944. The annoying thing was that I went to 4 of the five games

I've done mine loads of times, but never actually finished, resulting in ending up doing them all over again... Another attempt going to kick off shortly... As they all need to go on the shelves where they should be so I can actually get in my office.
hi foxy luckily or unluckily all mine are boxed and in the loft at my brothers house , as said to someone before there could be some gems in there as a lot were passed down from our grandparents and it's been years since I looked at them all , I know there's bound volumes but not really old ones from about 87 - 99 I think .
UTB NBM

Have to say that Sharrowblades Flickr is without doubt the best way to reference what you have/ need. A real goldmine of pictures and information with regards to programmes etc
I have to say I've never really been a collector as such my bro n dad had season tickets from about 68 when he had to pack up playing Saturday's and I have had 1 from 73 onwards and we always got programmes my grandad went from yrs before and we just got handed down them and also given from other People who didn't want them any more
UTB NBM

Programme Review No 6, West Ham
img953.jpg
The Hammer – Bumper 116 page issue. Unfortunately, there's 34 pages of adverts in that for your £3.50

Another unimaginative cover with bog standard player picture.....surely somebody will do something different.

Its small type so not the easiest to read

No great content from Pellegrini, don't think he knew us

'Sheffield united are a really good team, with a 'we may not always win, but we're going to have a go attitude', Mark Noble informs us.

I think I'll pass on the Player of the Year Awards at £295 a pop.

The OSB (Official supporters Board) have a double page spread and refers to away ticket allocation. There's something to drool over for you, who love the loyality points threads.

Decent section on us, .
Interestingly, West Ham note that United have a different attitude when it comes to crossing the ball, They rank 17th in the prem, we rank 4th for number of crosses. Maybe that's why we are labelled direct. I found that quite startling, as we never lump the ball in when we have a free kick on halfway, and there's a common frustration at times that we don't get it in when we should. Still, what do I know.
Its interesting to notice that 2 of the three sides above us are also hoof ball merchants Liverpool and Man City.

'Black Hammers History month includes the Clyde Best Story, probably the first black player I remember seeing in this country.

There's a large section on the Academy and the girls which is becoming a more popular theme. All the tables and stats are readily available.

Big name player is, literally, Jacynta Galabadaarachchi, at £1.50 a letter, that makes the shirt somewhat expensive, an extra £24.

The kids have a double page, which features Bubbles the bear, not the chimp, I confess I always wanted Michael Jackson to release his cover version of I'm forever blowing Bubbles' but that would be so wrong. Sorry, I have no shame. no sign of Herbie Hammer.

Bubbles predicts a 3-1 win.

Bizarrely, there's a double page spread on some West ham fan who's documenting his efforts on Championship manager 2001.

Then comes James Corden waxing lyrical about his efforts to watch West Ham. I think we'll leave it there

Your right, it is rare but most genuine collectors somehow manage to get a copy. I know from recent years that United sell any boxes of postponed programmes they’ve opened and send the rest back. Scunthorpe (Xmas) and Brentford are two that jump to mind in league 1. I’m assuming a box contains 50? The further back you go the harder some can get to find if a complete new programme was issued. Wigan (81/2), and Cardiff (68/9 & 76/7) are tricky but not impossible. Wolves (55/6) & Villa (53/4) are harder but the tough ones are Portsmouth (46/7) Hull (52/3) and Ipswich (73/4). We also had a game against Cardiff (58/9) but I don’t know of anyone who has a copy, never mind seen one or know if it genuinely exists

Are you referring to this...88A7A6FC-5F42-4E0A-B9C3-2C7E0EA33AEC.jpeg2C9BE6AE-D761-45FD-8031-9E0ED2EB7CD4.jpeg1727A1F2-0C4B-42C7-9FF8-E139C06F83FC.jpeg88A7A6FC-5F42-4E0A-B9C3-2C7E0EA33AEC.jpeg2C9BE6AE-D761-45FD-8031-9E0ED2EB7CD4.jpeg1727A1F2-0C4B-42C7-9FF8-E139C06F83FC.jpeg9842D15A-893F-4084-8989-14DBA9DD7578.jpeg

Attachments

• FD25E916-2B1B-4608-9164-16D3B9E2061E.jpeg
    FD25E916-2B1B-4608-9164-16D3B9E2061E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 02696B12-EC54-44EB-9395-AB3D10474A47.jpeg
    02696B12-EC54-44EB-9395-AB3D10474A47.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 8F508688-51C2-4213-A91C-1D4848FBD9E8.jpeg
    8F508688-51C2-4213-A91C-1D4848FBD9E8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm not a collector of anything myself. But, I do like going to watch games. Friendlies, overseas, youth games. Anything really. That brings me into the orbit of a few people who are collectors. I do have a strange fascination about it all. I sort of get the pursuit of paper, it's out there, there aren't many, let's track it down, and bag it. But, here's my dilemma. That (v Hull, February 1953) isn't a football programme. A football programme provides information on, and a souvenir of, a game that was played. That game wasn't. I know that'll sound pedantic. And, I'm not trying to be critical of the massed ranks of collectors. But - "have you got a collection of United programmes?" - "yes, including games that don't exist". It's pushing the boundary a bit.

I'm not a collector of anything myself. But, I do like going to watch games. Friendlies, overseas, youth games. Anything really. That brings me into the orbit of a few people who are collectors. I do have a strange fascination about it all. I sort of get the pursuit of paper, it's out there, there aren't many, let's track it down, and bag it. But, here's my dilemma. That (v Hull, February 1953) isn't a football programme. A football programme provides information on, and a souvenir of, a game that was played. That game wasn't. I know that'll sound pedantic. And, I'm not trying to be critical of the massed ranks of collectors. But - "have you got a collection of United programmes?" - "yes, including games that don't exist". It's pushing the boundary a bit.

I understand that reasoning Phil, ........ but to the CBF and the like, you're treading on sacred ground my friend.
It is a football programme because it exists, whether it was played or not.
I remember going to Crawley a few seasons ago, just before christmas (Tony McMahon's finest hour) , it rained non-stop, by Northampton, the little uns were telling me to turn around because it would be off. By the M25, I'd reached the point of no return, if they called it off I was still going. They understood....there was a programme.....I love the smell of a freshly printed programme in the afternoon .....and I needed it.

Oh and happy birthday mate.

I understand that reasoning Phil, ........ but to the CBF and the like, you're treading on sacred ground my friend.
It is a football programme because it exists, whether it was played or not.
I remember going to Crawley a few seasons ago, just before christmas (Tony McMahon's finest hour) , it rained non-stop, by Northampton, the little uns were telling me to turn around because it would be off. By the M25, I'd reached the point of no return, if they called it off I was still going. They understood....there was a programme.....I love the smell of a freshly printed programme in the afternoon .....and I needed it.

Oh and happy birthday mate.
Thanks Sharrowblade
Didn't you "buy" an invite this year? We're having a great time.

View attachment 63491
Afraid not. The rearranged game at the end of the season is probably the most common programme from the promotion season. This is the original postponed programme

Ah well, I'm not a collector or anything, my dad has given me a pile from years gone by. I've also got a few from drunken eBay purchases! I'll see if there are any of interest...

I've just chucked a load out...kept anything pre mid 90s from the 50s but anything post Bassett other than the big games I've got shut of. Should have seen if anyone wanted them on here but doubt fans are looking for a programme from Stockport away in 1999!

I've got 3 Darlington promotion programme and 2 from Leicester. Also a load from the 60s.

Due to moving house I've prob binned around 1,000 programmes and lots of old papers/flashing blades. It was time. They were taking up space and I never looked back at them.

I've just chucked a load out...kept anything pre mid 90s from the 50s but anything post Bassett other than the big games I've got shut of. Should have seen if anyone wanted them on here but doubt fans are looking for a programme from Stockport away in 1999!

I've got 3 Darlington promotion programme and 2 from Leicester. Also a load from the 60s.

Due to moving house I've prob binned around 1,000 programmes and lots of old papers/flashing blades. It was time. They were taking up space and I never looked back at them.
This is the worst thing Bert has ever seen on this forum.

[QUOTE="Deadbat, post: 2286084, member: Should have seen if anyone wanted them on here but doubt fans are looking for a programme from Stockport away in 1999!
[/QUOTE]

See post 94 😭😉

Can relate to that. As part of the great clearout (downsizing due to emigration) I got rid of a suitcase - literally - full of programmes from the 70's to 2000s. Kept a couple of interest, but the rest went on Gumtree free to a good home. Went to a Blade (showed me his season ticket) so I was pleased they found a good home. Have never missed them.
The vinyl collection that was carbooted for a pittance is sorely missed alas.

Remembrance Day.

Let Again, poor showing from United for their remembrance programme tomorrow.

Last year went to Puigstreet, Passchendaele, Ypres, Vimy Ridge, Delville Wood, Tyne Cot, Thiepval, Villiers-Bretonneaux, Beaumont Hamel, the Footballers Battalion Memorial at Longueval and Serre, where the Sheffield City Battalion came to grief.

Put some effort in lads next year will you. If this lot can I'm sure we can.

35428468532_164745b567_c.jpg31238026277_5f7100fe1b_c.jpg46801667454_cc4934613a_c.jpg

Programme Review No 7, Spurs

img966.jpg

84 page effort with a simple but striking cover, for their remembrance programme.

Not much from Poch, although he did acknowledge that United had quality and this would be a tough game.

Interesting 'One and Only section'. Not a homage to Chesney Hawkes but to those players who played just the one game for Spurs during WW1.

Good goalkeepers were in shortage it appeared.

In the Big Interview, Ben Davies echoed Poch and added 'United have been a breath of fresh air, with an exciting style of play'. Good lad.

Past meetings mention that this would be our seventh meeting with Spurs in the Premier era, 5 of the previous six encounters are mentioned but strangely not the 6-0 game (lol).

They do remind us that we haven't won in a Premier league game in London since 1992, and that Sheffield United are the only team in the Premier that Harry Kane hasn't scored against.

Lunny is the one to watch in the United section. The 'Times they are a changin'

Profile on kits of the past, which then leads into the now standard Academy, U23s and womens sections.

There's a pull out junior magazine for the youngsters and a double page spread on players associated with both teams, we'll leave the Martin Peters bit (lol).

One for the CBF 'the Ex Files', spotlight on players who were with the Academy but got released but went onto to become professionals. Calum Butcher now with Dundee United.

Its a Good idea for our programme, although I once showed Travis Binnion a a load of early Academy programmes and he said most of them were in prison.

Finally, a double page spread on European Championship Qualifiers, this week Ukraine, slightly odd but they linked it to former player Sergei Rebrov.

Read this post match at Haringey Borough, which is just along White Hart Lane.

A question of storage

How do your store your programmes, and perhaps more importantly where?

Well, you need a lot of space,.... and for many that's a major problem.

Quite simply many don't have it, without sending one of the kids into foster care so you can adapt their bedroom.

In yesteryear there could be dozens of shoe boxes under the bed, but there was always the danger the missus would crush them when she turned over in bed.

Keep them dry and out of sunlight, and not in an attic unless its fully insulated. theres been many a collection left in suitcases upstairs. Unfortunately, a lot of 50s and 60s programmes suffer from staple bleed. The garage is to be avoided at all cost. I once knew of an old lady who had a large collection of 20s and 30s programmes that for some reason had always sat on the top of a cupboard in the kitchen. They'd been there for years but by the time she wanted rid they'd gone yellow and were all stuck together with chip fat.

In theory official club binders, sound a good idea but in reality they're not that practical. They can look good on a bookcase, but tend to cater only for modern issues and then only home games. Away programmes come in all shapes and sizes. I hate those bloody square ones, and for those of you can remember back in the 70s. Several teams like Doncaster, Plymouth, Rotherham and probably most famously Derby went for a newspaper format. Horrendous.

A lot of avid collectors don't collect modern issues because of this, they are weighty, not a great value, and will set u back near on £200 a season if you do home and away and friendlies. The downside is then its not a full collection.

Consider a purchase of non acidic paper bags like those which comic collectors use if you've got pre-war, keep them secure.

They're are some good binder/folders out there, which do the job but these cant be considered for modern issues that still remains a conundrum for most.

programmes sorted.jpgstorage.png
Good effort.........................................................................................................................Could do better...now where did i put that Wolves programme..

A question of storage

Quite simply many don't have it, without sending one of the kids into foster care so you can adapt their bedroom.

In yesteryear there could be dozens of shoe boxes under the bed, but there was always the danger the missus would crush them when she turned over in bed.

Keep them dry and out of sunlight, and not in an attic unless its fully insulated. theres been many a collection left in suitcases upstairs. Unfortunately, a lot of 50s and 60s programmes suffer from staple bleed. The garage is to be avoided at all cost. I once knew of an old lady who had a large collection of 20s and 30s programmes that for some reason had always sat on the top of a cupboard in the kitchen. They'd been there for years but by the time she wanted rid they'd gone yellow and were all stuck together with chip fat.

In theory official club binders, sound a good idea but in reality they're not that practical. They can look good on a bookcase, but tend to cater only for modern issues and then only home games. Away programmes come in all shapes and sizes. I hate those bloody square ones, and for those of you can remember back in the 70s. Several teams like Doncaster, Plymouth, Rotherham and probably most famously Derby went for a newspaper format. Horrendous.

A lot of avid collectors don't collect modern issues because of this, they are weighty, not a great value, and will set u back near on £200 a season if you do home and away and friendlies. The downside is then its not a full collection.

Consider a purchase of non acidic paper bags like those which comic collectors use if you've got pre-war, keep them secure.

They're are some good binder/folders out there, which do the job but these cant be considered for modern issues that still remains a conundrum for most.

View attachment 65097View attachment 65098
Good effort.........................................................................................................................Could do better...now where did i put that Wolves programme..

Bert has about 3,000 in his garage, they've been there 25 years and all still in good order.

A question of storage

View attachment 65097View attachment 65098

That last one is like my office.

I am in the process of sorting them into box files, with the actual programmes inside comic bags though.

Back
Top Bottom