PL clubs taking furlough payment option

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Akinbiyi

Banned
Reaction score
Norwich, Newcastle and Spurs, rich Premier League clubs, taking advantage of the governments payment scheme for non-playing staff, earning probably circa 18k a year upwards. When there are players earning 10x that a WEEK - it doesn't sit right with me. You've got players in Germany taking 20% pay cuts so the clubs can keep the staff wages rolling, none of that here.
Bournemouth refusing to pay for the accomodation of their young players after this week despite being happy to spunk £20mil on Dominic Solanke a year or so ago.

Those 4 are on the shit list. I sincerely hope we have more about us than that. Would be better PR still if Chris, Alan and the players took a similar temporary cut to the German lads to ensure the staff are paid accordingly.

Shit times all round for everyone but when clubs like SPURS are taking this road something needs doing. The PL is swimming in money, has been for years, but they're taking handouts from the government which I'm sure weren't intended for multi-million pound corporations such as Premier League football clubs or airlines (looking at you EasyJet, Virgin)

You are dead right. It's immoral.

I think the clubs will only be able to claim back maximum £2500 per month per player (just over £600.00 per week).

Norwich, Newcastle and Spurs, rich Premier League clubs, taking advantage of the governments payment scheme for non-playing staff, earning probably circa 18k a year upwards. When there are players earning 10x that a WEEK - it doesn't sit right with me. You've got players in Germany taking 20% pay cuts so the clubs can keep the staff wages rolling, none of that here.
Bournemouth refusing to pay for the accomodation of their young players after this week despite being happy to spunk £20mil on Dominic Solanke a year or so ago.

Those 4 are on the shit list. I sincerely hope we have more about us than that. Would be better PR still if Chris, Alan and the players took a similar temporary cut to the German lads to ensure the staff are paid accordingly.

Shit times all round for everyone but when clubs like SPURS are taking this road something needs doing. The PL is swimming in money, has been for years, but they're taking handouts from the government which I'm sure weren't intended for multi-million pound corporations such as Premier League football clubs or airlines (looking at you EasyJet, Virgin)

With how much money football contributes in tax to this country, I very much doubt the government are going to worry about it.

Why shouldn't Easyjet and Virgin take advantage of the furlough scheme? Or would you rather they went under instead?

• Banned
With how much money football contributes in tax to this country, I very much doubt the government are going to worry about it.

Why shouldn't Easyjet and Virgin take advantage of the furlough scheme? Or would you rather they went under instead?

I'm not even going to use any words after this, just look at these screen clips and please tell me you're joking.

1585740507680.png

1585740566788.png

Forcing players to take a pay cut is on the agenda of the meeting later this week.

I agree they should pay their non playing staff, especially at the lower end of the pay scale. As you pointed out it’s pittance compared to the playing staffs wages.

I don’t think a lot of clubs are as flush with cash as we think, spurs with the new stadium, we have spent money they hasn’t (and may never) come in on Berge etc.

Don't all clubs take out insurance policies regarding their playing staff or does that just cover career ending injuries ? UTB

I'm not even going to use any words after this, just look at these screen clips and please tell me you're joking.

View attachment 75564

View attachment 75565

So what? You do realise shareholders are also normal people as well, we're not all fat cats living in mansions, also some people rely on those dividends are part of their retirement income. If you read the news, you'll see that many companies are now cancelling their dividends, but Easyjet's dividend was paid before the country went into complete lock down.

How long do you think an airline can survive when it's entire fleet of planes are grounded with wages and other overheads to pay? The government should be applauded for supporting well run companies which are experiencing financial difficulty through no fault of it's own.

I would not shed 1 tear if Virgin/Easyjet/Ryanair etc went under from an economic point of view. Branson is worth a fortune, lets see him put 95% of his wealth in first before the good old tax payer contributes. He would have to live on ONLY $200 million!

This is not about money it is about morality. It is immoral to claim money when companies are filling their boots, & more importantly have been for years. Yes, it has always happened to some degree, but at this present time it is not on.

I would be much more concerned about the poor souls who would lose their jobs if these companies went under, rather than owners & shareholders.

To my mind the issue is you'd start with the highest wage earners and not ask those at the bottom to do something those at the top won't do. For some reason (because they're thoughtless idiots), they've started with the bottom. I'd be 100% confident that if you said to the players you wanted them to take a pay cut and in return every one of the non-playing staff/matchday staff earning under 50k will be fully paid, they'd do it.
I'd hope if United were to follow suit, we'd have talks with the players first and announce it all together.

One other important point of note, Gordon Taylor seems conspicuous by his absence since the lockdown. Normally he's desperate to be involved, and talking to anyone who'll put a microphone in front of him but he's oddly quiet.

Last edited:
To my mind the issue is you'd start with the highest wage earners and not ask those at the bottom to do something those at the top won't do, and for some reason (because they're thoughtless idiots, they've started with the bottom). I'd hope if United were to follow suit, we'd have talks with the players first and announce it all together.
I'd be 100% confident that if you said to the players you wanted them to take a pay cut and in return every one of the non-playing staff/matchday staff earning under 50k will be fully paid they'd do it.

As I understand it, the staff at Premier League clubs being furloughed are having their money top up to 100% by the clubs, so no staff will be out of pocket.

View attachment 75564

View attachment 75565
The Virgin Airline staff will tell you quite vigorously that they chose the actions that Virgin have gone down. They will also tell you the Richard Branson and their other major shareholder (Delta) has put in millions to keep it alive. You will find that a huge number of them have volunteered to help with the NHS.

To my mind the issue is you'd start with the highest wage earners and not ask those at the bottom to do something those at the top won't do, and for some reason (because they're thoughtless idiots, they've started with the bottom). I'd hope if United were to follow suit, we'd have talks with the players first and announce it all together.
I'd be 100% confident that if you said to the players you wanted them to take a pay cut and in return every one of the non-playing staff/matchday staff earning under 50k will be fully paid they'd do it.

One other important point of note, Gordon Taylor seems conspicuous by his absence since the lockdown. Normally he's desperate to be involved, and talking to anyone who'll put a microphone in front of him but he's oddly quiet.
This is essentially what I wanted to say. You can't judge any company overall for seeking support at this time, but you can judge them if the measures they've taken themselves aren't correct - and penalising the lowest paid first, in a company that has an extremely highly paid upper level is simply not correct.
(I'd also add that somebody's worth is not the cash they have in the bank, which some people seem to think. No doubt they are rich, but some of that worth will be based on the sale's value of the companies they own).

So what? You do realise shareholders are also normal people as well, we're not all fat cats living in mansions, also some people rely on those dividends are part of their retirement income. If you read the news, you'll see that many companies are now cancelling their dividends, but Easyjet's dividend was paid before the country went into complete lock down.

How long do you think an airline can survive when it's entire fleet of planes are grounded with wages and other overheads to pay? The government should be applauded for supporting well run companies which are experiencing financial difficulty through no fault of it's own.
Richard Branson has a personal fortune of £2/3BILLION and his own PRIVATE ISLAND. He is asking for government handouts to keep his business afloat. Does that not make you think 'hmm, what the fuck?' in the slightest?

The easyjet board are requesting government aid to pay staff despite the fact they've given out millions in divident payments. The founder Stellios Haji-Iounnu himself has just had a dividend payment of £60mil to add to his £2billion personal fortune. He (thankfully) has a different view to them and thinks it's a disgrace of them to ask for government aid: https://www.cityam.com/easyjet-foun...embers-unless-4-5bn-airbus-payment-cancelled/

The Virgin Airline staff will tell you quite vigorously that they chose the actions that Virgin have gone down. They will also tell you the Richard Branson and their other major shareholder (Delta) has put in millions to keep it alive. You will find that a huge number of them have volunteered to help with the NHS.
They are ridiculous too then, their boss has enough money to keep them afloat for the rest of time.

Them volunteering for the NHS has what relevance here?

The latter has nothing to do with the former though does it?

As I understand it, the staff at Premier League clubs being furloughed are having their money top up to 100% by the clubs, so no staff will be out of pocket.
Which would make perfect sense, the government are offering to pay a section of you staff's wages, so why wouldn't they look to take advantage of that when most of those staff aren't able to undertake their work currently, but they're seemingly screwing the pooch when it comes to communicating it out.
My assumption would be that the players are more difficult to get an agreement with, but I'd expect the Captain and senior pro's to come to an agreement with the club and then get agreement from the rest of the squad for a voluntary reduction or suspension of full pay until things get back to normal and they know where they are with their in comings, namely SKY.
Again, I honestly do not think this would be a problem at our club given the club's current setup and leadership.

Not everybody at Spurs will be using the Government handout:

MARTIN SAMUEL: Slashed salaries for the little people - a £7m bonanza for the executive breaking the bad news... Daniel Levy's timing is appalling
  • Daniel Levy placed 550 staff on furlough as Spurs's financial figures came out
  • Levy received £3m on top of his £4m wages for the completion of their stadium
  • Talk about bad timing as lowest paid staff were told they'd get 20 per cent less
Link

Richard Branson has a personal fortune of £2/3BILLION and his own PRIVATE ISLAND. He is asking for government handouts to keep his business afloat. Does that not make you think 'hmm, what the fuck?' in the slightest?

The easyjet board are requesting government aid to pay staff despite the fact they've given out millions in divident payments. The founder Stellios Haji-Iounnu himself has just had a dividend payment of £60mil to add to his £2billion personal fortune. He (thankfully) has a different view to them and thinks it's a disgrace of them to ask for government aid: https://www.cityam.com/easyjet-foun...embers-unless-4-5bn-airbus-payment-cancelled/

Branson isn't sat on his island with £3 billion in cash, like Hamburg Blade said, a lot of that fortune will be based on the value of the companies he owns a share in. Maybe Branson would take the view that Virgin Atlantic isn't worth risking his personal fortune over? Then what?

Like Stellios has said, they should cancel the £4.5bn order with Airbus, which is fine, but then what happens to the Airbus employees that were going to build those planes? Government hand outs maybe?

Playing devils cunt to a certain extent, but if you as a lower level shareholder had invested in the company years ago, and it had delivered on it's targets last year should you expect a return on your investment via dividends? Taking the government bail out and the owners away from it. Should all companies be cancelling dividends on last year due to what they're anticipating will happen this year?

Just putting the question out there as my company have done just that and it impacts staff as well as external shareholders.

Like Stellios has said, they should cancel the £4.5bn order with Airbus, which is fine, but then what happens to the Airbus employees that were going to build those planes? Government hand outs maybe?
Ideally that's exactly what the government bail out should be covering, although it should be linked to the work being linked with a higher percentage of UK jobs. With it being Airbus I'd guess most of those jobs would be in Europe so that's where it get complected.

Not everybody at Spurs will be using the Government handout:

MARTIN SAMUEL: Slashed salaries for the little people - a £7m bonanza for the executive breaking the bad news... Daniel Levy's timing is appalling
  • Daniel Levy placed 550 staff on furlough as Spurs's financial figures came out
  • Levy received £3m on top of his £4m wages for the completion of their stadium
  • Talk about bad timing as lowest paid staff were told they'd get 20 per cent less
Link
Levy is a cunt. What a surprise.

Branson isn't sat on his island with £3 billion in cash, like Hamburg Blade said, a lot of that fortune will be based on the value of the companies he owns a share in. Maybe Branson would take the view that Virgin Atlantic isn't worth risking his personal fortune over? Then what?

This thing is really bringing out the bootlickers

I hope some agreement will happen between the PFA and the leagues which enables players to take a pay cut. We will all have to pay this money back at some stage and I think it would be more appropriate for the highest paid players to take a slight pay cut for a few months rather than put the economy under more unnecessary pressure whilst they line their pockets. Same goes for any company with a top heavy pay structure or millionaire shareholders. Sadly we all know how self preservation works in these scenarios.

I do chuckle - the people defending Branson are probably the people who love flicking through the Daily Mail and having a whinge about people who fiddle benefits to get an extra £20 a week.

We’ll be paying tax in the coming years to bail out Branson’s business. Does he pay UK tax himself? 🤔

I do chuckle - the people defending Branson are probably the people who love flicking through the Daily Mail and having a whinge about people who fiddle benefits for get an extra £20 a week.

We’ll be paying tax in the coming years to bail out Branson’s business. Does he pay UK tax himself? 🤔
Oh but, but, but most of his £3billion will be tied up!!! 🤣

But, but, but the staff are the ones offering to take 2 months unpaid to keep them going!!! 🤣

But, but, but Sir Rich has already ploughed in MILLIONS to keep the company (his company btw) afloat!!! 🤣

If it was the difference between having a job in three months that you love or no job at all, then I think most people would.
If I had a billionaire gaffer I wouldn't think twice about taking a week unpaid, nevermind 2 months. Very strange. I'm not sure I believe that at all.

If it was the difference between having a job in three months that you love or no job at all, then I think most people would.
Exactly, the choice I know it being put to some of the management at a certain airline. 50% pay cuts has been mentioned at best until they're back up and running.

Oh but, but, but most of his £3billion will be tied up!!! 🤣

But, but, but the staff are the ones offering to take 2 months unpaid to keep them going!!! 🤣

But, but, but Sir Rich has already ploughed in MILLIONS to keep the company (his company btw) afloat!!! 🤣
I gave you a like for your initial post and agree with your point about football clubs, but you've really lost it here. If you don't understand how the world of business and commerce works, you should keep your head down.

Back
Top Bottom