Once a Blade, always a Blade? - Where are they now?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A definitive and probably inaccurate guide to where ex SUFC players are now playing

I love the stuff Roygbiv does and I know he does a view from on both new players we sign and also on players who go out on loan or sometimes even have left us for good. I also admire and follow the work from Ball_Sup and his ‘firm’ in terms of following young squads and players.

Following on from that, I was looking at all the different transfers up and down the land and I was surprised to see where many former Blades actually are now plying their trade.

It got me thinking to see if I could track all the former Blades (why I have no idea) and so I started a list…..please add to this list as sure I have forgot some obvious ones

I have not counted players previously on loan with SUFC as that would double the list below but have noted some at the end of each division. I have counted players we currently have that have gone out on loan.

(*information is correct as of August 1st, 2019)

Premier League

Bournemouth – David Brooks, Simon Francis, Aaron Ramsdale
Burnley – Matthew Lowton
Everton – Dominic Calvert Lewin
Leicester – Harry Maguire
Manchester City – Kyle Walker
Southampton – Che Adams

Notes –
Gary Cahill is a free agent looking for a club. Phil Bardsley competes with Lowton for the Burnley right back slot. Cameron Carter Vickers remains at Spurs despite three loans at Championship level – he still has another two years left on his contract.

Championship

Charlton Athletic – Lyle Taylor
Fulham – Kevin McDonald
Hull City – George Long
Luton Town – Martin Cranie
Millwall – Ryan Leonard
Swansea – Kyle Naughton
Wigan – Lee Evans

Notes –
Gary Madine has of course gone back to Cardiff and is under contract till 2021. Nathaniel Mendez Laing remains with the Bluebirds. Harry Chapman signed permanently for Blackburn last year but still has been troubled with injuries. Kieran Dowell has moved to Derby on loan for the season. Nathan Dyer has re-signed for Swansea City. Paul Gallagher is still doing the business at Preston.

League One

Accrington – Seamus Conneely
Blackpool – Mark Howard
Bolton – Connor Hall
Bristol Rovers – Tyler Smith (on loan from SUFC)
Burton – John Brayford, Stephen Quinn, Kieran Wallace
Coventry – Kyle McFadzean
Doncaster – Ben Whiteman, Jamie Ward
Fleetwood – Paul Coutts, James Wallace
Ipswich – James Wilson
Rochdale – Matt Done, Rhys Norrington Davies (on loan from SUFC)
Sunderland – Marc McNulty (on loan from Reading)
Tranmere – Harvey Gilmour

Notes –
James Wallace was released by Fleetwood at the end of the season. Former Blades loanee Ethan Ebanks Landell has signed permanently at Shrewsbury. Ben Woodburn is now on loan at Oxford United. John-Joe O’Toole joins many former ex Blades at Burton. Former United loanee Alex Baptiste looks set to sign for Doncaster Rovers. Joe Mattock is at Rotheham. Jay O’Shea left amidst the turmoil at Bury and is playing for Robbi Fowler’s team Brisbane Roar in Australia.

League Two

Bradford – Clayton Donaldson
Carlisle – Stefan Scougall, Nathan Thomas (on loan from SUFC)
Cheltenham – Chris Hussey
Crewe - Chris Porter
Exeter – Jonathan Forte, Nicky Law
Grimsby – James Hanson, Elliott Whitehouse
Macclesfield – Joe Ironside
Mansfield – CJ Hamilton, Otis Khan, Jacob Mellis
Morecambe – Shaun Miller (on loan from Crewe)
Plymouth – Jose Baxter, Callum McFadzean
Scunthorpe – Andy Butler, Jo Cummings, Harrison McGahey, Jordan Hallam, Regan Slater (on loan from SUFC)

Notes – Samir Carruthers was recently on trial at Cambridge – it seems if he can find a club, United will allow him to move on despite having another year left on his deal. Joe Riley who was on loan with us briefly in League One is now at Bradford City. Dominic Poleon is at Crawley. Chris O’Grady is back at Oldham Athletic. Lee Martin is now at Exeter; he played for SUFC on loan under Bryan Robson. Jamal Campbelll Ryce was released by Stevenage.

Scotland

Premiership

Hearts – Connor Washington
Rangers - Jamie Murphy
St Mirren – Ryan Flynn and Stephen McGinn

Notes – Former loan flop James Wilson is at Aberdeen, Steven Davies the striker we had on loan is at Hamilton. Michael O’Halloran is at St Johnstone. Aidy White has signed for Hearts recently after a few years out of the game due to injury.

Scottish Championship

Queen of the South - Callum Semple

Notes - Andrew Davies the blonde centre back we had on loan from Boro is now at Dundee. Sean McGinty is at Patrick, Connor Sammon is at Falkirk in the Scottish League One.

Non league round up

National League:

Barrow – Oliver Greaves (on loan from SUFC)
Chesterfield – Sam Wedgbury
Fylde – Danny Philliskirk, Mark Yeates
Notts County – Michael Doyle, Kyel Reid
Stockport – Connor Dimaio
Yeovil – Craig Alcock
Harrogate – Lloyd Kerry, Jon Stead

National League North:

Boston United – George Willis, Jake Wright (on loan from York)
Chorley – Stephen Jordan
Guiseley – Kevan Hurst

Other Non League:

Basford United – Dominic Roma
Buxton – Diego DeGirolamo
Gainsborough – Kingsley James
Matlock – Nicky Travis
Sheffield FC – Adam Chapman

Notes : Curtis Woodhouse is manager at Tadcaster; Bob Harris was at FC United of Manchester last season.

It's a fine piece of work this Deadbat - but to me it only disproves the theory "Once a Blade, always a Blade". (I think you're right to pose this as a question).

Very few of those have any connection or affinity to our club nowadays. I don't think we're any different to any other club in that regard. Some of our fans might want to believe that there's something special about us which forms a permanent bond amongst ex-players, but in reality, this only applies to a few ex-players. The majority of ex-players couldn't give a toss about our club - and why should they anyhow? They played for us, they got paid by us, they move on. That's life.

It's interesting to see where they are now though - and the striking thing for me is that there are very few who are actually plying their trade at the top level of football. I think that speaks volumes for where we have come from as a club over the past 8 or 9 years or so. Those "fans favourites" who were immortalised by some a few years ago have found their true level, in the lower divisions or non-league. It only emphasises, to me, the need to be constantly looking to improve on what we currently have, because in a few years time, some of our existing squad will also be battling it out in the lower leagues and non-leagues as well. If we want to stay at the top level we have to ruthlessly review and refresh the squad. There's no room for sentiment unfortunately. "Once a Blade - soon to become an ex-Blade because the club is going places and you can't all come with us - but it'd be nice if we kept in touch". ;)

A definitive and probably inaccurate guide to where ex SUFC players are now playing

I love the stuff Roygbiv does and I know he does a view from on both new players we sign and also on players who go out on loan or sometimes even have left us for good. I also admire and follow the work from Ball_Sup and his ‘firm’ in terms of following young squads and players.

Following on from that, I was looking at all the different transfers up and down the land and I was surprised to see where many former Blades actually are now plying their trade.

It got me thinking to see if I could track all the former Blades (why I have no idea) and so I started a list…..please add to this list as sure I have forgot some obvious ones

I have not counted players previously on loan with SUFC as that would double the list below but have noted some at the end of each division. I have counted players we currently have that have gone out on loan.

Premier League

Burnley – Matthew Lowton
Southampton – Che Adams

Notes –
Gary Cahill is a free agent looking for a club. Phil Bardsley competes with Lowton for the Burnley right back slot. Cameron Carter Vickers remains at Spurs despite three loans at Championship level – he still has another two years left on his contract.

Championship

Fulham – Kevin McDonald
Hull City – George Long
Millwall – Ryan Leonard
Swansea – Kyle Naughton
Wigan – Lee Evans

Notes –
Gary Madine has of course gone back to Cardiff and is under contract till 2021. Nathaniel Mendez Laing remains with the Bluebirds. Harry Chapman signed permanently for Blackburn last year but still has been troubled with injuries. Kieran Dowell has moved to Derby on loan for the season. Nathan Dyer has re-signed for Swansea City. Paul Gallagher is still doing the business at Preston.

League One

Blackpool – Mark Howard
Bolton – Connor Hall
Ipswich – James Wilson

Notes –
James Wallace was released by Fleetwood at the end of the season. Former Blades loanee Ethan Ebanks Landell has signed permanently at Shrewsbury. Ben Woodburn is now on loan at Oxford United. John-Joe O’Toole joins many former ex Blades at Burton. Former United loanee Alex Baptiste looks set to sign for Doncaster Rovers. Joe Mattock is at Rotheham. Jay O’Shea left amidst the turmoil at Bury and is playing for Robbi Fowler’s team Brisbane Roar in Australia.

League Two

Crewe - Chris Porter
Scunthorpe – Andy Butler, Jo Cummings, Harrison McGahey, Jordan Hallam, Regan Slater (on loan from SUFC)

Notes – Samir Carruthers was recently on trial at Cambridge – it seems if he can find a club, United will allow him to move on despite having another year left on his deal. Joe Riley who was on loan with us briefly in League One is now at Bradford City. Dominic Poleon is at Crawley. Chris O’Grady is back at Oldham Athletic. Lee Martin is now at Exeter; he played for SUFC on loan under Bryan Robson. Jamal Campbelll Ryce was released by Stevenage.

Scotland

Premiership

Rangers - Jamie Murphy

Notes – Former loan flop James Wilson is at Aberdeen, Steven Davies the striker we had on loan is at Hamilton. Michael O’Halloran is at St Johnstone. Aidy White has signed for Hearts recently after a few years out of the game due to injury.

Scottish Championship

Notes - Andrew Davies the blonde centre back we had on loan from Boro is now at Dundee. Sean McGinty is at Patrick, Connor Sammon is at Falkirk in the Scottish League One.

Non league round up

National League:

Yeovil – Craig Alcock

National League North:

Chorley – Stephen Jordan
Guiseley – Kevan Hurst

Other Non League:

Matlock – Nicky Travis

Notes : Curtis Woodhouse is manager at Tadcaster; Bob Harris was at FC United of Manchester last season.
You forgot Ched Evans

Premier League

Burnley – Matthew Lowton
Southampton – Che Adams

Notes –

Championship

Fulham – Kevin McDonald
Hull City – George Long
Millwall – Ryan Leonard
Swansea – Kyle Naughton
Wigan – Lee Evans

Notes –

League One

Blackpool – Mark Howard
Bolton – Connor Hall
Ipswich – James Wilson

Notes –

League Two

Crewe - Chris Porter

Scotland

Premiership

Rangers - Jamie Murphy

Scottish Championship

Non league round up

National League:

Yeovil – Craig Alcock

National League North:

Chorley – Stephen Jordan
Guiseley – Kevan Hurst

Other Non League:

Matlock – Nicky Travis

Noticed Jordan Slew got a mention on Sky Transfer prog as moving from Ashton to Morecambe. Clearly on his way back.

It's a fine piece of work this Deadbat - but to me it only disproves the theory "Once a Blade, always a Blade". (I think you're right to pose this as a question).

Very few of those have any connection or affinity to our club nowadays. I don't think we're any different to any other club in that regard. Some of our fans might want to believe that there's something special about us which forms a permanent bond amongst ex-players, but in reality, this only applies to a few ex-players. The majority of ex-players couldn't give a toss about our club - and why should they anyhow? They played for us, they got paid by us, they move on. That's life.

It's interesting to see where they are now though - and the striking thing for me is that there are very few who are actually plying their trade at the top level of football. I think that speaks volumes for where we have come from as a club over the past 8 or 9 years or so. Those "fans favourites" who were immortalised by some a few years ago have found their true level, in the lower divisions or non-league. It only emphasises, to me, the need to be constantly looking to improve on what we currently have, because in a few years time, some of our existing squad will also be battling it out in the lower leagues and non-leagues as well. If we want to stay at the top level we have to ruthlessly review and refresh the squad. There's no room for sentiment unfortunately. "Once a Blade - soon to become an ex-Blade because the club is going places and you can't all come with us - but it'd be nice if we kept in touch". ;)

I think it is more indicative of the rot and decay which had set into the club for so long. Shit managers, underinvestment, board incompetence.

A future book will label this chapter, 'The McCabe Years'.

pommpey

Two massive Blades, Mum and Dad, up City Road. Bless them both❤❤

I think Caolan Lavery was missed out of the OP.

Played an important part in our L1 title triumph, now plays for Walsall in L2.

Always interesting to read not only how many bad players we've had in fairly times, but sadly how many very good prospects fall by the wayside due to injury or attitude.

Loved the fact that Yeates came on today and they got a corner and sent everyone up including the keeper....he hits the first man and the final whistle goes. He puts his hand up to apologise!

No appearance for penalty expert Andy Taylor. My Uncle joked that they were saving him for this eventuality in the replay!

Loved the fact that Yeates came on today and they got a corner and sent everyone up including the keeper....he hits the first man and the final whistle goes. He puts his hand up to apologise!

No appearance for penalty expert Andy Taylor. My Uncle joked that they were saving him for this eventuality in the replay!
Andy Taylor. Fuck me, said some nice things about us but what a measure of how far we’ve come on, and how utterly wank we were.

In the Ryan France mould of nothingness. Shudder.

Whatever happened to Terry Kennedy? He looked a very promising CB and had injuries that he just couldn't shake.

On the note of promising looking CB's - Semple?

Whatever happened to Terry Kennedy? He looked a very promising CB and had injuries that he just couldn't shake.

See earlier thread for news on both- Kennedy out of the game even at non league. Semple at Queen of the South.

Does anyone know what happened with Callum Semple? He seemed highly rated here, then surprisingly went on a permanent move to Scotland where he got good reviews from the fans that seemed to take to him. Then got in trouble for something to do with betting, now seems to be out of a club. A bit of googling and it looks like he's back in Sheffield playing cricket

Does anyone know what happened with Callum Semple? He seemed highly rated here, then surprisingly went on a permanent move to Scotland where he got good reviews from the fans that seemed to take to him. Then got in trouble for something to do with betting, now seems to be out of a club. A bit of googling and it looks like he's back in Sheffield playing cricket
He had a serious knee injury at 17 (horror tackle in a youth game at Leeds). Don't think he was the same player when he came back.

* Updated as requested

Taking advantage of an international break, I thought I’d have a look at where some of our former players are now plying their trade. I've even listed some who are involved in coaching/other football club roles.

There are a number who are unattached currently....like Otis Khan who left Tranmere in the summer and Nick Blackman who left Maccabi Tel Aviv and our own Jack Rodwell/Kean Bryan for instance. Billy Clarke retired this summer too. Some of our former Blades like Dellas, Borbokis and Katchouro were involved in coaching roles but are not at the time I write this. Some crackers in there like Ahmed Fathi who plays for a team in Egypt called...wait for it...Pyramids.

I actually have only gone back around 20 years so any former Blades players going back longer that are involved in the coaching/management side I may have missed.

I've also probably missed some obvious ones and more excitedly those rare ones still playing/involved in the game so please add to the thread...

Premier League

Arsenal - Aaron Ramsdale
Burnley - Matt Lowton, Phil Bardsley, Billy Mercer (Gk Coach)
Chelsea - Jon Harley (Development Squad Assistant Coach)
Crystal Palace - Paddy McCarthy (U18 Coach), Shaun Derry (Professional Development Coach)
Everton - Dominic Calvert Lewin, David Unsworth (U23s Manager), Jamie Hoyland (Lead First Team Scout)
Man City - Kyle Walker, Richard Wright (GK Coach), John Gannon (European Regional Scouting Manager)
Man Utd - Dean Henderson, Harry Maguire, Mark Dempsey (Head of Development)
Newcastle - Steve Bruce (Manager)
Southampton - Che Adams
Wolves - Connor Coady

Championship

Birmingham - Scott Hogan
Blackburn - Harry Chapman
Bournemouth - David Brooks, Gary Cahill, Simon Francis (Assistant First Team Technical Director)
Blackpool - CJ Hamilton, Gary Madine
Cardiff - Carl Serrant (Fitness Coach)
Coventry - Kyle McFadzean, Simon Moore
Derby County - Phil Jagielka, Ravel Morrison, Colin Kazim Richards, Richard Stearman
Huddersfield - Leigh Bromby (Head of Football Operations)
Hull - Tyler Smith
Luton - Martin Cranie
Middlesbrough - Neil Warnock (Manager), Kevin Blackwell (Assistant Manager) Ian Bennett (GK Coach), Chris Short (Sports Science Team)
Millwall- Ryan Leonard, George Long
Nottingham Forest - Andy Reid (U23 Coach)
QPR - Paul Hall (U23 Coach), Paul Furlong (Academy Coach)
Peterborough - Andy Butler (Coach)
Preston North End - Ched Evans, Ben Whiteman, Paul Gallagher (First Team Coach)
Sheffield United - Nicky Travis (First Team Technical Coach), Matt Duke (GK Coach) Derek Geary (Academy Lead Coach), Jack Lester (Head of Academy), Danny Cadamateri (Striker Coach, Academy)
Stoke - Danny Batth
Swansea - Kyle Naughton, Andy Scott (Head of Recruitment)
West Brom - Kyle Bartley, Matty Phillips, Callum Robinson

League One

Accrington - Seamus Conneely
AFC Wimbledon - Ben Heneghan
Burton - John Brayford, John Joe O' Toole, Kieran Wallace
Cambridge - Joe Ironside
Charlton - Nigel Adkins (Manager), Conor Washington
Crewe - Callum McFadzean, Chris Porter
Doncaster - Paul Gerrard (GK Coach)
Fleetwood - James Wallace (Chief Scout)
Ipswich - Lee Evans, Andy Liddell (Fitness Coach)
Oxford United - Craig Short (First Team Coach)
Portsmouth - Kieron Freeman
Rotherham - Joe Mattock
Sheffield Wednesday - Marvin Johnson
Shrewsbury - Ethan Ebanks Landell
Wigan - James Beattie (Assistant Manager)
Wycombe - Sam Vokes

League Two

Barrow - Connor Brown
Bolton - Alex Baptiste
Bradford City - Caloan Lavery
Bristol Rovers - Leon Clarke, Paul Coutts
Cambridge - Joe Ironside, Mark Bunn(Gk Coach)
Carlisle - Joe Riley, David Holdsworth (Director of Football)
Cheltenham - Chris Hussey
Colchester - Jamal Campbell Ryce (U23 Coach)
Forest Green - Elliott Whitehouse, Jake Young
Harrogate – Lloyd Kerry, Paul Thirlwell (Assistant Manager)
Mansfield - Nigel Clough (Manager), Stephen Quinn, Mike Whitlow (U18 Coach)
Oldham - Keith Curle (Manager), Harrison McGahey
Plymouth - James Wilson (Defender)
Port Vale - James Wilson (Striker), Billy Paynter (Academy Coach)
Rochdale - Matt Done, Sam Graham, Aidy White
Salford - Stephen Jordan (Physio)
Scunthorpe - Harry Bunn, Jordan Hallam, Tony McMahon (First Team Coach), Tony Daws (U18 Coach)
Swindon - Louis Reed, Scott Marshall (Assistant Manager)
Tranmere - Mark Duffy, Andy Parkinson (First Team Coach), Ian Turner (GK Coach)

National League

National League

Grimsby - Ben Davies (First team Coach)
Halifax - Jordan Slew, Harvey Gilmour
Notts County - Michael Doyle (Player Coach)

National League North

AFC Fylde Andy Taylor (Assistant Coach), Danny Philliskirk
Alfreton - George Willis
Boston United - Jake Wright Sr and Jake Wright Jr, Connor Dimaio, Keegan Ferguson
Chorley - Connor Hall
Farsley Celtic - James Hanson
Guiseley - George Cattrall, Ashton Hall
York City - Clayton Donaldson

National League South

Hemel Hempstead Town - Sandra Carruthers
Ebbsfleet - Dominic Poleon

Other Non League

Southern Premier League South

Farnborough - Ricky Holmes
Kings Langley - Will Hoskins

Southern Premier League Central

Coalville - Jake Bennett

Southern League Division One Central

Bedford Town - Matty Harriott

Isthmian League South Central

Harlow Town - Craig Alcock

Northern Premier League Premier

Bamber Bridge - Mark Yeates
Buxton - Diego DeGirolamo, Matthew Kilgallon, Jamie Ward
Hyde - Kingsley James
Gainsborough Trinity - Adam Chapman

Matlock Town – Oliver Greaves
Nantwich - Shaun Miller
Radcliffe - Jo Cummings

Tadcaster Albion – Harry Sheppeard

Northern League Division One

Bishop Auckland - Evan Horwood

Northern Premier League East

Frickley - Martyn Woolford

Northern Premier League Central

Corby Town - Gary Mulligan

Northern Counties East

Grimsby Borough – Reece York

Eastern Counties League Premier Division

Wroxham - Simon Lappin

United Counties League Division One

Radford FC - Lee Williamson

Scotland

Scottish Premiership

Aberdeen - Barry Robson (First team Coach)
Celtic - Cameron Carter Vickers (on loan from Spurs)
Dundee United - Marc McNulty (on loan from Reading)
Glasgow Rangers - John Lundstram
Hearts - Ben Woodburn (on loan from Liverpool)
Hibernian - Jamie Murphy
Livingston - Jason Holt
Motherwell - Chris Lucketti (Assistant Manager)
St Johnstone - Michael O' Halloran

Scottish Champ and below

Alloa Athletic - Connor Sammon, Stefan Scougall
Ayr United - Sean McGinty
Kilmarnock - Stephen McGinn
St Mirren - Ryan Flynn
Muirkirk Juniors - Christian Nade

Ireland

Ballymena United - David Parkhouse

Bohemians – Stephen Mallon
Bray Wanderers - Aaron Barry
Cliftonville - Jamie McDonagh
Derry City - Danny Lafferty
Larne - Graham Kelly
Shamrock Rovers - David McAllister (U17s Assistant Coach)
Waterford - Greg Halford

Wales

Airbus UK - Jake Eyre
Ammanford - Leon Britton
Prestatyn Town - Jay McEveley (Head of Academy)
Wales - Rob Page (Manager)

International

Australia

Adelaide United – Carl Veart (Manager)

Brisbane Roar - Jay O'Shea
Central Coast Mariners - Nick Montgomery (Manager)
Western Sydney Wanderers - Carl Robinson (Coach)

Belgium

Royal Antwerp - Ritchie De Laet

Canada

Forge FC - David Edgar (Assistant Coach)

Denmark

SønderjyskE - Lawrence Thomas

Egypt

Pyramids - Ahmed Fathi

Estonia

Paide Linnameeskond - Mikhel Aksalu

France

Bastia - Lillian Nalis (Technical Director)
Parisis ( French Non League) Jean Calve

Germany

Bayer Leverkusen - Panagiotis Retsos

Italy

Venezia - Ethan Ampadu (on loan from Chelsea)
Borrgo San Donnino (Serie D) - Arturo Lupoli

Holland

Asser Christelijke Voetbalvereniging (Dutch Non League) - Marceil Seip

Malaysia

Johor Darul Ta'zim - Shane Lowry

Malta

Gżira United - Justin Haber
Xewkija Tigers - Daniel Bogdanovic

North America

Hartford Athletic - Jon Stead (Assistant Coach)
Indy Eleven - Nicky Law
Minnesota United - Adrian Heath (Manager)
New York City (MLS) - Maxime Chanot
Orlando City - Paul Shaw (Youth Technical Director)
South Carolina Bantams United - Lee Morris (Manager)
Tampa Bay - Neil Collins (Head Coach)

Portugal

Moura – Bruno Ribeiro (Manager)

Norway

Stromsgodset - Jostein Flo (Director of Football)
Viking - Kristoffer Lokberg
Ranheim - Erik Tonne

Serbia

Red Star Belgrade - Richard Zivkovic

Spain

CD Benicarlo (Spanish Non League) - Ellian Parino

Women

Man City - Gareth Taylor (Manager)
England Youth GK Coach - Jamie Annerson

My other team played Harlow last weekend, just checked back on the team sheet, and there he was - number 4, Craig Alcock. Would never have remembered him to be honest, and he didn’t stand out at all as we beat them 1~0.
27 games for the mighty Blades and now he’s just another Step 4 player. How the world turns. Izale McLeod was playing at this level last season, for Kempston Rovers, but he might have hung them up now.

My other team played Harlow last weekend, just checked back on the team sheet, and there he was - number 4, Craig Alcock. Would never have remembered him to be honest, and he didn’t stand out at all as we beat them 1~0.
27 games for the mighty Blades and now he’s just another Step 4 player. How the world turns. Izale McLeod was playing at this level last season, for Kempston Rovers, but he might have hung them up now.

Apparently retired now

Back
Top Bottom