Not naming a full bench

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
I've posted my colours to the mast. I'm a Wilder fan and long term I think he has done an excellent job for us and if he can shake this season off, can still do a good job going forwards.

We all hear the comments like "not going to mug the punters off", "won't tip the Chairman upside down" and "won't risk the future of the club" as just three examples of colours Chris has liked to nail to his flagpost.

But there are a few things as a fan, with the club at heart, I simply don't appreciate.

Not naming a full bench is one of them.

Chris would like 2 new players to add to the group. We get it. I don't like the narky way of going about making the point.

You've given your list to the higher ups to secure. It's not their fault that the foreign centre back you wanted is now back in favour, has signed a new deal and is no longer available. It's also not their fault that Jessie Lindgard doesn't want to associate himself with being a member of what we hope to avoid - being the worst team in PL history and would prefer to stay at OT or be loaned to Nice.

I'm also not convinced it is worth spending a throwaway 5m on fees and wages just to prevent the bruising of a few egos, the managers included. We know that in the summer that 5m would go a lot further when rejuvenating a Championship team. I'd suggest changing target to players for next season may gain more traction if we want new faces now. We used to be quite good at picking up the odd player in the final 6 months of their deals. There are probably more than most with covid going on.

But back to the original point. There are going lads in the U23s who would benefit being a part of the senior squad on matchday as part of their education and development. Odds are they don't get on, but given we replaced Norwood, who had a shocker, with a left centre half, it can't have hurt to have given a full debut to a Zac Brunt, an actual midfielder.

You can't be taking plaudits for Hackford getting on against Palace and then denying the same experience to others in the set up. Whatever Hackford gained, so would Brunt or Gordon or whoever.

So let's not be churlish. It's a difficult season. Fill the bench, with young lads if needs be. We don't know when we will next be in the top flight but don't deny these guys the chance to experience being in a matchday squad with International players that might just spur them on that little bit more.

I believe it’s all to do with the COVID ‘bubble’ and the risks and protocols involved. If they have no chance of getting on the pitch it’s just not worth it. We still had every position covered yesterday.
So we can't afford a couple of hundred quid on covid tests for U23 players then? We didn't have any midfielders on the bench yesterday and you have got to question the selection of Foderingham and Jagielka who are very doubtful at being able to perform adequately at this level. Finding and blooding an U23 gem in their positions would help the club more than just keeping 2 old stagers on the bench and would encourage the young players that there is a pathway.

I've posted my colours to the mast. I'm a Wilder fan and long term I think he has done an excellent job for us and if he can shake this season off, can still do a good job going forwards.

We all hear the comments like "not going to mug the punters off", "won't tip the Chairman upside down" and "won't risk the future of the club" as just three examples of colours Chris has liked to nail to his flagpost.

But there are a few things as a fan, with the club at heart, I simply don't appreciate.

Not naming a full bench is one of them.

Chris would like 2 new players to add to the group. We get it. I don't like the narky way of going about making the point.

You've given your list to the higher ups to secure. It's not their fault that the foreign centre back you wanted is now back in favour, has signed a new deal and is no longer available. It's also not their fault that Jessie Lindgard doesn't want to associate himself with being a member of what we hope to avoid - being the worst team in PL history and would prefer to stay at OT or be loaned to Nice.

I'm also not convinced it is worth spending a throwaway 5m on fees and wages just to prevent the bruising of a few egos, the managers included. We know that in the summer that 5m would go a lot further when rejuvenating a Championship team. I'd suggest changing target to players for next season may gain more traction if we want new faces now. We used to be quite good at picking up the odd player in the final 6 months of their deals. There are probably more than most with covid going on.

But back to the original point. There are going lads in the U23s who would benefit being a part of the senior squad on matchday as part of their education and development. Odds are they don't get on, but given we replaced Norwood, who had a shocker, with a left centre half, it can't have hurt to have given a full debut to a Zac Brunt, an actual midfielder.

You can't be taking plaudits for Hackford getting on against Palace and then denying the same experience to others in the set up. Whatever Hackford gained, so would Brunt or Gordon or whoever.

So let's not be churlish. It's a difficult season. Fill the bench, with young lads if needs be. We don't know when we will next be in the top flight but don't deny these guys the chance to experience being in a matchday squad with International players that might just spur them on that little bit more.
Agree completely.

BTW who's the foreign centre back you're referring to?

You are limited to what you are allowed with Covid ,youngsters have to train seperate ,theres red tape everywhere.

I completely see your point, but I do see a couple of reasons why he wouldn't want to fill the slots with U23.

- Will it effect the U23 players coming into a losing environment? Is that healthy to see every week?

- Does it effect the mindset of the senior pros - the first team looking around the changing room before kick off and seeing 3 or 4 school kids? Does that effect the psychology of their own pre-match routine - doesn't fill them with much confidence? Our strength has been the close knit group, so seeing a few kids in the changing room might start to look like it's falling apart a bit?

Saying that... we've got 5 points... how much worse can it get? Play the kids. I dunno.

- Does it effect the mindset of the senior pros - the first team looking around the changing room before kick off and seeing 3 or 4 school kids? Does that effect the psychology of their own pre-match routine - doesn't fill them with much confidence? Our strength has been the close knit group, so seeing a few kids in the changing room might start to look like it's falling apart a bit?
I don't see how it can affect the players more profoundly than seeing the opposition with 9 players on the bench and us with 7 players. That screams 'white flag' to me.

But we've named both Hackford and Gordon on the bench this season so it can't be that much of an issue.
From what I was told ,once they have moved from one bubble to another there has to be a period of time before they can go back ,its all a load of bollocks ,but this is the reasoning, the kids are bloody babysat by legislation.

From what I was told ,once they have moved from one bubble to another there has to be a period of time before they can go back ,its all a load of bollocks ,but this is the reasoning, the kids are bloody babysat by legislation.
During a period where we've got a number of injuries then I'd just move them into the grown up bubble for a few weeks.

You are limited to what you are allowed with Covid ,youngsters have to train seperate ,theres red tape everywhere.
I hope you are not alluding to brexit there!
The only thing that could be worse for us atm is if boris was in charge if us.
He couldn’t manage his way out of the premiership.
Hey, I hear you say, but at least we would have our sovereignty!
Quite right. Wether in the Premier League or Championship we would still have that - something to be proud of.
Even when we get a DoF, will we be able to squander our riches on European or other foreign players? Maybe even more of the red tape there which, unless a club is humungously rich, will tie them up in knots.
Doesn’t bear thinking about.
Get a billionaire in!

Brunt was seen training with the first team a day or two before the Spurs match.

Back
Top Bottom