Memries of Ipswich

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
We haven’t played the ‘Tractor Boys’ since the 2010/11 season (our last season in the Championship before six long years in Division One). The last meeting was on Feb. 5, 2011 at Portman Road where we lost 0-3. The home fixture that season was on November 6, 2010 when we lost 1-2.

To be fair, memorable games between us and Ipswich have been few and far between. Ipswich FC mirror their manager (Mick McCarthy) – dour, unadventurous and worthy of little comment. The highest aggregate score between the two teams came on Saturday 25th January, 2003 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Bramall Lane and The Blades won 4-3 (after leading 2-0 at half time). Our goals were scored by Michael Brown (2), Jagielka and Peschisolido. This was the ‘Triple Assault’ season and this run in the FA Cup would finally end at Old Trafford in the semi-final versus Arsenal. Despite the excitement of this season (and to prove how remarkable our crowds are now) the crowd for this Ipswich game was just 12,757.

The most goals Ipswich have ever scored against The Blades in a game came in the 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane in the 2009-10 season. Scorers for United that day were Henderson (2) and Chris Morgan. On the last day of that season, The Blades won 3-0 at Portman Road (Yeates, Ched Evans and Cresswell).

In the 1971-72 season, we were in the top flight and John Harris was still in charge. On November 27th at Bramall Lane, United won 7-0 in a remarkable game. 4-0 up at half-time, our scorers that day were Woodward 4 (1 pen.), Reece, Badger and Dearden. Promoted the previous season, our crowds were holding up well and the crowd for this game was 26,233.

Something of note that season (although probably only to myself) was the return fixture at Portman Road on April 15, 1972. My dad had just bought a brand-new Ford Capri and, back then, new cars had to be ‘run in’. I suggested a trip to Ipswich might be a good idea, so me, ma and pa set off on what was, back then, a grueller. The roads in East Anglia were mostly single carriageway, full of caravans and tractors and it took about 7 hours one-way. The game was shit – a 0-0 draw – and about the only thing I remember was seeing 5 coachloads of Blades heading off to Great Yarmouth after the game. My mum expressed surprise that so many girls were on the coaches…

Another big game against Ipswich came in the 1996-97 season when we met each other in the Division One (now Championship) semi-final play-offs to try to get back in the top tier. The first game at Bramall Lane was a 1-1 draw (Fjortoft) and we drew the return leg at Ipswich 2-2 (Katchouro, Walker) so we went through to the play-off final at Wembley to play Crystal Palace where – if you don’t know the outcome – you haven’t been watching United long enough!

The only other thing of note that I remember about Ipswich is a dirty fucker of a player they had called Mauricio Taricco. This Argie played for Ipswich between 1994 and 1999 before he went on to pollute Spurs for 5 years. In his time with Ipswich, we played them at home 4 times – all in the second tier. In one of these home games, the dirty twat did an unforgivable foul on one of our players. After the match (which some of you might help me with), me and my mates were in the south stand social club. The Ipswich team coach came round to the players entrance and a few Blades stormed out of the social club and got on the team bus where – I hope – they hammered the little cunt. Hopefully somebody can add some details?

So that’s about it. The manager Mick McCarthy has been in place since November 2012. We’ve met Ipswich in the League a total of 60 times so far:

Home: P:30 W:13 D:9 L: 8 F:51 A:34

Away: P:30 W:4 D:12 L:14 F:25 A:47

Can’t wait to do ‘Memries of Reading’…

Last edited:

Kevin Beatties pub. Drawing 2-2 on my wedding day. Meeting Arnold Muhren at a Simple Minds concert.

Taricco was another Ainsworth, albeit his crime was far less heinous. Got absolute pellets every time he came back and deservedly so.

We haven’t played the ‘Tractor Boys’ since the 2010/11 season (our last season in the Championship before six long years in Division One). The last meeting was on Feb. 5, 2011 at Portman Road where we lost 0-3. The home fixture that season was on November 6, 2010 when we lost 1-2.

To be fair, memorable games between us and Ipswich have been few and far between. Ipswich FC mirror their manager (Mick McCarthy) – dour, unadventurous and worthy of little comment. The highest aggregate score between the two teams came on Saturday 25th January, 2003 in the fourth round of the FA Cup at Bramall Lane and The Blades won 4-3 (after leading 2-0 at half time). Our goals were scored by Michael Brown (2), Jagielka and Peschisolido. This was the ‘Triple Assault’ season and this run in the FA Cup would finally end at Old Trafford in the semi-final versus Arsenal. Despite the excitement of this season (and to prove how remarkable our crowds are now) the crowd for this Ipswich game was just 12,757.

The most goals Ipswich have ever scored against The Blades in a game came in the 3-3 draw at Bramall Lane in the 2009-10 season. Scorers for United that day were Henderson (2) and Chris Morgan. On the last day of that season, The Blades won 3-0 at Portman Road (Yeates, Ched Evans and Cresswell).

In the 1971-72 season, we were in the top flight and John Harris was still in charge. On November 27th at Bramall Lane, United won 7-0 in a remarkable game. 4-0 up at half-time, our scorers that day were Woodward 4 (1 pen.), Reece, Badger and Dearden. Promoted the previous season, our crowds were holding up well and the crowd for this game was 26,233.

Something of note that season (although probably only to myself) was the return fixture at Portman Road on April 15, 1972. My dad had just bought a brand-new Ford Capri and, back then, new cars had to be ‘run in’. I suggested a trip to Ipswich might be a good idea, so me, ma and pa set off on what was, back then, a grueller. The roads in East Anglia were mostly single carriageway, full of caravans and tractors and it took about 7 hours one-way. The game was shit – a 0-0 draw – and about the only thing I remember was seeing 5 coachloads of Blades heading off to Great Yarmouth after the game. My mum expressed surprise that so many girls were on the coaches…

Another big game against Ipswich came in the 1996-97 season when we met each other in the Division One (now Championship) semi-final play-offs to try to get back in the top tier. The first game at Bramall Lane was a 1-1 draw (Fjortoft) and we drew the return leg at Ipswich 2-2 (Katchouro, Walker) so we went through to the play-off final at Wembley to play Crystal Palace where – if you don’t know the outcome – you haven’t been watching United long enough!

The only other thing of note that I remember about Ipswich is a dirty fucker of a player they had called Mauricio Taricco. This Argie played for Ipswich between 1994 and 1999 before he went on to pollute Spurs for 5 years. In his time with Ipswich, we played them at home 4 times – all in the second tier. In one of these home games, the dirty twat did an unforgivable foul on one of our players. After the match (which some of you might help me with), me and my mates were in the south stand social club. The Ipswich team coach came round to the players entrance and a few Blades stormed out of the social club and got on the team bus where – I hope – they hammered the little cunt. Hopefully somebody can add some details?

So that’s about it. The manager Mick McCarthy has been in place since November 2012. We’ve met Ipswich in the League a total of 60 times so far:

Home: P:30 W:13 D:9 L: 8 F:51 A:34

Away: P:30 W:4 D:12 L:14 F:25 A:47

Can’t wait to do ‘Memries of Reading’…

I’m pretty sure Tarrico single-handedly connived to get Whitehouse sent off in one home game around the 96-98 period (1-3 home loss I think) and on separate occasions I think he may have been involved where other United players got reds. Possibly the Nick Henry one in the playoffs? Can’t remember. Anyway, he’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Ipswich.

quite simply putting 7 past them in the 70's with Woody getting 4.

It was televised by ITV and seeing as colour TV was in it's infancy - the first half was televised in Colour, but with the light fading and floodlights being of poor quality, the 2nd half was televised in B&W.

We got a stuffing next game away v Palace on the BBC from memory when they put 6 past us.

UTB

I’m pretty sure Tarrico single-handedly connived to get Whitehouse sent off in one home game around the 96-98 period (1-3 home loss I think) and on separate occasions I think he may have been involved where other United players got reds. Possibly the Nick Henry one in the playoffs? Can’t remember. Anyway, he’s the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Ipswich.

It was a 2 2 draw that he got Whitehouse sent off in. He dived and when he got up he went right in Whitehouses's face. Whiehouse shoved him over - Taricco was rolling around like he'd been shot and got him sent off. I'm sure we were 2 nil up at the time.

He spat at our players in the 2 all play off success.

Absolute twat.

Taricco was another Ainsworth

Different type of cunt.

Ainsworth was a cunt for the tackle and his conduct afterwards, not apologising or seemingly giving a fuck about his career ending assault.

Taricco was different in that EVERY time we or anyone else played them, he was a cynical dirty, spitting, injury feigning cheating cunt who seemed more bothered about getting opposition players sent off than playing football.

He was more another Muscat for me - both made from the same twat mould.

I have been to Portman Road twice and they have both been disastrous.

We lost 5 - 1 on a night game where Leigh Bromby got our goal. Wegot stuck in traffic and were late in and it is one of the handful of games I left early. The only consolation being by getting there late, going home early and 2 well timed pisses I missed 4 of Ipswich's goals - so it finished 1 all for me.

The worst was in the triple assault season - 2 nil up and on fire with Windass and Kabba ripping them to shreads. Then they had Pablo Counago sent off and that should have been it but it fired them up and inspired their fans and players. We just couldn't cope with Darren Bent and they beat us 3 - 2 - their fans mocking us by doing the tom hark celebration that we had done at 2 nil. They still do the tom hark goal music today.

Also remember another 2-2 on Sky under Spackman when Simon Tracey got knocked out and played the second half on another planet.

Couple of other notes from us v Ipswich. After we knocked them out in the play offs with 10 men their fans took on an irrational hatred of us as they had been on an unbelievable run and felt they would beat us easily - following that they called us 'Norwich of the North' - I am mates with an Ipswich fan and he confirms this bizarre irrational hatred of us continues with lots of them???

The other again stems from that play off match and Ipswich being sore losers. Their chairman David Sheepshanks was also chairman of the Football League and, because they lost on away goals he drove the change to scrap the away goal rule in play off matches. Something that I actually agree with but it was us v Ipswich which caused it.

It was a 2 2 draw that he got Whitehouse sent off in. He dived and when he got up he went right in Whitehouses's face. Whiehouse shoved him over - Taricco was rolling around like he'd been shot and got him sent off. I'm sure we were 2 nil up at the time.

He spat at our players in the 2 all play off success.

Absolute twat.

Having had a quick look, the 3-1 home defeat that I appear to recall is where Michel Vonk was sent off. Tarrico was on the pitch – has to have surely been involved...

Chris Short was also sent off in an away game where Tarrico was on the pitch. Again, got to be involved, surely.

Mmm, just did a bit of digging and apparently the wonder goal I was thinking about was against Ipswich but in a 3-1 win according to a post from about 7 years ago! -Thanks MobileBlade Not a bad way to open your Blades watching account :)https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/blades-7-ipswich-2.20109/
If you look at the Woody video we did the goal is on there. If I get chance I'll try and load it. WalthamstowBlade might be able lay his hands on it quicker.

Shefki kuqi also played for them, I'm sure I remember him getting a late goal for them at Bramall Lane. Like Taricco, we hated him as well!

Having had a quick look, the 3-1 home defeat that I appear to recall is where Michel Vonk was sent off. Tarrico was on the pitch – has to have surely been involved...

Chris Short was also sent off in an away game where Tarrico was on the pitch. Again, got to be involved, surely.
Tarrico got Whitehouse sent off in the game in Sept 95. Can't remember the score though.

Didn't Tony Field score in the 7-0 game? :confused:
I was at that Ipswich game going round to the Lane end for the second half and so seeing all seven goals from close range. They had a
goalie called Laurie Sivell who was unusually short for a goalie and that could have helped us somewhat. Tony Field wasn't in the team then. He joined the club a few

Mmm, just did a bit of digging and apparently the wonder goal I was thinking about was against Ipswich but in a 3-1 win according to a post from about 7 years ago! -Thanks MobileBlade Not a bad way to open your Blades watching account :)https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/blades-7-ipswich-2.20109/

If you look at the Woody video we did the goal is on there. If I get chance I'll try and load it. WalthamstowBlade might be able lay his hands on it quicker.

It should be on here...

Following on from above! Field joined the cub in 1973 or around then. I also remember a game against them at the Lane in the nineties: we were drawing 1-1 with a few minutes to go when the ref gave them a very dubious free kick near the touch line under the South Stand. From that they headed in a greatly undeserved winner at the Lane end.

I also recall the "Norwich City of the North" jibe. Let's hope they are not like the ugly, gamesmanship type of side that Norwich sent here a few weeks ago.

Went up to Portman Road in Nov 2003 with my mate - a Tractor Boy - and picked up my lad from his boarding school nearby at Holbrook. He had the worst head cold going and Tongy got us comps, and we watched as the Blades were bummed endwards 3-0 with that cunt Kuqi scoring a contentious, homer-ref penner in the first half.

One the way up we listened to Jonny Wilkinson boot us a winner in the beanchaser World Cup but the journey back - which is about as far at as it is to Sheffield, was pretty fucking miserable for me.

I was in town with me mum for the seven nowt. We were going in that record shop near the Pump Tavern and someone came out laughing saying " ... it's seven now!" I was fucking gutted I'd missed it.

pommpey

Ipswich was one of the grounds we took liberties in the old division one.

Cup game in ‘03 deserves a mention, think we won 4-3, it was the game following The 3-1 victory against the pigs where Brown scored another worldy of a volley.

Len Badger’s goal was an absolute screamer. I took my then girlfriend to her first ever game that day. She was very disappointed to discover subsequently that we didn’t score seven every week.

One of the most enjoyable matches I ever saw at The Lane. - we absolutely mullered 'em from start to finish.

As for the Badger goal, most people thought it was a deep cross which happened to finish up in the top corner - but I'm sure he'd tell you otherwise !

I vaguely remember being at the 7-0 game as a youngster, mullered them, have memories of one of those currie corners and woody volleys it in from the edge of the area or vice versa and someone scoring a diving header. Might be wrong. We were quite unpredictable in those days, win one lose the next.

Back
Top Bottom