Leeds Fan In Peace 2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah, Norwood is a done deal as above, it's just that stupid loan window. Buy now pay next year transfer.
Oh right one of those, stupid this closing the window early, makes no difference really.

Are you a spy? Will all the info given by my fellow Bladesmen above be handed over to your coach?

Right then..

Goalie crap in the air,
O'connell never overlaps,
Norwood can't hit a long ball and always passes back,
McGoldrick never moves around, Billy couldn't hit a barn door, and so on.

Also, your supporters will be welcomed with open arms in the Golden Lion......have a nice day at Beautiful downtown Bramall Lane.
Tbf mate i think Bielsa will have watched every game of yours 4 times by now going back 5 years, the mans obsessive lol. So no need for me to spy..

My take.

Like last season we are usually great at keeping possession and normally look better in attack than defence. On our day we will create some very good chances but we can struggle to put them away. We have players in Duffy, Fleck, Norwood and McG who can control games so provided we get the right service to Sharp and make the most of set pieces we should score.

Where teams manage to maintain long spells of possession against us and pin us back we can look vulnerable, especially when defending a lead. Leeds have enough in the bank to test us on Saturday.

Should be a good spectacle of attacking football with both teams going at it; hard to call the result.
Do you think you may be a bit over reliant on Billy Sharp?

Interesting you say that because we usually do dominate possession and pin teams back but they sit back anyways so they allow themselves to be pinned back to try and counter.

Hope its a good spectacle, be nice to have two teams trying to win for a change.

Just seen the cheating diving alioski try and con the ref. Is that a regular ploy Cjay if so what are your thoughts?
I dont like diving ever, he should be banned, fined, something, dont like it from anyone, one of ours or someone else. No its not tbf to him, havent seen a blatant dive like that from any of our players for ages, havent seen a penalty for an eternity either, like a year or something.

Better than expected start to the season but form has dipped recently.

We made some good, bad and indifferent signings in the summer but mainly cheap so not too much financial damage.

Contrary to the opinions of some of our fans we are not the best team in the league although some of the S6 delusion is spreading to S2 so some think that we are.

Hope we beat Leeds as ever but I'd take a point now, it will either be 3-2 or 0-0, we don't do much in between.

Also, a point I always like to make to our slack accented West Yorkshire friends, it's "One" pronounced similarly to the phonetic sound of "Won" not "Wun" ;)

Spent pretty big on Egan, like Egan, good player, although its his defensive partner i want us to sign :D

Think all things being equal we are both one of the best sides in the league, on a footballing level, but neither of us have the best players and squads which is the difference imo, but as teams we are as good as anyone on our days.

I to would take a point, be a good point and continue our little resurgence (back to back wins).

I shall pass this on (not being from Yorkshire i cant comment) :tumbleweed::p

Thanks for the response.

Hi Cjay . My thoughts here.
Pretty good, although id take exception to comparing Bielsa to flaming Carvalhal, if you look into what Bielsa did achieve it was pretty impressive, especially at Bilbao.

But here isnt the place for a full blown Bielsa defense lol.

Interesting read, thanks.

I've seen Leeds a few times this season and they're very beatable. However, they're also very good when they play at 100%

We need to race into an early lead to win this one for me. Like 2-0 before HT.

1-1 or 2-2 for me
Yes, we are very beatable on paper, not so easy on the pitch as others have seen tbf, but we arent invincible at all and have glaring weaknesses if people take advantage.

If you take the lead you probably will win, although we have a bit more fight this year and are better 2nd half, if we take the lead we will probably win, only side to not drop a point from a winning position i believe.

Thanks for the response.

Interesting you say that because we usually do dominate possession and pin teams back but they sit back anyways so they allow themselves to be pinned back to try and counter.

Hope its a good spectacle, be nice to have two teams trying to win for a change.

Not really, no. Sharp's finishing is a fantastic asset, but he requires excellent service. I'd say we're more reliant upon Mark Duffy and Norwood. We can be great across 2/3 of the pitch and then just lack that quality final ball to unlock a defence, which more often than not involves Duffy. When we get the delivery right, it's a team that any striker would love to be part of and would get goals. I think Sharp will start on Saturday, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Clarke take his place, or Washington retain his.

I'm sure I'll only be echoing the thoughts already posted on here. But, for me, Saturday sees the two most entertaining sides in the division meeting one another (cue the 0-0 bore fest).

The season so far is one that we've got to be pleased with. At times we've played with a level of skill and fluidity that I've never seen before from a Sheffield United side. At times we've looked border-line unplayable. Unfortunately we've also looked bang average or where on a number of occasions too. If you look at the last twice we were televised (also 2 local Derbies); in the first half against Wednesday we looked a really classy outfit, but just couldn't quite deal the killer blow. By contrast against Rotherham we were seriously poor, seriously lucky point that! So in summary we've largely been good, at times excellent but have been very inconsistent.

In terms of signings:
Signing of the season- Has to go to Norwood. His range of passing is superb, his set pieces have brought a new threat and he's key to what we do. Stats wise he's played the most passes and created the most chances in the whole division. 90% of the time he's truly excellent, 10% he's useless.

Surprise of the season- David Mcgoldrick. Really skilful player, excellent build up play and plays some really clever touches. His finishing isn't quite good enough at the minute, but he causes problems.

Young player- Dean Deano Hendo Henderson. What a young keeper he is. Big character, awesome shot stopper. Doesn't claim crosses or hold on to stuff quite as well as I'd hoped, but overall a real quality addition. We all just wish we could afford him permanently!

Disappointment of the season- Ben Woodburn. Came really highly rated, seen as something of a coup. I thought he could even be an upgrade on Brooks. I was wrong. We've not seen much of him, but he's not been able to force his way in and will no doubt be heading back over the pennies to Liverpool in January.

In terms of our manager. Wilder continues to over achieve. He's serving up champagne football on a lemonade budget. He's a born and bread blade; safe to say we love him. He can get other fans backs up, and spits his dummy out when opposing teams don't play to his self imposed moral code. But we still love him.

Enjoy the game Saturday, I'm predicting a score draw, but Leeds haven't faired too well against the Sheffield clubs of late.
I watched the Sheffield game and you like us against them just couldnt break them down, which is so frustrating when that happens, its something we have struggled with at times, there are a good few games we could have won, or could have won easier, but just didnt take our chances. I didnt watch the Rotherham game, or did i watch a bit of it, i cant remember i definitely didnt watch all of it. Souund like us and you are similar, can be superb, just cant find consistency.

Sounds like we have to sit on Norwood, or keep him so busy going backwards that he doesnt have a chance to get going forwards.

Remember there being a bit of annoyance when you got him and didnt sign Blackman, funny how things work out.

Surprised about Woodburn, he came on vs us and think it was his first ever professional goal he scored, he looked really decent and that was a few years ago now.

Bielsa has said today that Chris Wilder is a coach with "new ideas" and that Bielsa has tried in his career to use things that Chris Wilder has got you doing and he hasnt been able to. Thats big praise for a man who whatever you think of his managerial record and trophy cabinet he is regarded as one of the most innovative coaches of all time, some compliment. Think he has done a great job, but just wonder, how long will he stay if he isnt given the cash to get you over the final hurdle so to speak?

We havent which makes me nervous, take a point, hope for better.

Thanks for the response.

One of the smaller budgets in the league? In what way? You must have a decent wage bill?
I cant find where i read it, but our wages and such is much smaller then probably people expect, we run a very tight ship, Bielsa is our highest paid employee by quite a way.

Our wage bill to turnover ratio was one of the lowest in the league i seem to remember, while it has gone up since those accounts were released i would still imagine its closer to the bottom of the table then the top. Midway at best, i can name 10 or 11 teams im confident will have higher wage bills.

Spent pretty big on Egan, like Egan, good player, although its his defensive partner i want us to sign :D

Think all things being equal we are both one of the best sides in the league, on a footballing level, but neither of us have the best players and squads which is the difference imo, but as teams we are as good as anyone on our days.

I to would take a point, be a good point and continue our little resurgence (back to back wins).

I shall pass this on (not being from Yorkshire i cant comment) :tumbleweed::p

Thanks for the response.

It depends who you ask about Egan, the pigs are convinced that we only paid £2m, in which case I’m ecstatic but in their twisted world more expensive = better.

Bamford cost them 8m, not sure about Hernandez, but that will be at least a few mill, Barry douglas was a few mill...

So, not quite the 'one of the smallest budgets'.
That may have been an exaggeration lol i admit.

Tbf though Bamford fee was covered by selling Ronaldo Vieira. Hernandez was years ago for like £2mil apparently. Think it was 2016/2017 accounts we made a prift through player sales, turnover was up, wage bill to turnover ratio was the lowest in the league, we live within our means.

But probably 11th -13th wage bill wise id imagine, we certainly arent loaded, theres a lot of parachute payment sides in the league and big spending ones.

That may have been an exaggeration lol i admit.

But probably 11th -13th wage bill wise id imagine, we certainly arent loaded, theres a lot of parachute payment sides in the league and big spending ones.
Can't believe you would have got Bielsa if you were skint mate.

Nope, we don’t rely on Billy Sharp at all, that’s the thing, in some of the games we think he’s an automatic choice the manager sometimes doesn’t play him, saturday he’d be first name on the sheet for me, but I’ve a feeling you’ll get Clarke and Mcgoldrick.. which I know Leeds fans will be happier with..

However, our strikers all have “patches” and if Clarke starts the game well you’ll have problems anyway.. we are brilliant up front or frustrating so it’s 50/50 what you’ll see on Saturday but I think Leon is coming into a spell at the minute so might just get the nod.

You know sharp only needs one chance against his ex teams (which we know well also), so I can’t blame you for picking him out.

Can't believe you would have got Bielsa if you were skint mate.
Not skint mate, not pleading poverty, poorly worded tbh, we arent skint or working on a tiny budget like Burton did for example.

But compared to the parachute clubs, the big spenders, Birmingham, Derby, Villa etc, we are poor. We live within our mean, its nice, but we dont have tons of cash to throw about, dont forget our owner had to get another investor, we arent loaded lol.

Not skint mate, not pleading poverty, poorly worded tbh, we arent skint or working on a tiny budget like Burton did for example.

But compared to the parachute clubs, the big spenders, Birmingham, Derby, Villa etc, we are poor. We live within our mean, its nice, but we dont have tons of cash to throw about, dont forget our owner had to get another investor, we arent loaded lol.

Compared to the Forests, Villas and Derby's of the championship, no.

Compared to us, you're wealthy :)

I watched the Sheffield game and you like us against them just couldnt break them down, which is so frustrating when that happens, its something we have struggled with at times, there are a good few games we could have won, or could have won easier, but just didnt take our chances. I didnt watch the Rotherham game, or did i watch a bit of it, i cant remember i definitely didnt watch all of it. Souund like us and you are similar, can be superb, just cant find consistency.

Sounds like we have to sit on Norwood, or keep him so busy going backwards that he doesnt have a chance to get going forwards.

Remember there being a bit of annoyance when you got him and didnt sign Blackman, funny how things work out.

Surprised about Woodburn, he came on vs us and think it was his first ever professional goal he scored, he looked really decent and that was a few years ago now.

Bielsa has said today that Chris Wilder is a coach with "new ideas" and that Bielsa has tried in his career to use things that Chris Wilder has got you doing and he hasnt been able to. Thats big praise for a man who whatever you think of his managerial record and trophy cabinet he is regarded as one of the most innovative coaches of all time, some compliment. Think he has done a great job, but just wonder, how long will he stay if he isnt given the cash to get you over the final hurdle so to speak?

We havent which makes me nervous, take a point, hope for better.

Thanks for the response.

Bielsa is a really interesting character, I'm still amazed he's managing at this level. But I suppose Leeds always has the ability to attract talent in a way very few non-premier league sides have. I've got to say I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen from Leeds this season. The style and intensity is really exciting to watch, it's seriously impressive how quickly he's managed to change things.

R.E. Wilder, I think we're incredibly fortunate that he's a fan. I think that's the only real reason he's stuck with us. He really embraces some different styles, our 3-5-2 with over lapping centre backs is really brave, and to be honest came about because we didn't have 2 centre backs good enough to play as a pairing. It forced Wilder to adapt and has led us to where we are now. I think it would take a seriously big offer to temp him away from us, he's still relatively young and knows what a hero he is to our fans. My only worry is our ownership situation. I'm not sure how much you've read about it, but safe to say its complex. When the issue of co-ownership and who should buy who out is ending up in court, its less than ideal. Would foreign ownership mean they'd lose the connection? Would the local boy have enough money and ambition to keep Wilder happy?
Who knows, but I'm sure they both appreciate Wilder represents exceptional value for money. OUr strikers cost less than £1m for all 4 of em, and our midfield includes 3 free signings and even those that cost money the most expensive is circa £1.5m. I think there's only Norwood and Egan who cost us over £1m. WIlder is a borderline miracle worker!

Saturday should be fun, we normally do well against Leeds but this will be a real test. I'm not sure we're as good a footballing side as we like to think, and may come unstuck. If one team manages to outplay the other, they might just be the real deal.

I wouldn't say we are over reliant on him but he is by far the best finisher at present. Clarke is an equally good [if not better] finisher but has struggled to get on a run so far this campaign, where as last season he was the main man and unplayable. McG seems to have missed a few sitters already, so we need that to improve but his link up play is sublime.
On a positive note for us we seem to be getting regular goals from midfield and defence and one thing about our team is that players pop up in the box from all over the place.
We will try and get at you early and be the ones pinning you back, but it's how we cope when you are on the ball that could be telling.

MOTForum mate, http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34686.

We havent had a big budget for a long time lol, even now we have one of the smaller budgets in the league, something that gets overlooked i feel. We live within our means now, can be frustrating, is frustrating when you see the big spenders throwing it about willy nilly, but better then the alternative which we had before.

I wouldnt say we are favourites, your 5th placed and playing at home, id have you as favourites (haven't checked odds i must admit). We do like a little meltdown this is true :D I hadnt realised how poor our record was vs you till i looked, 1 win in the last 11 meetings, no wins at your place since 1992, its not good reading.

I take hope from our record against some tough teams this season away, you have the same points total at home as Norwich and Wigan and 1 more then Derby, we beat them, so there is hope. But we are missing key players, Pontus Jansson may not be fit, Luke Ayling, Gaetano Berardi, Patrick Bamford, Izzy Brown, Tom Pearce, 5 of those probably would be in our first choice 18.

Roofe is a very clever player, but a physical threat in the air he is not, he relies on movement, if tracked well he will cause no problems in the air for your large cbs. Hernandez is key, [plays on the right normally but he turns up all over the place, capable of doing nothing all game then winning it in a second.

But like you i think we can leave ourselves very open, it concerns me because we play a similar style to Brentford and you beat them (although they seem to have lost there way since Dean Smith left).

If we both play our usual style and at our very best which for us would be the first time in a while tbh, then that could make for an awesome game, a really good advert for The Championship.

COuld go either way, we may not cope with your style, or you may not cope with ours, someone could get a thumping, but i think its more likely to be a tight affair as you say, ill go for 2-1 us, but id be very happy with a point.

Thanks for the response.

Good post mate, but still have to disagree re the budget. Other than the early 2000's, when of course Leeds went into meltdown from spending too much and then had little to spend, Leeds have always spent - check out your history if you don't believe me. Was the same in 1990 when we managed to get the same points as Leeds and get promoted and that was some achievement to match Leeds that season and your current squad cost a fair bit too, much more than ours - in fact Patrick Bamford cost more than our whole squad! Correct me if I'm wrong, Bamford £7m rising to £10m, Barry Douglas £3m, Tyler Roberts £2.5m rising to £4m, Adam Foreshaw £4.5m.

The rest of Leeds squad that came for transfer fees are undisclosed so of course its very difficult to tell on these fees but again they'll be significant when all added up - people like Stuart Dallas and Kemar Roofe, but lets compare it to our front line.

Billy Sharp £500,000
Leon Clarke £130,000
David McGoldrick - free
Conor Washington - free
Mark Duffy - free

We spent £4m on Egan and £2m on Norwood and with other smaller deals the squad works out to about the same as the Bamford deal. Look through the rest of our team its littered with more free transfers and small fees. People like John Fleck, Jack O'Connell and Enda Stevens.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...k-bamford-signs-for-leeds-on-a-four-year-deal

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11448783/leeds-agree-3m-barry-douglas-deal-with-wolves

Last edited:
:fattwat: is this him?

Nah, that's Martin Samuels 'hard hitting investigative' journalist and scourge of all things SUFC.

He also happens to be a fan of the CheatingAmmers. Who'd have thunk it?

He is a grade A twat and much loathed on here.

Not as much as DirtyLeeds tho'..........

Nope, we don’t rely on Billy Sharp at all, that’s the thing, in some of the games we think he’s an automatic choice the manager sometimes doesn’t play him, saturday he’d be first name on the sheet for me, but I’ve a feeling you’ll get Clarke and Mcgoldrick.. which I know Leeds fans will be happier with..

However, our strikers all have “patches” and if Clarke starts the game well you’ll have problems anyway.. we are brilliant up front or frustrating so it’s 50/50 what you’ll see on Saturday but I think Leon is coming into a spell at the minute so might just get the nod.

You know sharp only needs one chance against his ex teams (which we know well also), so I can’t blame you for picking him out.
Not sure which id prefer, McGoldrick and Clarke are physical and strong and we do lack that a bit without Jansson, however Sharp is a guaranteed to score if he plays.

Take comfort from us conceding the fewest shooting chances per game by quite a way in the league.

But only takes 1 as you say.

Bielsa is a really interesting character, I'm still amazed he's managing at this level. But I suppose Leeds always has the ability to attract talent in a way very few non-premier league sides have. I've got to say I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen from Leeds this season. The style and intensity is really exciting to watch, it's seriously impressive how quickly he's managed to change things.

R.E. Wilder, I think we're incredibly fortunate that he's a fan. I think that's the only real reason he's stuck with us. He really embraces some different styles, our 3-5-2 with over lapping centre backs is really brave, and to be honest came about because we didn't have 2 centre backs good enough to play as a pairing. It forced Wilder to adapt and has led us to where we are now. I think it would take a seriously big offer to temp him away from us, he's still relatively young and knows what a hero he is to our fans. My only worry is our ownership situation. I'm not sure how much you've read about it, but safe to say its complex. When the issue of co-ownership and who should buy who out is ending up in court, its less than ideal. Would foreign ownership mean they'd lose the connection? Would the local boy have enough money and ambition to keep Wilder happy?
Who knows, but I'm sure they both appreciate Wilder represents exceptional value for money. OUr strikers cost less than £1m for all 4 of em, and our midfield includes 3 free signings and even those that cost money the most expensive is circa £1.5m. I think there's only Norwood and Egan who cost us over £1m. WIlder is a borderline miracle worker!

Saturday should be fun, we normally do well against Leeds but this will be a real test. I'm not sure we're as good a footballing side as we like to think, and may come unstuck. If one team manages to outplay the other, they might just be the real deal.
Bielsa has been brilliant all round, even just his press conferences are an event, such intelligence and knowledge. Recognise his flaws his stubbornness, just have to accept that. But to take us from bottom 3 of the form table all of 2018 to top 2 as of now in the league with really only Barry Douglas added its very impressive.

I only really know there is a disagreement between the two owners, the Saudi bloke and McCabe and it is going to court. Seem to remember Wilder has expressed frustration before about money? It must be frustrating for a.manager to know what he needs to take his club to the next level but be unable to through no fault of his own.

That is very impressive, also shows how a manager doesnt need money, maybe just needs time and a bit of patience to allow him to implement his ideas.

Its a game that could really kickstart a season for one of us, a good win and that may be the catalyst we need to get through the tough xmas period.

I wouldn't say we are over reliant on him but he is by far the best finisher at present. Clarke is an equally good [if not better] finisher but has struggled to get on a run so far this campaign, where as last season he was the main man and unplayable. McG seems to have missed a few sitters already, so we need that to improve but his link up play is sublime.
On a positive note for us we seem to be getting regular goals from midfield and defence and one thing about our team is that players pop up in the box from all over the place.
We will try and get at you early and be the ones pinning you back, but it's how we cope when you are on the ball that could be telling.
Be interesting to see how we cope if you manage to pin us back, hasnt really happened. Brentford did it best and we did struggle although it took a questionable penalty for them to score.

Be a really interesting game, will either manager compromise his style to contain the other? Or will they both stick to there beliefs.

Thanks for the response

Good post mate, but still have to disagree re the budget. Other than the early 2000's, when of course Leeds went into meltdown from spending too much and then had little to spend, Leeds have always spent - check out your history if you don't believe me. Was the same in 1990 when we managed to get the same points as Leeds and get promoted and that was some achievement to match Leeds that season and your current squad cost a fair bit too, much more than ours - in fact Patrick Bamford cost more than our whole squad! Correct me if I'm wrong, Bamford £7m rising to £10m, Barry Douglas £3m, Tyler Roberts £2.5m rising to £4m, Adam Foreshaw £4.5m.

The rest of Leeds squad that came for transfer fees are undisclosed so of course its very difficult to tell on these fees but again they'll be significant when all added up - people like Stuart Dallas and Kemar Roofe, but lets compare it to our front line.

Billy Sharp £500,000
Leon Clarke £130,000
David McGoldrick - free
Conor Washington - free
Mark Duffy - free

We spent £4m on Egan and £2m on Norwood and with other smaller deals the squad works out to about the same as the Bamford deal. Look through the rest of our team its littered with more free transfers and small fees. People like John Fleck, Jack O'Connell and Enda Stevens.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...k-bamford-signs-for-leeds-on-a-four-year-deal

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/11448783/leeds-agree-3m-barry-douglas-deal-with-wolves

Know we have spent in the past, i can only comment on my lifetime that i remember.

We had the daft bit in the late 1990s early 2000s, since then very little.

No you're right.

What i should have said is our budget is within what we can afford.
Chris Wood £15mil
Lewis Cook £6mil
Ronaldo Vieira £7mil
Charlie Taylor £7mil
Liam Bridcutt £1mil
Sam Byram £4mil
Ross McCormack £11mil

Over the 3 or 4 years we havs received over £50mil in fees. Our budget isnt tiny, but it is sustainable and mid table.

Back
Top Bottom