Fundamental Finances

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ron_Justice

Reaction score
Bit of background please Blades:

Reading the flurry of threads over the last couple of weeks re: The Clubs relative abilities, financial clout, 'ability to compete' etc, etc has got me wondering, what are the fundamental differences between the Championship and League One as far as the money the club receives?

Are there payments made by the FA and the higher you climb the football ladder the higher those fees?

Is there much more TV money flying around?

Gates, thanks to amazing support, are expected to be broadly the same as previous years, am l missing something.

Is advertising revenue much higher due to potential exposure?

Have at it!

UTB

Reading the flurry of threads over the last couple of weeks re: The Clubs relative abilities, financial clout, 'ability to compete' etc, etc has got me wondering, what are the fundamental differences between the Championship and League One as far as the money the the club receives?

Are there payments made by the FA and the higher you climb the football ladder the higher those fees?

Gates, thanks to amazing support, are expected to be broadly the same as previous years.

Have at it!

UTB
Income is higher but it's irrelevant as we're now poorer and weaker than we were in league one as everyone is richer and stronger in the Championship

I'm sure that I read somewhere that tv money was

League 2 teams get £0.2 million per season
League 1 teams get £0.5 million per season
Championship teams get over £4 million per season
PL teams get £100 million per season

Reading the flurry of threads over the last couple of weeks re: The Clubs relative abilities, financial clout, 'ability to compete' etc, etc has got me wondering, what are the fundamental differences between the Championship and League One as far as the money the club receives?

Gates, thanks to amazing support, are expected to be broadly the same as previous years, am l missing something.

Have at it!

UTB

I think you get about £5million a season more in the championship (tv money etc.). But the teams on parachute payments obviously have a lot more than that and the teams who's owners are willing to throw tens of millions at getting to the Prem for the big payday mean that if you don't have one of those two things going for you, it's likely to be tough. That said, I still think there are teams we can compete with financially and even over power some of them (Barnsley, Burton, Bolton, Millwall, Ipswich, maybe Preston) but it will be very hard to finish higher than mid-table given the resources that around half the division has at their disposal.

Hmm, the parachute payments seem to be one of the main issues. I understand their place in the games structure but it feels like the amount, and reliance on them is skewing things.

IMO, if players can have promotion bonuses written into their contacts, they can also have relegation reductions written in as well. That way, a club can continue to survive when the Prem. money runs out...

How much do teams get? Is it spread across multiple years?

Save the autopsy for the end of the transfer window.

Autopsy? I'm not having a go at the club (others may be, from a financial P. O. V.) I'm interested in the general facts and figures tied to life in the Champ v's life in League 1.

Do we get parachute payments if we end up back in League One

So that we can continue to pay our players "mega Championship contracts"

I think you get about £5million a season more in the championship (tv money etc.). But the teams on parachute payments obviously have a lot more than that and the teams who's owners are willing to throw tens of millions at getting to the Prem for the big payday mean that if you don't have one of those two things going for you, it's likely to be tough. That said, I still think there are teams we can compete with financially and even over power some of them (Barnsley, Burton, Bolton, Millwall, Ipswich, maybe Preston) but it will be very hard to finish higher than mid-table given the resources that around half the division has at their disposal.
It would be great if we weren't the Pigs poor financial neighbours.

Back
Top Bottom