Dwight Gayle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ricky

Banned
Reaction score
Not a rumour. Bit of a suggestion, bit of a speculative guess as a possible target of Wilder's.

What would we make of him?

I think there's a decent case for him, once you get over the diving and that highly punchable face....

Quick, scores goals, has played the lone role before, PL experience, something to prove.
We need pace and we need 2 strikers who can lead the line. Having a quick one who can do that would be very useful and reduce the need for extra signings. He's also played from wide, although I don't think he should.

Non league background.

Surprisingly, West Brom apparently see him as a future coach/manager due to 'the things he sees in games and in training'.

He seems to be strong mentally, and not give a shit what anyone thinks of him.

Player of the season at West Brom. 23 goals with no penalties.

He seems unwanted at Newcastle, and should be affordable, both fee and wages.

He actually ticks a lot of boxes doesn't he? No denying it.

I don't buy the 'not good enough for PL' tag. He's scored there before and will again given the chance.

I think he's a very viable option for us.

He'll be 30 next season.

The 'not good enough' for Premier League comes from the fact he hasn't played there for ages and even Newcastle (despite banging them in for them in promotion season) got rid of him. So they don't think he'd good enough either.

They'll want about 15m

No.

EDIT: And palace got rid of him, despite being desperate for a striker for years.

• Banned
He'll be 30 next season.

The 'not good enough' for Premier League comes from the fact he hasn't played there for ages and even Newcastle (despite banging them in for them in promotion season) got rid of him. So they don't think he'd good enough either.

They'll want about 15m

No.

EDIT: And palace got rid of him, despite being desperate for a striker for years.

29 in October.

They can't expect to get £15m. I think £10m would be a stretch.

I don't think a striker can be as routinely prolific in the Championship without being capable in the PL, in the right team.

He didn't suit Rafa Benitez at PL level, Rondon is what they needed and he's very different.

PL clubs have binned him but he's got something to prove and he might be better placed to have a crack at it than previously.

29 in October.

They can't expect to get £15m. I think £10m would be a stretch.

I don't think a striker can be as routinely prolific in the Championship without being capable in the PL, in the right team.

He didn't suit Rafa Benitez at PL level, Rondon is what they needed and he's very different.

PL clubs have binned him but he's got something to prove and he might be better placed to have a crack at it than previously.

Could we go for Rondon instead too :)

I think he's a top striker and if we could afford him I'd be delighted. One concern I have, and its not the usual one, is that he seems joyless, completely deadpan, even when he scores. It's a given that he has to fit in with a very tight squad, and that would worry me a bit, but then if Chris says it's OK with him, it's OK with me.

Yes, I would definitely take him at 7 million or less. Three year contract.

With apologies to all our paragons of virtues—I don’t mind his diving. He’s a competitor, which we’ll need.

Regards diving, Wilder brought in Carruthers and Baldock after they dived all over the place against us for MK Dons.

He seems to be one of those players that excels in the championship but struggles a bit to make the step up.

Good player, bit of a diving twat. Depending on how much he’d cost he’s not s bad shout.

I think we can do better than Gayle, he's an option but I'd rather others such as Maupay, McBurnie but I admit they'll be more expensive than Gayle. Saying that, Gayle's got two seasons to go on his current deal, I can see him going for £10m, he won't be cheap either.

Impressive reading about his form this season:

34 starts
24 goals
No penalties
7 headers
Started 12 games on the wing (according to transfermarkt)
7 goals from the games playing on the wing

I'm not sure it's completely fair to say he played on the wing in all those games but he has been shoved out on occasions to accommodate Jay Rodriguez. But his versatility is obviously a plus.

He’s one that would fit the model of building a team to stay up, but if we go down would have us very well equipped to return immediately. I like it.

West Brom staying down.

So that's his future up in the air.

He's surely there for us if we want him. I think he'll take any chance at the PL that he can get.

Maupay, McBurnie, Patrick Roberts, Jarrod Bowen, Tom Cairney, Daniel James

This is just a snapshot of the type of player we should be buying. They are young and I believe can play in the Premier League, they will improve further and they will have a future sell on value likely to be more than we paid.
They will cost money, but we've just been given our biggest bonanza ever, if the club once again tries to survive with £3 - £5 million pound bargain buys we'll deserve relegation when it eventually comes

This is just a snapshot of the type of player we should be buying.

If all our signings were those types then we'd need to be spending about £100m.

This is just a snapshot of the type of player we should be buying. They are young and I believe can play in the Premier League, they will improve further and they will have a future sell on value likely to be more than we paid.
They will cost money, but we've just been given our biggest bonanza ever, if the club once again tries to survive with £3 - £5 million pound bargain buys we'll deserve relegation when it eventually comes

Pray tell, which previous 'bargain buys' have we bought for £5mil?

As for your list, considering that James is valued at £15 mil, perhaps you should reveal your next list?

Pray tell, which previous 'bargain buys' have we bought for £5mil?

As for your list, considering that James is valued at £15 mil, perhaps you should reveal your next list?

I didn't say we had signed any bargain buys for £5 million, there's certainly room for signings in that price bracket.
And what's wrong with £15 million for James anyway ?

A good season in the Prem and that becomes £30 million, same with the rest of the players mentioned. I also didn't say we should sign them all

If all our signings were those types then we'd need to be spending about £100m.

I made a list, it could have gone to twenty or thirty other players, I didn't suggest we should sign all of them. It's just a snapshot of the type of player we should be looking at

I didn't say we had signed any bargain buys for £5 million, there's certainly room for signings in that price bracket.
And what's wrong with £15 million for James anyway ?

A good season in the Prem and that becomes £30 million, same with the rest of the players mentioned. I also didn't say we should sign them all

What you said was, "If the club once again tries to survive with £3 - £5 million pound bargain buys". So, yes, you clearly said that we had previously spent these figures.

I don't recall doubting your sums, just that a more realistic approach is what we'll employ.

Back
Top Bottom