Can we make it bigger?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cerberus Blade

Reaction score
When, (not if), we go up to the Prem at the end of this season, can we get started please on making our ground bigger?

I want that two tier kop with standing in the lower section and I want the South Stand (where I sit) to be extended to be bigger than the main stand at Elland Road. Ground Capacity not less than 40,000.

I’m only mentioning it now because if we’re going to do it in summer we need to be getting brickies out for a quote now as all the good ones are booked up months in advance. I know this because I’ve recently tried to get a brickie out to put a cantilever roof and faux-Gothic turrets on our outside shithouse and you just can’t get the buggers to come out and quote even unless you give them plenty of notice.

So..gerronweit!

The stadium always held 50,000 + in years gone by, although it was never full United were one of those clubs that could fill it on very rare occasions when the game really demanded it.
I think we probably have more fans now (including floating fans) than we did then, and football is a game on the up, although much more expensive

40,000 - 42,000 is about right, but there has to be a proper stadium plan in place, not just sticking extra seats into places that are going to be segregated or netted off.

The away end should be sectioned into pieces so that the stadium can cater for small away followings and large away followings, not just stuck in the same area wasting seats whether there's 50 of them or 5,000 of them.

Last edited:
When, (not if), we go up to the Prem at the end of this season, can we get started please on making our ground bigger?

I want that two tier kop with standing in the lower section and I want the South Stand (where I sit) to be extended to be bigger than the main stand at Elland Road. Ground Capacity not less than 40,000.

I’m only mentioning it now because if we’re going to do it in summer we need to be getting brickies out for a quote now as all the good ones are booked up months in advance. I know this because I’ve recently tried to get a brickie out to put a cantilever roof and faux-Gothic turrets on our outside shithouse and you just can’t get the buggers to come out and quote even unless you give them plenty of notice.

So..gerronweit!

Rather buy a centre forward

Depends whether we see ourselves as we always have been or something else?

All these Chinese students coming here... think about it...

We could be the new Chengdu Blades.

We don't need a bigger ground and we probably never will.

Been discussed on here a million times over the years.
Our demand for tickets is very good already even when we’re playing the middling to bottom end clubs, we will either sellout or not far off sellout our remaining games and some people will end up disappointed, this when we only give the away fans 2,800 whilst being in the Championship. Of course we could do with a bigger ground, that is if we want to improve with the times?

Our demand for tickets is very good already even when we’re playing the middling to bottom end clubs, we will either sellout or not far off sellout our remaining games and some people will end up disappointed, this when we only give the away fans 2,800 whilst being in the Championship. Of course we could do with a bigger ground, that is if we want to improve with the times?

There's no need for a bigger stadium unless you're consistently selling out.

When was the last time we were consistently selling out?

It's never happened in my lifetime.

We don't need a bigger ground and we probably never will.

Been discussed on here a million times over the years.

Well, considering there were some near criminal cartels in the past that would have had us out in Don Valley stadium many years ago we ain't done too bad at rebuilding our support.
The fans are there, Sheffield and it's Metropolitan area is absolutely huge, it's just about getting them into the habit of coming to games. Previous teams and boardrooms have not been able to appeal to them, but gradually, slowly but surely this is changing

So..gerronweit!
Looking at pictures of pretty ladies normally works

I think we probably have more fans now (including floating fans) than we did then

Last year average 26,854.

This year so far 25,620.

Maybe because our top players have left :rolleyes:.

The record attendance for the ground is 68,287 set at an FA Cup 5th Round tie between Sheffield United and Leeds United on 15 February 1936. The ground has now been extensively renovated in the wake of the Taylor Report, and has an all-seated capacity of 32,702.

If were a consistent premier league club, we'd definitely need a bigger ground.That much is obvious and already proven to some degree by our last top flight season. Our hospitality areas are full now for any moderately sized game. I went in the hospitality areas at the Rotherham game, and it was rammed. A certain clientele will be put off by the current substandard facilities on some of the stands, and other events at the Lane are somewhat handicapped by these factors too. The South will probably be done first, for all these reasons.In the modern age, Sheffield United have never been a regular top flight club. The club will take off when this happens.It needs a visionary with deep pockets.

Wouldn't change anything about Bramall Lane (except from the size of the John Street stand). It is quite modern, whilst still retaining a ton of character, and soul. The south stand is iconic (probably not outside of Sheffield) and the KOP just gives the ground that traditional feel. The stands they’re on about replacing are without a doubt my favourite, we aren’t even selling out as it is, no reason yet. Don’t even know if we’ll go up, shouldn’t count your chickens.

So is our support poor or do we NEED a Forty odd thousand seater stadium?

If we - well, not actually us, someone else - spend on the stadium rather than the team there would be hell to pay.

It's how you define 'an established Premiership club'.

Different era but in the early 1970's we were an 'established top flight club', removed Yorkshire CC from the Lane and started to construct the South Stand.

In May 1975 we just missed out on qualifying for Europe and a few months later the South Stand opened. Things looked good.

Six years later we were in the fourth division.

It's a big risk and there is probably no room for error.

It's how you define 'an established Premiership club'.

Different era but in the early 1970's we were an 'established top flight club', removed Yorkshire CC from the Lane and started to construct the South Stand.

In May 1975 we just missed out on qualifying for Europe and a few months later the South Stand opened. Things looked good.

Six years later we were in the fourth division.

It's a big risk and there is probably no room for error.
McCabe said it would be after surviving the initial first season in the Premiership. We do need a bigger stadium, the only debate is how much bigger.

My personal opinion is an initial expansion to about 37000.

There's no need for a bigger stadium unless you're consistently selling out.

When was the last time we were consistently selling out?

It's never happened in my lifetime.
I think our fan base is bigger now than I can remember nuddy, only my opinion but I honestly think if we carry on at this rate of knots we’ll get to within 50,000 fans off the massive fan base over the road. :)

Seriously, why shouldn’t we want our ground bigger to ultimately bring more revenue in? We can give the away fans more tickets aswell which would also boost figures. There’s atleast 6 or 7 clubs in the Championship this season that would’ve brought 5 or 6,000 fans comfortably, why can’t we strive for bigger and better?

The stadium always held 50,000 + in years gone by, although it was never full United were one of those clubs that could fill it on very rare occasions when the game really demanded it.
I think we probably have more fans now (including floating fans) than we did then, and football is a game on the up, although much more expensive

40,000 - 42,000 is about right, but there has to be a proper stadium plan in place, not just sticking extra seats into places that are going to be segregated or netted off.

The away end should be sectioned into pieces so that the stadium can cater for small away followings and large away followings, not just stuck in the same area wasting seats whether there's 50 of them or 5,000 of them.

I think the reason why us and Wednesday could get 50K when playing Man Utd in the 70’s was because it was so easy for floaters to just turn up,and stand together. Man United could bring 10,000 away fans abs they’d all get in, about 7,000 on the away end and 3,000 in the John Street and South stand. Although I do think football is more popular now than the 70’s and 80’s with many more women and kids attending. 40,000 averages might seem like dreamland but South Yorkshire is a big place, loads of potential to average 40K.

Also regards the stadium expansion I’m sure I read a quote from McCabe saying work would begin the Summer immediately after we’ve retained our place in the PL, so potentially work would start Summer 2020. He also said ideally he’d prefer to do both the Kop and the South stand at the same and during building works the design would only mean a slight reduction in current capacity.

Back
Top Bottom