Best Stand: Or rather, is John St any good

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AnotherBlade

Reaction score
I know this is subjective but thinking of moving from the Kop for various reasons (nothing wrong with where we sit in it's own right). Thinking of moving to John Street as me and the 5 year old. Other than no swearing signs what do people think of it compared with other parts of the ground as its the only one I've not been in (and that weird pukka pie corner)?

I was on the kop but moved to John Street.

For a start there’s a bit more leg room.

Secondly there’s a better view.

Thirdly there’s a better class of people. Less idiots. More family orientated.

Fourthly you can go and get a bit warmer under the stand at half time. Also we have televisions on!

It’s easier to get out too.

And you can hear the tannoy better.

The only negative I can think of is there’s not as much singing, the atmosphere isn’t as good. And the food is still ridiculously overpriced rubbish.

The beer - reasonable prices and tastes half decent.

Hope this helps you.

Pukka pies corner weirdo here. Not a bad view with good access and egress.
Aroma of Pukka pies wafted at half time, glad it's not Blackburn Meadows stand.
Hope this helps.

I was just looking at the Pukka corner from the south stand at half time last night and I noticed some of the seats at the back, on the left hand side from where I was. Behind a partition and they don't seem to have just a restricted view, they look like you'd probably only be able to see the kop end goalmouth to me. Don't get that at all.

I moved from Kop this season with 8 year and 10 year old, better view for kids they can watch the game, better leg room and we use the international bar at half time to keep warm, have a pint with no queuing up. We moved to the Kop side to still get the atmosphere

I moved from Kop this season with 8 year and 10 year old, better view for kids they can watch the game, better leg room and we use the international bar at half time to keep warm, have a pint with no queuing up. We moved to the Kop side to still get the atmosphere

Thanks. So you can actually go upstairs to the international bar at half time?

Pukka pies corner weirdo here. Not a bad view with good access and egress.
Aroma of Pukka pies wafted at half time, glad it's not Blackburn Meadows stand.
Hope this helps.

lol, just said the stand was weird. All good.

I know this is subjective but thinking of moving from the Kop for various reasons (nothing wrong with where we sit in it's own right). Thinking of moving to John Street as me and the 5 year old. Other than no swearing signs what do people think of it compared with other parts of the ground as its the only one I've not been in (and that weird pukka pie corner)?

Me and the nipper used to be on John Street when he was under 16. We were 2nd row from the back and nearish to the Kop.
It was a decent view and enjoyed it - make sure you take a baseball cap as the sun can shine right over the stand at certain times.
I always got the impression there was more space beneath the stand as against the South stand where we are now.

South stand is just too full before a game.

UTB

I was just looking at the Pukka corner from the south stand at half time last night and I noticed some of the seats at the back, on the left hand side from where I was. Behind a partition and they don't seem to have just a restricted view, they look like you'd probably only be able to see the kop end goalmouth to me. Don't get that at all.
Not a bad view mostly although there are signs warning about restricted view in certain seats. Blut or Westfield corner is a brilliant stand from which to watch a game of footy. Unless the club still does the offers to students and like,£5 ticket, programme, pie , pint. I've had to shift them from the seat I've paid top dollar for.

You have to buy a 20 quid membership for season, but you can go in at halftime through fire exit near away fans. There is a 350 person limit but I reckon at most 100 during the season in side.

Thanks. Is that just the club membership, meaning having season tickets suffice or something specifically for the inter bar?

I've always had my season tickets in the South Stand, but that's partly about the convenience of renewing without any thought (only changed seats once in twenty years, though I have moved around the ground for some one off games). I like a good atmosphere but first and foremost I'm there to watch a game of football and the view is my highest priority. I like sitting closer towards the middle of the pitch, midway up the stand, to get my preferred all round view of the game. Atmosphere is generally weak but decent at the bigger games when gangways G and H fill up. You'd get the fun of the nice man who sits further back and loves to shout abuse when things aren't going exactly to plan. Fortunately he's mostly silent when we're winning to give us a break. I don't often use the facilities at half-time but given people started leaving at the 35 minute mark last night, I'll take a guess and say not great.

The family stand has a sweet shop and does chips. They're probably shit though.

Had a good few seasons on there as the lad was little, it’s occupied mostly by them people who go on club travel have flasks and sandwiches packed for away days, it’s quiet as a mouse on the whole except for that lad on the half way line who shouts at the players ( used to under adkins and Clough anyway ) but the good points is there’s no drama under the stands no pyros and you’ll get a beer in the warm should you want one plus see the game in progress whilst you wait, also they don’t stand up and down all game so you’ll see the goals..

Top tip, sit at the screen end not too far forward though in case of poor weather, the players family’s are directly above you in the end box, they run there most times a goal is scored into that end.. be great for the kid that would.. and you can flick a few sneaky rods at the away fans..

Your welcome to join but don't expect me and my mates to share our blankets or flasks with you and don't wake us up by shouting when we score.;)

I was on the kop but moved to John Street.

For a start there’s a bit more leg room.

Secondly there’s a better view.

Thirdly there’s a better class of people. Less idiots. More family orientated.

Fourthly you can go and get a bit warmer under the stand at half time. Also we have televisions on!

It’s easier to get out too.

And you can hear the tannoy better.

The only negative I can think of is there’s not as much singing, the atmosphere isn’t as good. And the food is still ridiculously overpriced rubbish.

The beer - reasonable prices and tastes half decent.

Hope this helps you.

I've stood/sat on the kop since 1965. With increasing age and for a change I tried a season in the John Street stand. it was like being in church.
Didn't enjoy the experience at all, I missed the idiots and lower class people who shout, sing and yes, swear profusely, why cause I'm one of those lower types too.

Here's to 53 more seasons on the kop

I've stood/sat on the kop since 1965. With increasing age and for a change I tried a season in the John Street stand. it was like being in church.
Didn't enjoy the experience at all, I missed the idiots and lower class people who shout, sing and yes, swear profusely, why cause I'm one of those lower types too.

Here's to 53 more seasons on the kop
Haha me too, here's to us Jeremy Kyle types who enjoy an atmosphere.
I know what the kop is, we all do, but WOW I didn't know realise there was a class system.

We sit on the back row of the Fsmily Stand level with penalty spot at the kop end.

Best of both worlds.

Atmosphere from the kop but without the dickheads. Plus you can have a piss and beer at halftime and not miss kick off.

Not a bad view mostly although there are signs warning about restricted view in certain seats. Blut or Westfield corner is a brilliant stand from which to watch a game of footy. Unless the club still does the offers to students and like,£5 ticket, programme, pie , pint. I've had to shift them from the seat I've paid top dollar for.

Yeah went on the Westfield last few seasons, great view. Only downside then was having to listen to over-excited aways fans with summat to sing about sat in the BLUT when we were doing shit and getting turned over under the Nigels. That all changed when Wilder came in!

Fancied a change this season and moved to SS, but always though the pukka corner could be great if it were done like the Westfield - similar view etc but from the home end.

The South Stand is more expensive for a reason. Better view and facilities. No sun shining in your eyes. Less idiots swearing their heads off, standing up and going for a piss and a pie every 5 minutes.

If that’s important to you, pay a bit more.

If “Arr much???” is your mantra (as it is for most Sheffield folk) sit elsewhere.

Ive been in john street stand since 2002 when i had to swap sides when my grandad had to stop coming to games. So i have little knowledge of other stand from age 8 - 12. But like a few have said its not a rowdy stand, good for kids but id assume that any stand bar kop. Pre match the tv are great for watching football game beforehand & legroom i cant really compare its alright could do with few more inches. if your 6ft + its still going to be problematic

But few tips dont sit on the 1st 6 or 7 rows. As roof can be optical illusion. Lost count how many times on 3rd row ive got soaked despite sat under a roof. & yeah the no swearing is a rule that ive never seen enforced & i dont really notice any difference. But its football swearing is to be expected as emotions run high

I'd say Westfield corner is the best place in my opinion, that's where we go with the boys, brilliant view, 9 times out of 10 you always stay dry!, better leg room as your not sat directly behind the seat in front and I'm 6'1, you always get to the pisser easy, easy to get served at the "bar", and they've never run out of pies when we've been sitting there!

A friend of mine got a very angry telling off from a severely overweight lady for telling a QPR fan to fuck off on John St near the away end. He told her to fuck off as well, got kicked out and has a season long ban. Interesting stand, lacklustre atmosphere and a few mardy arses to top it all off. Not bad for the kids though. For fans? No.

Last edited:
I move around a lot and sit in most areas of the ground most seasons. Only place I’ve not been is pukka pie area.

Kop is obviously best for atmosphere and I love that moment you get to the top of the steps, and stand at the top of the kop gangway looking out to a full ground and the players ready for kick off. View of game isn’t great though.

South stand has great view (tend to sit near middle slightly towards away end). But concourse is always a crush and a few weeks ago was first time this season I couldn’t get a pie as they’d run out. Also you can’t get chips.

I like the view on Westfield and BLUT but in the past I’ve felt a bit remote from atmosphere up here - although that might be different this season with more people going up there with deliberate intention of singing etc.

John st. is best in my kids’ opinions: chips, sweet shop, face paint sometimes, more space in concourse, merch shop, plenty of tv screens, view is fine. However, you can get rained on if sitting on first 10 rows I’d say if wind is blowing wrong way. Not much singing though.

People swear all over the ground, but there’s less when not on Kop if that bothers you.

Only sat on lower tier of Bramall Lane once. Even that is a pretty good view.

Apart from the lack of facilities on kop and view that’s not brilliant, the rest of the stands are all good. It’s a good
ground!

I was a regular on the kop from when it was first built until 2015.

I used to love it on there, get involved in all the singing and everything else that used to crack off on there.

When Brownie Jnr first started coming, I began to experiment with different parts of the ground, and pretty soon I had taken him on all three sides and the Westfield upper.

When I bought his first season ticket in 2014/15, we went on the kop but often used to swap seats to the Westfield Upper, on the kop as it was a ball ache because as soon as anything of interest happened everyone stood up and I would have to pick him up so he could see as well. I was starting to get fed up with the kop, and found I enjoyed watching the match more from other stands because of the superior view.

In the summer of 2015 I decided to switch stands, I didn’t fancy the John Street stand due to the low sun, and just couldn’t get on with it, so I switched to the South Stand and have found that it is still just as good for Brownie Jnr with the excellent view we have now from our seats. Just off the hallway line on Gangway F, two thirds of the way back. I also found that the move gave me and LS26BLADE a lot of enthusiasm back, with the superior view as well.

Back
Top Bottom