Basham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wasn’t his first error nor will it be his last I imagine. Problem is we could get away with them before! Elite level now. I love Bash but he was my main worry throughout the summer, replaced in January I reckon.

Wasn’t his first error nor will it be his last I imagine. Problem is we could get away with them before! Elite level now. I love Bash but he was my main worry throughout the summer, replaced in January I reckon.
Likewise. He had some real competition in Cranie last year now he has none (Jags will be a better defender of course but we’ll lose something going forward). It’s why I was so disappointed we never got Chambers from Arsenal.

Last time I looked football was played by human being, ergo mistakes will be made by every player on the pitch, some will be punished, some not. On the whole our players have so far risen to every challenge on our way to the top division, turning that round a little I wonder if some of our fans should be told to go & support a club in a lower league, after all judging by some comments here they are obviously not Premier League quality fans & have taken us as far as they can. :rolleyes:

Watched it back on MOTD now and I retract any blame for team mates given the positions they were in. It was a sudden decision from Basham and they didn't have time to move into positions to receive the pass. So it was quite a gamble from Basham. If it paid off we could've had a good overload opportunity down the left, but it didn't quite open up as he might have expected.

I also didn't realise before how good Maddison's pass was - absolutely top class to dig that out with such perfect accuracy.

I came out absolutely distraught after the last defeat (Bristol City) But yesterday was totally different losing to a worldie (there’s no way that header by the Turkish guy was meant to go to Barnes) .Baldock nearly scored a similar goal earlier.Still optimistic we will have no problem this season CW obviously unsure of his best 11.

Also as much as it pains me to say it, Vardy won't miss chances like that. A lesser player might, and Basham's mistake is then forgotten. He'll learn and become a better player for it.

This

That goal sums it up. Ball given away in centre circle. Pass into vardy is hit early and accurately, Vardy does what vardy does. It is highly unlikey that goal would have been scored last season.

We have to carry on getting better to survive in this league. today was a bit of a wake up call all around on what the standard is
And Wilder said as much in vhis post match interview.
He has driven standards up ever since he became boss ,
There will be casualties along the way,that's all part of the progression without picking out individuals just yet.
Norwood has ended his international career as he knows he is under pressure to maintain a level of performance needed to keep his place and didnt have the best of games yesterday.
We will have games like that when quality beats us but we have raised the bar and Wilder will drive it forward.

I've not watched it back, but I was willing him to pass it off.. It seems like 9 times out of 10 he gives the ball away when he dwells on it to long, and running across the pitch like that made me nervous...and as soon as Vardy got the ball in that position,you knew it would be a goal... I thought he could have passed it off earlier at the time, but everyone makes mistakes,and he's been decent in the first 2 games...I do think we'll need better further down the line,but it's finding someone who's as athletic as Bash,but better on the ball.

I've not watched it back, but I was willing him to pass it off.. It seems like 9 times out of 10 he gives the ball away when he dwells on it to long, and running across the pitch like that made me nervous...and as soon as Vardy got the ball in that position,you knew it would be a goal... I thought he could have passed it off earlier at the time, but everyone makes mistakes,and he's been decent in the first 2 games...I do think we'll need better further down the line,but it's finding someone who's as athletic as Bash,but better on the ball.
That I do agree with. He’s tough to replace, Callum Chambers would’ve been perfect.

It would be a weaker team without Basham
Which for me shows 1 (maybe the only) error with our recruitment this summer. It’s the one thing we lack imo, we didn’t really replace Cranie who was often preferred to Bash after Christmas last season.

hi new member here just want to say basham wasn't the only one with a mistake in him yesterday Norwood in the first haif gave it away at least 3 times in quick succession it didn't lead to a goal but it was there to see .

hi new member here just want to say basham wasn't the only one with a mistake in him yesterday Norwood in the first haif gave it away at least 3 times in quick succession it didn't lead to a goal but it was there to see .

Norwood has started sloppily in every game and grown into it. Yesterday was no different. Has to fix that.

Which for me shows 1 (maybe the only) error with our recruitment this summer. It’s the one thing we lack imo, we didn’t really replace Cranie who was often preferred to Bash after Christmas last season.
You watch after yesterday’s game Bash will be stronger and one to look to for inspiration

Blimey.

Normally, I'm the negative one on here.

Bash has improved incredibly since he came to us and looked like Bambi on ice. He was, frankly, shit-on-toast.

Can we just cast our minds back a few months, to the Leeds game, for example? Good.

Now, Basham's excursion into midfield came about because all his passing avenues had been closed off. Premier League teams do that. It's called 'pressing'. Unfortunately, three seconds before he lost the ball, he should have been finding someone with a pass. The option was to carry, and it took him well away from his zone, and from Vardy. We need to look at the actions of the other five or six players around him because no one seemed to be moving to give him options and they all looked panicked. He was robbed of the ball (he isn't fleet footed, like Freeman L) and the rest is history. Vardy gets a ball into a now vacant space and Vardy did what Vardy always does, and finds the net.

If Basham does that next week, and the week after, we have problems. I bet you he doesn't. Wilder and Knill will instruct him not to get too ambitious (because Chelsea will do the same to him) and the rest of the team will learn to give options. This season is a learning process. Vardy's goal was, as far as I can see, Lesson 1. Three games in, and that to me is pretty good going. Speak to the teams at the bottom about their lessons.

You can't learn anything from Leicester's other goal. We all recall Woodward hitting similar shots which almost tore the fucking net out. If you're gonna lose a game, it's to a goal like that, like Hopkins's at Wembley. It was very similar in structure to Browny's against the filth.

Well done Blades. Good effort. Onwards.

pommpey

Blimey.

Bash has improved incredibly since he came to us and looked like Bambi on ice. He was, frankly, shit-on-toast.

Can we just cast our minds back a few months, to the Leeds game, for example? Good.

Now, Basham's excursion into midfield came about because all his passing avenues had been closed off. Premier League teams do that. It's called 'pressing'. Unfortunately, three seconds before he lost the ball, he should have been finding someone with a pass. The option was to carry, and it took him well away from his zone, and from Vardy. We need to look at the actions of the other five or six players around him because no one seemed to be moving to give him options and they all looked panicked. He was robbed of the ball (he isn't fleet footed, like Freeman L) and the rest is history. Vardy gets a ball into a now vacant space and Vardy did what Vardy always does, and finds the net.

If Basham does that next week, and the week after, we have problems. I bet you he doesn't. Wilder and Knill will instruct him not to get too ambitious (because Chelsea will do the same to him) and the rest of the team will learn to give options. This season is a learning process. Vardy's goal was, as far as I can see, Lesson 1. Three games in, and that tto me is pretty good going. Speak to the teams at the bottom about their lessons.

You can't learn anything from Leicester's other goal. We all recall Woodward hitting similar shots which almost tore the net out. If you're gonna lost a game, it's to a goal like that, like Hopkins's at Wembley.

pommpey

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

End of thread 👏

Blimey.

If Basham does that next week, and the week after, we have problems. I bet you he doesn't. Wilder and Knill will instruct him not to get too ambitious (because Chelsea will do the same to him) and the rest of the team will learn to give options. This season is a learning process. Vardy's goal was, as far as I can see, Lesson 1. Three games in, and that to me is pretty good going. Speak to the teams at the bottom about their lessons.

You can't learn anything from Leicester's other goal. We all recall Woodward hitting similar shots which almost tore the fucking net out. If you're gonna lose a game, it's to a goal like that, like Hopkins's at Wembley. It was very similar in structure to Browny's against the filth.

pommpey
I agree with a lot of that, and as I’ve said I do like him. But he is the weakest of the back 3, and arguably the whole back 5.

Cranie was often preferred last season as I’ve said a few times on this thread. In the championship. He’s now playing for Luton and we have no like for like competition for Bash in my opinion. Jags is very different and we’ll not have that attacking edge that Basham gives us despite him being a better defender.

But Robinson didn’t know that and was trying his best to score but failed.
I think you’ve misinterpreted my original point. It was a sarcastic post to emphasise the OPs call for Basham to be dropped after one mistake
Brilliant.

It’s not because of one mistake. It’s that I (and obviously a few others) think he’s the weakest of the back 3. I don’t think that’s news.

It is without doubt that it was Basham's error that lead up to the first goal. He went on a aimless foray across the pitch, got mugged off the ball and it found its way to Vardy via a superb defence splitting pass from Maddison.

I think we all know he cocked up, he will know it himself, but during the time of his 250 odd games for United he will inevitably make the odd error, every player does it. From a player like Bash I think we can forgive the odd mistake, because he deserves great credit for everything he has done at the Lane. I think Bash performs a key role in the side and is integral to a lot of the good stuff we do, and for one I can easily back him to bounce back from this with a series of decent performances and I'm a couple of weeks yesterdays mistake will all be forgotten about.

Brilliant.

It’s not because of one mistake. It’s that I (and obviously a few others) think he’s the weakest of the back 3. I don’t think that’s news.
No shit.

Unfortunately we’re not in a position where we have loads of other options to replace him with. Unless we completely change formations he’s the best we have for the RCB.

For me, bad mistake but hes earnt the right to have a bit of slack cut.

Learning curve for a lot of our lads and mistakes are going to be made in a league that often punishes such things harshly.

Genuinely hope that I’m wrong but concerned about Bash too. Mind you, I said same after Cardiff away in Championship so he’s got time yet for me. Thing is, Wilder et al need to be looking early as that position, in our system, is not one you can buy a ready-made replacement. For that reason, we’ve got to keep supporting Bash and hopefully he proves us wrong again.

I agree with a lot of that, and as I’ve said I do like him. But he is the weakest of the back 3, and arguably the whole back 5.

Cranie was often preferred last season as I’ve said a few times on this thread. In the championship. He’s now playing for Luton and we have no like for like competition for Bash in my opinion. Jags is very different and we’ll not have that attacking edge that Basham gives us despite him being a better defender.

‘Often’ is a major overstatement. There was only two games last season where Cranie was selected to play when Basham was available. The rest of the time they either played together or Basham wasn’t available.

Back
Top Bottom