Arthur Bottom.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Big Hitter

Reaction score
Anybody ( old timers alert) remember Arthur 1947-54, brilliant ball player, never quite fulfilled his potential with us but I made him my hero back then. he played in a striker role when he got a game and once scored 5 goals in consecutive games [ 1953 Jan 10th v Newport FA Cup. 4-1 Bottom 2 and Jan 17th v Plymouth 5-0 Bottom3 ] . Probably got dropped after that knowing our team selection policies.! Could do with a striker like that now.!

Anybody ( old timers alert) remember Arthur 1947-54, brilliant ball player, never quite fulfilled his potential with us but I made him my hero back then. he played in a striker role when he got a game and once scored 5 goals in consecutive games [ 1953 Jan 10th v Newport FA Cup. 4-1 Bottom 2 and Jan 17th v Plymouth 5-0 Bottom3 ] . Probably got dropped after that knowing our team selection policies.! Could do with a striker like that now.!
That's not scoring 5 goals in consecutive games, that's scoring 2 goals in one and 3 in another , scoring 5 goals in each game consecutively would be scoring 5 goals in consecutive games,

That's not scoring 5 goals in consecutive games, that's scoring 2 goals in one and 3 in another , scoring 5 goals in each game consecutively would be scoring 5 goals in consecutive games,
Not so.
In consecutive games he scored a total of 5 goals.
As is often the case it depends on interpretation.
Some interpret one point from 12 games as being poor !!

Yes, Big Hitter, I remember him well. He was an aggressive centre forward and, in those days, "bustling" was a word often used to describe him. He was more of a reserve player for us, making only 24 appearances , in 6 years, with 7 goals. Would walk into our team today. The competition, up front, in the late forties- early fifties included such as Jimmy Hagan, Harold Brook, Albert Nightingale and Fred Smith which explains his limited appearances. From memory he put himself about, was whole hearted and had a powerful shot. After he was transferred to York City he became a legend there scoring 92 goals in his 4 years in around 130 games. Some record.
In line with the comments above , I was amused, as a young kid, by a loud supporter bawling , "Gerr off thee arse , Bottom,"after he fell down and missed a sitter , in front of The Kop.
He died, back in Sheffield ,about 8 years ago.

Sounds a bit half-arsed to me.
The cheek of it. 🙄
Those comments cheer me up no end. I was 7 years old when he left United, and my only reason for liking him was that it gave me the opportunity to say a rude word regularly. Turns out I was behaving in a grown-up way.😂

Bustling, grafter, full of grit sold to a 4th Division team
Nowt much changes does it

Not so.
In consecutive games he scored a total of 5 goals.
As is often the case it depends on interpretation.
Some interpret one point from 12 games as being poor !!
Yes in consecutive games he scored a total of 5 goals Im not in disagreement with that , but what you said was he scored 5 goals in consecutive games he didn't because, that would be 10 goals in 2 matches ,

I remember him. Hardly a 'brilliant ball player' - more like a willing cart horse.

I remember one lad in the crowd shouting at him: "Arfur Bottom? More like arf a tea cake". Such was the standard of abuse in those days.

Yes in consecutive games he scored a total of 5 goals Im not in disagreement with that , but what you said was he scored 5 goals in consecutive games he didn't because, that would be 10 goals in 2 matches ,
Bit Pedantic

Yes, Big Hitter, I remember him well. He was an aggressive centre forward and, in those days, "bustling" was a word often used to describe him. He was more of a reserve player for us, making only 24 appearances , in 6 years, with 7 goals. Would walk into our team today. The competition, up front, in the late forties- early fifties included such as Jimmy Hagan, Harold Brook, Albert Nightingale and Fred Smith which explains his limited appearances. From memory he put himself about, was whole hearted and had a powerful shot. After he was transferred to York City he became a legend there scoring 92 goals in his 4 years in around 130 games. Some record.
In line with the comments above , I was amused, as a young kid, by a loud supporter bawling , "Gerr off thee arse , Bottom,"after he fell down and missed a sitter , in front of The Kop.
He died, back in Sheffield ,about 8 years ago.
Out of the differing descriptions of Arthur in this thread I recognise yours as being the most accurate, 'Bustling' was the word that came to mind when I first saw the thread. Fond memories, even if there were a few groans on the Terrace when it was announced he would play. Moans not so much at Arthur playing but disappointment that the other player wasn't playing. There was no doubt his approach to the game was, as you say, 'whole hearted' which did endear him to the fans, and I never thought he gave less than his best. He was a character.
Swillsborough, and don't it look it ☺️, FACSF 1955, Arthur No. 8., Newcastle Utd V York City 1-11955 FACSF Newcastle Utd V York City Hillsborough 1-1.jpg

Out of the differing descriptions of Arthur in this thread I recognise yours as being the most accurate, 'Bustling' was the word that came to mind when I first saw the thread. Fond memories, even if there were a few groans on the Terrace when it was announced he would play. Moans not so much at Arthur playing but disappointment that the other player wasn't playing. There was no doubt his approach to the game was, as you say, 'whole hearted' which did endear him to the fans, and I never thought he gave less than his best. He was a character.
Swillsborough, and don't it look it ☺️, FACSF 1955, Arthur No. 8., Newcastle Utd V York City 1-1View attachment 100669
Brilliant. Just look at that pitch surface.!! Back to Mr Bottom, some goal scoring record that at York, admittedly in a low Division but still not bad.

Swillsborough, and don't it look it ☺️, FACSF 1955, Arthur No. 8., Newcastle Utd V York City 1-1View attachment 100669

that must be his goal. They lost the replay 2-0. Arthur scored 8 goals in the FA Cup that season, including the winner in the last 8. York were in division 3 North.

My dad was a Chesterfield fan and was thrilled when Arthur signed for Town from Newcastle, but he didn't stay thrilled for long.

My dad was a Chesterfield fan and was thrilled when Arthur signed for Town from Newcastle, but he didn't stay thrilled for long.
Well, in 33 appearances for Chesterfield he scored 6, not outstanding I agree, but I would be happy if we get two of our strikers both reaching that strike rate this season.

that must be his goal. They lost the replay 2-0. Arthur scored 8 goals in the FA Cup that season, including the winner in the last 8. York were in division 3 North.
Your comments reminded me of the system that was used to give information to the crowd before we had such things as tannoy loudspeakers and electronic scoreboards etc. Two blokes used to push a trolley round the perimeter of the pitch with the team changes ( i.e. those different from the programme) written on a slate board. You could hear the reaction from the crowd as it came round signifying the pleasure or not, of the team changes.!

Copying my own post, but outside of football my Dad and Granddad both knew Arthur.

Arthur and my Dad both worked for my Granddad's cutlery firm on Arundel Street in the 70’s and he was saying how lovely he was, he used to solder handles onto the knives, apparently had a lovely singing voice and was fed up of football and would only talk about fishing.

He used to work on a machine underneath a small hole in the ceiling which a bloke called Harry who worked upstairs would often sweep all the dust down much to Arthur's displeasure.

He drove a Ford Prefect at the time and one was once dumped outside the factory, Arthur saw it, noted it had better seats in it than his and spent a couple of hours taking the seats out of it, putting them in his and cobbing his in the skip.

If he was around these days would cost at least a million. Maybe even more if we got a bum deal.

Copying my own post, but outside of football my Dad and Granddad both knew Arthur.

Arthur and my Dad both worked for my Granddad's cutlery firm on Arundel Street in the 70’s and he was saying how lovely he was, he used to solder handles onto the knives, apparently had a lovely singing voice and was fed up of football and would only talk about fishing.

He used to work on a machine underneath a small hole in the ceiling which a bloke called Harry who worked upstairs would often sweep all the dust down much to Arthur's displeasure.

He drove a Ford Prefect at the time and one was once dumped outside the factory, Arthur saw it, noted it had better seats in it than his and spent a couple of hours taking the seats out of it, putting them in his and cobbing his in the skip.
Real shame Arthur was reluctant to talk about football after all I believe he scored for York City in the 1955 FA cup semi final against Newcastle, and had the ball in the net late on to only be disallowed that could have took them to Wembley. York beat Blackpool away, Matthews and all, and Spurs at home on the way

Back
Top Bottom