Match Thread Arsenal v. Sheffield United - 18th Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ARS
ARS
ARS

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin

1579086703381.png v. 1579086712667.png
EPL Week 23 - Saturday 18th January 2020 - Emirates Stadium

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/arsenal-vs-sheffield-united.487/

Officials:

Referee:
Mike Dean
Assistant Referee: Ian Hussin
Assistant Referee: Dan Robathan
Fourth Official: Lee Mason
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Sian Massey-Ellis

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 11.13.42.png

Away Fans Guide:

Attachments

• gun__1474964744_405960_AFC_Visiting_Supporters.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Surely we'll have at least one big away win this season.... 👀 👀

Reactions: Dkc
Surely we'll have at least one big away win this season.... 👀 👀
This would be a decent away win against a mid-table outfit. The league table is the ultimate meritocracy and we are 4 places and 4 points above them on merit. We are a better team than Arsenal, we beat them deservedly at home and have played better football than them throughout the season. 'Tis time, my fellow Blades, to cast off the cloak of mediocracy. We're going places.

If being honest I'd love to win at Arsenal on Saturday, they are a club that's never sat well with me arrogant club arrogant fans. They feel as though they have a divine right to win things and they don't but I suppose that's the arrogance in them.

Where is everyone drinking?

One of the boozers.

If being honest I'd love to win at Arsenal on Saturday, they are a club that's never sat well with me arrogant club arrogant fans. They feel as though they have a divine right to win things and they don't but I suppose that's the arrogance in them.

I've had a soft spot for them since 93. The pigs losing out both cups to them (plus the match that had to be replayed) was glorious.

They also spent a long time playing some of the best football you could watch, and signing some of the most exciting foreign players to have played in the Premier League (back before every team was doing it).

That said, that Arsenal TV thing does them no favours.

Pubs are discussed on the tickets and travel thread.

If we can grab the first goal, the crowd at the Emirates can get a bit restless, which would help.

OK Wenger lost his magic touch towards the end but in hindsight they'd probably have been better off honouring the final year of his contract. They've been even shitter since he departed.

OK Wenger lost his magic touch towards the end but in hindsight they'd probably have been better off honouring the final year of his contract. They've been even shitter since he departed.
I know a lot of Arsenal fans. The problem with Wenger is they didn't get rid of him earlier. All subsequent teams have the 'Wenger stamp'. Shaky defence, questionable temperment, lacking backbone, play well on the counter attack, skillful, flair but collapse like a pack of cards when the pressure's on. I don't think Arteta's going to make much difference.

Its been a very long time since United have had a win at a top side. In fact it's never really happened in my lifetime...save for maybe Liverpool in 1994.

I suppose what I mean by that is the top 5 or 6 big clubs at the time/previous season. So it would be Liverpool, City, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal from last season.

This season we have done fantastic away but not had the eye popping win yet. We have just Arsenal/Man Utd left of above...not sure winning at Leicester would have the same gravitas (Southampton just won there).

We won at Everton but they are no great shakes despite being a big club. We had some great results at Everton and Spurs but did not win.

The last time we were in the Prem we beat Wigan, Watford, Newcastle and was that it? None of those were much cop.

The previous 4 year era in the early 90s...We beat Liverpool but they were at the lowest ebb (that's probably the biggest club we have beat way in my lifetime though) when we went down. Liverpool finished 8th that year and 6th year before.

We also beat Chelsea a few years earlier (1992) but this was in a ramshackle Stamford Bridge pre Abramovic days. They were nowhere near competing at the up. The win at our city neighbours (Davison) when they were 3rd was one of the biggest scalps we have maybe seen.

I can't recall us even drawing at Man Utd or Arsenal in the league (got 2 draws in the cups) in my life. As an aside I have never see us score a goal in Manchester in 35+ years of going missing a game where Franz Carr scored in a defeat at Old Trafford amd I did not go to any games where we scored at City (Brian Gayle scored 2 in a defeat). We did score 2 in a league cup defeat in 1988 and I think also won a game in the mid 80s?

In short it's about team we beat a really big club away from home!

I actually fancy us more at Man Utd than Arsenal this year but we need to go there and replicate our performance at Spurs...that was our best away performance of the season where we dominated for large parts and should have won.

Aren’t Arsenal 10th? Don’t want to be billy big bollocks but I can definitely see us getting a positive result.

Added the official Arsenal Away fans guide to original post.

This was at home, but a good win nevertheless. I was in the army and listened on BBC radio 5 on MW:

You used to be able to pick up Radio 5 all over Europe on medium wave. I listened to an FA Cup quarter final (I think against Blackburn, won on pens) around about 1992 in Liberec, Czech Republic, on a normal radio.

Poor Albere'

Can't help think his demise has been noted in North London and there will be reprisals at the turnstiles.

HH

You wonder whether we’re in for something special to mark Mike Dean’s 500th match. He of course reffed the Arsenal game at the Lane this season, and it does feel like we’re due some sort of Dean injustice – it’s been 11 years now since the derby where Kilgallon was harshly given a straight red, and the playoff final where Walker was hacked down in the box without a penalty given, and Ward & Hendrie were red carded late on.

Dean’s first game at the Lane was the Liverpool semi where Tonge turned the tie around with his second half brace.

My lad has been to the following away games -
Fleetwood 2-2 D
Forest 2-1 L
Derby 2-1 L
Chelsea 2-2 D
Wolves 1-1 D
Liverpool 2-0 L

Not one single win (although he claims wins over Stocksbridge Park Steels and Hallam count), he has a ticket for Arsenal and I think he might break his duck.

Back
Top Bottom