50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

25/1/1971

As I said in my previous post that there was big news for both clubs in the next few days. On 25/1/1971 Wendy announced that they had appointed Derek Dooley to be their new manager. I first got to know about Derek when my dad spotted him in the John Street directors box after we had beaten L**ds in the League Cup four months earlier and told me to get his autograph. Derek was happy to sign my programme despite that I had no idea who he was. Coming back to my dad, he explained to me that Derek scored a lot of goals for Wendy but he lost his leg and that ended his playing days. Fast forward 4 months later on the day after Derek became Wendy's new manager, a teacher (Ted Kent who was a well known Sheffield hockey player) at my school (Maud Maxfield) asked me over to his classroom to have a chat about football. He wanted to talk about Derek to me. He explained to me that Derek had broken his leg after clashing with Preston's keeper George Thompson at Deepdale in 1953 and then the doctors at Preston hospital decided to amputate his left leg.

The big news at Bramall Lane later that week will be revealed in my next post...

View attachment 103857

View attachment 103859
View attachment 103860

I still have Derek dooley testimonial programme signed by him

6/2/1971

Blades 2 (Woodward 2) Luton 1 (Jimmy Ryan)

I was expecting to watch the match from the BLUT but ended up watching the match from the John Street Stand West Wing (which was closed for safety reasons a few years later). The West wing is on the left of the below photo and it probably had the worst seats in the ground. Think all the seats in the BLUT were taken up by the time my dad and I arrived at the ground so we went to the JSS instead. I think we may have missed the kick off as I do not remember much about the 1st half.

LutonJSS.jpg

1st half action

LutonReece.jpg
LutonRead.jpg
LutonCurrie.png

Early in the second half Woody ran in front of Chris Nicholl to meet Reece's cross to put us into the lead. On the YTV highlights in the next day the camera was unable to show Woody's first goal because for some reason the camera went out of focus as it swung to the left just after Reece crossed the ball and then when it was panned back to the goal at the Lane end, the ball was already in the net

LutonWoody1.jpg

LutonWoody2.jpg

The 2nd goal was spectacular as I was right in line behind the corner Woody took, after he crossed the ball, my eyes were were focused on the ball and the goalmouth action and TC crossed the ball from the left, I hadnt really expected Woody to sprint towards the goalmouth and volleying in TC's cross. This time the TV camera had footage of the 2nd goal (4 mins 33 secs in below video)

Jimmy Ryan pulled back a goal for Luton, and then we had a great chance to go 3-1 up after Woody got tripped in the box after a solo run

Lutonpenalty.jpg

I wasnt aware of John Hope looking away from watching TC's spot kick until I saw the below photo in the next match's programme.

LutonHope.jpg

TC was our penalty taker at the time but crashed his effort against the bar and the Luton players managed to clear away the rebound.

Some years later my dad recalled that Luton's Malcolm MacDonald was blabbing out in the papers early in the week saying that he found it easy to score against the 2nd division centre halves. Throughout the match Eddie Colquhoun had MacDonald in his pocket. After the final whistle Eddie sarcastically slow hand clapped MacDonald off the pitch and many in the crowd loved it!

We reached the top spot for the first time in the season!

LutonGreenUnheadline.jpg

LutonGreenUn1.jpg
LutonGreenUn2.jpgLutonGreenUn3.jpg

LutonGreenUn4.jpg
LutonGreenUn5.jpg
LutonGreenUn6.jpg
LutonCooper1 (2).jpg
LutonCooper1.jpg

LutonMacklin.jpg
1612569481387.png
1612569525345.png

Attachments

• LutonGreenUn5.jpg
    LutonGreenUn5.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 7
  • LutonMacklin.jpg
    LutonMacklin.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I was sat in the John Street stand with my dad that day too and my abiding memory is watching a ball boy refuse to give the ball back to Malcolm McDonald, as McDonald walked towards him he threw it over McDonald’s head and into John Hopes hands. Hope was laughing and the Kop were taking the piss out of McDonald who then started ranting at the ref. At the final whistle my dad told me this was our year.

yeah remember big mouth macdonald spouting in the press that week what he was going to do to us and he never got a kick was a great win following on from our win at oxford

6/2/1971

Blades 2 (Woodward 2) Luton 1 (Jimmy Ryan)

I was expecting to watch the match from the BLUT but ended up watching the match from the John Street Stand West Wing (which was closed for safety reasons a few years later). The West wing is on the left of the below photo and it probably had the worst seats in the ground. Think all the seats in the BLUT were taken up by the time my dad and I arrived at the ground so we went to the JSS instead. I think we may have missed the kick off as I do not remember much about the 1st half.

View attachment 104806

1st half action

View attachment 104807
View attachment 104808
View attachment 104809

Early in the second half Woody ran in front of Chris Nicholl to meet Reece's cross to put us into the lead. On the YTV highlights in the next day the camera was unable to show Woody's first goal because for some reason the camera went out of focus as it swung to the left just after Reece crossed the ball and then when it was panned back to the goal at the Lane end, the ball was already in the net

View attachment 104810

View attachment 104811

The 2nd goal was spectacular as I was right in line behind the corner Woody took, after he crossed the ball, my eyes were were focused on the ball and the goalmouth action and TC crossed the ball from the left, I hadnt really expected Woody to sprint towards the goalmouth and volleying in TC's cross. This time the TV camera had footage of the 2nd goal (4 mins 33 secs in below video)

Jimmy Ryan pulled back a goal for Luton, and then we had a great chance to go 3-1 up after Woody got tripped in the box after a solo run

View attachment 104812

I wasnt aware of John Hope looking away from watching TC's spot kick until I saw the below photo in the next match's programme.

View attachment 104813

TC was our penalty taker at the time but crashed his effort against the bar and the Luton players managed to clear away the rebound.

Some years later my dad recalled that Luton's Malcolm MacDonald was blabbing out in the papers early in the week saying that he found it easy to score against the 2nd division centre halves. Throughout the match Eddie Colquhoun had MacDonald in his pocket. After the final whistle Eddie sarcastically slow hand clapped MacDonald off the pitch and many in the crowd loved it!

We reached the top spot for the first time in the season!

View attachment 104814

View attachment 104815
View attachment 104816View attachment 104817

View attachment 104821
View attachment 104823
View attachment 104822
View attachment 104826
View attachment 104824

View attachment 104827
View attachment 104829
View attachment 104830

That has saved me a job in the 60 Years Ago thread. First home match in February 1961 was v Luton - exactly the same score! Beating Luton at home 2-1 in February appears to guarantee promotion...

That has saved me a job in the 60 Years Ago thread. First home match in February 1961 was v Luton - exactly the same score! Beating Luton at home 2-1 in February appears to guarantee promotion...
when are we starting a 40 years ago thread bert hodgy silent could be interesting coming up to don givens day and darlington next year ?

when are we starting a 40 years ago thread bert hodgy silent could be interesting coming up to don givens day and darlington next year ?
A good idea, but I would not be the right person to sort it. By then I was still a regular at the Lane, but had stopped going to away matches. I took my 2 young kids to matches (remarkably, given the decline of the Blades, they are still passionate fans), but I did not enjoy much of the football experience in the 80s. Particularly with young kids, and being a coward myself, I was always aware of making sure we were well away from trouble-makers, and being penned in behind fences was not fun, even before the Hillsborough disaster brought home how dangerous the grounds were. The Bradford fire revealed another aspect of the dangerous decay of stadiums. I don’t look back on the period fondly, and having loved taking grandkids to the Lane in recent years, I feel rather cheated that the experience with my own kids was coloured by the problems of the 80s. But there are great footballing experiences to be recalled (Morris and Edwards immediately come to mind).

A good idea, but I would not be the right person to sort it. By then I was still a regular at the Lane, but had stopped going to away matches. I took my 2 young kids to matches (remarkably, given the decline of the Blades, they are still passionate fans), but I did not enjoy much of the football experience in the 80s. Particularly with young kids, and being a coward myself, I was always aware of making sure we were well away from trouble-makers, and being penned in behind fences was not fun, even before the Hillsborough disaster brought home how dangerous the grounds were. The Bradford fire revealed another aspect of the dangerous decay of stadiums. I don’t look back on the period fondly, and having loved taking grandkids to the Lane in recent years, I feel rather cheated that the experience with my own kids was coloured by the problems of the 80s. But there are great footballing experiences to be recalled (Morris and Edwards immediately come to mind).
I was a regular for home matches and most away matches between Jan 1970 and May 1973. During my boarding school years (1973 to 1979) I would go to home games and most away games only during school holidays or if I am home for the weekend. Between 1979 and 1987 I was a part timer due to playing football on most Saturdays.

I was a regular for home matches and most away matches between Jan 1970 and May 1973. During my boarding school years (1973 to 1979) I would go to home games and most away games only during school holidays or if I am home for the weekend. Between 1979 and 1987 I was a part timer due to playing football on most Saturdays.
As I said in an earlier post, I started going to the Lane in 1970. My father took me & as a keen 7 year old I wanted to go to all the games I could but with the increase of trouble at games at that time he thought it wasn’t the best environment for a young kid, so my opportunities were limited until I started going on my own / with mates in 1976.
When he did take me we used to go on the Bramall Lane lower tier which I think had started to be segregated for away fans but it was where he stood when he went more regularly in the 40’s & 50’s. I remember being on there for games against Newcastle & Leeds, he used to put me at the front (like most kids) & he would stand further back. As he had done years before he would start a friendly conversation with people around him but he didn’t realise how things had changed & he got abuse

As I said in an earlier post, I started going to the Lane in 1970. My father took me & as a keen 7 year old I wanted to go to all the games I could but with the increase of trouble at games at that time he thought it wasn’t the best environment for a young kid, so my opportunities were limited until I started going on my own / with mates in 1976.
When he did take me we used to go on the Bramall Lane lower tier which I think had started to be segregated for away fans but it was where he stood when he went more regularly in the 40’s & 50’s. I remember being on there for games against Newcastle & Leeds, he used to put me at the front (like most kids) & he would stand further back. As he had done years before he would start a friendly conversation with people around him but he didn’t realise how things had changed & he got grief & abuse.
He should have taken me in to other parts of the ground, you know, with the Blades fans😀

I was sat in the John Street stand with my dad that day too and my abiding memory is watching a ball boy refuse to give the ball back to Malcolm McDonald, as McDonald walked towards him he threw it over McDonald’s head and into John Hopes hands. Hope was laughing and the Kop were taking the piss out of McDonald who then started ranting at the ref. At the final whistle my dad told me this was our year.

He was always a lippy f***er MacDonald. I've just looked on his Wiki page and he was born only 6 days after our own Tony Currie, and they both weren't a million miles apart TC at Edgware and MacDonald at Fulham. He was eventually to rip us apart a few years later in the FA cup, wasn't big Ed the one who was mouthing before that game, saying he'd have him in his pocket (I think he'd done it quite regularly over the years but age must have caught up with him that day).

He was always a lippy f***er MacDonald. I've just looked on his Wiki page and he was born only 6 days after our own Tony Currie, and they both weren't a million miles apart TC at Edgware and MacDonald at Fulham. He was eventually to rip us apart a few years later in the FA cup, wasn't big Ed the one who was mouthing before that game, saying he'd have him in his pocket (I think he'd done it quite regularly over the years but age must have caught up with him that day).
I was at that Arsenal cup game, this time on the South Stand near the Arsenal fans. MacDonald played very well that day & I remember one bullet header, think it was all over at half time!
We looked shell shocked that day & I’m sure followed it up with the next two games having 5 scored against us in the league.

A mate of mine told me a story that he was drinking in the penny black & TC & Macdonald were amongst some other players that were also there & that they seemed to be good mates.
My mate said he bought Macdonald a drink & he told him off saying that he shouldn’t have because fans pay his wages.

I was at that Arsenal cup game, this time on the South Stand near the Arsenal fans. MacDonald played very well that day & I remember one bullet header, think it was all over at half time!
We looked shell shocked that day & I’m sure followed it up with the next two games having 5 scored against us in the league.

We did indeed versus Bolton at home and Sunderland away. The Mackems must have loved us in those days, they thrashed us the season after 6-2 as well.

I think after the three heavy defeats old Cec Coldwell was relieved of his temporary managerial role, shame really because they'd had a fairly decent run since he'd taken over (from Squirrel when I think we were in the bottom 3). We'd beaten Cardiff 6-1 away and the game before Arsenal was an excellent comeback 2-2 draw v Spurs at the Lane.

Then of course Sloppy Harry took over and the rest as they say is history!!!

i was on the kop might be wrong but think we were 4 down after only 18 minutes know there were about a dozen arsenal fans right in the middle of our fans behind goal on kop led by the biggest black guy i had seen and kept quiet till teams came out started chanting arsenal and were immediatly flattened by blades and led away by police

i was on the kop might be wrong but think we were 4 down after only 18 minutes know there were about a dozen arsenal fans right in the middle of our fans behind goal on kop led by the biggest black guy i had seen and kept quiet till teams came out started chanting arsenal and were immediatly flattened by blades and led away by police
Bert remembers that. They got exactly what they deserved.
It was the only highpoint of the day.

We did indeed versus Bolton at home and Sunderland away. The Mackems must have loved us in those days, they thrashed us the season after 6-2 as well.

I think after the three heavy defeats old Cec Coldwell was relieved of his temporary managerial role, shame really because they'd had a fairly decent run since he'd taken over (from Squirrel when I think we were in the bottom 3). We'd beaten Cardiff 6-1 away and the game before Arsenal was an excellent comeback 2-2 draw v Spurs at the Lane.

Then of course Sloppy Harry took over and the rest as they say is history!!!
Yes, Owls fans at school joked that United had a new phone number, 051550, gits!
I was on a trip with Heeley Angling Club the day after we won 6-1 at Cardiff & must have read the match reports in the Sunday papers all the way to Lincolnshire.

Yes, Owls fans at school joked that United had a new phone number, 051550, gits!
I was on a trip with Heeley Angling Club the day after we won 6-1 at Cardiff & must have read the match reports in the Sunday papers all the way to Lincolnshire.

The other one doing the rounds, was the brand of United cigs 555.

The Cardiff one I remember being at Stradbroke community centre for a Christmas fair when I heard the result and couldn't believe we'd scored 6 let alone 6 away from home!

Bert remembers that. They got exactly what they deserved.
It was the only highpoint of the day.
in steve cowens book he mentions having a run in with arsenal fans outside the pump tavern and mentions their leader being a giant guy in a black crombie called dalton think that must have been him in middle of our kop that day

13/2/1971

Charlton 0 Blades 2 (Woodward, Dearden)

My dad decided that it was too risky for us to go on another long trip in his car as it had broken down twice (at Luton and at Oxford) in just over 2 months. We decided to go to the Lane to see our reserves beat Wolves 3-2. Hodgy played in goal that day and I remember feeling sorry for him having to play in a reserves match after being our undisputed first choice keeper for many years. I think it was the only time he played in a reserves match since being dropped from the 1st team. Years later reading his interview with Gary Armstrong, I was puzzled when Hodgy claimed that John Harris asked him to return to the 1st team after John Hope had hit bad form in 1972 despite , to my knowledge, having played in only one reserves match in 12 months.

During half time my dad overheard that TC had missed a penalty again and the pavilion scoreboard revealed that it was goalless at the Valley stadium but shortly afterwards there were gasps from the Lane crowd when the scoreboard revealed that Colchester were leading L**ds 2-0 in the FA Cup 4th round.

At the final whistle we were happy with the knowledge that the 1st team had won 2-0 at the Valley but laughed at the knowledge that the mighty L**ds had lost 3-2 to 4th division Colchester. Usually on the front page of the Green Un they would have a photo of a match played at Sheffield that day but that evening the photo on the front page was Ray Crawford scoring his and Colchester's 2nd goal against L**ds (photo down below) and I remember watching highlights of the famous giantkilling on MOTD that evening (footage of the goals below) especially the joyous celebrations when Colchester scored their 3rd goal.

Charltonreserves.jpg

I hadnt realised until this week that TC's brother Paul played in NIL matches for about 5 to 6 weeks in Jan and Feb 1971 (for some reason I always thought Paul was in our books only for the 1968-69 season).

CharltonNIL.jpg
CharltonHockey.png

CharltonHope.png

CharltonGreenUnheadline.jpg
CharltonGreenUn1.jpg
CharltonGreenUn2.jpg
CharltonGreenUn3.jpg
CharltonGreenUnlast.jpg
CharltonBartramheadline.jpg
CharltonBartram1.jpg
CharltonBartram2.jpg
CharltonStar1.jpg
CharltonStar2.jpg
1613172340997.png
1613172410400.png

1613172501665.png

13/2/1971

My dad decided that it was too risky for us to go on another long trip in his car as it had broken down twice (at Luton and at Oxford) in just over 2 months. We decided to go to the Lane to see our reserves beat Wolves 3-2. Hodgy played in goal that day and I remember feeling sorry for him having to play in a reserves match after being our undisputed first choice keeper for many years. I think it was the only time he played in a reserves match since being dropped from the 1st team. Years later reading his interview with Gary Armstrong, I was puzzled when Hodgy claimed that John Harris asked him to return to the 1st team after John Hope had hit bad form in 1972 despite , to my knowledge, having played in only one reserves match in 12 months.

During half time my dad overheard that TC had missed a penalty again and the pavilion scoreboard revealed that it was goalless at the Valley stadium but shortly afterwards there were gasps from the Lane crowd when the scoreboard revealed that Colchester were leading L**ds 2-0 in the FA Cup 4th round.

At the final whistle we were happy with the knowledge that the 1st team had won 2-0 at the Valley but laughed at the knowledge that the mighty L**ds had lost 3-2 to 4th division Colchester. Usually on the front page of the Green Un they would have a photo of a match played at Sheffield that day but that evening the photo on the front page was Ray Crawford scoring his and Colchester's 2nd goal against L**ds (photo down below) and I remember watching highlights of the famous giantkilling on MOTD that evening (footage of the goals below) especially the joyous celebrations when Colchester scored their 3rd goal.

View attachment 105456

I hadnt realised until this week that TC's brother Paul played in NIL matches for about 5 to 6 weeks in Jan and Feb 1971 (for some reason I always thought Paul was in our books only for the 1968-69 season).

View attachment 105457
View attachment 105459

View attachment 105460

View attachment 105461
View attachment 105462
View attachment 105463
View attachment 105464
View attachment 105465
View attachment 105466
View attachment 105467
View attachment 105468
View attachment 105469
View attachment 105470
View attachment 105473
View attachment 105474

View attachment 105476

Some very good players in those reserves and NIL teams there Silent.

13/2/1971

View attachment 105456

View attachment 105457
View attachment 105459

View attachment 105460

View attachment 105461
View attachment 105462
View attachment 105463
View attachment 105464
View attachment 105465
View attachment 105466
View attachment 105467
View attachment 105468
View attachment 105469
View attachment 105470
View attachment 105473
View attachment 105474

View attachment 105476

Interesting to note that the journalist on one of the reports on the Charlton match was one Sam Bartram .

I can only assume this is the former Charlton goalkeeper who I remember from my younger days and who played hundreds of games for the club .

However , his biggest claim to fame was the fact that he once played in a match that was called off due to thick fog when the ball was at the other end of the pitch . As a result , he was totally unaware as to what had happened and stayed in his goal for fully 15 minutes after everyone else had gone off !

50 years ago today I was a month away from entering the family.

50 years ago today I was a month away from entering the family.

50 years ago today I was informed by the now Mrs.Joe that the Valentines Day treat she was looking for was a proposal of marriage , and that anything less would result in me having to start looking for a new girlfriend .

Naturally , I complied with her wishes and looking back and cutting her a bit of slack as I often do , it was not one of worst decisions I ever made . 🙂

Back
Top Bottom