50 years ago today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

11/3/1972

Stoke 2 (Smith, Ritchie) Blades 2 (Smith og, Scullion)

The only memory I have of that day was that I was surprised to see John Farmer in goal for Stoke instead of Gordon Banks. I read years later that Stoke paraded the League Cup to the crowd before the kick off but I dont remember this despite being at Wembley to see Stoke win the cup the previous week. Maybe my dad had arrived at the ground late? Dont remember the goals too and hadnt realised until this week that Dennis Smith scored for both sides! For some reason the Green Un report wasnt available at the Library Archives. Maybe there wasnt one that weekend?
View attachment 132045
View attachment 132046

Scores, scorers (Woody didnt score despite the link thinking he did) and tables are in below link

Smith scoring for Stoke

1660676415453.png

View attachment 111465

View attachment 111467
View attachment 111468

What a night it was! My dad bought tickets in advance for our usual seats in the BLUT. I was expecting a close game but it turned out to be a brilliant performance by us!

Just before the kick off the crowd booed when ex-Wendy Alan Warboys' name was mentioned as the announcer was naming Cardiff's line up and there was a smirk on his face.

Early in the game Billy Dearden broke through at the Kop End and placed a low firm shot past keeper Eadie for the first goal of the night

View attachment 111466

Billy's usual goal celebration was polite handshaking with his teammates, he had a serious look on his face while trotting back to the centre circle but this was an exception as he went wild with delight . In the below photo Len's left elbow is blocking the photographer's view of me and my dad.

View attachment 111469
Billy didnt seem to know where he should be running to so he celebrated with his teammates on the touchline near the cricket square

View attachment 111470

Nearly half hour later John Flynn made it 2-0 heading in a low cross

View attachment 111474
View attachment 111479

View attachment 111478

Not long after, Cardiff's Steve Derrett tried a long shot from outside the box but it took deflection off Trevor Hockey's back and wrongfooted John Hope who could only watch the ball go in the opposite top corner of the net.

Just before half time John Hope had a long treatment from trainer Cec Coldwell after suffering a cut nose after an aerial clash with Warboys.

In the opening minutes of the 2nd half, Cardiff were putting pressure towards our goal.

View attachment 111475

Then in the 55th minute TC headed in a Woody corner and immediately I noticed keeper Eadie falling flat on his back as if he was injured. After the match Cardiff's manager , Jim Scoular claimed TC had punched the keeper, looking at the photos it didnt seem to be the case.

View attachment 111476

Midway in the 2nd half Gil Reece scored the best goal of the night by volleying in an assist my Woody, it happened too quick for the cameras

In the last 10 minutes Dearden made it 5-1 to top off a memorable night!

View attachment 111480

After the final whistle there was a bit of a pitch invasion and there were smiles around the ground, the Cardiff fans must have left the ground before the final whistle! The scoreboard revealed that Leicester had beaten Bristol City so they go up as champions. We need to beat Watford at the Lane to get the 2nd promotion place.

View attachment 111481
An ex-workmate of mine told me of when he went to the Nags Head pub (now the Bowshaw) near Dronfield to celebrate the win, he saw Cardiff fans crying in their beer. It was the first time he had seen grown men crying.

View attachment 111482
View attachment 111484

View attachment 111483
View attachment 111485
View attachment 111486
View attachment 111487

View attachment 111488
View attachment 111489

From the match programme

View attachment 111490
View attachment 111491
Thank you for igniting some special memories.😍

Ironically they (Cardiff) knocked us out of the FA cup in the 3rd round the following season 1-3. This great team of ours never really got anywhere in the cup !
That was the first home game I missed since starting to go to games . I had never seen Utd lose at home as I missed the Hull City game during the promotion season.

Got to the ground that rainy day and discovered I had left my money at home . Stood outside BL on cherry st looking at up the ledge terracing on the Kop .

Fans were giving me the score - so technically I went but still hadn’t seen us lose .

I was on the kop,that late winner was a sickener.
That ball boy should have let the ball run and stop the quick throw..unlucky that day.

04 Sep 1973Sheffield United v ArsenalW5-0League Division One

This was a real beauty of a match- one of TC's finest hours. Those that went to this take the memory to the grave without fail- and the crowd was over 27,000. We've been well supported for donkeys years..
i remmember this game i was 11 we hammered gunners i was on the kop with my dad it was awsome .utb..

i remmember this game i was 11 we hammered gunners i was on the kop with my dad it was awsome .utb..
Previously Alan Ball had sat on the ball as Arsenal gave us a drubbing at the Lane.This time we were dishing out the drubbing and TC sat on the ball as a response to Ball who saw the funny side. That must be approaching 45 years ago! Time flies.👍😏

Previously Alan Ball had sat on the ball as Arsenal gave us a drubbing at the Lane.This time we were dishing out the drubbing and TC sat on the ball as a response to Ball who saw the funny side. That must be approaching 45 years ago! Time flies.👍😏
Not the previous season, but the season before when Alan Ball sat on the ball. The previous season we won 1-0 (Dearden) and Ball was sent off, the Lane crowd erupted in cheers

Back
Top Bottom