Potential summer signings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think we should be signing at least 7 in the summer.

GK
CB
RWB/RM
LWB/LM
AM
CF
CF

With at least 4 of those being starters.

Agree Nic on the strikers. All arguably lesser players next season due to their age. Just budget-wise always the most difficult to get right.

What makes you suggest an AM, Ricky given we have 3 or 4? Is this if Brooks goes?

Also for RM is that if we switch formation or because of the injuries. Could Leonard not help there?

Agree Nic on the strikers. All arguably lesser players next season due to their age. Just budget-wise always the most difficult to get right.

What makes you suggest an AM, Ricky given we have 3 or 4? Is this if Brooks goes?

Also for RM is that if we switch formation or because of the injuries. Could Leonard not help there?

By attacking midfielder I also mean winger/all round attacking player. We only really have Brooks and Holmes to play wide. We need all the options to play 4-2-3-1, and more pace and power. Sammy Ameobi for example.

I say RWB/RM because I'd like someone for RWB who has reliable end product, ideally someone who's naturally a winger. This player could also double up as a wide midfielder/winger in a different formation. Ben Marshall for example.

WE need some quality signings to back up this season. 3 or 4 I would say to get in the playoffs next year. Don't think we will get in the playoffs this year now. Stevens is now a weak link in the side , struggling over the 46 games in the championship, and one or two others like sharp. Leonard looks like a league one player up to now unfortunately, evens struggling.

I think in the summer we will remove the players out that are currently on loan away from our club and who we have brought in. Along with a few others going such as Reed / Carruthers / Lafferty / Wright.

Gives us some space to improve, even if we have similar backing next summer as this summer we can improve but only in terms of squad depth not squad quality.

But the finances will determine that for us. If similar money we will improve slightly.

If big money we can challenge. Birmingham showed if you have the finances even small clubs can attract players such as Roberts / Jota / forgot there goalkeepers name etc. I know it’s not worked out for them but shows you can attract them. You don’t need 15 million pound players. But a 15 million budget allows you to really strengthen the quality.

It showed on Saturday players like Forshaw for Leeds is a very very talented footballer and if your willing to pay 3/4million you can guarantee a decent player.

Given his contract situation, I'd be surprised if Lee Gregory is not a Blade (again) at the start of next season (unless the impossible is achieved and Utd make and win the play-offs!).

Either way, I would expect the outgoings to be Long, Wright, Carruthers, Lavery, Reed, possibly Thomas and Lafferty (but hopefully not Brooks or Fleck!). If so, I'd expect like-for-like replacements (albeit of better quality) as well as further strengthening at GK as I'm not wholly convinced by either Moore or Blackman (who will obviously return to CFC). Sure, both look good on their day but both also have plenty of mistakes in them and IMHO aren't consistent enough.

The type of player I think the current squad is missing most of all is an unpredictable, 'box of tricks' type - the sort that can conjure something out of nothing and turn a game - someone like Kaikai at Palace

Given his contract situation, I'd be surprised if Lee Gregory is not a Blade (again) at the start of next season (unless the impossible is achieved and Utd make and win the play-offs!).

Either way, I would expect the outgoings to be Long, Wright, Carruthers, Lavery, Reed, possibly Thomas and Lafferty (but hopefully not Brooks or Fleck!). If so, I'd expect like-for-like replacements (albeit of better quality) as well as further strengthening at GK as I'm not wholly convinced by either Moore or Blackman (who will obviously return to CFC). Sure, both look good on their day but both also have plenty of mistakes in them and IMHO aren't consistent enough.

The type of player I think the current squad is missing most of all is an unpredictable, 'box of tricks' type - the sort that can conjure something out of nothing and turn a game - someone like Kaikai at Palace

Came on for Shrewsbury and scored, I would not want to see the back of him just yet

Came on for Shrewsbury and scored, I would not want to see the back of him just yet

Yep, I like him as a player from the little I've seen but my two main reservations would be (1) could he fit into Utd's preferred and now established formation (either at LWB or CAM?)? (2) is/will he be good enough to even get a place in the side (or even on the bench)?

If he's able to convert to play LWB I think he may have a chance but I think he'll struggle to get ahead of Duffy, Holmes, Brooks (if he's not now classed as a second striker) & possibly even Carruthers (if he stays) at CAM for the foreseeable.

If we went to a Wolves like formation I think he could be very dangerous.

If we don't go up, I think we're likely to lose Brooks and Fleck to Premier League teams, and possibly also JOC. Of those, only the latter would require an immediate replacement as we've strength in depth in midfield.

The bigger problem is likely to be up front. Sharp, Clarke, and Donaldson are all getting on a bit, Lavery and Hanson are pretty clearly not good enough, and there's no evidence that Evans will ever be a top level Championship striker. Realistically any money from selling Brooks and Fleck would need to be invested in 2 or 3 really good forwards. If we got 20 million for the two outgoings, spending 10 million would be reasonable and I think would get us the required level of quality.

Brooks won't be here next season and the fact Wilder brought both Leonard and Evans in suggests Fleck may be on his way if we dont' go up.

Hopefully the money raised will go on a sh1t hot striker...no idea who though!

Brooks won't be here next season and the fact Wilder brought both Leonard and Evans in suggests Fleck may be on his way if we dont' go up.

Hopefully the money raised will go on a sh1t hot striker...no idea who though!

I think all the signings of Leonard and Evans suggest is that Wilder doesn't want to have us to find ourselves in the same position we found ourselves in between November and January. All it takes one injury and a suspension and we are lacking again.

We should swap Lundstram for Max Power.

Max power isn’t as good as Lundstram.

Disagree. And Power's more suitable competition for Fleck. Coutts and Evans have the other role tied up between them.

Back
Top Bottom