Paul Coutts - I got it wrong

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Bit of humble pie for me here and anyone else who fancies taking a bite. It's no secret that I have been one of his biggest critics, which was mainly based on his performances under Clough and Adkins and I was initially surprised by his sudden remarkable upturn in form under Wilder, and to be fair I didn't think he'd be able to sustain it and said so.

But I must say I was way off with that, he's managed to sustain it incredibly well and as we all know he's now a really important part of what has been and what will hopefully also end up as, a promotion side. All aboard the Coutts express to the Championship.

Not wishing to gloat but I am, I always saw a footballer in Couttsy :). He also seems to be adding more to his game recently and looks like a leader in the midfield. Thing is though, it must be so much easier playing in the middle of the park next to the best midfielder in the league rather than a useless bellend who must have had some juicy blackmail material on postitive (deranged lunatic) Nigel.

Wear your hair shirt with pride, you must be punished for your lack of faith Barney

Agreed. When it was announced that he was transfer listed I was happy and couldn't wait to get rid of him....how happy I am to be proven wrong. Looks a class act in our midfield now (still not as good as Lord John Fleck mind you). Whatever Wilder did/said to him seems to have worked miracles. He's one of the players that I think could make the step up IF we go up this year.

Bit of humble pie for me here and anyone else who fancies taking a bite. It's no secret that I have been one of his biggest critics, which was mainly based on his performances under Clough and Adkins and I was initially surprised by his sudden remarkable upturn in form under Wilder, and to be fair I didn't think he'd be able to sustain it and said so.

But I must say I was way off with that, he's managed to sustain it incredibly well and as we all know he's now a really important part of what has been and what will hopefully also end up as, a promotion side. All aboard the Coutts express to the Championship.
I was of the same opinion but he changed my mind during last season when I saw glimpses of the player we are now seeing every week. In fact I posted a thread saying he seemed to be an enigma because it was obvious he had the ability but his work rate let him down. Although he's still not the hardest worker, his work rate has improved dramatically and therefore he's a much better player. Technically, he's one of our best players.

Surely this ship sailed months ago? :)

He's been superb this season. I can't forget the previous two, under two different managers. That was as near to stealing a wage as possible.

But Wilder ha resurrected his career, and he a great player for us now. I never thought it possible.

UTB

It is not a case of being proved wrong.
Why would any fan not want a player to play to the best of his ability for their club?
Why would any fan not want a player to become the vest ever player for their club?
On the first, as stated in many threads he has a long way to go. He started to shoot more a few weeks ago and has now stopped shooting again so in that part 9 his game he has regressed. He has gone back to his old ways of playing it safe.
He is defending a little better but again once a player goes beyond him he ball watches instead of seeing where he might be needed. He travels only from penalty to penalty D and rarely beyond. He has over the last few weeks become less static so that is also an improvement.
On the second, he will never be our greatest player ever. He fits this team and because the team is so good it suits him because he has the time to decide what to do on the ball.
FLECK is miles superior in all departments and DUFFY does most things better than him.
If people want to drool about someone they class as a third division superstar then little will change their minds.
He is a reasonable ball player in a great team and nothing more.
I'm happy with CWs choice to play him but he ain't half frustrating because there should be so much more.

Why would any fan not want a player to play to the best of his ability for their club?
Why would any fan not want a player to become the vest ever player for their club?
On the first, as stated in many threads he has a long way to go. He started to shoot more a few weeks ago and has now stopped shooting again so in that part 9 his game he has regressed. He has gone back to his old ways of playing it safe.
He is defending a little better but again once a player goes beyond him he ball watches instead of seeing where he might be needed. He travels only from penalty to penalty D and rarely beyond. He has over the last few weeks become less static so that is also an improvement.
On the second, he will never be our greatest player ever. He fits this team and because the team is so good it suits him because he has the time to decide what to do on the ball.
FLECK is miles superior in all departments and DUFFY does most things better than him.
If people want to drool about someone they class as a third division superstar then little will change their minds.
I'm happy with CWs choice to play him but he ain't half frustrating because there should be so much more.
I agree with most of that, but he isn't a reasonable ball player, he's an exceptional one. If he could step up the other parts, he'd be an outstanding player, even at a higher level.

I don't believe he has the engine or body to work much harder or to become a tough tackler. He could definitely improve his offensive game though.

UTB

He's improved this season, there's no doubt about that but the bar was set so low from the man himself that people are now creaming themselves over him when as boo radley quite rightly points out that there should be a lot more to come from a player who is so comfortable on the ball.

If we carry on with a three man midfield then Coutts will probably have a future here but if Wilder chooses to switch to a two man midfield then Coutts will have to look elsewhere.

I agree with most of that, but he isn't a reasonable ball player, he's an exceptional one. If he could step up the other parts, he'd be an outstanding player, even at a higher level.

I don't believe he has the engine or body to work much harder or to become a tough tackler. He could definitely improve his offensive game though.

UTB
Exceptionally reasonable then.

I know he's Scottish and wasn't the most mobile of players last season, but really boo radley a bit extreme

CbupKZfW0AERou_.jpg

Wonder what his contract status is. I'm sure there was an option to extend provided he reached enough games (which I'm more than certain he has/will do).

Barney

I've give you stick in the past over some of your posts, so full credit to you for putting your head above the parapet.

Like many, I saw a good footballer in Coutts but no drive or spirit to match. Being transfer listed should have made him even more disinterested, so it is credit to him that he has come back with a point to prove. It is a win-win for CW too, who now has a superb midfielder for 'free', rather than a wage thief eating a chunk of his budget.

It is also a good example to any Billy Big Bollocks kids we might have breaking through, that hard work and the right attitude can take you a long way. A great story so far for Coutts, the club and us fans.......let's hope there is a suitably Hollywood happy ending this season.

I value his place in the team and he has played really well. Unfortunately I will never forgive him for giving up on us last season.

Some might see it different, but that was a real low moment for me personally.
Exactly!

When you see how he can perform and how much better the work rate is this season it makes last season a joke no matter who the manager was, he was still getting paid an handsome sum of money to atleast put the fucking efort in.

I value his place in the team and he has played really well. Unfortunately I will never forgive him for giving up on us last season.

Some might see it different, but that was a real low moment for me personally.

Is the correct answer.

Unfortunately the Court Of Forum Opinion had already decided as early as September that Golden Boy was going to be flavour of the season despite playing well for 2 months out of 20 and being "too bored" to apply his apparent skills previously.

Meanwhile we have players who have consistently delivered the goods yet getting any appreciation is like pulling fucking teeth.

Funny old world innit?

Meanwhile we have players who have consistently delivered the goods yet getting any appreciation is like pulling fucking teeth.

No idea who you mean. Absolutely none.

"And today's broken record award goes of course to Pinchy for his made up 'S2 hoofers' jibes. No, only joking, Tyler wins it hands down for restarting yesterday's 'No one else loves Billy like I do' thread"

No idea who you mean. Absolutely none.

"And today's broken record award goes of course to Pinchy for his made up 'S2 hoofers' jibes. No, only joking, Tyler wins it hands down for restarting yesterday's 'No one else loves Billy like I do' thread"

Au contraire

I've been trying all season to get everyone to love Our Billy. Guess you just can't force it.

Is the correct answer.

Unfortunately the Court Of Forum Opinion had already decided as early as September that Golden Boy was going to be flavour of the season despite playing well for 2 months out of 20 and being "too bored" to apply his apparent skills previously.

Funny old world innit?

Come on Tyler Durden , he's improved and is a key player...but he's no John Fleck or Billy Sharp ;)

Not wishing to gloat but I am, I always saw a footballer in Couttsy

Fuckin' hell it's "Couttsy" now is it. I'm with Sheffielder on this one. It's end of the season and it's promotion minimum before Coutts moves into credit with me. One thing we haven't discussed is now that his stock has risen, is he going to be hankering for a move come the end of the season? I've a feeling this love/hate with him isn't over yet.

Fair play Barney,but it's turning into an 'I got it wrong,but..' thread,haha.
Coutts always had ability for me,it was mainly a fitness problem the first season in which he played about 18 games,but you could see he had ability on the ball from day one....I just think he needed a Manager who knows how to get the best out of him,and let's be right,Adkins fell way short on that with more than just Coutts.

Saw this when we first signed him and really looked forward to watching him. Glad to say he is now fulfilling his potential.

You could always see the footballer in him. But you had question his slow, laid back style and his commitment to the cause under the previous 2 managers.
But having someone like Fleck at the side of him providing the benchmark is bound to inspire Coutts.

Back
Top Bottom