McNulty at it again...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney is Curtis and Ricky is Herbert from BM. That is all you need to know. Neither (this is for Pinchy) are teenage illiterate lager louts. What they are has been sussed out very rapidly. At least from my experience Herb (sorry Ricky) has some very valid opinions challenging the club and management when needed. Barney....................?

Back to the purpose of the OP. Just an opinion but I think McNulty is not a particularly nice personality in the same sense (in leagues above) of YaYa Toure, Balotelli, Costa and similar being a big headed arrogant twat. No doubt he is also disruptive because he is cocky and "cock of the walk"in his little world in Scotland. That means nowt down here. He must have riled Clough no end with his attitude and inability to play to his system.

Having said that, if you can play with the luxury of a knobbend like McNulty floating around just looking for an opportunity to get on the end of a loose ball or playing simply up front with no other responsibility but to score when you can, then I have no problem with McNulty as a player. He knows all the basics of simply getting the ball on the ground and putting it in the net. Sometimes, that is all you need. I think he is a natural but in this day and age we can't afford the luxury of a natural especially with a personality defect. My heart wishes that McNulty will grow up and ditch his mates and knuckle down and be a hero. My head says he ain't that type of kid and someone else will sort it or inherit the problem.

McNulty scoring for Pompey is a bit of a win-win for me. Sorry if this pisses a few people off who think we should recall him and play him but I think there is an issue around him that a couple of managers have taken a dislike to and have been unable to iron out/accommodate. Let's face it....no manager....and I dont care how bad they are.....would willingly offload a player unless they believed that what they can ADD is LESS than what their presence around the club takes away. Shame but there it is. I hope he scores a few more goals and puts himself in the shop window. He's under contract so if we can get a few quid for him then all good - another one off the books. Yes..in an ideal world he would come back to us and fire us to promotion but let's get real..... He's probably burnt his bridges with us as a club...certainly some of the stuff uttered by his friends would indicate such....so..................keep scoring McNulty and and let's all sit here and mentally add a few noughts to his transfer value!!!! :)

This gets brought up time and time again, but to be honest scoring isn't exactly our problem is it? We've scored in 30+ home league games in a roe, we're the 4th top scorers in the league - we're generally good for goals. It's the non-existent defence that has been the problem time and time agai. If McNulty was a centre-back playing out of his skin at Pompey then I would be a little more bothered, but it's not exactly what we're crying out for.

if you can play with the luxury of a knobbend like McNulty floating around just looking for an opportunity to get on the end of a loose ball or playing simply up front with no other responsibility but to score when you can, then I have no problem with McNulty as a player.

Sort of how I was seeing it when he was with us but Paul Cook seems to be having some success with him. Don't know what way he is playing him lately but I did get to see one game on TV, think it was possibly his first game for them, against Wimbledon, and McNulty worked really hard most of the game, chasing lost causes and stuff like Done does.

He started well then faded a bit as far as I can tell. The goals certainly dropped off. He's our 3rd best striker behind Done and Billy. He's not got the workrate of the first or the all round game of the second. You can't play him with Sharp. I think, given his off the field issues, a small fee and Pompey he should go.

When he's started games for us he generally been lazy and poor

He started well then faded a bit as far as I can tell. The goals certainly dropped off. He's our 3rd best striker behind Done and Billy. He's not got the workrate of the first or the all round game of the second. You can't play him with Sharp. I think, given his off the field issues, a small fee and Pompey he should go.

When he's started games for us he generally been lazy and poor

He got one against Ipswich in the cup on Tuesday. I would be interested to hear what Paul Cook says about him. Looked on the Pompey forum and their fans are really keen on him and in December one poster said he spoke to McMulty's dad who said "Mark is desperate to stay but it's only a 'gentlemans agreement' that he can stay after january". But yes, I agree with you he should go, it's never going to work out with him at S2 now.

If barney is Curtis it would explain the lack of home games attended, and pretend season ticket selling, but, there hasn't been any positives whatsoever from him and Curtis would quite often praise, go to games (always Dahhn saaarf) and put a few positives in... Memory's a bit dusty, but I think Curtis was an advocate of Adkins way back as well, so to me the jury's out, maybe barney is a blade, just one that thrives on the 100% negative vibe..... Think we're having our pants pulled down tho tbh...

Well now I've skimmed through all the Barney v everyone else posts....

I was suggesting that from a playing point of view, I just think that McNulty is a better option than Sammon, certainly not Billy. I also think they showed they could play together as we saw briefly v Blackpool at home. Some might say that Sammon offers something different and is a target man etc - my point is that at the moment, he's not even doing that, whilst McNulty is scoring goals for fun (albeit in League 2) but as we know he scores at this level too.

Take the point about attitude - maybe he is disruptive, who knows. There are quite a few comments about him upsetting the camp, but apart from incidents in bars and clubs, what else do we actually know about his attitude and personality? Is this fact or are we just putting 2 and 2 together?

The Pompey fans love him. He scores goals.

They also like Doyle and Davies, who get quite a bit of back page stuff down here. Doyle is at his level, Davies maybe also. Pompey have lacked strength and leadership in midfield and someone out wide who can create from the wing back position. They've also needed a fox in the box like McNulty. Neither Doyle nor Davies have the legs for next season if Pompey shave promotion. McNulty will possibly be found out again.

There's no reports of McNulty misbehaving or having snags with the team. Pompey fans are overjoyed he is extended.

pommpey

The Pompey fans love him. He scores goals.

They also like Doyle and Davies, who get quite a bit of back page stuff down here. Doyle is at his level, Davies maybe also. Pompey have lacked strength and leadership in midfield and someone out wide who can create from the wing back position. They've also needed a fox in the box like McNulty. Neither Doyle nor Davies have the legs for next season if Pompey shave promotion. McNulty will possibly be found out again.

There's no reports of McNulty misbehaving or having snags with the team. Pompey fans are overjoyed he is extended.

pommpey
I think you're spot on Pommpey. I may well be proven wrong IF they go up and these player shine in Div 3 but my guess is that they've found their level (although we do miss a Doyle of a couple of seasons ago). As Snowman said earlier, McNulty may well be the kind of "luxury" player who likes to have one role (putting the ball in the net) which we can't afford but he's playing in a team which, at the level they are, can work with that.

Difference between McNulty and Doyle/Davies is age though.

Both the D men have had careers (of varying luster) and are on the downward slope to retirement. MM is (or should be) learning and improving with every game.
His goal scoring record is still very good and, I think, it's a little premature to be saying he can't turn his assets into a decent career but he's running out of options if we want rid.
Up to him, is he prepared to work like Kevin Keegan and make 200% of a his talent or Glyn Hodges and use about 15% of what he had to give?

I'm sure I read the same shit about Billy when he was knocking them in for Scunny in L1 and we were trying to get out of the championship (the right way).
Billy never could hold down a first team starting place in a promotion chasing championship side, the best he managed was impact sub at Saints.

He's not better than Sharp and he's not better than Done so if he wants regular first team football (which he probably needs to develop) then he's better where he is.

I'm sure I read the same shit about Billy when he was knocking them in for Scunny in L1 and we were trying to get out of the championship (the right way).
Billy never could hold down a first team starting place in a promotion chasing championship side, the best he managed was impact sub at Saints.

He's not better than Sharp and he's not better than Done so if he wants regular first team football (which he probably needs to develop) then he's better where he is.

"Best he managed was impact sub at Saints"

That's harsh.

I doubt you could find any Saints fan on the planet that would agree with this ascertion.

If your not a fan, that's fine. Spouting nonsense is, well, not !!!!

UTB

"Best he managed was impact sub at Saints"

That's harsh.

I doubt you could find any Saints fan on the planet that would agree with this ascertion.

If your not a fan, that's fine. Spouting nonsense is, well, not !!!!

UTB
Not a fan of Billy? Far from it. I'm very glad he's playing for us.

He didn't make that many starts for Southampton but did score several important goals.

Not a fan of Billy? Far from it. I'm very glad he's playing for us.

He didn't make that many starts for Southampton but did score several important goals.
Ok let's try this.

Your team is towards the top end of the championship at the end of January, fighting for promotion. Good squad of players that has done very well to get where it is. Manager thinks you might need a bit more firepower to see the team over the line. Not an unnatural thing to wish for !!

You sign a proven striker, for around £2m at end of the JTW. Expectations are high.

Said striker comes straight in to the side, starts most of the remaining games and ends up with 9 goals in 15 games. Your team secures promotion to PL.

Now let's fast forward and assume this is Sheffield United.

How should we fans regard our new 9 in 15 striker ?

A. Boy done good. It's what he's paid for.
B. Average.
C. Hero worshipped for a valuable and vital contribution towards the push for promotion.

?????

I think I know what most folks would think. I think you and I see this very differently !!

UTB

Ok let's try this.

Your team is towards the top end of the championship at the end of January, fighting for promotion. Good squad of players that has done very well to get where it is. Manager thinks you might need a bit more firepower to see the team over the line. Not an unnatural thing to wish for !!

You sign a proven striker, for around £2m at end of the JTW. Expectations are high.

Said striker comes straight in to the side, starts most of the remaining games and ends up with 9 goals in 15 games. Your team secures promotion to PL.

Now let's fast forward and assume this is Sheffield United.

How should we fans regard our new 9 in 15 striker ?

A. Boy done good. It's what he's paid for.
B. Average.
C. Hero worshipped for a valuable and vital contribution towards the push for promotion.

?????

I think I know what most folks would think. I think you and I see this very differently !!

UTB
My point is that he's spent 15 games in his whole career at a club pushing for promotion and most of his career at mid table championship clubs.
Billy Whitehurst is a hero to me but he's not a great footballer. Billy may well be a hero to the Saints, like Rodriguez, Lambert and Lallana but it doesn't make him Messi.

I like Billy, I'm glad we've signed him and he's doing well, he's top class at this level and could still be playing in the championship.

But my post was primarily about McNulty. I just used Billy as an example of a striker who looked very good a league below his parent club but wasn't really ready to be a first team choice for his parent club.

It wasn't intended to be a criticism of Billy and doesn't really warrant such a long exchange of posts.

why arent there similar threads about Porter , who is also banging them in
Porter has got 4 goals all season, that's why there's no threads regarding our cup hero. Incidently, Sammon has scored 6 goals for us this season and he's shite, hence no proper threads on the fishmonger.

I think you're spot on Pommpey. I may well be proven wrong IF they go up and these player shine in Div 3 but my guess is that they've found their level (although we do miss a Doyle of a couple of seasons ago). As Snowman said earlier, McNulty may well be the kind of "luxury" player who likes to have one role (putting the ball in the net) which we can't afford but he's playing in a team which, at the level they are, can work with that.
We can't afford to have a player who puts the ball in the onion bag? I honestly don't know what to say to that statement as i'm pretty sure you have to score goals to win football matches, this being the main aspect of winning any game of football.

We can't afford to have a player who puts the ball in the onion bag? I honestly don't know what to say to that statement as i'm pretty sure you have to score goals to win football matches, this being the main aspect of winning any game of football.

When I were a lad we were that poor we couldn't afford players who put the ball in the onion bag - luxury!

We couldn't afford an onion bag It were a pig's bladder from't butcher an' after we'd played wi' it, it were boiled up for us dinner.
tempting though it is I will refrain from going any further down the 4 Yorkshiremen path ;)

Behave....You know that's not what I meant :rolleyes:. It's not necessarily a problem we've got given our scoring record and the players we have who are doing it maybe offer just a little more than simply that.

Porter has got 4 goals all season, that's why there's no threads regarding our cup hero. Incidently, Sammon has scored 6 goals for us this season and he's shite, hence no proper threads on the fishmonger.

you havent used the post where mcnultys not on the league 2 top scorers list ,,, why

you havent used the post where mcnultys not on the league 2 top scorers list ,,, why
Because you posted "why aren't there any threads about Porter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, who is also banging them in" which is total and utter bollocks in every aspect, that's why.

Back
Top Bottom