Baxter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Baxter s going to be one of those players who is a yard or two short of pace from being a terrific player, because of this lack of pace he can't play in a central midfield two as his teams would get over run, so he has to play in the hole behind a single striker with two centre mids covering behind him. However his natural inclination to be a midfielder means he often drops too deep and leaves the forward isolated.

If a manger or team needs two strikers on the pitch this is the role that gets sacrificed so he inevitably is the one dropped back to the bench.

It's a shame as he does have real ability when he had the ball at his feet.

Different eyes see different game, and I didn't rate Doyle Wednesday, but that's the beauty of the game.
Opinions opinions.
There were times when his distribution and shooting were quite poor. However we don't have him in the side for that, and for the less glamorous side we have no one who can do what he does as well as he does it.

There were times when his distribution and shooting were quite poor. However we don't have him in the side for that, and for the less glamorous side we have no one who can do what he does as well as he does it.
I like this bob as you noticed how poor his shooting and passing was in the game,aswell as his great break up play and positional strengths against Spurs,however,in time,i really do think Basham could play this role and his distribution is a lot better.

I like this bob as you noticed how poor his shooting and passing was in the game,aswell as his great break up play and positional strengths against Spurs,however,in time,i really do think Basham could play this role and his distribution is a lot better.
I like Basham as a centre half so for me Dimaio hopefully is the answer. It would also strengthen the case that our academy is worth it. I also think that with the likes of Reed and Wallace alongside him you spread some of the more negative aspects of the role. Current Mrs Doyle does these because, frankly Baxter, Murph, Scoogs can't.

We tried it for 10-15 minutes - Basham was in the middle of Mcgahey and Kennedy, with Alcock wide left and Davis wide right.
It clearly wasn't working for other reasons as well and Basham dropped into centre midfield.
The next 20 minutes was a better but we were still all over the place at times and it wasn't until Murphy came on that the balance of the team was restored.
To be fair to Baxter, he looked good yesterday in a 4, but again what a lot of Blades haven't mentioned is Basham did a lot of the hard yards in the centre which allowed Baxter/Reed to look good players. I get fed up of defending Basham - he has a lot of qualities fans miss.

UTB

No need to defend Basham at all when he plays at the back. Clough singled him out along with Reed yesterday and I feel sure Basham will get another crack in midfield. This will be all the more likely if Kennedy continues to play well. Doyle will be replaced before next season and maybe before too long.
If Basham plays instead of Doyle I think the lad has to play with more discipline. He obviously likes to push on but in a 4 somebody has to hold position, which is what Doyle does superbly as well as talk the others through the game.

He's not got the hunger. For the game I mean. Plays like it all came easily to him.

In Division 3 he can survive on talent, and it's not like he's a passenger but lung-bursting recovery tackles don't come naturally to him.

In a long tradition of talented but unathletic players, eg Bob Carolgees.

What and who are you defending him against? I have not seen one fan slag Basham off for absolutely months,so i honestly have not got a clue where this has come from.

You are indeed correct, and the whole point is remind fans to give players chance to settle into a new club.
He has always been a footballer, has always tried to do the job he was put into by NC yet he was castigated by numerous.
So the lesson, is to give players a chance - nothing more nothing less.

UTB

No need to defend Basham at all when he plays at the back. Clough singled him out along with Reed yesterday and I feel sure Basham will get another crack in midfield. This will be all the more likely if Kennedy continues to play well. Doyle will be replaced before next season and maybe before too long.
If Basham plays instead of Doyle I think the lad has to play with more discipline. He obviously likes to push on but in a 4 somebody has to hold position, which is what Doyle does superbly as well as talk the others through the game.

The point of defending Basham is all the crap he got early on in the season. Once again, he started in a central 3, moved to central midfield and is adaptable because he is a footballer. Bash may replace Doyle, this is true - the main issue with Doyle - his captaincy is beyond doubt and is there anyone else who could step up and be captain? That type of role is underestimated - a leader on the pitch is always needed and Doyle, for all his previous faults pre Clough has been magnificent and should be saluted.

It was interesting to see yesterday that Baxter had the arm band - perhaps the extra responsibility helped Baxter to a better performance. If it did then long may it continue.

UTB

You are indeed correct, and the whole point is remind fans to give players chance to settle into a new club.
He has always been a footballer, has always tried to do the job he was put into by NC yet he was castigated by numerous.
So the lesson, is to give players a chance - nothing more nothing less.

UTB
Yes,i agree,every player deserves a chance and i don't just mean 1 or 2 games,they have to be able to prove themselves in a sustained number of games,only then can people berate them.

Yes,i agree,every player deserves a chance and i don't just mean 1 or 2 games,they have to be able to prove themselves in a sustained number of games,only then can people berate them.

absolutely correct - hence the reason to remind the ones on here who seem to see a few games and then give it big and loud how crap they are. It isn't anything personal against other unnamed posters, we just seem to have taken a bit too long to gel as a team - Work in Progress as they say.
Higdon gave a decent performance yesterday, and he looked much better playing 2 up top (geronimo and Mcnuts) than when he is on his own.

UTB

absolutely correct - hence the reason to remind the ones on here who seem to see a few games and then give it big and loud how crap they are. It isn't anything personal against other unnamed posters, we just seem to have taken a bit too long to gel as a team - Work in Progress as they say.
Higdon gave a decent performance yesterday, and he looked much better playing 2 up top (geronimo and Mcnuts) than when he is on his own.

UTB
Of course these are our opinions on the matter.Ultimately though,it's up to that particular poster wants he or she wants to write.They might want to make an early assumption or judgement,which i suppose adds to the debate,i'm all for that,it makes the forum interesting i suppose.

Last edited:
Of course these are our opinions on the matter.Ultimately though,it's up to which ever particular poster wants to write.They might want to make an early assumption or judgement,which i suppose adds to the debate,i'm all for that,it makes the forum interesting i suppose.

This is true, and If some want to come early and shoot their load then that's fine - trouble is, the message gets around and a poor reputation is the result. ;)

The point of defending Basham is all the crap he got early on in the season. Once again, he started in a central 3, moved to central midfield and is adaptable because he is a footballer. Bash may replace Doyle, this is true - the main issue with Doyle - his captaincy is beyond doubt and is there anyone else who could step up and be captain? That type of role is underestimated - a leader on the pitch is always needed and Doyle, for all his previous faults pre Clough has been magnificent and should be saluted.

It was interesting to see yesterday that Baxter had the arm band - perhaps the extra responsibility helped Baxter to a better performance. If it did then long may it continue.

UTB

The reason Doyle appears to have improved is because he has less responsibility in possession when playing in a "5" in midfield.

The reason Baxter appears to have improved is because he has been playing in the middle of midfield rather than up front on his own.

The reason Basham is in better favour is because he has been playing at the back rather than in midfield. Maybe he will be better in a midfield 4, certainly he has more mobility than Doyle but has he the brain and the discipline. As for skill with the ball, he might be a touch better than Doyle but not a lot from what he has shown to date. On our ratings when I last checked he was getting 5.5 in midfield and over 7.5 in defence, that is illustrative.

We tried it for 10-15 minutes - Basham was in the middle of Mcgahey and Kennedy, with Alcock wide left and Davis wide right.
It clearly wasn't working for other reasons as well and Basham dropped into centre midfield.
The next 20 minutes was a better but we were still all over the place at times and it wasn't until Murphy came on that the balance of the team was restored.
To be fair to Baxter, he looked good yesterday in a 4, but again what a lot of Blades haven't mentioned is Basham did a lot of the hard yards in the centre which allowed Baxter/Reed to look good players. I get fed up of defending Basham - he has a lot of qualities fans miss.

UTB

Thought a big factor was the fact that it was the first time we've played with 11 men when Higdon has been selected.

Agree that Murphy was our best player and changed the game from drab to interesting.

Clough wants Baxter in the team for his creativity tomorrow night. Couldn't find a place in the team at WHL because of the balance of the team.

Bearing in mind the nature of the two legs, that sums up what Baxter brings to the table. If Baxter does start who will make way, Scougall I hope, but I suspect it will be Reed and that was maybe why he played last Saturday.

Clough wants Baxter in the team for his creativity tomorrow night. Couldn't find a place in the team at WHL because of the balance of the team.

Bearing in mind the nature of the two legs, that sums up what Baxter brings to the table. If Baxter does start who will make way, Scougall I hope, but I suspect it will be Reed and that was maybe why he played last Saturday.

That's what I got from Saturday's team selection too. We can't have Reed and Baxter in midfield as it's too slow. Scougall gives us energy so it has be Doyle-Scougall-Baxter/Reed.

That's what I got from Saturday's team selection too. We can't have Reed and Baxter in midfield as it's too slow. Scougall gives us energy so it has be Doyle-Scougall-Baxter/Reed.
I think it will be Doyle Scougall and Baxter because of the fact we are 1-0 down. Baxter can create something out of nothing and has an eye for a goal Reed is still working on his scoring side of his game.

I think it will be Doyle Scougall and Baxter because of the fact we are 1-0 down. Baxter can create something out of nothing and has an eye for a goal Reed is still working on his scoring side of his game.

I am not saying I agree with this but I have a feeling Baxter may start up front instead of McNulty as he is better at holding the ball up which will then bring Scougill, into the game.

It also wouldn't surprise me if one of JCR or Murphy was on the bench with a view to making a substitution with 20 mins to go against tire defenders. which would mean

Howard
Alcock Bash McEverley Harris
Flynn,Doyle,Scougs,Reid,Murphy
Baxter

I like Basham as a centre half so for me Dimaio hopefully is the answer. It would also strengthen the case that our academy is worth it. I also think that with the likes of Reed and Wallace alongside him you spread some of the more negative aspects of the role. Current Mrs Doyle does these because, frankly Baxter, Murph, Scoogs can't.
Pinchy did you miss this?

I am not saying I agree with this but I have a feeling Baxter may start up front instead of McNulty as he is better at holding the ball up which will then bring Scougill, into the game.

It also wouldn't surprise me if one of JCR or Murphy was on the bench with a view to making a substitution with 20 mins to go against tire defenders. which would mean

Howard
Alcock Bash McEverley Harris
Flynn,Doyle,Scougs,Reid,Murphy
Baxter
I can see why you've said this,but McNulty will play for me as he was one of those rested against Preston.Also the wide positions will be very interesting duels once again,i for one am hoping Pocohontas sticks with Ben Davies at LB and doesn't bring Danny Rose back in as he will deal with whoever starts on that side a lot better than Davies would do.

Baxter has to start for me,our lack of creativity was there for all to see last week when we got in and around their box,and this myth regarding Baxter slowing play down is just that,a myth.Again we got a free kick on Saturday against Preston,who got on the ball and quickly set Murphy on his merry way with a quickly taken free kick,yes,Baxter.Who against QPR played a very quick and good first time pass through to Reed,who then in turn played a lovely ball through to McNulty to slot home,yes,Baxter.These people who keep slating Baxter will not realise what he actually does until we sell him(not aimed at you bartman 'btw').

Pinchy did you miss this?
tommy-lee-wtf-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-but-did-i-just-miss-something-aa7d52.jpg

I can see why you've said this,but McNulty will play for me as he was one of those rested against Preston.Also the wide positions will be very interesting duels once again,i for one am hoping Pocohontas sticks with Ben Davies at LB and doesn't bring Danny Rose back in as he will deal with whoever starts on that side a lot better than Davies would do.

Baxter has to start for me,our lack of creativity was there for all to see last week when we got in and around their box,and this myth regarding Baxter slowing play down is just that,a myth.Again we got a free kick on Saturday against Preston,who got on the ball and quickly set Murphy on his merry way with a quickly taken free kick,yes,Baxter.Who against QPR played a very quick and good first time pass through to Reed,who then in turn played a lovely ball through to McNulty to slot home,yes,Baxter.These people who keep slating Baxter will not realise what he actually does until we sell him(not aimed at you bartman 'btw').

Good call - have to agree on this one - would play same team as last week with Baxter in for Scoogs. Scoogs was a little wasp again last week, but we HAVE to score and for as busy as Scoogs can be, his record this season is assists = 0, goals = 1. Just hope NC doesn't play both Baxter and Scoogs at the same time.

UTB

Good call - have to agree on this one - would play same team as last week with Baxter in for Scoogs. Scoogs was a little wasp again last week, but we HAVE to score and for as busy as Scoogs can be, his record this season is assists = 0, goals = 1. Just hope NC doesn't play both Baxter and Scoogs at the same time.

UTB
Scougill will close down there back 4 so I think he will play. I can't see us play with one defensive midfielder as Doyle will get overrun so for me Reed must play

At QPR Baxter played on the left but kept cutting in, this would leave Walker to attack down that side which could be suicide so I cant see NC playing Baxter wide. He could play wide right a bench JCR but JCR has been excellent lately

McNulty is a goalscorer but if the ball isn't sticking up there(as in the 2nd half at WHL) he won't get an opportunity unless he plays Higdon up there with him which I can't see happening until the last 15 minutes or so . I want Baxter to start but I can't see where else he can realistically fit in the team apart from the 'false 9' role

First half tight. Second half attack. That will determine the first choice selection, but the subs could win the match.

I just wonder whether Higdon might be the man again, given the chance.

I would've taken him off at HT last night but then Clough removed Doyle and Baxter went deep. He then played fantastic, Baxter at his best spraying balls around, left foot, right foot, outside of foot. Brilliant 2nd half from the lad
Yeah totally agree, he played like that at Preston.

I would've taken him off at HT last night but then Clough removed Doyle and Baxter went deep. He then played fantastic, Baxter at his best spraying balls around, left foot, right foot, outside of foot. Brilliant 2nd half from the lad
I thought he (and JCR) were the weak links in the first half. Thought Baxter was majestic at times in the second - allowing everyone more space. Doyle grafted really well in the first half and kept it well - but he has to find someone else to do the passing. Baxter really looked the part.

Said it the other day. League one Pirlo. :)

I do think Baxter takes an awful lot of stick - a lot of it over harsh. True he hasn't got blistering pace and he is not perfect (wouldn't be in Div 1 if he was would he) , but he can tackle (saved our bacon with that sliding tackle to deny them a killer blow last night), has the ability to give himself time when in possession, he can outpass any player in our squad other than perhaps the magnificent Reed, has the vision to go with that, is the player most of our opponents fear and respect along with the hot and cold Murphy and he can finish. I thought we were dead and buried until Doyle went off and he took over and started pulling the strings. First half he looked a bit lost ( so did the rest of our team as Spurs' passing game ran rings round us) , second half he was as good as I have seen him. Well done Jose.

Back
Top Bottom