Being Instantly proved wrong at a game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?




If I remember rightly it was a cross from the right and he arrived late at the far post to nod home.
Yeah, quite possible. My brain agrees on the cross from the right bit - has no idea on the manner of the finish...
 
Yeah, quite possible. My brain agrees on the cross from the right bit - has no idea on the manner of the finish...
My mental image is of him rising quite high for a smallish bloke and nodding it in from about 3 yards out.
 
Michael Twiss. Anyone remember him?

We had him on loan from Man Utd - another one of those world beating potential signings that ended up in the Conference.

Warnock brought him on in one of the Christmas fixtures - Preston I think. I remember saying to Happy Hippie (RIP) "What's he brought that useless idiot on for?".
One touch later from about thirty yards out and the ball was in the Shoreham net. Absolutely worldie.

He went on to a great career with Morcambe.

He'd have been a Man United great had he not come to us

 
On the Newcastle game, it really did come out of nowhere. We'd been shit in the opening game against Palace and been lucky to get away with a one nil loss. But then in games v Forest, Man City, Everton and Spurs wed put decent shows and with luck and better game management we could have 8 points from those games.

There was the sad passing of Mandy Cusack, but even then no one expected a collapse like that.
 
i remember the holgate challenge. im 3 rows away & it looked like he got the ball. im giving dogs abuse to the referee

then i saw the replay, i couldn't have been more wrong i joked with person next to me "sit down, shut up, referee was right"
 
Twiss did score the winner against Huddersfield in December 1998, his only Blades goal. Unfortunately I don't think the club did a season review video for that year so it might be lost media. From memory Marcelo missed a penalty (put it wide) and our other goal was an OG, but I can't picture Twiss' goal at all so will just take SheepdipBlade's word for it!

James Thomas v Preston was a year or two later.
Was Alex Notman (Noteman?) our uninspiring Man U loanee at the same time as Thomas.

That three game package led to me getting a half season ticket and then a season ticket that I’ve had ever since
 
It wasn't instant but I saw the Santos 2 footer from the wrong angle and was fully convinced it was a good challenge.

Seeing later on tele...

0wDVOB.gif
 



Think we need an "proved right at a game" thread......it's much easier....

When Burrows' goal was disallowed at Wembley I said to my son, that's it, we've lost.

Whenever Cannon comes on, that's it, down to 10 men

60 mins on the clock, Jairo off/on, Phillips/Rothwell off/on. 80 minutes, change left back

More recently when Kane hit the bar against Spain the other night I said, "we've lost this now"...

see, loads easier....
 
Was Alex Notman (Noteman?) our uninspiring Man U loanee at the same time as Thomas.

That three game package led to me getting a half season ticket and then a season ticket that I’ve had ever since
Norman was Jan-Mar 2000, Thomas was Nov 2000 to May 2001, so they didn't overlap
 
Couple of seasons ago when we beat Oxford, JLT was shaping up for a long throw and I said, we never score from these. Lo and behold I think Campbell flicked it on for O’Hare to score. I said it every time after that but alas it didn’t work 🤣
 
Tony Field v Ipswich (74 I think) gets the ball way out and beats a player.

I shout " Field is xxxing useless - get rid"

He then goes on a mazy run, beats another 3 or 4 players and rolls it past the keeper into the corner.

Everybody around me pissing themselves!
I was in raptures. First ever game. He got 2 that day. First United goal was a Mick Mills OG.
 
Making my way out of a game slowly in the dieing minutes of a game we got a corner at the John Street/KOP side. I think this was in 2005 at the Lane, cannot remember who we were playing.

Michael Tonge was running up to take it, and at this time he had this thing for taking short corners that never worked out. I was a couple of metres away from him thinking "Here we go again with this short corner bollocks" so I shouted "TONGEY! TONGEY! GET IT IN THE BOX" He looked at me when I said Tongey the second time and acknowledged me with a look that was kind of fed up but was like a Oh alright then kind of face. He then looks like he's going to do another short corner, but then whips a good ball into the box and we nearly score. I turn to my mate in amazement that he did that. I remember thinking on the way out if he had whipped balls in the box all match like that we might have got something from that game.
Tonge's default face was 'Oh alright then'. A bit like Harry Maguire. 😅
 
In the 09/10 season, Ipswich at home. We were 3-1 down and looking dreadful, and we brought on Richard fucking Cresswell. Told my dad I was done and walked out, off to meet my girlfriend (now wife, so I think I'm at least partially justified).

While walking up to her house, heard the cheers on the 2 occasions we scored to salvage a 3-3 draw.
Cresswell got 11 goals that season. Best goal threat at that time.
 
Michael Twiss. Anyone remember him?

We had him on loan from Man Utd - another one of those world beating potential signings that ended up in the Conference.

Warnock brought him on in one of the Christmas fixtures - Preston I think. I remember saying to Happy Hippie (RIP) "What's he brought that useless idiot on for?".
One touch later from about thirty yards out and the ball was in the Shoreham net. Absolutely worldie.

He went on to a great career with Morcambe.
Twiss got a late winner v Huddersfield at Lane Christmas period 1998.
 
In the 09/10 season, Ipswich at home. We were 3-1 down and looking dreadful, and we brought on Richard fucking Cresswell. Told my dad I was done and walked out, off to meet my girlfriend (now wife, so I think I'm at least partially justified).

While walking up to her house, heard the cheers on the 2 occasions we scored to salvage a 3-3 draw.

A funny game that.

Ipswich were bottom by a distance. Roy Keane was in charge, but they completely outclassed us.

Everytime we went long, the crowd boo’d. Kyle Walker then decided to take a touch and pass to his man, which was met with ironic applause.

Cresswell came on and was boo’d. I thought as well, enoughs enough. Blackwell’s a clown, and we’ll never progress.

Similar season I envision to the one we’re having now.
 
Think we need an "proved right at a game" thread......it's much easier....

When Burrows' goal was disallowed at Wembley I said to my son, that's it, we've lost.
Said exactly the same.
I was in a bar. I picked up my pint, said 'we'll lose now', and walked outside. Sat down in the sun and waited for the inevitable to happen.
 
this was mine that holgate tackle. im sat 3 rows from it

Great tackle 👏👏👏

Red Card

**** off Ref, he got the ball, (more abuse) & footballs gone. you cant even tackle anymore

saw the replay of the tackle.
378832668111950.webp

Sit down, shut up, the referee was right
 



Just to prove it wasn’t a fluke, didn’t the score twice against Saints, both from distance?

Real shame about him. Bad injury at the wrong time.
He scored screamers v city (h) & scabs (a) too from memory.

That Forest match was special, we won 5-2 and Gannon also scored a cracker with his right foot!!
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom