Stadium Development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We could not get 49k in the 1980s no chance, not even for a Sheffield derby.. first game back in the top flight in 1990. vs Liverpool? 22k..
Who's talking about the 80's and 90's ?
How old are you ?

There are plenty of people on this board that have been in 50,000 + attendances at Bramall Lane

My point is, EVEN IF THE TICKETS WERE FREE, AND THERE WAS SUFFICIENT ROOM FOR THEM, they are incapable of getting that many in the stadium because apart from those that go to games there is virtually ZERO INTEREST FROM ANYONE ELSE.

IN YEARS GONE BY THERE WAS
Hence a dying club

Now which club has more potential, a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium but has a 100 million fan base, or a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium and a fanbase of 30,000

The reason why Man City and Newcastle get massive investment and we get fuck all is not because of the number of fans that come through the gates, but because of the number of fans that can't get in.

Last edited:
Liverpool,watched them evolve on the pitch along with the ground upgrades over the years,,, ground capacity is now up to 59k wonder if they will develop their Kop next.

How old are you ?

There are plenty of people on this board that have been in 50,000 + attendances at Bramall Lane

My point is, EVEN IF THE TICKETS WERE FREE, AND THERE WAS SUFFICIENT ROOM FOR THEM, they are incapable of getting that many in the stadium because apart from those that go to games there is virtually ZERO INTEREST FROM ANYONE ELSE.

Hence a dying club

Now which club has more potential, a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium but has a 100 million fan base, or a club that can only get 30,000 in a stadium and a fanbase of 30,000

The reason why Man City and Newcastle get massive investment and we get fuck all is not because of the number of fans that come through the gates, but because of the number of fans that can't get in.

So, to be clear, stadium development is a non starter? And you give the reasons above.

Yet here, you criticise because we don’t develop

“We can't have stadium redevelopment because that puts the club at risk”

Top trolling :)

How old are you ?

Hence a dying club

You mentioned we could get 49k up to the point of the Hillboro disaster which happend in 1989…..

But your argument that the club fans base is in decline is bollocks you could have made that argument between 1970 to 1990 all football was In decline

But for us since 2003 to today its unarguable that our fan base is growing..

If we had Brighton levels of investment and a 40k ground we could easily get full house of 35k home fans and 5k away fans

You mentioned we could get 49k up to the point of the Hillboro disaster which happend in 1989…..

But your argument that the club fans base is in decline is bollocks you could have made that argument between 1970 to 1990 all football was In decline

But for us since 2003 to today its unarguable that our fan base is growing..

If we had Brighton levels of investment and a 40k ground we could easily get full house of 35k home fans and 5k away fans
I didn't say that. I said the stadium held 49,000 up to the Hillsborough disaster.
It doesn't really matter how many went during the worst 10 year period in our history, the stadium held 49,000.

In days prior to that it held even more, and was occasionally full to the rafters which means that Sheffield United fans did exist, even if waiting for the club to do something special instead of being shit.

Nowadays there are not 49,000 people in the entire region that support Sheffield United.

So maybe our attendance going fanbase has grown since the dark days of Billy McEwan, but our overall fanbase in the city and region has fallen.

We know this because even in the dark days of Billy McEwan, as bad as it was if Sheffield United had somehow managed to get to an FA Cup Semi Final it would have been absolute bedlam trying to get a ticket.
Nowadays were sending 6,000 - 7,000 back.

I didn't say that. I said the stadium held 49,000 up to the Hillsborough disaster.
It doesn't really matter how many went during the worst 10 year period in our history, the stadium held 49,000.

In days prior to that it held even more, and was occasionally full to the rafters which means that Sheffield United fans did exist, even if waiting for the club to do something special instead of being shit.

Nowadays there are not 49,000 people in the entire region that support Sheffield United.

So maybe our attendance going fanbase has grown since the dark days of Billy McEwan, but our overall fanbase in the city and region has fallen.

We know this because even in the dark days of Billy McEwan, as bad as it was if Sheffield United had somehow managed to get to an FA Cup Semi Final it would have been absolute bedlam trying to get a ticket.

Sorry it’s like arguing with MAGA… i give up…

How old are you ?

Hence a dying club

For the big games, it was easy to attend, and there were people like me who went to different grounds when I couldn’t get to away matches. I used to go to Hillsborough to see Spurs, ManU, etc., or to Manchester, Nottingham, etc. Pay at the ground, no ID needed, no football on TV, so plenty of people at say Utd v Spurs would not in any way be Unitedites. It is very difficult for anyone to do that now. And a good number of people now support United and watch them on TV.

So, to be clear, stadium development is a non starter? And you give the reasons above.

Yet here, you criticise because we don’t develop

“We can't have stadium redevelopment because that puts the club at risk”

Top trolling :)

Yes, everything puts a club at risk. We know that because our fans say so, they can't think any further than that.

And as the years go by and football continues its x factor style direction, and Bramall Lane becomes 26,000 capacity, then 24,000, then 20,000 some smart arse will talk about us not needing a 35,000 stadium because never in his life has he seen such attendances.

For the big games, it was easy to attend, and there were people like me who went to different grounds when I couldn’t get to away matches. I used to go to Hillsborough to see Spurs, ManU, etc., or to Manchester, Nottingham, etc. Pay at the ground, no ID needed, no football on TV, so plenty of people at say Utd v Spurs would not in any way be Unitedites. It is very difficult for anyone to do that now. And a good number of people now support United and watch them on TV.
Yes, it was easier to get in the stadium because you just walked in, the club should try that for our remaining games this season.
Those tickets that don't get sold for our next game, give them away for free on the Saturday morning and see how many takers there are.

Yes, it was easier to get in the stadium because you just walked in, the club should try that for our remaining games this season.
Those tickets that don't get sold for our next game, give them away for free on the Saturday morning and see how many takers there are.
Surely for some games people would wait until the last minute in the hope of getting in free, which would reduce income and annoy those who have paid. Another thing to bear in mind is the mobility of population. Lots of people move away, lots of students come to Sheffield. You can’t just rely on lifelong sheffielders

Yes, everything puts a club at risk. We know that because our fans say so, they can't think any further than that.

And as the years go by and football continues its x factor style direction, and Bramall Lane becomes 26,000 capacity, then 24,000, then 20,000 some smart arse will talk about us not needing a 35,000 stadium because never in his life has he seen such attendances.

What l do know is you make shit up.

wtf-what-the-fuck.gif

We can always build up!

Just means the houses will get no daylight from the back.

More fool them for not considering this if they do use the land for that!
These flats were only ever going to happen whilst the McCabes were in charge at the lane. These pockets of land (especially John/Shoreham street corner) will never be built on as long as the club has the right to object. You’d like to think United wouldn’t allow non football related developments to be built on the Bramall Lane footprint, if they weren’t gonna benefit from it.

Hopefully the club buys the land. As others have said, anything then built on either site thereafter could raise complications over increasing the height of the Kop/access issues.

I still can't see how flats would work on the corner of John Street.
Jesus! Have you seen the original plans?

Plus they'll get no quiet with The Shoreham Roar on match days and Blades fans running around their gardens and entrances going to the game.
I wouldn't worry too much they'd be used as student accommodation

Wasn't it revealed that during one of our PL seasons (either 2006-7 or 2019-20) that there were more than 70k or 100k different purchasers of home tickets? I can't remember the actual figure, but it was far in excess of our capacity.

Yes, there would be a few fans from other teams buying tickets in the home end, as we have all done at other teams, but not to the extent that the figure would be 3 times our capacity.

With a new stadium and PL football we'd easily attract 40k week in week out.

Also, I don't get this bollocks about giving more tickets to away fans. Every prem team give 3k. No more, as that's the requirement. It would never benefit us to give more in the PL, as the offer would not be reciprocated and the financial gain minimal.

The Warnock years grew our fan base MASSIVELY 😉
I started going regularly to BDTBL in the mid 70s and football as changed a lot since then.
A 40k stadium would be filled regularly if we could maintain a Premiership presence, and there is the issue.
With the correct ticket pricing, marketing, family packages, growth of a young fan base, flexible distribution of tickets between home and away fans depending on the "attractiveness" of the opposition, a 40k stadium would be well utilised.

Last edited:
The Warnock years grew our fan base MASSIVELY 😉
I started going regularly to BDTBL in the mid 70s and football as changed a lot since then.
A 40k stadium would be filled regularly if we could maintain a Premiership presence, and there is the issue.
With the correct ticket pricing, marketing, family packages, growth of a young fan base, flexible distribution of tickets between home and away fans depending on the "attractiveness" of the opposition, a 40k stadium would be well utilised.
I reckon Mccabe has finally got fed up having a white elephant within scarborough group ! Now selling to get rid.
Can't see the land being of any real value to him or a prospective developer.
Only company to get real value from the sites has to the Blades
Maybe his spitefulness to the Prince has tempered ,so selling this white elephant. Cut his losses.

Average attendances are higher.
But if someone overnight redeveloped Bramall Lane and increased it's capacity to 49,000 as it was up to the Hillsborough disaster we wouldn't fill it even if the tickets were free.

We could back then, not as an average over a season, but for a one off game we could drag in those sort of attendances and bigger, suggesting that the overall fanbase was there even if they didn't always go to games.

Now we can't get that many because those fans looking on from the outside don't exist. And if they do, where were they at Wembley ? Even Luton sold 40,000

You could use the same statistics by saying Liverpool's attendances over much of the last 10 years prior to stadium redevelopment are not as high as they were in the 1970's and 80's, so therefore they are shrinking as a club.
We don't need the lane to be 49,000.
We don't really need it to be 40,000.

Just like Wednesday don't need Hillsborough to be 39,000.

But we could expand the ground to 36-37,000 and add more corporate hospitality in there and it would be of benefit.

You are also forgetting that we usually only give away fans 3,000 seats. This could be upped to more. If the police did a better job they could do upper tier as well and us in the corner. Or another arrangement.

We've also seen more sell outs this season despite us having a largely dreadful season. Had we done better would likely have seen more. In the premier league too your also likely to get general attendees who just want to watch a premier league match.

Like others have said we've gained overall support who go regularly.

We don't need the lane to be 49,000.
We don't really need it to be 40,000.

Just like Wednesday don't need Hillsborough to be 39,000.

But we could expand the ground to 36-37,000 and add more corporate hospitality in there and it would be of benefit.

You are also forgetting that we usually only give away fans 3,000 seats. This could be upped to more. If the police did a better job they could do upper tier as well and us in the corner. Or another arrangement.

We've also seen more sell outs this season despite us having a largely dreadful season. Had we done better would likely have seen more. In the premier league too your also likely to get general attendees who just want to watch a premier league match.

Like others have said we've gained overall support who go regularly.

That’s the bigger issue, limited corporate facilities. It’s where the big money is made and the reason clubs invest in new stadiums.

It would be nice if investment in this area helped improve the facilities for us in the cheap seats, but I can’t see it ever happening.

Jesus! Have you seen the original plans?
Yes…and?

The key part of your question being “original”. As in the plans that the club would be doing both developments simultaneously. That’s no longer the case.

Last edited:

Think there over 60k registered on the customer list at sufc ,but leave attendances to the midweek FC .

We have the potential to fill a 40,000 stadium. (35,000 Blades, 5,000 away support)

To achieve this we need to make the football on the pitch more consistently successful and attractive.

We cannot yo-yo between the Championship and the Premier league. We need to become an established top end of the Premier league table.

In addition we need to offer an attractive style of football. I realise that it was another era but when we were promoted in 1971 and went on an amazing run at the beginning of the following season we were attracting 40,000 for a number of games (no real home comforts in a 3 sided ground). The football we played was attractive & attacking. The media loved us.

I've spoken to fans of other clubs who came to the Lane during that period who said they came to see Tony Currie.

We just don't have an owner who can put together a business plan that can guarantee a top end of the Premier league position on a consistent basis.
Similarly we don't play an attractive style of football or possess a player that will entice those stay at home fans to become spectators.

Back
Top Bottom