Nigel Clough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could Nigel Clough be worth considering, he'd get respect from the players and wouldn't stand for anything less than full commitment.
Nigel Clough is well liked by players, chiefly because everyone does what the hell they want.

Terrible idea.

Well that seems pretty conclusive, I only asked 🙄. , when he was here before we did well, does anyone know why the Board didn't keep him?

I hope the mods unban Ricky just so we can see his reaction 😆 😆 😆 😆

Well that seems pretty conclusive, I only asked 🙄. , when he was here before we did well, does anyone know why the Board didn't keep him?
Because having spent a small fortune on injured drunken crap for little gain, whilst ignoring the transfer policy given to him in the process, he wanted 7 more expensive players.

Wasn't there a falling out over the players he wanted to bring in?
Specifically Shaun Barker, who hadn't played for approx. 3 seasons.

when he was here before we did well, does anyone know why the Board didn't keep him?

2 cup semi finals and 7th in the league as I remember

Clough was perfect for us in his first season, because we were the underdogs, teams expected to beat us and came out attacking. We were staring at relegation to League 2 and he employed a quick counter-attacking game.
That worked and it got us to the brink of the play offs and the FA Cup Semi. He really did set his team up like it was a cup game - don't lose and try to nick one.

His 2nd season, we were no longer underdogs, we were back up as favourites for promotion and the football turned dire.
Teams were sitting back (particularly at home) and he couldn't break them down. Again, the cup run was the best football he managed - because teams were attacking us.

He probably would do well this season as the underdog, but not a long-term appointment, so what's the point?

Just look at his record anywhere he's been, starts off great then ends up going backwards/nowhere.

Burton:
Dr Martens 2nd
Unibond 1st
Conference - 16th, 14th, 16th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 1st, left for Derby

Derby:
Champ - 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, sacked

SUFC:
L1 - 7th, 5th, sacked

Burton:
L1 - 2nd (Hasselbaink) Burton were 5 points clear at the top in December when Clough took over.
Champ - 21st, 23rd (relegated)
L1 - 9th, 12th, parted company mutually

Mansfield:
L2 - 16th, 7th, 8th, 3rd*
*as it stands

He's a lower league manager. Done well at Burton and seems to be progressing at Mansfield. He's managed 2 big clubs in Derby and United and failed at both.

Utd are obviously struggling at the mo but I can't see how getting the Derby County 2014 squad back together (again) will improve matters

No, Boring football under Brian's lad, might as well wait till Atkins gets the sack, again!

He’s instigated more draws than John Wayne and Clint Eastwood combined. Between him and Hecky at the minute, like choosing between a shit sandwich or shit on toast.

I was talking to a Hibs pall last week. He reckons Monty could be very good. He’s trying new ideas at Hibs which are taking a while to work. I did say, Hibs is just a stepping stone before Monty joins us.

Back
Top Bottom