Whos going to make the step up?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who is going to make the step up

• Osborn

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Robinson

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • Coulibaly

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Jebbo

Votes: 96 46.8%
  • Osula

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • Sachdev

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

Dave

Reaction score
As we all know, Lundstrum made a huge step up the last time we were back in the PL (first season). He started well in pre season, giving us something different that he hadnt shown us before. This carried on into the first half of the season where arguably he was one of the first names on the teamsheet every week.

Do we think anyone has the ability to make that same step up as Lunny did?

Iv always been a fan on Osborn. Maybe because he reminds me of Monty. Works hard, never gives up, gives his all but never really has the quality.

When players do stamp their authority and make the step up, it is like having a new signing.

As we all know, Lundstrum made a huge step up the last time we were back in the PL (first season). He started well in pre season, giving us something different that he hadnt shown us before. This carried on into the first half of the season where arguably he was one of the first names on the teamsheet every week.

Do we think anyone has the ability to make that same step up as Lunny did?

Iv always been a fan on Osborn. Maybe because he reminds me of Monty. Works hard, never gives up, gives his all but never really has the quality.

When players do stamp their authority and make the step up, it is like having a new signing.

No option for Neal? With a bit of time he could really grow into the quarter back role... Taking the ball from defense and transitioning us into attack.

Think he was the pick of the youngsters for me

No option for Neal? With a bit of time he could really grow into the quarter back role... Taking the ball from defense and transitioning us into attack.

Fair comment, didnt include him because i don't think hes anywhere near the first team as of yet. Good load spell last season playing real football in the NL however a loan is more likely than being included in the squad this season IMO.

As mentioned elsewhere, all our academy players look comfortable on the ball and are technically good. This is credit to the coaching staff and youth recruitment for finding players like that who we can train and teach how to play our style.

Was Neal number 20 yesterday?

Neal did ok but I think his progress will stall mainly due to a lack of pace. He'll certainly play league football though - just unsure whether it'll be with us.

I thought Sachdev looked good yesterday but he has two players in Baldock and Bogle who he's gonna find it tough to muscle out anytime soon. Hopefully he can go out on loan this year.

I think realistically you're hoping that one of Jebbison and Osula can make the step up. Physically they're the closest to looking able to do so.

Hard to say after only seeing them for 45mins. Marsh looked comfortable taking the ball and turning, very much a brooks type of player, just very difficult seeing him come stright in without a loan first.
Berge should now have a season in the Norwood role, so comfortable playing there.

Neal did ok but I think his progress will stall mainly due to a lack of pace. He'll certainly play league football though - just unsure whether it'll be with us.

I thought Sachdev looked good yesterday but he has two players in Baldock and Bogle who he's gonna find it tough to muscle out anytime soon. Hopefully he can go out on loan this year.

I think realistically you're hoping that one of Jebbison and Osula can make the step up. Physically they're the closest to looking able to do so.
Sachdev played very smartly yesterday. Can tell hes been with the England set up for a bit with his touch and the way he created space. Yes two brilliant players in front of him but 100% one who can make the first team again in the future.

Osula for me.
Such a handful.
Powerful, confident and direct (almost to a fault).
His flaws or glaring but we need to appreciate that he's trying his best to break into an ever improving squad in a very cut throat position.
He's probably trying a little too hard, and his desire to succeed is probably hampering his style and decision making.

If yesterday is anything to base any solid judgment on, Will Osula has many of the attributes needed to progress to the next level. He makes good runs and positions himself very well.

But he really needs to cultivate that ruthless instinct when through on goal. He could easily have had a hatful in the first half yesterday had he just been less hesitant and more composed.

Fortunately, that's a problem that can be remedied with experience.

If Osborn can play like he did yesterday every week then he could. JLT is becoming more reliable and solid. He will never be a Basham, Anel or O'Connell in marauding forward, but he'll be safety first in defence in clearing it out of danger. I'd love Jebbo to become the break out as it's been two seasons and a bit since that debut goal and he needs to show Hecky why he is so highly rated.

Osula for me.
Such a handful.
Powerful, confident and direct (almost to a fault).
His flaws or glaring but we need to appreciate that he's trying his best to break into an ever improving squad in a very cut throat position.
He's probably trying a little too hard, and his desire to succeed is probably hampering his style and decision making.

Tough one between Jebbo and Osula.

Osula stronger and faster than Jebbo, but Jebbo technically better and smarter football sense.

Can we merge them together? Jebbosula!

(Both need to work on their composure in front of goal however)

If Osborn can play like he did yesterday every week then he could. JLT is becoming more reliable and solid. He will never be a Basham, Anel or O'Connell in marauding forward, but he'll be safety first in defence in clearing it out of danger. I'd love Jebbo to become the break out as it's been two seasons and a bit since that debut goal and he needs to show Hecky why he is so highly rated.

Do you remember who set up Jebbos debut goal by marauding forwarding and jinking past players in the box .. 😉

Sachdev played very smartly yesterday. Can tell hes been with the England set up for a bit with his touch and the way he created space. Yes two brilliant players in front of him but 100% one who can make the first team again in the future.
Genuine question
Do you think, in the week here, three days there, spells players spend in an England Youth Camp, the FA Coaches work on technical skills like touch & space?
Surely it's the other way around, because Sai himself and his SUFC Coaches have spent years 24/7 working on touch and space, he has come to the attention of the England Youth system.

Tough one between Jebbo and Osula.

Osula stronger and faster than Jebbo, but Jebbo technically better and smarter football sense.

Can we merge them together? Jebbosula!

(Both need to work on their composure in front of goal however)
I suppose it applies to them both. I wouldn't necessarily say Jebbo is more technical, I think Osula just looks more awkward with his movements either. Composure for both infront of goal is obviously the big part.

At his best (that we've currently seen him anyway) Jebbo does seem more advanced or ahead with his progression but I love how Osula makes his own chances. Bursts into life and almost always gets a shot off.

They are both works in progress, I suppose the big question is, how will they improve the most this season?
Under Jack and Hecky with limited games time, or with someone else, getting more games but possibly less effort put into them as they aren't their player.

Genuine question
Do you think, in the week here, three days there, spells players spend in an England Youth Camp, the FA Coaches work on technical skills like touch & space?
Surely it's the other way around, because Sai himself and his SUFC Coaches have spent years 24/7 working on touch and space, he has come to the attention of the England Youth system.
From countless interviews iv read and watched (podcasts included), players always state the difference between club and international level is always everyones first touch and how they create their own space. 99% of his training is down to our coaches. However, him being in the England Youth set up exposes him to players of a better standard where he needs to step up and be on his game every single session. Thus reiterating the importance of touch etc. This to me was evident yesterday as his touch and space creation was the best out of all the youth players (Osula not included as he has had exposure at first team level for more than just 1 start vs stoke due to an injury crisis).

Long winded answer but yes, they may not train first touch and space creation in the couple of seasions they have at England Youth, but being their means that these two attributes have to be the best to compete with everyone else.

Not sure Robbo can have what the others can in terms of a break through season, fuckin 30 in September 😂

JLT is as good as a corner, and set pieces will be important
As will his one a game hatchet challenges that get the crowd up and oppo nervous

Ozzy is also an experienced player who will fill holes

For me we need Jebbo to step up, we will be pinned in some games with 25% possession and need an outlet for Egan to launch it up, his pace and direct approach could be the release ball

Needs to be 100 mile an hour to get there then have the composure to slow it down and pick a spot
Osula looks good but is 12-18 months behind imo

From countless interviews iv read and watched (podcasts included), players always state the difference between club and international level is always everyones first touch and how they create their own space. 99% of his training is down to our coaches. However, him being in the England Youth set up exposes him to players of a better standard where he needs to step up and be on his game every single session. Thus reiterating the importance of touch etc. This to me was evident yesterday as his touch and space creation was the best out of all the youth players (Osula not included as he has had exposure at first team level for more than just 1 start vs stoke due to an injury crisis).

Long winded answer but yes, they may not train first touch and space creation in the couple of seasions they have at England Youth, but being their means that these two attributes have to be the best to compete with everyone else.
Sai is in the cohort that will contest the 2024 UEFA U19 EUROs and the 2025 FIFA U20 World Cup. Up to now, his international career has mainly been in the U18s, an age group with no UEFA or FIFA tournaments. This season's U19 cohort didn't even qualify for the EUROs (the final is today actually).

So, Sai's cohort will begin their U19 EUROs qualifying in mid October in a group with Austria, Wales & Montenegro (where the games will be played). That's his opportunity to kick on at that level.

Sai is in the cohort that will contest the 2024 UEFA U19 EUROs and the 2025 FIFA U20 World Cup. Up to now, his international career has mainly been in the U18s, an age group with no UEFA or FIFA tournaments. This season's U19 cohort didn't even qualify for the EUROs (the final is today actually).

So, Sai's cohort will begin their U19 EUROs qualifying in mid October in a group with Austria, Wales & Montenegro (where the games will be played). That's his opportunity to kick on at that level.
I never get that interested in lower England levels. Ian Ross and Jonathan Forte both played for England under 19s. Until they get to England under 21s you've not got a top player on your books.

Jump from L2 to Prem? Don’t think so

I voted for Jebbison. It's between him Osula, for me.

Robinson and Osborn are both perfectly acceptable squad players for us in the Premier League. I wouldn't want either to start a lot of games but I trust they will do a job when called upon. If either are regular starters they will have some games where they do well and more games where they don't look good enough.

Neal and Sachdev are nowhere near and I don't think Neal ever will be. I'm not convinced Coulibaly has a future at the club.

So, it's between the two young strikers. Going on the limited information I have in terms of the minutes I've seen them play, I think Jebbison is the better player and has the higher ceiling. I do wonder why he hasn't seemed to kick on a great deal since his loan at Burton: part of that is the circumstances at the club, the unfortunate recall in January last year, and the lack of game time he got afterwards. But I also wonder if there's a slight question mark over his mentality. I could easily be miles off on that.

Osula seems (and, again, I'm not going off much evidence here--haven't seen that much of him) to be much more raw. Perhaps quicker and stronger than Jebbison, possibly less technically gifted. He seems like a very determined young man--I love the way he just puts his head down and runs straight at goal whenever he gets the ball. He needs to learn to look up but he wants to score goals and that's a great instinct. I can see why some prefer him to Jebbison.

In an ideal world, both Jebbo and Osula would get good Championship loans next season and one or both would have a Cam Archer-style breakthrough, showing they're ready to play at a higher level. Realistically we might need to keep one or both around with us. If it's one, I think it should be Jebbo.

Genuine question
I’d read the OP as “you can tell he’s good enough for the England setup” and not that they’ve taught him everything he knows.

Won’t be this season.

But Osula has an awful lot of the raw ingredients you would want to see at his age.

Needs a L1 loan move (Derby again?) to further develop his craft.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom