GCB at Wembley

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FriethBlade

Reaction score
With the number of fans we have at Wembley the GCB has always been a bit of a let down as its never had everyone sing it at the same time. It starts in one area then when it spreads its nearly all over.

What about everyone using the kick off as the prompt to start it. As soon as the ball is kicked everyone sings? Very unlikely we beat City on the pitch but we can beat them in the stands.

I think we need a songs refresh. I absolutely love Shoreham Boys when it starts up. But the misogynistic and frankly juvenile last two lines are quite embarrassing.,,and we know it. I also think GCB probably needs an extra verse or two that we can pull out the bag for special occasions, like Wembley visits etc.
Unfortunately, most of our very best songs are either about players or managers, and sadly they either leave, get injured or start being crap.

With the number of fans we have at Wembley the GCB has always been a bit of a let down as its never had everyone sing it at the same time. It starts in one area then when it spreads its nearly all over.

What about everyone using the kick off as the prompt to start it. As soon as the ball is kicked everyone sings? Very unlikely we beat City on the pitch but we can beat them in the stands.
Can I take you back 9 years FB….. wont happen

I think we need a songs refresh. I absolutely love Shoreham Boys when it starts up. But the misogynistic and frankly juvenile last two lines are quite embarrassing.,,and we know it. I also think GCB probably needs an extra verse or two that we can pull out the bag for special occasions, like Wembley visits etc.
Unfortunately, most of our very best songs are either about players or managers, and sadly they either leave, get injured or start being crap.
misogynist to shag women?
Oh what a world.

I think it’s more the inference in the song that the sole purpose of women is to be “shagged” by men. I agree with the original poster, it is embarrassing and not at all inclusive or suitable for 2023.
Inclusive? Are we just throwing out buzz words?
The song is about marching into a town and taking over. Stealing someone's 'woman' isn't right, but the only offence meant by it here is towards to the man who supports the opposition.
I'm sure consensually pulling the local lasses doesn't seem that stone age to most 20 year old lads.

Daft, but is the atmosphere in Wembley being disjointed because of its size? Sound travels at 343m/s.

The pitch is 104x68m. Plus distance to the backs of stands is at least a further 50. Fag pack arithmetic makes the diagonal almost 200m, causing a sound delay of about 0.6s. Stands to reason that any chants would be tricky to sustain across 2 stands as the delay makes it impossible to time

Daft, but is the atmosphere in Wembley being disjointed because of its size? Sound travels at 343m/s.

The pitch is 104x68m. Plus distance to the backs of stands is at least a further 50. Fag pack arithmetic makes the diagonal almost 200m, causing a sound delay of about 0.6s. Stands to reason that any chants would be tricky to sustain across 2 stands as the delay makes it impossible to time
I was musing over this a few minutes before I saw your post and like you. realise the problem arises because of the speed of sound. The only chance GCB would approximate to sounding Ok is if it starts in the middle behind the goal and people join in immediately. Even then there would be some time delay, but if GCB starts in he North stand by the time south stand hear it and join in it will sound disjointed to anyone watching on TV

We need someone with a big portable speaker (somehow hidden) to play the intro to annies song

What about singing some old Ronnie sharp songs of his cd but I bet we would get thrown out

I'm doing nothing without Ricky's say so!!!
You can't just go round, starting singing groups and the like, you have to be properly equipped for that!

“Singing groups,” I love it. Got visions of little groups of Blades singing a cappella under a street light on the Wybourn.
Used to happen…….I can remember being a member when I was a young un, my favourite was ….’you can go but be back soon’, always started by the guy with the straggly beard😉

Back
Top Bottom