Uefa Women's Euro 2022 at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Only thing thst annoyed me with that moment was when gabby said "who you gonna take are you gonna take your mum or your gran well anyone you like" or words to that effect what about dad

It is easy to be sentimental about the good old days. Looking at film of games from the 50s/60s in many respects makes me squirm (the grounds, the pitches, lack of athleticism, etc), but I am with you 100% on the atmosphere. Those under age of 50(?) have no idea what they are missing in terms of being to mingle with opposition fans without fear of it turning ugly. I followed Utd all over the country from the age of about 10 into my teens, and the pleasure of mingling with other fans before, during and after the games was an integral part of the sport; that included going on the Kop at Hillsborough. The sad thing is that we now just accept that crowds have to be segregated. The women’s Euros have shown it does not have to be thus.
There was a time when I stood at the Bramall Lane end below the Stand and generally was surrounded by the away team supporters.There was never any trouble even when I was cheering after United scored.

It is easy to be sentimental about the good old days. Looking at film of games from the 50s/60s in many respects makes me squirm (the grounds, the pitches, lack of athleticism, etc), but I am with you 100% on the atmosphere. Those under age of 50(?) have no idea what they are missing in terms of being to mingle with opposition fans without fear of it turning ugly. I followed Utd all over the country from the age of about 10 into my teens, and the pleasure of mingling with other fans before, during and after the games was an integral part of the sport; that included going on the Kop at Hillsborough. The sad thing is that we now just accept that crowds have to be segregated. The women’s Euros have shown it does not have to be thus.

Have to admit that the best games I have been at have been where I have felt I can roam freely without looking over my shoulder when away (yes Portsmouth, you cunts are the worst) and when I see away fans quietly but enjoyably mixing without fear in the surrounding areas of BDTBL. But much of the antagonism comes from primal, tribal instincts almost entirely set in the brains of younger (or refusing to grow up) male supporters. And I'll admit, I have at some rare times, ran with the pack on that one (buddies of mine moreso) It's doubtful that this will suddenly bleach its way from the innards of these cockends overnight either. Hooliganism is endemic, and somewhat generationally passed down. There are now third-generation H Blockers, many of them sitting in the same seats and making the same gestures (when not banned or inside) and this isn't just our club either.

pommpey

It would be interesting to know who at the Lane had first pushed for United to put forward BDTBL as a venue for this competition.

Whoever it was, it was one of the best ideas for many, many a year for both us and the city.

Good point.
I remember when I first heard about us being used as a venue.
I was dreading that our ground would be too big and our stadium would look small time lacking atmosphere with only 10K inside it for the early matches.
Never thought that the media (BBC) would go on such a massive promotion campaign to raise it's profile so it becomes much more popular.
Also the standard has improved massively, the top teams plays some really good football, thought the other semi Germany v France was a good standard too.

Last edited:
Had this dream /nightmayor thingy last night, it was about the football league cutting down on the number of matchers in a season in order to create a ladies league in an extended summer closed season period .
But don't panic lads because at the same time in my dream the FA and the powers that be in Europe created a super league of the top finishing European clubs to run at the same time..
Of cause it can't happen can it, not unless the league increase the number of subs again so the top clubs could use all the players they have on their books,,,

:rolleyes:

Have to admit that the best games I have been at have been where I have felt I can roam freely without looking over my shoulder when away (yes Portsmouth, you cunts are the worst) and when I see away fans quietly but enjoyably mixing without fear in the surrounding areas of BDTBL. But much of the antagonism comes from primal, tribal instincts almost entirely set in the brains of younger (or refusing to grow up) male supporters. And I'll admit, I have at some rare times, ran with the pack on that one (buddies of mine moreso) It's doubtful that this will suddenly bleach its way from the innards of these cockends overnight either. Hooliganism is endemic, and somewhat generationally passed down. There are now third-generation H Blockers, many of them sitting in the same seats and making the same gestures (when not banned or inside) and this isn't just our club either.

pommpey

pommpey
It’s the old nature or nurture debate. We are tribal, but we are also social beings. Sport and violence seem to go together often, but it is not inevitable. Rugby may be violent on the pitch, but both League and Union are devoid of crowd trouble. Football has had periods of crowd violence, and other periods of non-violence. Post-war was non-violent, which I can confirm from personal experience from my teens in the late 50s/early 60s. Bad behaviour has been the norm for at least 50 years now in the UK, but at least the women’s Euros have reminded us that football doesn’t have to be like that.

Bad behaviour has been the norm for at least 50 years now in the UK, but at least the women’s Euros have reminded us that football doesn’t have to be like that.
Good point and I'm not sure where I stand.

Men's football is easily the most passionate sport in the world.
In some cases it's more than a sport and very tribal. When I watch United I often don't enjoy it because it's too tense and nerve racking, with ups and downs.
However that experience of total involvement being immersed in the game is very addictive.
It depends on how we win or lose but when we win I enjoy my weekends, when we lose (especially last minute goals) it really spoils my weekends.

There isn't the same passion amongst the fans in the women's game, it's just a game, you win some you lose some.
I watched England with a few people, we all wanted England to win, but none of us were nervous because the result wasn't massively important.
However as daft as it sounds we all enjoyed the game like going to the cinema to watch a really good film, in some ways more enjoyable than watching United.

It did make me think whether I should re-set and emotionally detach myself more from my club.
Then re-attach at a lower (more normal) level, maybe it would be less painful and I'd enjoy watching United more consistently.
However to be honest it's that tribal immersive culture that makes it so special, lose that and it's not the same.

Last edited:
It’s the old nature or nurture debate. We are tribal, but we are also social beings. Sport and violence seem to go together often, but it is not inevitable. Rugby may be violent on the pitch, but both League and Union are devoid of crowd trouble. Football has had periods of crowd violence, and other periods of non-violence. Post-war was non-violent, which I can confirm from personal experience from my teens in the late 50s/early 60s. Bad behaviour has been the norm for at least 50 years now in the UK, but at least the women’s Euros have reminded us that football doesn’t have to be like that.

All sport is Gladitorial. Even Bowls and Darts. But whereas in both disciplines of Rugby, the combat goes on down on the grass, the rules of Association Football forbid higher levels of physical contact. Rugby fans go to watch the potential for violence happening down on the pitch with the likes of hash tackles and dispossessions and the heat of the scrummage. Nothing like that exists in Association Football so the whole chauvinistic brutality is transferred wholesale onto the terraces, whilst their heroes roll around like fucking wankers having been grazed by a shinpad in a tackle. That opprobrium is also transferred onto the officials for failing to give a favourable decision, whereas in Rugby, the ref has total control over both the game and it's contributors. Yeah, I'm looking at you, McBurnie. And then even further, The gladiatorial match may take place over eighty hard fought minutes on a Rugby pitch but at the end ... both teams cease hostilities to both the opposition and officials and chalk it down to either who was best or who was worst, with lessons to bring into next weeks training session. No Warnock making snide remarks about the officials. No approaching the ref at the full time whistle. It's 'just a game', to be won if possible, to be lost but with dignity

pommpey

Agree, I’ve never understood it. I also watch a fair bit of rugby at Exeter Chiefs. Loads of ale on sale inside the ground but never anything other than banter. I find the menacing atmosphere at football grounds pathetic. Don’t know what the answer is, just find the whole thing somewhat sad.

All sport is Gladitorial. Even Bowls and Darts. But whereas in both disciplines of Rugby, the combat goes on down on the grass, the rules of Association Football forbid higher levels of physical contact. Rugby fans go to watch the potential for violence happening down on the pitch with the likes of hash tackles and dispossessions and the heat of the scrummage. Nothing like that exists in Association Football so the whole chauvinistic brutality is transferred wholesale onto the terraces, whilst their heroes roll around like fucking wankers having been grazed by a shinpad in a tackle. That opprobrium is also transferred onto the officials for failing to give a favourable decision, whereas in Rugby, the ref has total control over both the game and it's contributors. Yeah, I'm looking at you, McBurnie. And then even further, The gladiatorial match may take place over eighty hard fought minutes on a Rugby pitch but at the end ... both teams cease hostilities to both the opposition and officials and chalk it down to either who was best or who was worst, with lessons to bring into next weeks training session. No Warnock making snide remarks about the officials. No approaching the ref at the full time whistle. It's 'just a game', to be won if possible, to be lost but with dignity

pommpey
Beautifully put Pomps - dignity.

Agree, I’ve never understood it. I also watch a fair bit of rugby at Exeter Chiefs. Loads of ale on sale inside the ground but never anything other than banter. I find the menacing atmosphere at football grounds pathetic. Don’t know what the answer is, just find the whole thing somewhat sad.
I have family that live in Plymouth and when they come to family events in Sheffield they always comment that this city is obsessed with football and there's constant arguments about United and Wednesday winding each other up. When I go to Plymouth they like their football but it's not excessive or so important.

Often wondered whether living in a 2 club city effects fan mentality and makes more tribal.
Regards my experience I've constantly received Blades- Owls banter from school kids and work colleagues. So I've been effected by and weened on tribalism

Football is easily the most passionate sport in the world, it's extremely tribal.
There's an edginess, extreme emotion, potential heartbreak and potentially fantastic extreme joy.

This fan culture of men's football is it's strength but it sails close to the edge and sometimes boils over towards being unacceptable.
Pompey mentions a good point that it's not just poor fan behaviour, but players and even managers constantly disrespecting the referees (when they lose).

However I've often thought fan behaviour at football matches is more of a release.
Some people have internal frustrations, anger and regrets.
When they go to matches they shout abuse ay anyone (usually the ref) and it releases the pressure that has built up.

On first inspection the atmosphere the womens football matches is more in line with a Harry Styles pop concert.
It's just not football and the womens football culture reminds me of the old style US Soccer fan culture.
When a goal is scored, fans put up placards with the words "GOAL". In some ways I hate the woke, respectful watered down family culture at matches.
it's so far away from my experience in the 80's. However it does make you wonder if the mens game can learn something from the womens game.
Will be interesting to see how both mens and women's game evolves.

I have family that live in Plymouth and when they come to family events in Sheffield they always comment that this city is obsessed with football and there's constant arguments about United and Wednesday winding each other up. When I go to Plymouth they like their football but it's not excessive or so important.

Often wondered whether living in a 2 club city effects fan mentality and makes more tribal.
Regards my experience I've constantly received Blades- Owls banter from school kids and work colleagues. So I've been effected by and weened on tribalism

Football is easily the most passionate sport in the world, it's extremely tribal.
There's an edginess, extreme emotion, potential heartbreak and potentially fantastic extreme joy.

This fan culture of men's football is it's strength but it sails close to the edge and sometimes boils over towards being unacceptable.
Pompey mentions a good point that it's not just poor fan behaviour, but players and even managers constantly disrespecting the referees (when they lose).

However I've often thought fan behaviour at football matches is more of a release.
When they go to matches they shout abuse ay anyone (usually the ref) and it releases the pressure that has built up.

On first inspection the atmosphere the womens football matches is more in line with a Harry Styles pop concert.
It's just not football and the womens football culture reminds me of the old style US Soccer fan culture.
When a goal is scored, fans put up placards with the words "GOAL". In some ways I hate the woke, respectful watered down family culture at matches.
it's so far away from my experience in the 80's. However it does make you wonder if the mens game can learn something from the womens game.
I find you see more people in football shirts in a one-club city. Not likely to cause anyone a problem. There's also a greater unity and often unchecked stupidity, as well. Newcastle is a case in point. You see all ages in Newcastle stuff. Wearing a kit here, outside of the game or playing football, is likely to get an adult at least a few comments.

Having two clubs means that most fans of both seem as obsessed by doing better than the other as success. Single club cities seem more obsessed with themselves and unchecked claims of greatness.

The atmosphere at the games at BL this summer as surpassed that of the men's game. Far more inclusive, more supportive rather than negative or rude. No bad language in front of kids, no drunk wankers throwing up or falling over, and no smackhead little cunts acting the big un.

Only thing thst annoyed me with that moment was when gabby said "who you gonna take are you gonna take your mum or your gran well anyone you like" or words to that effect what about dad
Well her dad played for the dirties under Don Revie so he knows fuck all about football.

I've never been that bothered about the womens game but really got into this tournament and have really enjoyed it, I might even get a season ticket for the United Ladies now.

Super proud that we've been a big part of it too so well done to Sheffield United for wanting to get involved when a lot of other clubs weren't interested.

Congratulations England, ignore the dinosaurs, you've done us proud.

With the Lionesses beating Germany (WELL DONE ENGLAND) any chance the departing PM (Boris) will be making tomorrow a BH so Lionesses can celebrate, and we don't have to go to work

It was requested last week and rejected. There was a campaign about it.

On my way back, obviously delighted with the result but got to say preferred the semi final, more intimate and exciting, despite my good seat today. Perhaps I'm being biased, but made up for the thousands of young kids and families there who will have memories for a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom