I reckon we’d have got pasted next season in the Prem

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ReeceofBDTBL

Reaction score
Doesn’t change that the big thing for me was to finally see us win the play offs, win a big match and finally get our day in the sun.

In my lifetime Uniteds had 9 play off campaigns and 6 cup semi finals. Not won a single one. Not to mention the last day joy against Chelsea and Wigan.

Could be a good thing to build a proper foundation next season and get promoted, and I’m sorry for being negative but I’m just so sick of waiting for that big win. Heroic failures are scant consolation

UTB

Get used to it that's what being a Blade entails or go support Liverpool or Man City.

Doesn’t change that the big thing for me was to finally see us win the play offs, win a big match and finally get our day in the sun.

In my lifetime Uniteds had 9 play off campaigns and 6 cup semi finals. Not won a single one. Not to mention the last day joy against Chelsea and Wigan.

Could be a good thing to build a proper foundation next season and get promoted, and I’m sorry for being negative but I’m just so sick of waiting for that big win. Heroic failures are scant consolation

UTB
I agree mate we never seem to be able to take that extra step up. Yes we would have been cannon fodder in the prem even more so now our main guy as gone "home" to Wolves. Even if we did get promoted I doubt we would have paid the money to land him. Thats why we never take that extra step up.

49 years of failure hasn’t diminished my enduring love for Sheffield United Football Club... Was so proud we made a game of it last night.
Enjoyed watching us look like a skillful and capable team. The pigs semi reminded me of the talentless shite we endured in the league one play offs

49 years of failure hasn’t diminished my enduring love for Sheffield United Football Club... Was so proud we made a game of it last night.
Failure is relative though isn't it. We've had how many F.A cup semi finals and play off final days out at - ok we've lost them all, but that's still a lot more than some clubs of a similar size have experienced. Many of the similar sized clubs have had more success than us in my time such as Stoke and Derby but at the same time they're not exactly having the time of their lives now, look at Wednesday also for a club that's really struggled for over 20 years.

Leeds who are a big club, don't like saying it but it's true, they've had a terrible 21st century on the whole, we've done better than Leeds too in that time and beaten them to promotion twice! So it may be failure in comparison to many clubs but others would swap our last 20 years for theirs, I'm sure of that.

Failure is relative though isn't it. We've had how many F.A cup semi finals and play off final days out at - ok we've lost them all, but that's still a lot more than some clubs of a similar size have experienced. Many of the similar sized clubs have had more success than us in my time such as Stoke and Derby but at the same time they're not exactly having the time of their lives now, look at Wednesday also for a club that's really struggled for over 20 years.

Leeds who are a big club, don't like saying it but it's true, they've had a terrible 21st century on the whole, we've done better than Leeds too in that time and beaten them to promotion twice! So it may be failure in comparison to many clubs but others would swap our last 20 years for theirs, I'm sure of that.
Look at Forest, this will be their first trip to the 'new' Wembley!

Yes, the term failure maybe a little bit wide sweeping. But kicks in the guts like last night have far outweighed the days of unbridled joy...But that’s what makes those days of joy much, much sweeter. That’s why we still remember days like Darlington, Leicester and latterly Northampton, with so much affection.

I support the Blades because as a little kid I fell in Love with them…and I will always remain in Love with those magical Blades

Get used to it. United are small fry and will always suffer. Not like the massive. They will be back amongst the elite winning trophies and challenging at the top. Only when you can attract 40,000 every week will you achieve. I look forward to seeing Hillsborough full with 50,000 again soon.

From a Manchester City fan

I'd argue we're the most successful Championship club of the 21st Century. Would love to see how many top 8 finishes and Cup Semi-Finals everyone else have had, of those who have had a prolonged time here (10 out of 20 years, say)

Lots of “neutrals” said we’d get battered the last time we went up and look what happened there.

Were it not for COVID we’d have qualified for European football and the entire trajectory of the club would have been completely different.

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have proven a few people wrong this time round? With lessons learned from the last time we were in the Prem (especially with regards to the transfer market) I wouldn’t have bet against us.

I'd argue we're the most successful Championship club of the 21st Century. Would love to see how many top 8 finishes and Cup Semi-Finals everyone else have had, of those who have had a prolonged time here (10 out of 20 years, say)
Fulham, Norwich and/or West Brom

I was more excited by the prospect of a day out at Wembley than actually playing in the Prem. I share the thoughts that we’d have had a pretty shit season. It’s why I’m not actually arsed about staying down, I like the champ
Exactly, it's all relative and I think regardless of next season it would have been wonderful to just have a day out at Wembley and actually win a play off. As a club we do need that as it hangs like a millstone every time we're in a play off.

God, our fans have to be the most small minded and pathetic bunch of losers on the planet

If Isaac Newton was a Blade - I don't give a fuck why that apple fell on my head, but it fucking hurt

Early Homo Sapien Blade - Found frozen to death

Thomas Eddison Blade - Dark is okay, we've got candles.

Karl Benz Blade - Walking is good, and if it's too far I got a horse

God, our fans have to be the most small minded and pathetic bunch of losers on the planet

If Isaac Newton was a Blade - I don't give a fuck why that apple fell on my head, but it fucking hurt

Early Homo Sapien Blade - Found frozen to death

Thomas Eddison Blade - Dark is okay, we've got candles.

Karl Benz Blade - Walking is good, and if it's too far I got a horse

He is right though. We probably would have got dry humped a bit.

The squad certainly needs a big overhaul to be competitive in the PL.

He is right though. We probably would have got dry humped a bit.

The squad certainly needs a big overhaul to be competitive in the PL.
So does just about every squad that goes up. Can't see Fulham, Bournemouth, or Hudds/shitstains finishing any higher than 4th bottom tbh.

Since 2000 Fulham have spent 15 years in the top flight, West Brom 13, and Leicester 12.

So each more than half.
They won the Premiership so they're the most successful team that have played in the Championship in the last 20 years

Lots of “neutrals” said we’d get battered the last time we went up and look what happened there.

Were it not for COVID we’d have qualified for European football and the entire trajectory of the club would have been completely different.

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have proven a few people wrong this time round? With lessons learned from the last time we were in the Prem (especially with regards to the transfer market) I wouldn’t have bet against us.

Obviously we will never know but the Wilder promotion team was far better than the one we have now. We'd be starting from a much weaker position.

I'm personally not bothered in the slightest about being in The Premier League in our current state. I think next season would be about banking the money and being Norwich. Long term it would have been good for the club but short term I think it would have been complete misery

Back
Top Bottom