United 0 Coventry 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast links to come later and report below….

---

Surprise side Coventry came to the Lane in confident form against a struggling Blades side who had lost their last two games and were hunting for any semblance of form and results to move up the league. The early kick off provided little in the way of entertainment for either set of fans. Coventry edged the first half and at least tested the Blades returning keeper Foderingham as United were booed off the field. The second half saw some improvements from the home team but in truth they rarely looked like scoring until the final stages when ex Blade Moore finally made a save of note on 83 minutes before making an even better one at the death from Gibbs White. McGoldrick made a difference in general play but was utterly dreadful in blazing two good chance over the bar. It was a clean sheet for United but in truth it was another lacklustre performance where they only really had a go in the closing stages. For a side riding high Coventry did not offer much more the other way but will ultimately be happier with the point in the end.

After the two-week break, there were four changes for United as Norwood (suspended), Brewster, Osborn and Olsen (injury) were out with Houirihane, Ndiaye, Davies and Foderingham back in. There was also a change of formation as United went back to 3 at the back with Gibbs White playing in the number 10 position behind Sharp and Ndiaye. Coventry opted to leave in form Godden on the bench but did have former United players Moore and McFadzean starting as part of the City rear guard.

The game began with little attacking action from either side and Coventry were quick to pick up the loose balls and were going forward quicker than United who preferred the more patient build up. City looked lively down the sides and Gyokeres a handful up top. However, the Blades had the first effort as Fleck showed nice skill to nutmeg his man but his effort was sent well wide. United had spell after this with Fleck influential in creating and Gibbs White starting to get involved but Sharp and Ndiaye were struggling to get in the game against a physical defence. Bogle had a few chances to cross but was wasteful on both occasions sending his cross too far.

The away side gradually started to take over and were winning the ball and sending it down the side and they had a chance on 15 when Hamer hit a shot which Foderingham had to push away. They started to realise the vulnerability of the Blades defence and Gyokeres outfoxed Egan who cynically pulled him back and was rightly yellow carded. Hamer’s free kick was over the bar but it was certainly Coventry who now looked the better side and Dabo was causing problems down the left-hand side with trickery and strong running. Basham twice had to get back to make challenges before. Dabo had a shot blocked and then the ball came across and no one could react. The home fans were starting to get frustrated although Gibbs White jinked away from Hamer who brought him down and was the first Coventry player to be cautioned.

O’Hare then was the next to have a go before Hourihane also did not fancy running back and pulled his man down not long after he gave away the ball twice with the crowd clearly not happy with his contribution. City won a corner but the Blades were able to clear. Sharp was struggling to get in the game and tried to buy a free kick but the ref was not having it and cautioned Sharp for handball as he fell. United had huge gaps between the three departments and even though they may have looked a bit tighter and not as open at the back, they never really looked like creating anything the other way. Stevens woeful right footed shot was the first effort since the early Fleck chance. At the other end Gyokeres had an effort blocked and his strength and trickery were causing Egan all sort of problems. United were wasteful with basic passing but were too slow to come out and no one wanted to take responsibility outside of possibly Fleck and Basham. The half time whistle came and boos reigned down on the Lane as Jokanovic looked up to the terraces sheepishly as he departed down the tunnel.

The Serbian had clearly seen enough and hauled off the ineffective Ndiaye for McGoldrick at the break. The sub instantly started to get involved getting on the ball and drifting in and out to try and move United into better areas. However, City had a flurry of chances with Gyokeres testing Foderingham with a low shot before a dangerous cross from Dabo who beat Bogle too easily saw United struggle to clear. O’Hare went down too easily in the scramble as he looked for the penalty but the referee called it right and booked the City man for simulation.

The game was a dreadful contest but Gibbs White tried to make something happen and a cross was close to Sharp as the Blades finally got the ball into the box. Bogle then showed quick feet but his cross was straight at Moore. Basham was trying to make some positive thrusts but often was getting crowded out and there was little quality in terms of crosses coming in or a final ball. City made two changes with Godden and Walker on for Gyokeres and Hamer.

The sub nearly made an instant impact with a low shot held well by Foderingham who had been faultless with his handling with nothing coming off him. The game now entered the final 20 minutes and even though the Blades had been better this half, they still did not look like scoring with City having more chances and testing the keeper much more throughout, even if the efforts were not that dangerous.

Finally, some efforts came from the Blades as Gibbs White shot wide with Moore probably having it covered but soon after McGoldrick had the ball pulled back but smashed it horribly over. Something we have seen far too often from the centre forward who for all the good work in general play, lacks any kind of composure in front of goal. Hourihane had a decent effort wide from range as the game started to open up finally but neither side were showing the necessary quality in the right areas.

Kelly came on for Sheaf before United were too busy arguing with the officials as the ball stayed in and Egan clumsily fouled Walker, leading to a free kick. The Blades were able to clear the ball for a corner but then Foderingham was a safe pair of hands again not long after saving from O’Hare.

United won their first corner of the game on 80 minutes and soon after had their first effort on goal as Gibbs White neat approach fashioned a chance for McGoldrick but his effort was weak and easy for Moore, who at least had made a save! United did sense a chance to snatch and suddenly after playing most of the game with no tempo or urgency mixed with sloppy, slow passing, they started to have a go.

Hourihane who had improved after a dreadful first hour fed the ball to McGoldrick who cut in but somehow ballooned it miles over the bar again to groans from most of the fans inside the Lane. Osborn came on for Stevens and United now were pushing City back at least who now were settling for the point and trying to slow down every throw and free kick.

United won a series of free kicks but Moore took a cross and another Hourihane free kick did not quite drop. As the game entered the final minute, United had a chance as the ball dropped to Gibbs White who hit it through a series of bodies and it maybe took a nick off one defender but Moore readjusted to make a really good save.

The game entered three minutes of stoppage time and finally United had built up a head of steam and a ball pulled back Hourihane was seemingly perfect for Gibbs White but his shot lacked power and was blocked by McFadzean. The Blades still had one final chance but Hourihane’s shot drifted wide and the full-time whistle came not long after. There was a more positive reaction for the improvements second half, at least the final 10-15 minutes of the game but despite the clean sheet, it was another less than inspiring game from the Blades. The only consolation is the high-flying Sky Blues looked no better in a really drab game where the keepers were barely properly tested all game.

United – The positive are we kept a clean sheet and did not lose again. We did look a bit more solid I suppose and most of Coventry’s efforts were shots from the edge of the box. They did not cut through us like teams have been doing and we looked a bit more solid. The keeper did well and felt Davies and Bash were decent too with the latter the stand out in the new/old formation. However, this formation meant we did not have enough men to get forward and first half other than one Fleck shot, did nothing. I thought it was so poor the opening half and we were slow, deliberate and dull to watch. They did little themselves but at least had some efforts on goal and showed more urgency and belief. I felt they edged it actually overall and there were more than a few boos. Sharp and Ndiaye were not in it, the wing backs created little and struggled defensively and Hourihane was abysmal. Egan also continued to struggle for his club. Foderingham was solid though. I was totally bored though in the first half. I felt players did not want to take responsibility and too many went backwards, took too many touches and passes were slow and behind players. No one wanted to drive forward expect maybe Bash and Fleck a few times. Coventry probably though the game was for the taking and we would make a mistake at the back as we normally do.

2nd half we were better. I am not sure the first 20-25 minutes we were great at all but at least moved it quicker and McGoldrick provided a link and Gibbs White started to get on it too. We created absolutely nothing though and City had 4 or 5 shots at Foderingham and one cross that was nearly put in. At 75 minutes even though we had been better not sure I felt we remotely looked like creating or scoring but then we had a flurry of chances. Gibbs White and Hourihane shot wide with decent efforts although still did not test the keeper although weirdly were maybe closer than the Cov efforts which were relatively straight forward but at least they got them on goal. Then Didzy did what he does with two appalling efforts blazed over. Pathetic really and inexcusable for someone with such seemingly good technique. Sadly, we have seen this for most of his Blades career and why he will ultimately move on and rightly so this summer. For all the good things he does, he simply cannot finish. Gibbs White then had our first real decent effort (Didzy had one weak one at Moore) and Moore made a really good save – maybe the closest either game before he had a clear shot but was too precise and blocked out. We did look like we might get one at the end but it was all a bit desperate and felt too little too late. Why did it take us till 75 or even 80 minutes to start getting the ball in the box, pulling it back and even having a shot? Up to that the performance was desperately disappointing even for the better 2nd half. Coventry actually regressed as the game went on and a bit of quality and composure and we get a winner from the 3 or 4 chances we had but other than the one Moore saved, not sure our players have that ability when it matters.

In the end a draw was about right. They had the better of the first half, we had the better of the second half and did have a really decent spell at the end. Foderingham made a lot more saves than Moore but we had the better chances weirdly. Overall, I came away yet again no nearer to thinking we have an answer and for most of the game the formation did not really see us looking any better – maybe more solid but then we had little going the other way really. I suppose on the face of it, a point against the team is 4th but our home form is abysmal really and we are now far closer to the bottom 3 than the playoffs and I am not convinced this side is going to win many games at all. We saw some flashes from Gibbs White again but he is frustrating also but is the only one going forward who looks like he might make something happen. Basham continues to be the main bright spot in terms of effort and drive. Foderingham was the one bright spot. We need to see if we can terminate Olsen and Hourihane’s loans as neither have improved the side at all. Hourihane was appalling for the most part but did end the game better and some of our better chances came from his play as bad as he was. Fleck started well but faded and I thought up top we offered little really and when we had chances McGoldrick made a mess of them.

I thought Coventry were no great shakes but I thought that about Blackpool and many others and we have not been able to beat so many of these ordinary sides. It is a terrible division if they are in the top 6 but then that is up to us, to beat these sides and move up the league. We are where we are for a reason and again the tempo and desire to get the ball into dangerous areas was not there most of the game. You go to see your team win, perform well and be entertained and we saw none of that really. The last 10 minutes masked another largely poor game and I look at us rather than the opponents. We need to impose ourselves and create a good tempo to get them facing their own goal and under pressure and for Moore and Coventry it was too easy. The pattern of play was again slow and predictable and we play it out and take forever to move it into a good area. Coventry moved it forward much quicker first half and at least got into more dangerous areas. Overall, I just felt it was a really bad game between two very average to poor sides. United will maybe say we got a clean sheet and at least stopped the losing run but overall, I came away no nearer to thinking that we are moving in any kind of direction. We played some different players and a different formation and I was utterly bored for the most part. I am still concerned we may get sucked into a relegation scrap and it says it all that if it was not for teams being docked points, that would probably happen. We just have to hope some of the teams below us continue to lose as our form is awful.

We go to Reading who of course have had docked points and then Bristol City but I am not convinced we will win these games and feel the best we can hope for is to nick a few draws as depressing as it sounds. Maybe Norwood and Berge come back in and we stick with the same formation but play Berge maybe in a more attacking role but not sure where you play both of these in a 3-5-2/5-3-2?

Ratings:

Foderingham 7.5/10 – 7.5 may seem high but thought he was completely faultless today with several shots sticking and only one he had to push away as everything else stuck in his chest or he held well. I am not convinced some of those may have not been held or even gone past Olsen. He moved his feet well and looked really assured. Was ok with his feet and took one cross where he came through bodies – again something Olsen has not done. Not convinced he is the answer but he stays in the team as performed better than the player he replaced.

Bogle 5.5/10 – I thought he got into some great areas but time after time he dithered or took too may touches. When he did cross it, he overplayed it or hit his first man. He showed one bit of great skill second half but cross was too close to Moore. Defensively he was not tight enough to his man all game and they had a few chances from him not being in the right position. Got beat by Dabo easily when he fell to ground when they had the chance blocked just after half time. I still think I prefer Baldock but that is not exactly due to his outstanding form!

Stevens 5/10 – Another game where he makes basic errors with the ball and simply will not use his right foot, often pirouetting around and then making a mess even after doing that. He finally tried to use it and blasted a wayward shot – maybe that is why he never does use it! He played some awful and aimless balls to no one and I felt defensively he was just slow to react. He was better after the break though and got into some decent areas and was well forward and his link play was better even if I cannot recall anything clear he created.

Davies 6.5/10 – Thought he was steady most of the game and his touch and control is good. He is quite composed and neat and tidy when he has it. He reads the game well. Still for all this he does make mistakes and twice second half played horror balls that put them in. Also, he takes way too many touches with it to move it forward instead of playing it much quicker. He is under no pressure but takes ages to move it forward or make a decision.

Egan 4.5/10 – Think he has a really poor season and today he was our worst defender. He rarely wins headers or dominates, looks slow and sluggish and most weeks the opposition centre forward dictates to him or wins the battle. Last time Brereton Diaz and today Gyokeres were stronger and quicker to the ball. Got booked for having to haul his man down. He rarely seems to win the ball first and get to it before his opponent. Seems to be playing much better for his country than us where he looks totally bereft of confidence. Also, back in the formation that supposedly suits him too today. Suppose defensively he kept a clean sheet but not sure that was down to his play really.

Basham 7/10 – At times things do not come off but he to me should still be one of the first names on the team sheet especially when the rest are so timid and negative. He made a number of tackles defensively and was the one covering the ground for others out of position. Going the other way, he at least tried to come out with it and 2nd half he carried it forward and was in some great areas but maybe took too many touches or did not quite have the end product. His effort and desire though were far ahead of many of his counterparts who often just jog or do not move.

Hourihane 4.5/10 – People will say this is way too high I am sure and he might have been a 2-3 for the first 60 minutes as he gave it away constantly with aimless passes to no one or went backwards. I am not sure he found a red and white shirt for the first hour. He pulled his man back and was not able to control the game at all really. He seemed to find them far more than us. He was awful. The crowd started to turn but credit to him the final part he started to get stuck in and actually had a positive influence, running around more and put a few good balls in and set plays too. He was the man looking likely to assist if we did score. Does not excuse most of his game but he did at least not hide at the end. He is not an improvement on Norwood, as ineffective as he has been.

Fleck 5/10 – Thought he was one of our better players first half outfield and got on it and at least tried to drive forward. Had 2 or 3 good runs and one nutmeg and shot and was the one trying to link and get in the areas to create things. He got stuck in and was generally more involved than he has been. I thought he faded after half time and started to lose the ball in dangerous areas and made poor decisions. He actually was less of an influence despite United having a better spell near the end. Started to give it away and put us under pressure. So he did well for maybe 20 minutes and then not good enough.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Some really good bits of play but some really frustrating things too. He was not really in it to start and then won a free kick and started to link more with some nice bits of play. He does lose it at times and they had a few breaks from his attempted flicks/tricks. Suppose those things make things happen sometimes too? He does fall to ground too easily and at times can be a bit petulant. I also thought he overplayed but for all that he is the one player who I actually thing something might happen when he gets it. He had our best effort and another blocked too. I think if you take him out, not sure what we have going forward at all even if not everything came off today?

Ndiaye 3.5/10 – Not his day at all. The game just seemed to pass him by. I recall one run he came across and found Bogle with a good ball and another bit of control but outside of that? Nothing really. He got brushed off or did not get involved. Granted had little service but even with that taken into account he needs to show more or at least be a nuisance. Not sure he is an out and out forward but then if we go back to this formation then not sure where he can play – maybe him and Gibbs White are battling for that one number 10 slot? We had no presence up top first half at all even if we did not have much behind linking either. Hooked at half time as the more experienced Sharp remained on.

Sharp 5/10 – As above. He was not in it first half and I felt they were stronger and first to the ball often even if we took an age to get it up to him. Ended up wide left most of the time and we had no one in the box. He did improve after the break and at least caused some problems with a few bits of hold up and link play but not sure he had a chance or effort on goal or set anything up really. One headed chance where he did not get there, he was marshalled well by his old teammate McFadzean. He normally does well v Coventry but today he never looked like scoring.

Subs –

McGoldrick 4/10 – Weird one to mark as in general play he did some good things and was able to get on it, drift out wide or inside and increased the tempo. Normally he is accused of slowing it down but today he actually got us going for a spell after he came on and linked well with Stevens, Gibbs White etc. However, his finishing is absolutely pathetic. He had three chances. One was an ok but weak shot at Moore, then two pathetic shots that I have no idea how he put them so high? One played back and he smashed it over and then one on the run and he smashed it over. I have loved the guy but he is one of the worst finishers I have ever seen.

Osborn – Bizarre sub as if Stevens had been tired from international duty, then surely you take him off long before 84th minute? He did this at Blackburn with Baldock for Bogle. Not sure changing the full back/wing back with less than 10 minutes to go will really affect things? I felt we needed to make another striker change maybe and would have taken off Sharp for Burke. Stop laughing. They had two lumbering centre backs and we needed to stretch them.

Manager:

Jokanovic 5/10 – 0-0 and a boring, mostly depressing game. For nearly 80 minutes we did nothing of note. We played at a slow tempo and had this boring pass it out from the back, go sideways, go backwards and then go nowhere. Interesting he changed the formation though as he said he would stick with the plan and then we go back to the old shape? Did it make any difference? Not really. We were a bit more solid at the back but then looked unlikely to score until right at the end. It is odd as he said he did not want to stop the revolution but has now gone back to how we played before – which also had not been working for 18 months? Does he know his job might be in jeopardy unless he gets us some results and opted to be more pragmatic? Seems for someone who sticks to his principles an about turn? Coventry were the better side to start the game and shaded the first half. Second half we improved but it felt a bit too little too late. We need to play with more urgency and tempo from the start. This week he has said the right things about it not being good enough and needing to kick asses and marking our territory. We then come out and serve up a mostly flat, drab and lifeless performance until the last stages of the game. He and his team need to do much better and I remain unconvinced what the plan is. He needs to probably bring in over half a new team. That is not going to happen. His priority has to be sadly to make sure we do not get embroiled in a relegation scrap which is still a possibility.

showing.

Coventry – Had a great start to the season and seems a bit like out 17-18 start when we came up and kept it going, surprising teams and beating some of the more fancied teams (like Fulham a bit back). They have had the odd weird result the other way like the hammering at Luton but have been very strong at home and scored lots of late winners. Gyokeres has seemed to be the man getting most of them. He had 9 before today and Godden had 6 too so they have a strike pairing scoring goals. Moore seems to have had a good season at the other end – although I don’t subscribe to the theory, we should have kept him. He had been poor in any games he played in the Prem and even in the Champ he was not a regular. The others we have are not really convincing but Moore was not the answer and sure eventually Coventry will move on from him like we did, after his initial decent start/one good season. Decent lad and was a great pro but he’s a lower league keeper for me. Does not command at all and makes too many mistakes even though he did help us in League One of course.

Robins has quietly become a decent manager and with a small budget and all the stadium uncertainty, what a job he has done to get them up and around the playoff places. They seem to have a high fitness level and finish games strongly, unlike us. They may not have a huge squad but it appears, like that one we had back then, close knit and everyone knows their role and is playing for each other. I am not sure they last the pace as if they get a few injuries and the run of games now with no breaks may test them but if the home form remains strong, who knows? They look a damn sight more competitive and up for the fight than our set of losers do. The fact they have players on a fraction of what ours are and are so much higher, should be embarrassing really. They have a collection of journeymen with a few good up and coming young players but no one you think he is absolute class. Just good steady hard-working players who do their jobs and work hard for each other. They move around the pitch and help each other and whenever I have seen them, they seem to hunt in packs to get the ball and get it forward quickly at a much better tempo than us and create chances. At the other end, they are more ruthless too and just get it out when danger occurs.

Today they had the better of the first half and had more efforts on goal but nothing clear really, I felt but at least had some decent attacks. They moved it forward at a quicker pace and were not troubled at the back. After the break they regressed and sat back but still had some chances with Foderingham making a few decent saves, even if they were expected. United slowly forced them back and actually in a weird way they were kind of hanging on at the end with the Blades having 2 or 3 good chances and Moore making one great save. McGoldrick takes either of those chances though and they would have lost of course. They did not look a side going for promotion and in the end will take a point I suppose as we looked more the aggressor. Another distinctly average side that came to the Lane and until the end looked comfortable without really testing us the other way.

Opponent Man of the Match – Moore made a great save at the end but had little to do. McFadzean, Hyam and Rose were really good and defended solidly till the end. The ex-Blade actually made some good blocks and may take the award. Gyokeres was a handful up top and I was glad to see the back of him. Dabo also made some good runs going forward and was dangerous.

Opponent Weak link – I thought Hamer was falling over a lot and looking for free kicks. He went off on the hour and was not really a threat and wasted two good free kick opportunities.

Referee/Officials – Michael Salisbury. Really good I felt. Started off a bit fussy with where free kicks should be taken but as the game went on, he started to let it flow and I felt all the bookings were right. He had no help from two dithering assistants who never made a decision all game. Refed with a smile on his face and just let it go and was not wanting to be the star of the show. I cannot recall too many bad decisions both ways. Robins was annoyed with a few early on Fleck but they were grabbing him too. He got the dive right from their lad and the hand ball on Sharp. Liked the fact he did not fall for players trying to con him to get free kicks. Might have been the man of the match!

Matchday/Crowd – Not a fan of these lunchtime kick offs and we have another next week and not sure we have a 3pm Saturday home game till mid-January now with a Sunday game next, then a Monday night and then the Xmas/New Year games. So quiet. Coventry fans were loud and got behind their team and questioning where the noise was coming from in the home stands and rightly so. However, the Blades fans need something to shout about. A tackle, an effort, a run. They gave us nothing to get behind at all till the end. The boos at half time seemed to shock Slav as he started at the South Stand but was just really for a slow, lifeless showing. At the end the fans did applaud for at least some improvements but not sure overall it was enough and felt the fans were more than generous actually for the overall

United – The positive are we kept a clean sheet and did not lose again. We did look a bit more solid I suppose and most of Coventry’s efforts were shots from the edge of the box. They did not cut through us like teams have been doing and we looked a bit more solid. The keeper did well and felt Davies and Bash were decent too with the latter the stand out in the new/old formation. However, this formation meant we did not have enough men to get forward and first half other than one Fleck shot, did nothing. I thought it was so poor the opening half and we were slow, deliberate and dull to watch. They did little themselves but at least had some efforts on goal and showed more urgency and belief. I felt they edged it actually overall and there were more than a few boos. Sharp and Ndiaye were not in it, the wing backs created little and struggled defensively and Hourihane was abysmal. Egan also continued to struggle for his club. Foderingham was solid though. I was totally bored though in the first half. I felt players did not want to take responsibility and too many went backwards, took too many touches and passes were slow and behind players. No one wanted to drive forward expect maybe Bash and Fleck a few times. Coventry probably though the game was for the taking and we would make a mistake at the back as we normally do.

2nd half we were better. I am not sure the first 20-25 minutes we were great at all but at least moved it quicker and McGoldrick provided a link and Gibbs White started to get on it too. We created absolutely nothing though and City had 4 or 5 shots at Foderingham and one cross that was nearly put in. At 75 minutes even though we had been better not sure I felt we remotely looked like creating or scoring but then we had a flurry of chances. Gibbs White and Hourihane shot wide with decent efforts although still did not test the keeper although weirdly were maybe closer than the Cov efforts which were relatively straight forward but at least they got them on goal. Then Didzy did what he does with two appalling efforts blazed over. Pathetic really and inexcusable for someone with such seemingly good technique. Sadly, we have seen this for most of his Blades career and why he will ultimately move on and rightly so this summer. For all the good things he does, he simply cannot finish. Gibbs White then had our first real decent effort (Didzy had one weak one at Moore) and Moore made a really good save – maybe the closest either game before he had a clear shot but was too precise and blocked out. We did look like we might get one at the end but it was all a bit desperate and felt too little too late. Why did it take us till 75 or even 80 minutes to start getting the ball in the box, pulling it back and even having a shot? Up to that the performance was desperately disappointing even for the better 2nd half. Coventry actually regressed as the game went on and a bit of quality and composure and we get a winner from the 3 or 4 chances we had but other than the one Moore saved, not sure our players have that ability when it matters.

In the end a draw was about right. They had the better of the first half, we had the better of the second half and did have a really decent spell at the end. Foderingham made a lot more saves than Moore but we had the better chances weirdly. Overall, I came away yet again no nearer to thinking we have an answer and for most of the game the formation did not really see us looking any better – maybe more solid but then we had little going the other way really. I suppose on the face of it, a point against the team is 4th but our home form is abysmal really and we are now far closer to the bottom 3 than the playoffs and I am not convinced this side is going to win many games at all. We saw some flashes from Gibbs White again but he is frustrating also but is the only one going forward who looks like he might make something happen. Basham continues to be the main bright spot in terms of effort and drive. Foderingham was the one bright spot. We need to see if we can terminate Olsen and Hourihane’s loans as neither have improved the side at all. Hourihane was appalling for the most part but did end the game better and some of our better chances came from his play as bad as he was. Fleck started well but faded and I thought up top we offered little really and when we had chances McGoldrick made a mess of them.

I thought Coventry were no great shakes but I thought that about Blackpool and many others and we have not been able to beat so many of these ordinary sides. It is a terrible division if they are in the top 6 but then that is up to us, to beat these sides and move up the league. We are where we are for a reason and again the tempo and desire to get the ball into dangerous areas was not there most of the game. You go to see your team win, perform well and be entertained and we saw none of that really. The last 10 minutes masked another largely poor game and I look at us rather than the opponents. We need to impose ourselves and create a good tempo to get them facing their own goal and under pressure and for Moore and Coventry it was too easy. The pattern of play was again slow and predictable and we play it out and take forever to move it into a good area. Coventry moved it forward much quicker first half and at least got into more dangerous areas. Overall, I just felt it was a really bad game between two very average to poor sides. United will maybe say we got a clean sheet and at least stopped the losing run but overall, I came away no nearer to thinking that we are moving in any kind of direction. We played some different players and a different formation and I was utterly bored for the most part. I am still concerned we may get sucked into a relegation scrap and it says it all that if it was not for teams being docked points, that would probably happen. We just have to hope some of the teams below us continue to lose as our form is awful.

We go to Reading who of course have had docked points and then Bristol City but I am not convinced we will win these games and feel the best we can hope for is to nick a few draws as depressing as it sounds. Maybe Norwood and Berge come back in and we stick with the same formation but play Berge maybe in a more attacking role but not sure where you play both of these in a 3-5-2/5-3-2?

Ratings:

Foderingham 7.5/10 – 7.5 may seem high but thought he was completely faultless today with several shots sticking and only one he had to push away as everything else stuck in his chest or he held well. I am not convinced some of those may have not been held or even gone past Olsen. He moved his feet well and looked really assured. Was ok with his feet and took one cross where he came through bodies – again something Olsen has not done. Not convinced he is the answer but he stays in the team as performed better than the player he replaced.

Bogle 5.5/10 – I thought he got into some great areas but time after time he dithered or took too may touches. When he did cross it, he overplayed it or hit his first man. He showed one bit of great skill second half but cross was too close to Moore. Defensively he was not tight enough to his man all game and they had a few chances from him not being in the right position. Got beat by Dabo easily when he fell to ground when they had the chance blocked just after half time. I still think I prefer Baldock but that is not exactly due to his outstanding form!

Stevens 5/10 – Another game where he makes basic errors with the ball and simply will not use his right foot, often pirouetting around and then making a mess even after doing that. He finally tried to use it and blasted a wayward shot – maybe that is why he never does use it! He played some awful and aimless balls to no one and I felt defensively he was just slow to react. He was better after the break though and got into some decent areas and was well forward and his link play was better even if I cannot recall anything clear he created.

Davies 6.5/10 – Thought he was steady most of the game and his touch and control is good. He is quite composed and neat and tidy when he has it. He reads the game well. Still for all this he does make mistakes and twice second half played horror balls that put them in. Also, he takes way too many touches with it to move it forward instead of playing it much quicker. He is under no pressure but takes ages to move it forward or make a decision.

Egan 4.5/10 – Think he has a really poor season and today he was our worst defender. He rarely wins headers or dominates, looks slow and sluggish and most weeks the opposition centre forward dictates to him or wins the battle. Last time Brereton Diaz and today Gyokeres were stronger and quicker to the ball. Got booked for having to haul his man down. He rarely seems to win the ball first and get to it before his opponent. Seems to be playing much better for his country than us where he looks totally bereft of confidence. Also, back in the formation that supposedly suits him too today. Suppose defensively he kept a clean sheet but not sure that was down to his play really.

Basham 7/10 – At times things do not come off but he to me should still be one of the first names on the team sheet especially when the rest are so timid and negative. He made a number of tackles defensively and was the one covering the ground for others out of position. Going the other way, he at least tried to come out with it and 2nd half he carried it forward and was in some great areas but maybe took too many touches or did not quite have the end product. His effort and desire though were far ahead of many of his counterparts who often just jog or do not move.

Hourihane 4.5/10 – People will say this is way too high I am sure and he might have been a 2-3 for the first 60 minutes as he gave it away constantly with aimless passes to no one or went backwards. I am not sure he found a red and white shirt for the first hour. He pulled his man back and was not able to control the game at all really. He seemed to find them far more than us. He was awful. The crowd started to turn but credit to him the final part he started to get stuck in and actually had a positive influence, running around more and put a few good balls in and set plays too. He was the man looking likely to assist if we did score. Does not excuse most of his game but he did at least not hide at the end. He is not an improvement on Norwood, as ineffective as he has been.

Fleck 5/10 – Thought he was one of our better players first half outfield and got on it and at least tried to drive forward. Had 2 or 3 good runs and one nutmeg and shot and was the one trying to link and get in the areas to create things. He got stuck in and was generally more involved than he has been. I thought he faded after half time and started to lose the ball in dangerous areas and made poor decisions. He actually was less of an influence despite United having a better spell near the end. Started to give it away and put us under pressure. So he did well for maybe 20 minutes and then not good enough.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Some really good bits of play but some really frustrating things too. He was not really in it to start and then won a free kick and started to link more with some nice bits of play. He does lose it at times and they had a few breaks from his attempted flicks/tricks. Suppose those things make things happen sometimes too? He does fall to ground too easily and at times can be a bit petulant. I also thought he overplayed but for all that he is the one player who I actually thing something might happen when he gets it. He had our best effort and another blocked too. I think if you take him out, not sure what we have going forward at all even if not everything came off today?

Ndiaye 3.5/10 – Not his day at all. The game just seemed to pass him by. I recall one run he came across and found Bogle with a good ball and another bit of control but outside of that? Nothing really. He got brushed off or did not get involved. Granted had little service but even with that taken into account he needs to show more or at least be a nuisance. Not sure he is an out and out forward but then if we go back to this formation then not sure where he can play – maybe him and Gibbs White are battling for that one number 10 slot? We had no presence up top first half at all even if we did not have much behind linking either. Hooked at half time as the more experienced Sharp remained on.

Sharp 5/10 – As above. He was not in it first half and I felt they were stronger and first to the ball often even if we took an age to get it up to him. Ended up wide left most of the time and we had no one in the box. He did improve after the break and at least caused some problems with a few bits of hold up and link play but not sure he had a chance or effort on goal or set anything up really. One headed chance where he did not get there, he was marshalled well by his old teammate McFadzean. He normally does well v Coventry but today he never looked like scoring.

Subs –

McGoldrick 4/10 – Weird one to mark as in general play he did some good things and was able to get on it, drift out wide or inside and increased the tempo. Normally he is accused of slowing it down but today he actually got us going for a spell after he came on and linked well with Stevens, Gibbs White etc. However, his finishing is absolutely pathetic. He had three chances. One was an ok but weak shot at Moore, then two pathetic shots that I have no idea how he put them so high? One played back and he smashed it over and then one on the run and he smashed it over. I have loved the guy but he is one of the worst finishers I have ever seen.

Osborn – Bizarre sub as if Stevens had been tired from international duty, then surely you take him off long before 84th minute? He did this at Blackburn with Baldock for Bogle. Not sure changing the full back/wing back with less than 10 minutes to go will really affect things? I felt we needed to make another striker change maybe and would have taken off Sharp for Burke. Stop laughing. They had two lumbering centre backs and we needed to stretch them.

Manager:

Jokanovic 5/10 – 0-0 and a boring, mostly depressing game. For nearly 80 minutes we did nothing of note. We played at a slow tempo and had this boring pass it out from the back, go sideways, go backwards and then go nowhere. Interesting he changed the formation though as he said he would stick with the plan and then we go back to the old shape? Did it make any difference? Not really. We were a bit more solid at the back but then looked unlikely to score until right at the end. It is odd as he said he did not want to stop the revolution but has now gone back to how we played before – which also had not been working for 18 months? Does he know his job might be in jeopardy unless he gets us some results and opted to be more pragmatic? Seems for someone who sticks to his principles an about turn? Coventry were the better side to start the game and shaded the first half. Second half we improved but it felt a bit too little too late. We need to play with more urgency and tempo from the start. This week he has said the right things about it not being good enough and needing to kick asses and marking our territory. We then come out and serve up a mostly flat, drab and lifeless performance until the last stages of the game. He and his team need to do much better and I remain unconvinced what the plan is. He needs to probably bring in over half a new team. That is not going to happen. His priority has to be sadly to make sure we do not get embroiled in a relegation scrap which is still a possibility.

showing.
I think my £20 bet on a Top 2 finish may be dead in the water!
Cheers for your thoughts again ... highlight of the day

For the first time this season I am genuinely concerned. A manager who appeared steadfast in wanting to play his style which has brought him considerable success has suddenly buckled and lost out to player power and gone with the dreaded 3-5-2. For those saying we don't have the players for 4-2-3-1 well to-day showed we don't have them for 3-5-2. When you finish the game with 2 players totalling over 70 years in age up front, the lack of pace kills the system.

The first half was the poorest down at BDTBL this season IMO. We created nothing all match yet people were coming out of the game saying they were pleased we hadn't conceded a goal. Goals win games and despite the defensive failings
so far this season we have always looked capable of scoring a goal but not to-day under the regressive system that lost us our EPL status.

We finished the game strongly only because Robins changed formation and decided to go for it. Our build up play was slow under 4-2-3-1 under 3-5-2 its slower than snail pace. I hope SJ has the balls to go to 4 at the back again as we had nothing in midfield to-day. That was the area that needed addressing not the defence,

felt players did not want to take responsibility

This. Absolutely right. By 15 minutes in, we’d counted three occasions where players were visibly hiding at throw-ins. What a great way to start a game, set the tone, etc.

Sitting 6 rows back, by the halfway line where much of the play was, you can see and read the faces on them, close up. They simply didn’t want the ball.

Pathetic.

The Tufty Club

@tufty_club

In a week when Slav talked about jumping off HMS Piss The League, United once again started rudderless, but navigated a better second half to get a point against Coventry
☁️
https://soundcloud.com/tufty-club/tufty-club-reaction-21-22-coventry-home…
🟢
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5CYnbsRLQBkgZ1cpAX0LJX…
🍎
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/id1508158343?i=1000542565434… #sufc #twitterblades #SHUCOV

Slav on a crap rowing boat on a dry bed

This. Absolutely right. By 15 minutes in, we’d counted three occasions where players were visibly hiding at throw-ins. What a great way to start a game, set the tone, etc.

Sitting 6 rows back, by the halfway line where much of the play was, you can see and read the faces on them, close up. They simply didn’t want the ball.

Pathetic.
Spot on. We need to get rid of those that don't have the bottle. Bogle refused to let Basham take a throw in, in case Bash threw it to him. Another time, when Fotheringham had the ball in his hands Bogle ran 50 yds away from goal and never once looked back to see if a pass was on.
Some of the things our players are getting wrong you wouldn't see at a decent u14 level.

I am really starting to get really fucked off with their lack of fucking bollocks. Their ‘woe is me’ expressions and body language. Fuck me, these wet farts really need to fuck off out of our club. To me though it is now a sign of professional football at the higher leagues in general. How can a working class bloke connect with a team of wasters on £20k a week?

All about opinions and all that Deadbat but a bit harsh on Egan and a bit generous for Davies for me.

Egan is having a poor season yes- he does look sluggish and he's not been dominant. He doesn't half miss JOC who always swept up behind him and covered for any mistakes as he's such a good reader of the game....Bash too and I'm sure he was glad he was back.

From behind the goal on the Kop though, he made one dead cert goal interception from a cross first half and I thought he settled after a poor start where he seemed to be limping a bit or certainly a bit laboured.

I've only ever really known centre halves to be good, shite or 'does a job'. Frustrating is more what I'd link with a creative centre mid or winger, but Davies manages to be from centre bloody half!!

It's mentioned elsewhere that some of our midfield 'hide'.... I honestly think Davies does. He gets pulled out of position then stays there jockeying, to look like he's defending without having to do the ugly stuff.

He's good on the ball, he reads and intercepts well, but he never puts a challenge in, never wins a header...he doesn't hurry back, he meanders up for corners. He seems to play as though he wants to look classy, but not actually have to defend.

JOC, Bash, even Baldock and definitely Egan (as was) always looked like they fucking loved defending and it hurt them to concede. Think of that Brentford game at home when we went up- bodies flinging themselves everywhere, fighting, loving it.

Yes you can hide in centre mid but you can sure as hell hide at the back too and end up making it look like it's all the last man's fault because he's exposed. That's Davies and Egan all over for me.

Agree re Osborn for Stevens, my initial thought was Osborn had been told to stay wide left, further up the pitch, in effect it looked like a straight swap, Macfadzean wasn't stretched all game, he looked comfortable competing against Billy, fully expected more subs and sooner than the 84th minute, especially with the change at half time

On a slightly brighter note, at the start of the second half I actually fell asleep on the Kop and got a really good, sound 10 minutes in with the sun on my face and no disturbance or chance of excitement. Genuinely the first time ever I've actually slept at BDTBL. Thanks Slav and all the lads.

On the positive side, we looked so much more solid and organised with 3 at the back. I wasn't even worried we'd get caught out in the last 15 minutes like we usually do in tight games. But we are terminally fucking BORING! Slow, predictable, laboured, and completely fucking sterile. I turn up not expecting to be entertained or to get excited. I really don't have any expectation of us scoring a goal or looking like we really want to win.

This team/squad has no character, desire, or spine. They collect their wages and (probably) fuck off home with no feeling, leaving the media team to post a load of shit, glorifying a set of players that don't seem to give a flying fuck. I hate this team and I have no faith in the manager being able, or having the inclination, to turn it around and actually produce a winning team anytime soon.

I don't see any progress, promise. or hope for the future with this lot. I genuinely don't know where we go from here.

utb

Reminded me of Atkins and second season Clough. Just total boredom. Yes playing 3 Centre Backs meant we looked less likely to concede but created absolutely nothing. Therein lies the problem. We need legs and strength in midfield as teams run through is. See Hourihane did the usual Norwood foul when someone run past and both him and Fleck go missing for large parts of the game. We need a dominating CB also plus some genuine wide players (appears to have totally given up on Burke) None of the wing backs/ full backs are good enough anymore. Some rate Bogle but for me he is another weak player, no end product and a defensive liability who does not work hard enough. Then we have our plethora of strikers who we struggle to find places for and despite the vast sums spent Sharp is still our most reliable option.

Strangely I was quite happy with the 0-0 at the end which kind of says it all as to where we are at the moment.

MoM was the ref who I thought was excellent and by far the best I’ve seen this season, home or away.

Good report DB.

I can’t remember being that bored during a match as I was during the first half. Second 45 was a marked improvement but still not great by any stretch of the imagination.
The notion that everything will be solved in January is fanciful at best, but likely closer to blind optimism in reality. There are so many holes that need plugging to get this side anywhere close to half decent - I genuinely think we need 5 or 6 players and no way can we afford to bring those in. Slav might be lucky to get 1 or 2 if he’s lucky, dependent on whether another club is daft enough to take some of the deadwood.

Hopefully yesterday killed any remaining talk that going 3-5-2 was the magic answer to all our problems. I did advocate it on occasion and we did look marginally more structured defensively but going forwards we were a shambles until McGoldrick got involved. It was very reminiscent of last seasons diabolical performances in many ways. The players are simply not good enough and not arsed enough, and they’re also running out of excuses to hide behind.

I honestly don’t know where the club goes from here and it’s a major worry - we have too many players to shift on and an owner who, despite his best intentions, doesn’t have the resource to turn it around. He either needs to sell up/find major investment (and maybe take a big hit on his valuation) or gamble with the clubs future which could spell disaster. At the moment we’re simply treading water and you can only do that for so long.

Ndiaye is becoming a bit of a worry for me. We have to find a way to keep him in the team as we need his energy, pace and quality that he has shown in flashes, but it's a very long time since he actually produced anything of note now.

Last edited:
I honestly think if Coventry had come to win, they would have. We never really looked like scoring.

On a slightly brighter note, at the start of the second half I actually fell asleep on the Kop and got a really good, sound 10 minutes in with the sun on my face and no disturbance or chance of excitement. Genuinely the first time ever I've actually slept at BDTBL. Thanks Slav and all the lads.

On the positive side, we looked so much more solid and organised with 3 at the back. I wasn't even worried we'd get caught out in the last 15 minutes like we usually do in tight games. But we are terminally fucking BORING! Slow, predictable, laboured, and completely fucking sterile. I turn up not expecting to be entertained or to get excited. I really don't have any expectation of us scoring a goal or looking like we really want to win.

This team/squad has no character, desire, or spine. They collect their wages and (probably) fuck off home with no feeling, leaving the media team to post a load of shit, glorifying a set of players that don't seem to give a flying fuck. I hate this team and I have no faith in the manager being able, or having the inclination, to turn it around and actually produce a winning team anytime soon.

I don't see any progress, promise. or hope for the future with this lot. I genuinely don't know where we go from here.

utb

Sadly, I have to agree with much of that. Which is a marker of how dismal we currently are. Over the last season and a half I’ve got used to being disappointed, but usually I manage to shrug it off and/or (increasingly this season) just laugh. Yesterday, by HT, I was actually angry.

A fortnight since the last game to address stuff. A formation change. A chance to deflect or reverse some of the discontent that’s been audibly brewing. And all that happens, in the first half at least, is that they pick up exactly where they left off at Blackburn. Except, probably, a step worse than that, when we had the ball at least.

First half: no desire, no heart, no tempo, no invention, no movement. Banal basic error after banal basic error. A number of players going the several extra miles needed to avoid receiving or getting anywhere close to the ball.

As many have said, this squad may be broken but it should easily have enough to stay out of the relegation mess. Keep playing like this, however, and you can count the cash I’d stake on us avoiding the bottom 4 on the fingers of no hand.

Glad you managed a kip though. Amen and hallelujah—yesterday being the day of rest for our players—to that.

Good stuff DB.
Harsh on Egan, he plays better with Bash? I think he trusts him to dig him out if he is caught out of position, usually doing somebody else's job!
I think he could've started with Didzy instead of Sharp and brought in Osborn, if only for his energy.

We need those wingers and a holding midd'y
Be interesting to see where and how he uses Berge

We are a team in transition, after January I expect to see Brewster and Mousett figure as our main scoring threat.

After January we will see more of how Slav' wants us to play

Oh, and Robbins is an average manager and always will be

Pathetic.
Similar to the Atkins era. Wilder was very clear about bringing in players that could handle the expectation of playing for this club. (i know this sounds like the sort of thing a pig fan would say). We could do with a Coutts or Duffy now.

Similar to the Atkins era. Wilder was very clear about bringing in players that could handle the expectation of playing for this club. (i know this sounds like the sort of thing a pig fan would say). We could do with a Coutts or Duffy now.

Yeah. And 5 of yesterday’s starting XI played in the team that finished 9th in the top division. It’s scarcely credible how poor, and how heartless, some of them have become.

I honestly think if Coventry had come to win, they would have. We never really looked like scoring.
Before the match i though i couldn't see where a goal would come from.
Second half i was just waiting and waiting for slav to put a striker on even Burke i would have welcomed.
Why didn't brewster get on the last game he played he finally scored what a way to encourage him by dropping him

Great report as always. I think the most depressing thing this season is how utterly shit this league is. I don't think it's ever been weaker and yet we can't even be average enough to be at the top end.
Totally agree.

We now play Reading, Bristol City, Cardiff...all below us and should in theory offer some points for us?

I don't see anything more than maybe a single point v Bristol City at best though.

I think we will then be 4th or 5th bottom and be only a point or two above the drop zone looking at teams of other fixtures next few weeks. How bad that I'm looking who Peterborough and Hill face? It's embarrassing.

He might have to get a win v QPR if above transpires to save his job with an inevitable stuffing at his old club Fulham away to come after that in all likelihood but will he even get to that?

I predict that they will mutually part ways with Jokanovic before Xmas.

Expect Hecky in charge for the rest of the season as we can't afford to bring anyone else in if still paying Slav.

You heard it here first. A depressing prediction for the next month.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him as not sure that is close to the answer but results and unrest on the terraces will see it probably happening if the trend of the last 4 or 5 performances and results continues for the next 4 or 5 and I see nothing to suggest it won't carry on like this.

Results and the genuine prospect of relegation which I thought would be nowhere near close to happening will mean they club will have to act. Sadly they can't sack the set of useless tossers on the pitch so the manager normally carries the can.

We only have Berge to come back so it's not like before January anyone is going to change anything?

Oh to show some fight like Derby just have. Who incidentally would be above us if it was not the points deduction.

God I'm living up to my miserable reputation but hard to be positive. Hope I come back to the post just before Xmas and we have win a few and Slav is still here but I'd be more surprised if that happens.

Good stuff DB.
Harsh on Egan, he plays better with Bash? I think he trusts him to dig him out if he is caught out of position, usually doing somebody else's job!
I think he could've started with Didzy instead of Sharp and brought in Osborn, if only for his energy.

We need those wingers and a holding midd'y
Be interesting to see where and how he uses Berge

We are a team in transition, after January I expect to see Brewster and Mousett figure as our main scoring threat.

After January we will see more of how Slav' wants us to play

Oh, and Robbins is an average manager and always will be

Egan routinely gets dominated by the sole striker he is up against. He is so weak for a big-ish lad. Yesterday he was lucky not to get sent off. He gets beat too easily and rarely wins headers when in duels. Even in a 3 he did not dominate and his passing was slow and behind players.

Really regressed last few years. Sad.

Totally agree.

We now play Reading, Bristol City, Cardiff...all below us and should in theory offer some points for us?

I don't see anything more than maybe a single point v Bristol City at best though.

I think we will then be 4th or 5th bottom and be only a point or two above the drop zone looking at teams of other fixtures next few weeks. How bad that I'm looking who Peterborough and Hill face? It's embarrassing.

He might have to get a win v QPR if above transpires to save his job with an inevitable stuffing at his old club Fulham away to come after that in all likelihood but will he even get to that?

I predict that they will mutually part ways with Jokanovic before Xmas.

Expect Hecky in charge for the rest of the season as we can't afford to bring anyone else in if still paying Slav.

You heard it here first. A depressing prediction for the next month.

I'm not advocating getting rid of him as not sure that is close to the answer but results and unrest on the terraces will see it probably happening if the trend of the last 4 or 5 performances and results continues for the next 4 or 5 and I see nothing to suggest it won't carry on like this.

Results and the genuine prospect of relegation which I thought would be nowhere near close to happening will mean they club will have to act. Sadly they can't sack the set of useless tossers on the pitch so the manager normally carries the can.

We only have Berge to come back so it's not like before January anyone is going to change anything?

Oh to show some fight like Derby just have. Who incidentally would be above us if it was not the points deduction.

God I'm living up to my miserable reputation but hard to be positive. Hope I come back to the post just before Xmas and we have win a few and Slav is still here but I'd be more surprised if that happens.
You forgot to mention that Wednesday will be going up!

You forgot to mention that Wednesday will be going up!

I'm not sure on that one. They'll probably get the play offs but not sure they'll go up. The giants of Wycombe and Plymouth might be too strong over two games.

I don't think we will go down either but on current form it's going to be closer than many if us even imagined unless we see some major changes on or off the pitch.

I think the worry is most can't see other than the odd win here and there but even these are now happening less and less. We are not playing Hull Peterborough or Barsnley again for a while...other than Stoke the only teams we can beat!

Do you think we will improve and start winning and can you see how those things may happen? That's not a loaded question.. I want to genuinely feel some home from those Blades that are more optimistic than I normally am!

Egan routinely gets dominated by the sole striker he is up against. He is so weak for a big-ish lad. Yesterday he was lucky not to get sent off. He gets beat too easily and rarely wins headers when in duels. Even in a 3 he did not dominate and his passing was slow and behind players.

Really regressed last few years. Sad.
I don't agree with that, he is definitely better with JOC along side him, we all know that, sure occasionally gets done over by a big centre forward, doesn't every player ? - even Ronaldo was in somebody's pocket in the International with Wales - can't think who that was 😅 😅

I don't agree with that, he is definitely better with JOC along side him, we all know that, sure occasionally gets done over by a big centre forward, doesn't every player ? - even Ronaldo was in somebody's pocket in the International with Wales - can't think who that was 😅 😅
I assume you mean Ireland. I'm not really interested how he plays for his country. I'm bothered how he does for us and most of the season he has not been able to offer the leadership and solidity we need.

Back
Top Bottom