Ground Zero

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
Before I start - I will admit I am a glass half full supporter, I look for the positives, so what is about to follow might be a big leap of faith for those on the other end of the scale but please bear with me :).

Last night, the horrendous, painfully slow, inept performance (told you I was glass half full) may well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened for SJ and the board.

SJ was appointed and it was rightfully lauded as a great appointment, his record speaks for itself. We were excited due to the brand of football his teams had played etc. He inherited what on the face of it was a team that had recently performed exceptionally at the highest level and were all proven, to a degree, at Championship level. Great - so far so good.

Birmingham match - new formation, visibly a new pattern of play, patient build up, looking to break the lines - the signs were there that something wasn't 'clicking', some players didn't look comfortable - however, lack of pre season, new system - understandable.

Swansea - similar to Birmingham but worryingly we seemed to have regressed slightly, less intensity, less capable of holding the ball etc.

Our previously set of 'core' players look uncomfortable, they seem like they have been programmed to play one way and are now not capable of changing. Fleck particularly looks lost, attackers out wide (due to the fact we have no natural wide players) look wasted, Basham in a back 2 means to lose the best of him.

SJ wanted to see what this squad of players could do - who wouldn't given their record - but I think last night was an eye opener as to what a restrictive squad he has. It is made it so alarmingly obvious that we need fresh players with fresh ideas, who break the mould of this rigid squad (rigid might be the wrong word, don't want to be overly negative given what they have achieved but I'm sure you understand).

The transition from defence to attack is non-existent and we don't have the players to solve this issue. We need 2 central midfielders, 2 wide players and a keeper - we get these we might just start to see SJs way.

I just hope the fans give SJ time, the board give him freedom, and most importantly SJ gives us time.

This squad was assembled to play 3-5-2 (or a variant of that). They clearly are struggling to adapt to the "new" formation SJ wants to play. This will only happen if SJ can get players he wants in to play his 4-2-1-2-1 formation otherwise this could be a very long season.

WBA aren't a particularly a good footballing team. They have chosen the biggest players they could find. Use a high line, set pieces especially the long throw and bully the opposition with size and strength.

We need to start McBurnie and Brewster up top, sign some quick wide players who are able to go past the forwards, it’s all about getting the ammunition for the strikers.

WBA aren't a particularly a good footballing team. They have chosen the biggest players they could find. Use a high line, set pieces especially the long throw and bully the opposition with size and strength.
It worked a treat though.

I think Jokanovic will walk if he doesn't get any signings soon/by the end of the window

Back
Top Bottom