Their “goal”

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JohnStreet

Reaction score
We got a let off with the Brighton equaliser ruled out by VAR offside decision. I think if it had been us we’d have been well miffed.
When their player sort of slipped and headed it on, for me it didn’t look like the ball was played forwards. Any comments anyone?

We got a let off with their equaliser ruled out by VAR offside decision. I think it had been us we’d have been well miffed.
When their player sort of slipped and headed it on, for me it didn’t look like the ball was played forwards. Any comments anyone?
Only that their player ran from an offside position to hook the ball in for the goal.

We got a let off with the Brighton equaliser ruled out by VAR offside decision. I think if it had been us we’d have been well miffed.
I thought the same. If the ball is not passed forward can a player be offside?

VAR will try to find anyway it can to send a player off, disallow a goal or find a player offside

I’m fully expectant that every goal will be chalked off

It's no different to a free kick from the halfway line with the attacker sitting offside only to run from behind to win the ball. It was offside

I thought similar at the time then quickly realised I was confusing the rule of a player can’t be offside if he’s behind a player of the same team to if the ball is being played backwards you can’t be offside.

You can be offside if a ball is played backwards if the player who is receiving the ball was in front at the time of the pass. This rule has always been the case but it’s easy to confuse or misinterpret a rule with how many changes they have done with the offside and many other rules of the game.

Considering the frequent, sustained and less than ideally lubricated humpings that we have endured by VAR, I think we are still due a few let offs. But as it happens I thought this one was the right call.

He was in front of the player so it was offside, the fact that the ball went backwards is irrelevant.
I agree, and by the rule, I think it is too.
In terms of what the rule is for, I think examples like this should be allowed, by the rule being tweaked. He's not gaining an advantage been were he was.

Exactly. The offisde rule doesn't dictate whether the ball is played forward or not. As such, no argument - it was legitimately offside

He was clearly offside when the ball was played forward. The linesman should have spotted this and flagged, without the need to go to VAR.

He was ahead of the player who headed the ball and benefited by being in an offside position even though he came back.

Correct decision although I didn't realise it in real time due to the TV angle.

Nothing to do with the position of the ball Moder came back from an offside position. This came into play when a) player headed it up (didnt matter what way ball went player touched the ball) at that time Moder was in an offside position, came back into play and scored.

Not a let off at all I thought off side straight away. Looking at the replay two of their players were offside VAR got it correct, nothing to see here as no United player touched the ball before Moder hooked it in.

Wasn't there goals at Man City and Barnsley a few months ago that involved the same scenario of a player coming back from offside and scoring sparking off arguments ?

It was the strangest offside I have seen but it was a correct decision. None of our players appealed, the linesman (dont blame him) will have been confused because there was no intention of the assister trying to play a pass to the scorer. I had only spotted it when the first replay was shown

It was the strangest offside I have seen but it was a correct decision. None of our players appealed, the linesman (dont blame him) will have been confused because there was no intention of the assister trying to play a pass to the scorer. I had only spotted it when the first replay was shown
I called it before he’d scored

I can predict there will be so many times next season where will be up in arms in horror that we don't have VAR. There will be so many quotes from our supporters such as; 'if we had VAR, our goal would have stood' or, 'if we had VAR, their goal would have been ruled out', or even and hopefully, 'when we gat back into the Premier, we will have at least VAR to get these decisions right'.
Ironic eh?

I can predict there will be so many times next season where will be up in arms in horror that we don't have VAR. There will be so many quotes from our supporters such as; 'if we had VAR, our goal would have stood' or, 'if we had VAR, their goal would have been ruled out', or even and hopefully, 'when we gat back into the Premier, we will have at least VAR to get these decisions right'.
Ironic eh?
I agree, there have been a lot of terrible decisions by the ref in Championship matches from what I have seen on Quest channel.

Ironic eh?
I suspect that those who are generally in favour of VAR will say that and those who aren't won't, but will still criticise an official making a wrong decision, which is perfectly reasonable. I also expect a lot of people will make the claim that fans complained about VAR when we had it and now complain that we don't have VAR, when in fact it is not the same people, or at least only a tiny minority.

Back
Top Bottom