Chelsea 4 United 1 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Pod and report on another defeat

---

Another week, another defeat and the Blades horror show of a season continues as they now sit firmly at the bottom of the Premier League. Albeit it a tough trio of games that many feared after a poor start, other teams have picked up points from some of these sides but United sadly picked up absolutely nothing. With another international break now upon us, Blades fans know if they do not start picking up points in the next group of games in the lead up to Xmas, then their stay in the top flight will be over within two seasons. Certainly, Wilder’s man have a mountain to climb already. Today, a strong and star-studded Chelsea side were too strong for the Blades despite a good start from the away team.

United made one enforced change with Oliver Norwood back in for the ineligible Ethan Ampadu but changed things in midfield with Lundstram in for Osborn and up top with David McGoldrick in for Oli McBurnie who apparently had been ill in the week. McBurnie was deemed well enough to be on the bench. Chelsea started with summer signings Mendy, Silva and Chilwell in defence and further up the field Ziyech and Werner. There was no Kai Havertz due to isolating with Covid.

The game began with United starting well with them pressing and forcing the home team back. Basham’s cross was cut out after Berge had got down the right early on. The first chance came for Chelsea though when Abraham got away from Egan and after the cross came over the striker then flicked it on and Ramsdale had to save from Chilwell from point blank range.

United had a half chance when the long diagonal ball from Egan put in Baldock on the angle but his shot was deflected wide off Chilwell. United won two successive corners and then from the final one they took a surprise lead. Norwood and Baldock worked space well and Norwood’s pass sent the wing back clear and his precise pull back was sent goalwards by Berge and MCGOLDRICK flicked it home superbly with his back to goal. It was a deserved goal for a solid start from United.

The Blades came continued to compete well and were playing with confidence but Abraham came inside and had an effort easily saved from Ramsdale. Chelsea then had the ball for a large spell of possession and began to force United back and were really in the ascendancy. Lowe had a shot that was saved in a moment of restbite but the equaliser seemed to be coming after such domination of the ball and so it proved.

Stevens once again made another mistake as he lost his runner Kovacic who got away from him and pulled it back. ABRAHAM did not get the cleanest of finish but bounced it into the ground and into the goal as Basham could not het his head on it.

Chelsea continued to cause problems down the left-hand side and Lowe, Stevens and Lundstram were losing runners and not switched on. Lowe gave away another free kick and Ramsdale then had to push away from a free kick but not far enough and Werner smashed it against the bar. It was a let off for United.

Chelsea were now totally in the ascendancy and continued to probe. Ramsdale made another mistake when he pushed away a weak cross out for a corner when he should have held it and from the corner, the ball was put into the box from the Chelsea right hand side again. The cross was dangerous but should have been cut out. Lowe was fast asleep but Ramsdale has to get the ball as it was right in front of goal but CHILWELL bundled it in. The full back almost had his back on it as he turned it in but was still braver than the Blades goalkeeper who continued his wobbly display.

Chelsea were now rampant and nearly made it three as Chilwell turned a shot goalwards after poor defending saw United fail to clear it three times and Ramsdale had to push it away for a corner. United had a rare attack and won a corner but it bounced across the goal. After this United did finally have a spell of possession but moved it around rather aimlessly and Chelsea just got men back and it petered out.

The half time whistle came soon after with the home side deserving to lead after dominating the game outside the first 10 minutes and having the bulk of the chances. It was another poor display from the Blades full of defensive mistakes but also, they had not seen anywhere near enough of the ball and created little once again.

Chelsea began the second half with a chance and nearly made it three as Stevens’ poor header saw a chance for Kovacic but Basham got back well to make the block. The corner was cleared but both Lundstram and Basham have it away in close succession. On 55 minutes Ziyech hit a shot that was heading for the top corner but it was flicked away from Egan.

Chelsea were simply dominating the game and United could barely get a kick at all. Chelsea had two more chances to score after Brewster’s awful clearance saw Abraham have his effort blocked from Egan and then Ramsdale spilt another cross shot with Stevens injured in the melee.

The home side continued to be in complete control so Wilder tried to change things and McBurnie and Osborn came on for Brewster and Norwood. Berge gave it away twice and then fouled his man. The James free kick was pushed away by Ramsdale

Kovacic then shot just wide after more good movement. United simply could not get in the game at all. It was easy as Chelsea were not only showing quality on the ball but also competing and winning all the loose balls. It was so easy for the home side.

The game entered the final 20 minutes and Werner had a shot blocked and United had not mustered an attack with a rare moment seeing Baldock overhit a cross.

Kovacic took a knock and came off for Jorginho but it was one-way traffic still and the Blades rarely even kept the ball for more than one or two passes. A daft foul from Lowe saw a whipped free kick from Ziyech and as Ramsdale flapped again, SILVA beat McBurnie to it to power his header home. This effectively sealed the game but in truth just like last week, even though there had only been one goal in it this had been very one sided.

Chelsea moved the ball about well again and Silva sent a delightful ball that sent Werner clear and he lobbed the ball just wide with the United defence all over the place, with a few going out and a few staying. It was now becoming a bit embarrassing for United who were second best all over the field and the fourth goal came. It was a simple ball from Ziyech and WERNER came in and smashed the ball past Ramsdale. For this goal he had no chance.

United had completely gone and at this point it was now a matter of how many goals Chelsea would score. They continued to move it around well but United at least had a spell and won a few corners near the end but they had not mounted one meaningful attack on the Chelsea goal in a pitiful second half performance.

There was an additional three minutes of stoppage time to be played and Mount nearly got another as his shot was flicked up and over by Ramsdale.

The full time whistle came with both teams playing out time and United probably just desperate to get back up north and somehow regroup after the international break.

United – It’s looking really bleak. It has been a disastrous season. Other teams are at least picking up something here and there. We just keep losing. Every week. Yes, it was going to be hard today but did I fancy us getting anything? No and sadly so it proved. We played well for 10 minutes and started really well but the rest of the game we were completely outclassed by better players who were quicker, stronger, better movement and just skill wise far better than us. It is the first time we have played this season we have had a proper going over but I felt last week it could easily been this despite some seeing different things to me.

We started well and scored and I felt we gave ourselves a chance but as soon as they equalised you knew that was that. We almost waited till they scored goal after goal. We stayed in at half time just but then the second half was pathetic. Yes, they are good but we did not lay a glove on them and they just passed it round us. They moved off us all over the field and cut us up time after time. 4-1 was about right – it maybe could have been more. They were just way too good for us. A lot will be made of tactics and formation and of course we are right to discuss this but today individually and collectively we were soundly beaten.

I thought we might maybe get a point or even a surprise win in the last three tough games but we got nothing. Other teams are picking up points against these teams. We got sod all. We now are really rooted in a run of horrible form. I keep getting criticised for going back to last season but it is now 0 wins in 11 games and away from home the form is abysmal – we have won one game away in 2020 at Palace and one win in I think 13 away games and lost most off them too. We used to proud ourselves on how attacking we were away from home and how we would go at teams but now it’s nothing like that.

A lot are saying that’s the tough three games out of the way and we can crack on but it does not always work like that and some are very optimistic thinking it will suddenly turn around. We have not shown many signs we can turn it around no matter who we play next. We now have huge pressure on games to come. West Ham are better than last year. West Brom can score goals and are at home and then Leicester and Southampton are scoring. I cam struggling to see where the next goal let alone point or win will come from. That is not defeatist that is based what we have seen bar an ok showing first half v Leeds, a decent first half v Fulham and a good show at Liverpool and 10 minutes today. So, we have maybe put in about 100 minutes of good football in 720 minutes. The rest we have been shocking and deserve to be where we are. We are bottom as we are the worst team in the league. It is that simple. We have gone from being really good to awful. It’s a combination of things but maybe post lockdown we saw glimpses to be concerned. I think the crowd thing is a factor but the players have to be better and is a weak mentality if they need fans to get them going. Too many are feeling sorry for themselves and are playing poorly. A few are not good enough and nowhere near ready for this league also. That combined with no leadership on the field and I would suggest off it where the manager is just blaming them at the moment adds up the worst storm sadly.

I was worried last season we would like we have this season – a side that maybe had gone a level too far but we were incredible last season. It went from being a surprise to actually thinking we have really good player and many are easily Premier League level and this system was incredible. Now with a few injuries but still the bulk of the side and system, we look like a different side in terms of performance and results. You now think maybe it was a season last year where everything came together and the likes of Baldock, Stevens, Norwood, McGoldrick, McBurnie actually are Championship players and now look out of their depth. It’s odd as has happened maybe the wrong way round. I expected a struggle last year but maybe we’d just stay up and then these with additions would improve. However, the team, players and manager look devoid of confidence, ideas and hunger. That hunger we had getting up the leagues and last year has gone. We are not winning the infamous races, headers and tackles Wilder describes so now against better players who last year we managed to compete and even outdo even for skill, we look like a plucky cup team at best competing against juggernauts.

They had movement, skill and like las week it looked like 12 v 9 or 10 at times. It was so one sided after the opening spell. I carried on watching but it was hard to watch it and it was just a matter of how many we would let in. For all the talk of us not losing by loads this season we now have the worst goal difference in the league and today got a proper going over. If the manager and players don’t wake up and stop feeling sorry for themselves, they will get many more tonkings. At the moment the players need to wake up or they will be back at a lower level on a lot less wages and all the praise and fanfare will be long forgotten. Football is a fickle business and for Wilder and the players they will realise that quickly.

Much is made of the style and how we play now not working – we are not creating chances but I also think the little things, pressing, tackling, running or not where we were. We seem to have lost fitness and sharpness and everything combines makes us look what we are – the worst side in the Premier League. Everyone slammed Norwich last season but at least they were adventurous and scored. Naïve maybe but they did have a go until ran out of gas when they were almost gone by lockdown. We look an insipid and sad to say it, boring side. I think even Fulham and West Brom are more adventurous than us. Only Burnley rival us for dullness. If we are going to go down then let’s do it with a style or flair. I am not sure what we are now? Wilder seems clueless how to turn it round. However, I actually think more than tactics it is simply individually and collectively we are not good enough. Players are losing battles and we look shot confidence wise. Maybe if we got a result from somewhere, we could get back into things in terms of the mix of staying up but at the moment we are on course to rival that Derby team as the worst team in Premier League history. People will say keep the faith and of course you never know but there are so many things wrong at the moment. Lots will be made of us missing this player or that player or Ramsdale or Lundstram or the wing backs or Brewster or the other strikers or Norwood. Then it’s the formation and the tactics. The fact I have reeled off so many things make us realise what an uphill task it will be to even have a chance at staying up. Football is not fun to watch at the moment and United look a beaten side in most games long before they are. Even today at 1-1 I thought that was it.

There is no fight and no skill. Nothing really. We are conceding goals, not scoring (at least got one tody) and not competing. We scored a nice goal today but that was it – in 90 minutes. Two games of watching vastly superior teams just pass round us. Yes, they are miles better but not sure other teams have looked so inferior as us – and some other poor teams have played these two teams.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 4/10 – Had a really dodgy game. He saved one early from Chilwell but then pushed a few out that he should have held or pushed further away. He gave away a corner that led to the goal and then just stayed on his line. It was a really bad mistake. Then pushed another away when he should have claimed 2nd half. The 3rd goal he is nowhere and well beaten by a centre back and then he seems all over on other chances and nearly pushed one into his net at the end. Looked all over the place and although not helped by what was in front of him, he had a really bad day with mistakes aplenty. He had improved since a poor start but was not good today. Gains a point just for making a few saves I suppose.

Baldock 5.5/10 – Like the team began well. Involved and set up the goal with a good cross but then Chilwell caused him lots of problems and was one of their main threats. Then got worse as the game went on and rarely was tight to his man as they ran off us all over the field. Got forward a bit near the end but it was another game where better movement and quality showed him at full stretch. Last year was seen as a real stand out but looks one of the poorest wing/full backs in the division this year.

Lowe 3/10 – Not sure on him last week when some were praising him and today he looked a bit out of his depth sadly and had a bit of a nightmare. They attacked at will down that side and knew he was struggling with the movement and quality. Most of their attacks came from crosses or moments down here in the first half when he was not switched on or tight enough to his man. Not sure he got much help from Lundstram or Stevens. Second half he continued his poor showing and gave it away a lot or lost his man. They continued to cause problems down his side. He gave it away that led to more chances and I think at times he looked like he just wanted to come off but oddly we kept him on. Looked like a player that was not even a regular for a mid table Championship side last season.

Stevens 4/10 – Started ok but then started losing runners and on the first goal he lost his man and was another mistake. Not sure he is a centre back but he is probably still preferable to Robinson who also has made a number of mistakes this season. Teams are exploiting gaps between the wing back and centre back particularly down the left for us. He made another error second half with a bad header they should have scored and then lost runners again on another few chances. He seems to be struggling with when to come up and when to sit and is slow to react to things. Not sure it is working him there but what do we do as Robinson was as bad?

Basham 7/10 – Our best player by a mile. Yes, he made mistakes with a few giveaways too but he competed, tried to go forward and made blocks and tackles and at least kept going. He looked a bit at a loss why others were not putting the same effort in as him. Felt sorry for him. He is one of the few who comes out with any credit of a woeful season.

Egan 5.5/10 – Struggled with Abraham last year at Stamford Bridge and the same this year with his height, movement and running. He showed his lack of pace at times and always seemed at full stretch. Very deep too. He did make a few good blocks second half – two that maybe saved two certain goals but then they ripped us apart as he seemed to come out too early and played them onside twice. He and the whole defence looked like they were just shouting, ‘Help!’ at the end. People have lauded our defence saying not many are scoring loads. Well now it is the worst defence in the league statistically and that along with the worst attack will mean relegation.

Lundstram 3/10 – Not in the game first half at all. Not sure he touched it the first 25 minutes. Then he gave it away and then let Lowe get one on one time after time. He did not help the wing back and when he had the ball, he just lost it. Second half he was even worse, he did not even press, tackle or cover and maybe as well not have been there. The odd time he had it he got outmuscled or passed it to them. In previous games I have felt he has put effort in. I am sure he will get criticised a lot tonight for the lack of effort and maybe that is fair but it was not just him why we lost but he was crap.

Norwood 4.5/10 – Started the game well with a few good balls and switch of play and did great on the goal. He was involved for the first 20 minutes but then gradually they had more and more of the ball. They came onto us and just had so much of it; he could not make an impact. I am not sure he saw much or anything of the ball and was taken off on the hour. We maybe got worse when he went off with Berge in that position. So, the argument for Berge playing him over him there is not that strong either. I think Ampadu when he can play may have to have a prolonged spell there as we are simply getting overrun in midfield. We don’t have the legs and as a result don’t see enough of the ball.

Berge 5/10 – Our best midfielder by virtue of one early run and a good pass to the goal. After that he did not have any influence on the game. He lost it dithering in possession, did not offer any protection for the defence and did not get stuck in or exert himself. He may be quality but if he does not impose himself what is the point? If the games just pass him by then he cannot show that quality. Maybe for a better team he does that but at the moment he is with us so we need him to get on the ball, break things up. Our midfield second half was pathetic and as much as the defence will get panned and our lack of goal threat, we never stopped any moves, got stuck in. It was like a practice game. Three times he got it 2nd half 2-1 down and just came backwards or sideways and never drove forward or tried to give any service to the strikers.

Brewster 2/10 – Not in the game at all. Yes, he had no service and his mark may seem harsh but he looked like a little kid playing in a man’s game that had been given a chance to play with the big lads. He had no service again but even McGoldrick got involved a bit and showed flashes. The ball came off him. I think he gets 2 for winning one free kick and chasing one other ball down. That was it. He is really struggling and even nearly gave them a goal. He was chuntering when he came off but what does he think will change. Yes, we need to get him in the games more but a team at the bottom is not going to see lots of balls or have lots of chances. We do need to use him somehow but I do expect a nuisance factor, more effort, chase things, try and come deeper. If he is a box player who scores goals then he is the wrong signing for us. We won’t have lots of chances and he won’t see tons of the ball. Burke is a better option currently. We need to someone to keep the ball or stretch teams – this lad is not doing anything and looks miles off being ready for the Premier League. He may come good but we cannot carry people and we are carrying too many at the moment. Needs to be taken out of the team and used in cameos.

McGoldrick 5/10- Started the game really well and scored a good goal and involved in linking well and showed some bits but as the game went on became more and more isolated and the game just passed him by as they had attack after attack. He maybe should have come deeper and gave us an extra man but they were attacking down the sides so he could not even help us get more of the ball. He had no partner with him at all and thus he was our only half threat up top.

Subs –

McBurnie – Fouled someone stupidly and lucky not to be booked and lost a header for the goal. Great stuff. Apart from that not sure he touched the ball.

Osborn – Ran around after better players and seemed a bit startled by the quality of pace and movement and we got worse after the changes but think this was as much about them just finally putting chances to bed and our tiring players not being able to keep up.

Manager Wilder 3/10 – Had so many plaudits off his own fans and local media and this extended nationally and even internationally. He was literally the trendiest thing in football last year. Shows how people’s stock can fall (look at Eddie Howe now – would he even get more than a mid table Champ side if he came back) and that you have to produce results consistently. We all got very prickly about media saying teams might work us out/one season wonder/second season syndrome but as much as we can discuss injuries (had a few yes) there is still an argument that even though players have been off form, our way of playing has been found out to some extent. Teams load the sides, we don’t go through the middle, we don’t shoot and don’t try and go through sides. We always try and go round. I am shocked Wilder was not ready for teams to combat elements of our style but as much as I love him, he is quite stubborn and now needs to act. The notion of him losing his job is ridiculous. I don’t buy the he could lose every game and we would/should not sack him. I actually believe if we went down with like less than 10 points, I’d still keep him for the Championship but owners are notoriously fickle and if we were rock bottom with 3 or 4 points into the new year, I would not be shocked if the owner did make a change. I think that would be wrong but he will feel he has backed him hugely and for the most part many of signings have made little to no impact in terms of what you would expect (McBurnie, Freeman, Robinson and now Brewster albeit tiny sample size – people will say we can’t judge him but then who’s fault is that in terms of the style).

Be an interesting time the next few months. Certainly, if we fail to get a win in the next 2-3 not only will it mean there is a huge chance we are going down – we have to get going soon – we are not going to do what Bassett’s team did in 1991. However, would also lead too doubts about him (not from me or most fans) staying in charge. The notion of even discussion this seems ridiculous but we are rock bottom and had one of the worst starts of any team at this level for a long time and are playing garbage and never look like scoring. He said today it was no good opening up as it could be any score. Well we did not open up and it was any score – we got hammered. We should have last week. I am not sure what his approach is at the moment. We are not even trying to score goals or win games. The current approach and performances and we will barely get another point this season. It is so boring and negative to watch us. Chelsea have better players but it has been like that all season. His star has fallen so fast and all the talk about him being the next big thing has long been forgotten sadly. He needs to look at himself as much as the players as the way we are approaching games and the lack of attacking plan allied with the fragile confidence means he has to take a fair amount of blame rather than criticising the players as he is doing so much at the moment.

Chelsea – They have spent a lot of money over the summer with Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Chilwell, Mendy and Silva coming in to the tune of 220 million +. Some of them showed today why they had brought them in and they looked much better than the side we beat easily and drew with- albeit us being nowhere near the same side.

Of course, Lampard had to make do with that he had (which was still probably more than most in terms of the wage bill/playing squad) last season and did ok to get them into the Champions League. I do think he was lucky to get the job after a so-so year with a good Derby side but of course that happens with the likes of him and Gerrard. The start to the season has been up and down but are still are around the top 4. Not sure they will compete with Liverpool/City to get into the top 2 and 3rd might be the best they can aim for. At least last season they blooded some youngsters making use of a ridiculous sized squad with so many out on loan too. Reece James, Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori did well and are all around the side regularly now.

The squad is still ridiculous in comparison to the teams near the bottom in terms of talent, wages and international experience but is a lot younger than many of the other top teams. Yes, Kante, Silva, Giroud, Azpilicueta are still there but the bulk of the side is quite youthful. So, if they keep them together, they can grow but then you see the likes of Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek and even our lad, Ampadu, then you worry how they can ever be regulars when they keep spending like 40-50 million bringing in the likes of above. I think Pulisic is a fantastic player (not even playing today) and Werner has shown flashes. Chilwell is a solid left back if ridiculously overpriced but not sure they have one player that makes me think wow like City with De Bruyne (even Aguero and Sterling) and Liverpool with the front three. Does that matter? I don’t know but they will beat a lot of the crap sides like us but against the other big sides not sure they will win enough.

Today, it was all too easy. They started badly but then reacted well and after that they won the game easily. Ziyech was superb but every single one of their player man for man looked far better. Only Basham can come off and say he played ok for us whilst the other 10 were better in every way. They missed lots of chances and 4-1 was maybe flattering for us really. They moved it about and exposed our defence, particularly down the left but knew they had quicker and more skilled players. I felt they could score at any time really and although the goals were soft at times, they could have had a lot more. Lampard will wonder what happened to the brave, aggressive Blades he faced last season? 71% possession and a second half where they barely had an attack to deal with and just picked us off at will. Easiest win they will have this season despite having a poor start.

Opponent Man of the Match – Ziyech. Excellent. Involved in everything but Kovacic was good. Abraha played well too causing us problems and Chilwell was a threat. They had players coming at us from all areas but the right-hand side was a particular strength with Ziyech and James causing so many issues

Opponent Weak link – I felt Werner was quiet but then scored and could have had a few more. I am not sure Zouma is that great but had an easy game today.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Jonathan Moss. Easy game. Booked a few of ours for daft ones. He could have booked more but we weren’t even quick enough to properly foul them. 14 fouls to 4 sums it up.

You saw a different Basham to me, but mine are fairly similar

Started off ok but as soon as they settled down we just let them do what they want. Like we did last week. May as well have asked them how many they wanted to score. We pressed for like 15 minutes and then just backed off them. We pulled a few shirts but hardly put a tackle in. We let them attack at will and hoped they wouldn't score. I'm confused as to what the management team are doing. Our system has been sussed. It was last season. Unless we're playing 110% and all on form we have hardly anything to threaten any team. We look scared. We used to go at teams. Now we sink to our knees and supplicate ourselves in worship or all their world class players. We look shattered. We're only playing one game per week when everyone we're playing is playing two yet looking much fitter. And we only used two subs and for the life of me what has Burke done wrong?

Ramsdale - 5 - I got called names for pointing out he makes at least one bad mistake every game. He was a mess tonight. Can't catch or hold a ball. By punching or handbagging everything he is giving corners and possession away. Catch the bloody ball. Distribution is beyond awful. Makes some standard or good saves then messes one up. He does not command his area. He waits to react to touches in the box instead of collecting the ball. When he does run out for it he's often nowhere near it. Must improve. At the moment, I'm not sure he's earning a place ahead of someone else. Apart from Foderingham. He's worse.
Lowe - 4.5 - nowhere near their man for 90 minutes. Ziyech had the easiest game of his life. Never close to him or chasing shadows. Not helped by a woeful Stevens or at all by Lundstram. Put one good first time cross in but doesn't look good enough defensively at the moment. Poor tracking from the corner for their goal.
Stevens - 4 - A liability all game. If he's not making mistakes, which he seems to make with frequency in a back three, he's allowing men to run off him. Not helped by Lundstram who never seems to be anywhere near helping.
Egan - 5- Poor all game. Gave a stupid free kick away and generally looked slow and close to a mistake all the time. He's not marshalling the defence at the moment and, as a unit, we look all over the shop
Basham - 4 - Mistake-ridden and too eager to charge out and leave a massive gap behind him when not getting the ball. Did well first half to get to the by-line a couple of times but when the CBs are not getting forward he looks poor at the back.
Baldock - 5 - Wasteful going forward but looked shaky at the back. They didn't really attack him that much but when they did it was fairly simple to go round him.
Lundstram - 3 - Bizarrely, he's our only player who see to get in the right positions to get the ball but when he does he just seems to move forward until an opposition player blocks him and then turn back. The 3 is for the fact, and this has happened most weeks this season, he has give his defence very little cover. When he's on the ball he doesn't look confident but off the ball he looks half-arsed and never busts a gut to get back.
Norwood - 5.5 - Defensively, pretty non-descript. However, he was the best thing we had when on the ball. Shifted the ball quickly and well. The only person seemingly capable of passing long distances forward. Surprised when he came off but he seems to be struggling to play 90 minutes after being a regular for us last year.
Berge - 5 - Far too slow on the ball. Gets caught out frequently and today didn't seem to have the legs or strength to get out of it. He started off ok but gradually faded.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - Clever finish for the goal and made a lot of runs first half to give us an out ball. Faded badly after the hour but was the one attacking player actually causing their defenders and midfielders problems.
Brewster - 3.5 - Touched the ball 4 times first half. Was a bit more involved second half but never in the right place, doesn't close down defenders anywhere near well enough and when he does get the ball takes too many touches. Slow to the react and I currently have not idea why we've signed him. Let alone why he's our most expensive player ever. He looked lively for Swansea last season but that was in a team which created a lot of chances and had their fair share of possession. We haven't been that team for 20 games and it currently looks like a baffling decision to sign him. We needed a player who can offer more than converting chances. I'm seeing nothing from him so far. Might come good but not in the style we're playing. Gets an extra .5 because I really think he's been shafted by Wilder. Why he's been chucked in at the deep end against the best 3 teams in the league is beyond me. They're clearly not games suited to how he plays. Makes no sense.
McBurnie - 5 - We looked better with him on the pitch but he did next to nothing. Held the ball up a few times and played players in but he slows things down and seems to need an extra touch all the time.
Osborn - 4.5 - Ran about a bit but had absolutely zero impact on the game

Wilder - 2 - Yes, the players have been poor this season but all he seems to do is blame everyone but himself. We gave up before we started against Chelsea and Man City. We're simply not having a go this season. We're not attacking teams. We're running scared. He can say the players have lost confidence or not doing what he wants but he doesn't look particularly animated on the touchline when they simply back off the opposition and let them play. He needs to change something, quickly. If this goes on to Christmas we're as good as down. It's like Chris Wilder died during first lockdown and we've replaced him with a clone who can only do what his programming tells him. People calling for his head are morons but he needs to answer some strong questions about what he's actually doing to earn his money at the moment.

I wouldn’t have marked any of the midfield any higher than a 4/10 today, I thought they were all shite. Norwood perhaps had a decent 45 but crumbled after HT. Lundstram was anonymous and Berge gave it away every time he had it.

Bash/Egan were ok and the rest going through the motions. Front two absolutely starved of the ball and for what Brewster offered (not sure it was all his fault) we’d have been better with more legs in midfield.

The left side is a massive worry. Ironically it’s looked it’s best away at Liverpool with Osborn at wingback - maybe we should have kept him there. Personally feel we’d be better with a back 4 now but we have no one to partner Egan at CB that can be depended upon. Not replacing O’Connell immediately is looking such a naive decision.

Lundstram 3/10 – Not in the game first half at all. Not sure he touched it the first 25 minutes. Then he gave it away and then let Lowe get one on one time after time. He did not help the wing back and when he had the ball, he just lost it. Second half he was even worse, he did not even press, tackle or cover and maybe as well not have been there. The odd time he had it he got outmuscled or passed it to them. In previous games I have felt he has put effort in. I am sure he will get criticised a lot tonight for the lack of effort and maybe that is fair but it was not just him why we lost but he was crap.

Norwood 4.5/10 – Started the game well with a few good balls and switch of play and did great on the goal. He was involved for the first 20 minutes but then gradually they had more and more of the ball. They came onto us and just had so much of it; he could not make an impact. I am not sure he saw much or anything of the ball and was taken off on the hour. We maybe got worse when he went off with Berge in that position. So, the argument for Berge playing him over him there is not that strong either. I think Ampadu when he can play may have to have a prolonged spell there as we are simply getting overrun in midfield. We don’t have the legs and as a result don’t see enough of the ball.

Berge 5/10 – Our best midfielder by virtue of one early run and a good pass to the goal. After that he did not have any influence on the game. He lost it dithering in possession, did not offer any protection for the defence and did not get stuck in or exert himself. He may be quality but if he does not impose himself what is the point? If the games just pass him by then he cannot show that quality. Maybe for a better team he does that but at the moment he is with us so we need him to get on the ball, break things up. Our midfield second half was pathetic and as much as the defence will get panned and our lack of goal threat, we never stopped any moves, got stuck in. It was like a practice game. Three times he got it 2nd half 2-1 down and just came backwards or sideways and never drove forward or tried to give any service to the strikers.

At the moment we play with a three man midfield, i.e. our formation has become 5-3-1-1, not 3-5-2. With our wing backs pegged back by opposition wide men, our midfielders get too much space to cover. Chelsea started a lot of attacks wide, often switching play deep. In doing so they got past our first line of defence Brewster, and some admirable chasing apart, McGoldrick too. So when they had it wide and deep, it was Berge and Lundstram who had to go and close them down - usually in vain - before trying to get back in position - knowing that we had a 2 man midfield left. Norwood held a deep central position, but he struggles to get close enough to make challenges. What happens is that we allow the opposition to just camp in our half, passing it around us, and eventually gaps appear.

Like when they scored, Lundstram, the poor sod, is having to push over again, but can't get near enough and the guy on the ball can pick his pass. Our defence are not realising what's happening and this is something Egan tends to struggle with. He doesn't realise the danger of the ball in behind when the man on the ball is not closed down well enough. So the defence are too high up with too much space behind them and the runner gets away from Stevens.

1604784726889.png

This is why I think we should try 5-4-1 against great/in form sides like these, to give us another body across midfield. This would enable us to get closer to players and press them better. That body should be Burke, who can also link up with the striker when we're in possession. Brewster had two or three touches first half, and that's a luxury we can't afford - it's almost like playing with 10 men.

I agree. Two strikers up top been a waste of time the last three games. We needed an extra body in midfielder who could plug the gaps out wide.

lost against much better players,end of story. Points are sensless when the team awol. Chelsea peaked tonight, best performance of the season. All teams in the Pl have better players than us, when the team doesn't work, we're done.

Well, I enjoyed the first 10 minutes, and we scored a nice goal, so there’s that.

Some thoughts:

1. The image summing up the season so far was Ramsdale and McBurnie colliding as the ball sails past them into the net for the third.

2. We actually might have had something to defend or build on in the second half if we had an average PL keeper. An average keeper would have reached the first and wouldn’t have stood like a coward on his goal line when the ball came in for the second.

3. Brewster looks like a mascot who has stayed on the field by accident after the coin toss. Probably harsh on a mascot, who might put himself about a bit. What a wretched display.

4. Bringing on Osborn and McBurnie is about as depressing a double substitution as you can make.

5. I am starting to think this team is of Derby 2008 quality.

6. Looking forward to the international break. We can’t lose if we do not play.

Think Klopp took us to the cleaners with Brewster. Makes you wonder if he’s even on the pitch. Has zero anticipation and very little speed or skill.
I hope it’s just a slow start for the lad. Sharp would offer ten times what he does so far right now.

Rammers scares me to death. The way he neshed out on the second goal was shocking.
He’s an athletic shot stopper but cannot handle crosses of any type.

Rammers should have cleaned out everyone from the cross for their 2nd. A decent keeper doing his job has that ball all day long and the forward is expecting a heavy challenge after the keeper collects the ball. The fact was though he was rooted to his line. Bad mistake.

We should have got the keeper from Watford as a stop gap this season.

I worry about Ramsdale. On the face of it he makes some decent saves every game although ones you would expect a top keeper to make and does not drop any real howlers. However you cannot help with about half the goals we have conceded this season if he shouldn't be doing better and would expect him to have saved some of them. Think he is been left exposed a lot and having to many shots to face but not seen him make any really what you would call an exceptional save. Have to say yesterday though he was poor and did not inspire any confidence whatsoever

Ramsdale was awful yesterday but after a shaky start was playing ok in the other games. The fact he is facing shot after shot every week and having so much to do is an even bigger concern..I am not sure Henderson was putting in man of the match performances week in, week out last season. He did not have much to do in most games. I think if he was here now we would still be bottom. There are far bigger issues than the keeper. Yes a downgrade but as I say I'm more concerned teams are creating 10-12 good chances almost every game.

Our only hope is for the Moose to get fit and do a Deeno of 1991!

We just have no stand out quality like we did in 1991.

Burke could help us stretch the opposition if he is actually picked!

Wish we has spent the Brewster money on a loan for Brookes. You need quality, arguably two of are best three players are injured in Jack and Fleck, with the only premier quality flare is in the body of an injured, never fully fit play boy, who if he had the desire and professionalism of Bash could be a top level player.

We need some luck and then a bit of flare and then some more luck.

At least I'll be able to get away tickets again when / if we are allowed back!

Our only hope is for the Moose to get fit and do a Deeno of 1991!

We just have no stand out quality like we did in 1991.

Burke could help us stretch the opposition if he is actually picked!

Wish we has spent the Brewster money on a loan for Brookes. You need quality, arguably two of are best three players are injured in Jack and Fleck, with the only premier quality flare is in the body of an injured, never fully fit play boy, who if he had the desire and professionalism of Bash could be a top level player.

We need some luck and then a bit of flare and then some more luck.

At least I'll be able to get away tickets again when / if we are allowed back!

Do not think we will be going away for many years. Home fans will be drip fed in if things improve over the next few seasons and capacity crowds be a long way off beig allowed but think they will ban away fans for at least a few seasons.

What is sad as we left the game against Norwich who would have though we would then not see a gamein any capacity for around 18 months as is probably going to be likely, we would win 2 in like 20 and may even never see Wilder again when we next set foot in the Lane (hope that last one is miles off but its a real possibility)?

Never have things changed so quickly/dramatically. We have gone from being on cloud 9 in mid March and the best I have ever felt about being a Blade to now not being able to go, the team losing every week and looking nailed on for relegation and the prospect of when we go back to the Lane us being back in the Championship.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 4/10 – Had a really dodgy game. He saved one early from Chilwell but then pushed a few out that he should have held or pushed further away. He gave away a corner that led to the goal and then just stayed on his line. It was a really bad mistake. Then pushed another away when he should have claimed 2nd half. The 3rd goal he is nowhere and well beaten by a centre back and then he seems all over on other chances and nearly pushed one into his net at the end. Looked all over the place and although not helped by what was in front of him, he had a really bad day with mistakes aplenty. He had improved since a poor start but was not good today. Gains a point just for making a few saves I suppose.

Baldock 5.5/10 – Like the team began well. Involved and set up the goal with a good cross but then Chilwell caused him lots of problems and was one of their main threats. Then got worse as the game went on and rarely was tight to his man as they ran off us all over the field. Got forward a bit near the end but it was another game where better movement and quality showed him at full stretch. Last year was seen as a real stand out but looks one of the poorest wing/full backs in the division this year.

Lowe 3/10 – Not sure on him last week when some were praising him and today he looked a bit out of his depth sadly and had a bit of a nightmare. They attacked at will down that side and knew he was struggling with the movement and quality. Most of their attacks came from crosses or moments down here in the first half when he was not switched on or tight enough to his man. Not sure he got much help from Lundstram or Stevens. Second half he continued his poor showing and gave it away a lot or lost his man. They continued to cause problems down his side. He gave it away that led to more chances and I think at times he looked like he just wanted to come off but oddly we kept him on. Looked like a player that was not even a regular for a mid table Championship side last season.

Stevens 4/10 – Started ok but then started losing runners and on the first goal he lost his man and was another mistake. Not sure he is a centre back but he is probably still preferable to Robinson who also has made a number of mistakes this season. Teams are exploiting gaps between the wing back and centre back particularly down the left for us. He made another error second half with a bad header they should have scored and then lost runners again on another few chances. He seems to be struggling with when to come up and when to sit and is slow to react to things. Not sure it is working him there but what do we do as Robinson was as bad?

Basham 7/10 – Our best player by a mile. Yes, he made mistakes with a few giveaways too but he competed, tried to go forward and made blocks and tackles and at least kept going. He looked a bit at a loss why others were not putting the same effort in as him. Felt sorry for him. He is one of the few who comes out with any credit of a woeful season.

Egan 5.5/10 – Struggled with Abraham last year at Stamford Bridge and the same this year with his height, movement and running. He showed his lack of pace at times and always seemed at full stretch. Very deep too. He did make a few good blocks second half – two that maybe saved two certain goals but then they ripped us apart as he seemed to come out too early and played them onside twice. He and the whole defence looked like they were just shouting, ‘Help!’ at the end. People have lauded our defence saying not many are scoring loads. Well now it is the worst defence in the league statistically and that along with the worst attack will mean relegation.

Brewster 2/10 – Not in the game at all. Yes, he had no service and his mark may seem harsh but he looked like a little kid playing in a man’s game that had been given a chance to play with the big lads. He had no service again but even McGoldrick got involved a bit and showed flashes. The ball came off him. I think he gets 2 for winning one free kick and chasing one other ball down. That was it. He is really struggling and even nearly gave them a goal. He was chuntering when he came off but what does he think will change. Yes, we need to get him in the games more but a team at the bottom is not going to see lots of balls or have lots of chances. We do need to use him somehow but I do expect a nuisance factor, more effort, chase things, try and come deeper. If he is a box player who scores goals then he is the wrong signing for us. We won’t have lots of chances and he won’t see tons of the ball. Burke is a better option currently. We need to someone to keep the ball or stretch teams – this lad is not doing anything and looks miles off being ready for the Premier League. He may come good but we cannot carry people and we are carrying too many at the moment. Needs to be taken out of the team and used in cameos.

McGoldrick 5/10- Started the game really well and scored a good goal and involved in linking well and showed some bits but as the game went on became more and more isolated and the game just passed him by as they had attack after attack. He maybe should have come deeper and gave us an extra man but they were attacking down the sides so he could not even help us get more of the ball. He had no partner with him at all and thus he was our only half threat up top.

Subs –

McBurnie – Fouled someone stupidly and lucky not to be booked and lost a header for the goal. Great stuff. Apart from that not sure he touched the ball.

Osborn – Ran around after better players and seemed a bit startled by the quality of pace and movement and we got worse after the changes but think this was as much about them just finally putting chances to bed and our tiring players not being able to keep up.

Manager Wilder 3/10 – Had so many plaudits off his own fans and local media and this extended nationally and even internationally. He was literally the trendiest thing in football last year. Shows how people’s stock can fall (look at Eddie Howe now – would he even get more than a mid table Champ side if he came back) and that you have to produce results consistently. We all got very prickly about media saying teams might work us out/one season wonder/second season syndrome but as much as we can discuss injuries (had a few yes) there is still an argument that even though players have been off form, our way of playing has been found out to some extent. Teams load the sides, we don’t go through the middle, we don’t shoot and don’t try and go through sides. We always try and go round. I am shocked Wilder was not ready for teams to combat elements of our style but as much as I love him, he is quite stubborn and now needs to act. The notion of him losing his job is ridiculous. I don’t buy the he could lose every game and we would/should not sack him. I actually believe if we went down with like less than 10 points, I’d still keep him for the Championship but owners are notoriously fickle and if we were rock bottom with 3 or 4 points into the new year, I would not be shocked if the owner did make a change. I think that would be wrong but he will feel he has backed him hugely and for the most part many of signings have made little to no impact in terms of what you would expect (McBurnie, Freeman, Robinson and now Brewster albeit tiny sample size – people will say we can’t judge him but then who’s fault is that in terms of the style).

Be an interesting time the next few months. Certainly, if we fail to get a win in the next 2-3 not only will it mean there is a huge chance we are going down – we have to get going soon – we are not going to do what Bassett’s team did in 1991. However, would also lead too doubts about him (not from me or most fans) staying in charge. The notion of even discussion this seems ridiculous but we are rock bottom and had one of the worst starts of any team at this level for a long time and are playing garbage and never look like scoring. He said today it was no good opening up as it could be any score. Well we did not open up and it was any score – we got hammered. We should have last week. I am not sure what his approach is at the moment. We are not even trying to score goals or win games. The current approach and performances and we will barely get another point this season. It is so boring and negative to watch us. Chelsea have better players but it has been like that all season. His star has fallen so fast and all the talk about him being the next big thing has long been forgotten sadly. He needs to look at himself as much as the players as the way we are approaching games and the lack of attacking plan allied with the fragile confidence means he has to take a fair amount of blame rather than criticising the players as he is doing so much at the moment.

Chelsea – They have spent a lot of money over the summer with Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Chilwell, Mendy and Silva coming in to the tune of 220 million +. Some of them showed today why they had brought them in and they looked much better than the side we beat easily and drew with- albeit us being nowhere near the same side.

Of course, Lampard had to make do with that he had (which was still probably more than most in terms of the wage bill/playing squad) last season and did ok to get them into the Champions League. I do think he was lucky to get the job after a so-so year with a good Derby side but of course that happens with the likes of him and Gerrard. The start to the season has been up and down but are still are around the top 4. Not sure they will compete with Liverpool/City to get into the top 2 and 3rd might be the best they can aim for. At least last season they blooded some youngsters making use of a ridiculous sized squad with so many out on loan too. Reece James, Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori did well and are all around the side regularly now.

The squad is still ridiculous in comparison to the teams near the bottom in terms of talent, wages and international experience but is a lot younger than many of the other top teams. Yes, Kante, Silva, Giroud, Azpilicueta are still there but the bulk of the side is quite youthful. So, if they keep them together, they can grow but then you see the likes of Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek and even our lad, Ampadu, then you worry how they can ever be regulars when they keep spending like 40-50 million bringing in the likes of above. I think Pulisic is a fantastic player (not even playing today) and Werner has shown flashes. Chilwell is a solid left back if ridiculously overpriced but not sure they have one player that makes me think wow like City with De Bruyne (even Aguero and Sterling) and Liverpool with the front three. Does that matter? I don’t know but they will beat a lot of the crap sides like us but against the other big sides not sure they will win enough.

Today, it was all too easy. They started badly but then reacted well and after that they won the game easily. Ziyech was superb but every single one of their player man for man looked far better. Only Basham can come off and say he played ok for us whilst the other 10 were better in every way. They missed lots of chances and 4-1 was maybe flattering for us really. They moved it about and exposed our defence, particularly down the left but knew they had quicker and more skilled players. I felt they could score at any time really and although the goals were soft at times, they could have had a lot more. Lampard will wonder what happened to the brave, aggressive Blades he faced last season? 71% possession and a second half where they barely had an attack to deal with and just picked us off at will. Easiest win they will have this season despite having a poor start.

Opponent Man of the Match – Ziyech. Excellent. Involved in everything but Kovacic was good. Abraha played well too causing us problems and Chilwell was a threat. They had players coming at us from all areas but the right-hand side was a particular strength with Ziyech and James causing so many issues

Opponent Weak link – I felt Werner was quiet but then scored and could have had a few more. I am not sure Zouma is that great but had an easy game today.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Jonathan Moss. Easy game. Booked a few of ours for daft ones. He could have booked more but we weren’t even quick enough to properly foul them. 14 fouls to 4 sums it up.
Good report as always DB.
My thoughts - calm and collected ones!!
I really don't get the Ramsdale is to blame for every goal scored against us, I actually think he is a really good signing,
having said that i think he is a bit of a "maverick" goalkeeper (think Grobbler at Liverpool, but not as good - or crazy)
He will make mistakes and he will make world class saves, that's the nature of the beast, he will be fine.
Yesterday he had a really poor defence in front of him, you can't just blame him.

Wilder, whew what a change from last season! will the real Chris Wilder stand up.
Some of comments are actually correct even though we are not used to hearing them, we expected to lose the batch of matches, all of us on here expecting to lose the last three, so why are we complaining ? the truth is how it called, if we go "toe to toe" with these guys we could be shipping six or more goals, we don't want to see that happening! you simply have to come up with a game plan and hope for the best, I always though Chelsea would be the one were we got a roasting - and we did, it could easily have been more goals than the four they scored!
The big teams are simply light years away from us in the quality of players, recruitment, finance, that's not going to change, maybe a European league is the answer and let the rest of us get on with a more "level playing field" ?
Sacking him would be a retrograde step, he's not a bad manager but bleats on about lack of funds etc, he needs to change that tune! recruitment has been discussed a lot and rightly so, it's been very poor and has been for the last few years.
If the Prince changes anything he might take that responsibility away from him by appointing a "director of football", then what would CW do, I think it would be something i would do if i was an owner, "Director of football and recruitment" who implements
the style of football i want to see, the type of player to suit that style, - my vision! and to make sure any incoming manager understands that vision.

Lampard is doing a great job at Chelsea stamping his authority on the club, the players the recruitment, his vision, no fancy styles of play just great technical players playing simple "pass and move" football at speed, Artetta is doing the same at Arsenal,
I really think CW and his support team are nowhere near that level, and let's face it London and the Premier league is a "destination"
for the worlds best players.

I do think we (CW) could do with changing our style of, play, a number of recent signings just don't seem to get it and are quickly moved on, we need new signings to come in and hit the ground running once settled into the club and City of course.

Getting back to yesterday, as i said i thought this one was the one we might get a good thumping, we did and it might have been worse, I don't think any player came out of it with any credit so i would not look to criticise any one individual, they were all bad!!

I still think we will survive and things will improve over time, but we are a team in transition and that will take time to to implement,
the idea we should just except relegation is simply bonkers, in my world you fight to the end!!

Onwards and onwards we march, UTB

Good report as always DB.
My thoughts - calm and collected ones!!
I really don't get the Ramsdale is to blame for every goal scored against us, I actually think he is a really good signing,
having said that i think he is a bit of a "maverick" goalkeeper (think Grobbler at Liverpool, but not as good - or crazy)
He will make mistakes and he will make world class saves, that's the nature of the beast, he will be fine.
Yesterday he had a really poor defence in front of him, you can't just blame him.

Wilder, whew what a change from last season! will the real Chris Wilder stand up.
Some of comments are actually correct even though we are not used to hearing them, we expected to lose the batch of matches, all of us on here expecting to lose the last three, so why are we complaining ? the truth is how it called, if we go "toe to toe" with these guys we could be shipping six or more goals, we don't want to see that happening! you simply have to come up with a game plan and hope for the best, I always though Chelsea would be the one were we got a roasting - and we did, it could easily have been more goals than the four they scored!
The big teams are simply light years away from us in the quality of players, recruitment, finance, that's not going to change, maybe a European league is the answer and let the rest of us get on with a more "level playing field" ?
Sacking him would be a retrograde step, he's not a bad manager but bleats on about lack of funds etc, he needs to change that tune! recruitment has been discussed a lot and rightly so, it's been very poor and has been for the last few years.
If the Prince changes anything he might take that responsibility away from him by appointing a "director of football", then what would CW do, I think it would be something i would do if i was an owner, "Director of football and recruitment" who implements
the style of football i want to see, the type of player to suit that style, - my vision! and to make sure any incoming manager understands that vision.

Lampard is doing a great job at Chelsea stamping his authority on the club, the players the recruitment, his vision, no fancy styles of play just great technical players playing simple "pass and move" football at speed, Artetta is doing the same at Arsenal,
I really think CW and his support team are nowhere near that level, and let's face it London and the Premier league is a "destination"
for the worlds best players.

I do think we (CW) could do with changing our style of, play, a number of recent signings just don't seem to get it and are quickly moved on, we need new signings to come in and hit the ground running once settled into the club and City of course.

Getting back to yesterday, as i said i thought this one was the one we might get a good thumping, we did and it might have been worse, I don't think any player came out of it with any credit so i would not look to criticise any one individual, they were all bad!!

I still think we will survive and things will improve over time, but we are a team in transition and that will take time to to implement,
the idea we should just except relegation is simply bonkers, in my world you fight to the end!!

Onwards and onwards we march, UTB

I interpreted Wilder's 'toe-to-toe' comment as basically we can't play end to end football against these teams as we'll get slaughtered because they have much better finishers and technical players. Which, is true.

It doesn't mean we can't have a go at them, but do so within limitations. Like we did last season. We got bodies forward and got bodes back. It wasn't reckless it was controlled. We're not even pressing these teams really this season. Just sitting back and asking them to play through us. Which seems to be a lot easier this season!

Having a go doesn't mean being reckless. Leicester won the league whilst ceding possession in many of their games. Because when they did go forward they did it with pace and got bodies forward.

The recruitment is confusing. We seemed to be looking to sign players which would allow us to play on the counter attack and then change our mind and try and sign players to fit into the same formation.

The thing that fs me off the most is the fact that we're not pressing, there's no intensity and no one is straining to get on the end of things. It;s all plodding and any advantage from 'wanting it more' last season has just disappeared. We seem to not really want it tbh. Very few are busting a gut for themself or the team.

I interpreted Wilder's 'toe-to-toe' comment as basically we can't play end to end football against these teams as we'll get slaughtered because they have much better finishers and technical players. Which, is true.

It doesn't mean we can't have a go at them, but do so within limitations. Like we did last season. We got bodies forward and got bodes back. It wasn't reckless it was controlled. We're not even pressing these teams really this season. Just sitting back and asking them to play through us. Which seems to be a lot easier this season!

Having a go doesn't mean being reckless. Leicester won the league whilst ceding possession in many of their games. Because when they did go forward they did it with pace and got bodies forward.

The recruitment is confusing. We seemed to be looking to sign players which would allow us to play on the counter attack and then change our mind and try and sign players to fit into the same formation.

The thing that fs me off the most is the fact that we're not pressing, there's no intensity and no one is straining to get on the end of things. It;s all plodding and any advantage from 'wanting it more' last season has just disappeared. We seem to not really want it tbh. Very few are busting a gut for themself or the team.

You've made some good comments there, but by over committing going forward we don't have the ability to get back to defend and we will ship goals. we also don't have the creativity to attack, so where do you go from there ? (I refuse to mention the "R" word, and i'm not talking about the "R" word re Covid)
Egan & JOC were in tune with each other and are more than the sum of their parts, we miss JOC playing the way we do.
If I was to sum up things in one word it would be "recruitment"

I worry about Ramsdale. On the face of it he makes some decent saves every game although ones you would expect a top keeper to make and does not drop any real howlers. However you cannot help with about half the goals we have conceded this season if he shouldn't be doing better and would expect him to have saved some of them. Think he is been left exposed a lot and having to many shots to face but not seen him make any really what you would call an exceptional save. Have to say yesterday though he was poor and did not inspire any confidence whatsoever
I reckon if you analyse his season with bournemouth you would see the same pattern. In the game against us he cocked up on the first with a bad punch

Do not think we will be going away for many years. Home fans will be drip fed in if things improve over the next few seasons and capacity crowds be a long way off beig allowed but think they will ban away fans for at least a few seasons.

What is sad as we left the game against Norwich who would have though we would then not see a gamein any capacity for around 18 months as is probably going to be likely, we would win 2 in like 20 and may even never see Wilder again when we next set foot in the Lane (hope that last one is miles off but its a real possibility)?

Never have things changed so quickly/dramatically. We have gone from being on cloud 9 in mid March and the best I have ever felt about being a Blade to now not being able to go, the team losing every week and looking nailed on for relegation and the prospect of when we go back to the Lane us being back in the Championship.
[/QUOTE if that's the case mate about attending matches home and away I shouldn't worry to much because if that's the case ( years away) there will be no football clubs left!

You've made some good comments there, but by over committing going forward we don't have the ability to get back to defend and we will ship goals. we also don't have the creativity to attack, so where do you go from there ? (I refuse to mention the "R" word, and i'm not talking about the "R" word re Covid)
Egan & JOC were in tune with each other and are more than the sum of their parts, we miss JOC playing the way we do.
If I was to sum up things in one word it would be "recruitment"

I think the point I'm trying to make is that getting men forward doesn't mean overcommitting. We did it most of last season and had one of the best defences in the league. Chelsea did it against us yesterday. Most of their attacks involved their wingbacks but they had two people in midfield to cover if we (and I realise this is amusing) counter attacked. I'm not talking about wildly throwing men forward. We are after all the team who play(ed) overlapping centre backs! We are just not committing to attacks very often so the few we have largely breakdown.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that getting men forward doesn't mean overcommitting. We did it most of last season and had one of the best defences in the league. Chelsea did it against us yesterday. Most of their attacks involved their wingbacks but they had two people in midfield to cover if we (and I realise this is amusing) counter attacked. I'm not talking about wildly throwing men forward. We are after all the team who play(ed) overlapping centre backs! We are just not committing to attacks very often so the few we have largely breakdown.

I take your point, but last year we also had JOC
Do you think losing a key player such as JOC and to some extent Fleck impacts on the mindset of other players ? I do they know themselves where the weak links are, that in it's self can create a confidence issue

Last edited:
I take your point, but last year we also had JOC
Do you think losing a key player such as JOC and to some extent Fleck impacts on the mindset of other players ? I do they know themselves where the weak links are, that in it's self can create a confidence issue

Of course, but all clubs lose key players at some point. We've been lucky with injuries until post lockdown. It's a part of the game.

You have to release the pre-season pod now...only then will we win and get going. Superstition/clutching at straws kicking in big time...

Back
Top Bottom