Gone Elsewhere Matty Cash

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

George is one of the best RWB in the Prem and the second best defensively. The interest in Cash is because he can play down the whole of the right side. His best attribute is running and dribbling in transition. I hope we can get him.

Yep, he would offer us something different on the right side.

I bought him on FIFA few months ago and Forest took Kieron Freeman back in part exchange.

If Cash can push Baldock like Brooks pushed Duffy then it's a win win, we have actual good competition and a bit of depth (Kez Freeman wasn't getting into a Prem starting XI) and improvement in the players already here.

I must be in a minority here because I think the wing backs need upgrading
They are key positions for us creatively and I don't think.baldock has been good enough ,enda either
Yeah they've worked Hard but I'm so sick of seeing our play grind to a halt when it gets down the edge of the opposition box
Course conversely we might bring in more talented and creative players who can't match the work rate of our current players
Tricky one but for me this signing would improve us

I suspect a lot of fans agree with you. I certainly do. Not a criticism of Enda or George. More the fact that the positions are so vital for our success that we need them to be almost world class in order to become a really top team. Our midfield is likely to always be protection first, given the disparity in money across the league. We're going to be reliant on wingbacks to create a lot of our goals and also chip in with a decent amount themselves.

We're likely to be able to utilise the overlapping CBs less and less. Much of our success will come from counter attacking or at least attacking at speed. The wingbacks are pivotal to this. especially given the lack of pace in the squad.

saying that, and considering this thread, I'm not convinced that Cash is the answer. Certainly not an improvement in my eyes. I certainly don't think we're in a position to spend that much on someone to cover George.

I would have more interest in looking at Ryan Sessegnon as a long-term replacement for Stevens. He's still raw and seems to have gone backwards since the Spurs bid was rejected, but definitely has the ability and talent if he gets back on track. If Fulham don't go up, maybe even available at a reasonable price as only a sub for them.

Last edited:
I think people need to get away from the idea that there has to be a first choice and a back-up for each position. We should be looking towards having two starters for each position who can be rotated without losing any quality from the starting line-up. There's going to be fixture congestion next year due to the late start (and potentially more periods of lockdown), more injuries due to a curtailed preseason and the possible intro of 5 subs. Numbers, quality and strength in depth is a must to compete at the highest level now. If there's the opportunity to bring in quality within our budget we should take it.

I suspect a lot of fans agree with you. I certainly do. Not a criticism of Enda or George. More the fact that the positions are so vital for our success that we need them to be almost world class in order to become a really top team. Our midfield is likely to always be protection first, given the disparity in money across the league. We're going to be reliant on wingbacks to create a lot of our goals and also chip in with a decent amount themselves.

We're likely to be able to utilise the overlapping CBs less and less. Much of our success will come from counter attacking or at least attacking at speed. The wingbacks are pivotal to this. especially given the lack of pace in the squad.

saying that, and considering this thread, I'm not convinced that Cash is the answer. Certainly not an improvement in my eyes. I certainly don't think we're in a position to spend that much on someone to cover George.

I would have more interest in looking at Ryan Sessegnon as a long-term replacement for Stevens. He's still raw and seems to have gone backwards since the Spurs bid was rejected, but definitely has the ability and talent if he gets back on track. If Fulham don't go up, maybe even available at a reasonable price as only a sub for them.

Spurs signed him...

George is one of the best RWB in the Prem and the second best defensively. The interest in Cash is because he can play down the whole of the right side. His best attribute is running and dribbling in transition. I hope we can get him.

Got to be honest...I'd never heard of him before today. I've had a look on YouTube though and he looks great, but so have many others. He's the right age and he can certainly run with the ball and isn't afraid to take players on going forward - and he looks solid in defence as well. What not to like?

Having read much of the 82 pages of the Matty Cash Appreciation thread on their forum I am intrigued about how highly they rate their ¨star man¨. They also reckon he would be a perfect fit in our club and system. Together with his age, it augurs well for the future if we can get him.

George and Enda work very, very hard but are not and never will be Premiership quality, (that said, Matty Cash may never be Premiership quality either). They are typical CW signings who have been outstanding for us and work well in our system but at times their technical ability has been seriously lacking, although on others they have been outstanding, (George's goal at Norwich and Enda's v Brighton spring to mind).

Cash fits the CW bill, he has a very good engine and will work very hard. Would he be an upgrade on George? possibly but he is 100% an upgrade on the departing K Freeman. A cynic could say that George played every minute of our campaign last year simply because he had no competition for the shirt, mind you, that could be said for most of the squad!

We desperately need quality strength in depth and competition for shirts. Cash would bring that IMO.
Never will be prem quality? They have just played a full season in the prem for a top 10 team with the second best defensive record. Your statement is ridiculous

George and Enda work very, very hard but are not and never will be Premiership quality, (that said, Matty Cash may never be Premiership quality either). They are typical CW signings who have been outstanding for us and work well in our system but at times their technical ability has been seriously lacking, although on others they have been outstanding, (George's goal at Norwich and Enda's v Brighton spring to mind).

Cash fits the CW bill, he has a very good engine and will work very hard. Would he be an upgrade on George? possibly but he is 100% an upgrade on the departing K Freeman. A cynic could say that George played every minute of our campaign last year simply because he had no competition for the shirt, mind you, that could be said for most of the squad!

We desperately need quality strength in depth and competition for shirts. Cash would bring that IMO.

I guess maybe you mean they'll never be world class? That's fair.

Because they've both had excellent seasons - we could sell either of them to Premier League teams for £15-30 million each, if we wanted to.

Ten million quid offer for him by us rejected by Forest. Is he worth the money?

I guess maybe you mean they'll never be world class? That's fair.

Because they've both had excellent seasons - we could sell either of them to Premier League teams for £15-30 million each, if we wanted to.

Bet you we couldn't.....

Never will be prem quality? They have just played a full season in the prem for a top 10 team with the second best defensive record. Your statement is ridiculous

It's an opinion.

Put George and Enda in any other Premiership team and they would struggle.

I think there have been periods in this season where George and Enda have looked as good as anything in the league, at one point Enda was outrageous, strong , skillful and attacking, George full of energy and class. Both dipped a bit after the break, but our whole back 5 been superb. To throw any of them under a bus I agree - ridiculous.

Matty Cash is a great little player- similar really to George - competition like this will be good.

I hope we are rumoured with more like this- good goalie/ good midfielder (although I think Luke Freeman will come good)/ pacey striker.

I think Enda pre-lockdown was probably among the top two or three wingbacks in the league. Post he was poor and I think that is colouring people’s views. George is harder because much of what he does is top notch but his delivery does need to improve. Easy to do but I think the performances of our team since restart have been hit and miss so we need to remember how they were across the whole season not just the last bit.
That said Cash looks a bit like an Osborn type, versatile and able to cover several positions so ticks a lot of boxes.

Guys stop thinking we can’t get better players than we already have. We have already seen what sort of players Wilder will sign for ‘cover’ in Robinson which was a good deal but we would not be splashing this amount of money to act as cover. Yes George was good last season but as things stand he’s unchallenged in that position. Cash is much better in the final third and that’s what we are trying to strengthen this summer.

3 assists for baldock was it? In the context of our team stats its actually pretty high, but with the amount of play that goes down our wings and the chances our wing backs get to provide key crosses and passes its not enough. Its basically like your winger only getting 3 assists.

I like baldock btw, but the notion we cant be improved there is a nonsense. Id welcome more creativity in these areas specifically tbh, from him being pushed or from a new signing. Its crucial. Endas side too.

PPS our assist stats are really poor. I didnt realise quite how bad they were until i just looked.

Last edited:
I think Cash would be an excellent signing. One of Forest's best players. Having Cash/Baldock as options for RWB is easily an upgrade on K Freeman/Baldock.

I agree with the poster who mentioned that we also need to improve on attacking options aside from the wings (i.e. thru the middle). Hopefully improvements there will come too.

If Berge is to play CMF , and/or Lunny is going , we need quality at RMF - we also need competition at RWB - so this signing would be very useful.
If Forest fancy LF , we might actually solve 3 things at once.

They obviously are prem quality,having helped us to a top ten finish. Bizzare comment.How did we concede so few goals,relatively,with non prem quality defenders.

He's 6' 1" and has played right midfield as well as right back.

Could compete in 2 or 3 right sided slots. More bothered if he can control a ball hit at 50 mph and run all day

Back
Top Bottom