GCB writer?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bongleblade

Reaction score
Do any blades on here know who created the GCB? or is there anyone here who was at the first game it was sung at?

Thrill/fill
10088_1.jpg

Do any blades on here know who created the GCB? or is there anyone here who was at the first game it was sung at?

I remember the first time I heard it sang en masse by Blades.

It was the first game of the 84 season away at Stoke....the old Victoria ground. I remember thinking it won’t catch on because there were too many words to remember but we sang it for all home games that season too and we’ve sang it every game since 1984.

Its possible it might have been sang by a small group of Blades before 1984 but they weren’t stood near me so I never heard it.
I’ve heard that Rotherham fans sang it first but it never caught on like it did at Bramall Lane.

Grimsby Away.
1984? First time I heard it was coming back from Rotherham after the late winner. (I didn’t go to Grimsby away so I’m not arguing about it, Rotherham was just the first time I was aware of it).

1984? First time I heard it was coming back from Rotherham after the late winner. (I didn’t go to Grimsby away so I’m not arguing about it, Rotherham was just the first time I was aware of it).

I went to that Rotherham game...left 1 minute from time and missed (think it was Bob Atkins) injury time winner.
I was walking down the dangerously cramped side alley approaching the Tivoli end when I heard a massive roar. The roar was so loud, it seemed to be coming from the Tivoli end.. so assumed Rotherham must have scored....but someone with a transistor radio told me we’d scored..that was a massive 3 points towards promotion.

I probably wasn’t paying attention to various songs unless it was sang by everyone.
I‘m sure older fans will know better than me....can only give my personal experience.

Last edited:

I went to that Rotherham game...left 1 minute from time and missed (think it was Bob Atkins) injury time winner.
I probably wasn’t paying attention to various songs unless it was sang by everyone.
As I said, it was coming back from the game. On the bus, to be precise. It was indeed Bob and I can still picture it clearly in my mind. You should have stayed till the end 😂

I remember Lincoln away 1983 (can't remember whether it was the league or FA Cup game - I went to both on the train). A small group of Blades were singing the lyrics - but it was 'like a night out in Woodhouse' and trying to get people to join in. We just looked at them and smiled --- as back in the day every small group of mates were trying to get songs going.

As I said, it was coming back from the game. On the bus, to be precise. It was indeed Bob and I can still picture it clearly in my mind. You should have stayed till the end 😂
Boiling hot day, crammed in that away end - and I mean crammed. A world away from today's luxury.

When Atkins scored, pandemonium ensued. The thing I remember most is a massive dust cloud rising up from the pitch side. Don't know if there were fans jumping around on the other side of the barrier, couldn't tell from where I was being ragged around, just saw this big puff of dust floating in the air. 😄

I'd heard Southend away...when Arnott scored a mazy last minute winner?

I believe it was originally sung as King Ecgbert's men marched upon Dore and the lyrics were "like a land war in Mercia". The name Mercia of course being a latinisation of the Saxon "myrce" meaning "people of metal", or magnets. Fishing was invented several centuries later.

I remember the first time I heard it sang en masse by Blades.

It was the first game of the 84 season away at Stoke....the old Victoria ground. I remember thinking it won’t catch on because there were too many words to remember but we sang it for all home games that season too and we’ve sang it every game since 1984.

Its possible it might have been sang by a small group of Blades before 1984 but they weren’t stood near me so I never heard it.
I’ve heard that Rotherham fans sang it first but it never caught on like it did at Bramall Lane.

Stoke away was 85, think you'll probably mean Wolves away first game 84-85 season.

I was walking down the dangerously cramped side alley approaching the Tivoli end when I heard a massive roar. The roar was so loud, it seemed to be coming from the Tivoli end.. so assumed Rotherham must have scored....but someone with a transistor radio told me we’d scored..that was a massive 3 points towards promotion.

I‘m sure older fans will know better than me....can only give my personal experience.

God I remember that goal as if it were yesterday. Me and Joff stood on the away end!!!

I believe it was originally sung as King Ecgbert's men marched upon Dore and the lyrics were "like a land war in Mercia". The name Mercia of course being a latinisation of the Saxon "myrce" meaning "people of metal", or magnets. Fishing was invented several centuries later.

Well Poker blade I went to King Ecgberts in Dore! Do I know you?

Could be wrong but first time I think I remember hearing it was Bournemouth at home 82/83 season possibly Aprilish. Back of the kop, a group of lads singing the first few lines then trying to come up with the rest of the verses.

as back in the day every small group of mates were trying to get songs going.
Was gonna say I heard this but can't remember what season (doh! the clues in the lyrics)
We're Sheffield United
The cock O the north
There's nothing can stop us we're top o the fourth
We're Porterfield's army and well on our course
Cos we're the cock o the north.
Nah nah nah etc
(One of those songs) Catchy, got nahs in which you could go mental, almost perfect to be chanted - never got going.

Could be wrong but first time I think I remember hearing it was Bournemouth at home 82/83 season possibly Aprilish. Back of the kop, a group of lads singing the first few lines then trying to come up with the rest of the verses.
That would tie in with my recollections of hearing it at Lincoln away - which was in May that season if I remember correctly. I think once somebody change the 'like a night out in Woodhouse' to 'like a night out in Sheffield' it might have gained a bit more popularity lol.

First time I remember being conscious of it was the first half of the 1985/86 season, so I guess that was when it really started to gain traction.

Back
Top Bottom