When will football come back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When do you think football will be back in this country

• May

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • June

Votes: 87 22.3%
  • July

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • August

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • September

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • October or later..

Votes: 92 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's time we stooped asking when will footy get going and ask when will Britain get going again, this virus transcends football

This is a football forum. People are bored. I'd say that discussing when football can resume again is quite a legitimate topic for debate.

No one is claiming that the virus doesn't "transcend football".

The problem is teams will use it also...lets say they try and restart the games...then West Ham or Villa say one of their players has symptoms (could be real/could be tactical)...then what?.... This week, 8 West Ham players have mild symptoms for instance. The teams at the bottom will do all they can to void the season even unscrupulous means I feel.

Test the players? I’m sure a club doctor from a lower league club could provide independent testing.

I ain’t saying all 4 divisions should play, get the Premier League started and see how it goes. Football needs money to survive, the Premier League is the best placed to generate the most whilst keeping the number of matches to a minimum and therefore lowering the risk.

At the end of the day, there's no way this Chinese virus will be allowed to literally stop the world for anything like a year. Surely we're not that stupid....

The long term damage would surpass the significance of the death toll by a ridiculous margin. A line will have to be drawn somewhere.
I believe there will be phased relaxations of control measures to allow industries to get some oxygen. Not sure where the football industry will rank in the priorities though.

This is a football forum. People are bored. I'd say that discussing when football can resume again is quite a legitimate topic for debate.

No one is claiming that the virus doesn't "transcend football".
I know it's a forum but I am allowed an opinion or is it just the young uns these days that must have the right to say summat. We can debate this till cows come home but there is no sport world wide and yet folk expect football to start up again, people need to be realistic we face the biggest crisis in memory and it's killing left right & centre. I said what to do write off this season average the points and plan for new season, if they just cancel and expunge records that is wrong why should such as Norwich stay up?

I’m staggered that 22% think it won’t.
This isn't going to age well.
How long before a vaccine? 12 to 18 months WHO say.

If only someone knew how the virus is spread.
Ah well back to my dot to dot book for dummies.

But don't worry Trump says it is going to beautiful in Easter.

I’m staggered that 22% think it won’t.
I suggest you read a book
The rules of contagion Why things Spread and why they stop. by Adam Kucharski.

You'll have plenty of time before you see the blades again.

How long, then, until we’re no longer behind and are winning the fight against the novel coronavirus? The hard truth is that it may keep infecting people and causing outbreaks until there’s a vaccine or treatment to stop it.

“I think this idea … that if you close schools and shut restaurants for a couple of weeks, you solve the problem and get back to normal life — that’s not what’s going to happen,” says Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and author of The Rules of Contagion, a book on how outbreaks spread. “The main message that isn’t getting across to a lot of people is just how long we might be in this for.”

As Kucharski, a top expert on this situation, sees it, “this virus is going to be circulating, potentially for a year or two, so we need to be thinking on those time scales. There are no good options here. Every scenario you can think of playing out has some really hefty downsides. ... At the moment, it seems the only way to sustainably reduce transmission are really severe unsustainable measures.”

In time, we may learn how to balance the need to “flatten the curve” with the need to live our lives and revive the economy. But for now, it appears we’re in for a long haul.

This isn't going to age well.
How long before a vaccine? 12 to 18 months WHO say.

If only someone knew how the virus is spread.
Ah well back to my dot to dot book for dummies.

But don't worry Trump says it is going to beautiful in Easter.

Only time will tell if it ages well or not? Feel free to bring it up at a later date.
I suggest you read a book
The rules of contagion Why things Spread and why they stop. by Adam Kucharski.

You'll have plenty of time before you see the blades again.

How long, then, until we’re no longer behind and are winning the fight against the novel coronavirus? The hard truth is that it may keep infecting people and causing outbreaks until there’s a vaccine or treatment to stop it.

“I think this idea … that if you close schools and shut restaurants for a couple of weeks, you solve the problem and get back to normal life — that’s not what’s going to happen,” says Adam Kucharski, an epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and author of The Rules of Contagion, a book on how outbreaks spread. “The main message that isn’t getting across to a lot of people is just how long we might be in this for.”

As Kucharski, a top expert on this situation, sees it, “this virus is going to be circulating, potentially for a year or two, so we need to be thinking on those time scales. There are no good options here. Every scenario you can think of playing out has some really hefty downsides. ... At the moment, it seems the only way to sustainably reduce transmission are really severe unsustainable measures.”

In time, we may learn how to balance the need to “flatten the curve” with the need to live our lives and revive the economy. But for now, it appears we’re in for a long haul.

So why’s this ‘expert’ no where near any of the governments response?

We can all have an opinion on the situation, I was just expressing mine.

Not til 2021 I reckon. I don't think we'll ever see the end of this season.

Mark my words will take place June/July when Euro 2020 was meant to be. So much negativity being spread why have we turned into a nation of glass half empties.
China kicked this in four months and they had it a lot worse. End of May for us. Although Chinese government is a lot more efficient than ours. As reported on news today they are making medical equipment for rest of the world now!

Mark my words will take place June/July when Euro 2020 was meant to be. So much negativity being spread why have we turned into a nation of glass half empties.
China kicked this in four months and they had it a lot worse. End of May for us. Although Chinese government is a lot more efficient than ours. As reported on news today they are making medical equipment for rest of the world now!

And yet Chinese sport is struggling to restart. Was meant to be in two weeks time but already been pushed back. China had much stronger measures than us including everyone in public in a mask, taking temperature of everyone who goes into a supermarket.

Interesting read from a scientist in China comparing the west v China and the lockdown ending timelines. Basically going to be longer here.

Football is rightly bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities.

So is shopping, going to the pub, walking the dog, etc. but it's called living. There's surviving and there's thriving, and I can't see people putting their lives on hold indefinitely as a solution.

"No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home at Weston-super-Mare."

Kingsley Amis

For what it's worth, I don't see the need to be rigid and bound to set ways with this one. If they history books show that we took our time, did what was right for everyone's safety and then finished the season, that's the best thing. So be it.

If that means we carry on the autumn, have a weird end of season next spring some time and start a little earlier next summer, then so be it. I don't mind missing a season. It's not essential, we don't have to tie ourselves to it. I'd rather finish what's started.

Then, with an earlier starting season, we could actually stagger games so that more will be played on 3pm on a Saturday. No excuse for Thursday night shite etc when you've got more time to play with.

So is shopping, going to the pub, walking the dog, etc. but it's called living. There's surviving and there's thriving, and I can't see people putting their lives on hold indefinitely as a solution.

"No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home at Weston-super-Mare."

Kingsley Amis

If you would rather see a game of football than your parents or grandparents alive for Christmas you are deranged.

I think they'll find some solution to getting games played. The authorities must know that they have to figure out positive solutions to keep people going. At least if the season restarts behind closed doors then that's something to look forward to.

There's no way they can keep a full lockdown going for 6 months. I do wonder if they'll end up locking down those most at risk and try and get things back to some normality for the rest!

I think they'll find some solution to getting games played. The authorities must know that they have to figure out positive solutions to keep people going. At least if the season restarts behind closed doors then that's something to look forward to.

There's no way they can keep a full lockdown going for 6 months. I do wonder if they'll end up locking down those most at risk and try and get things back to some normality for the rest!
We're not in a full lockdown.

Sorry to hear that. But nobody wants football back over thousands (if not more) of lives.

How is playing Premier League football (only Prem, not Football League) behind closed doors going to kill thousands of people?

Christ almighty, the level of comprehension from some people on here is incredible, even after you filter out the fact that 99% of what the mass media and government says is, if not just flat out lies, distorting the actual story to fit their agenda, do some of you not realise that a "back to normal" 24 hour period starting late Friday for me might involve:

a) go home from work
b) go to pub
c) get takeaway
d) travel across to Sheffield next morning
e) go to Beer Engine
f) watch McGoldrick not score again

and that I could not be allowed to do any of these but they could still be playing the games?

How is playing Premier League football (only Prem, not Football League) behind closed doors going to kill thousands of people?

How are you going to play one league not the others? Relegation and promotion etc. Let alone European factors. Paramedic staff at games seems ludicrous too.

It's going to take joined up thinking across Europe seeing as how the league's are all connected and that will mean delays as other places are harder hit.

It's simply unworkable at all this stage and so frivolous compared to everything else happening in the country and further afield.

Some places have rules saying you can't go within 200 yards of your home. We are encouraged to walk for a hour or run for half an hour. Freedom!

Awesome.

I do suspect within a month or so, there will much more nuanced rules than this. They aren't going to keep some sections of society battened down for too long before things boil over.

Awesome.

I do suspect within a month or so, there will much more nuanced rules than this. They aren't going to keep some sections of society battened down for too long before things boil over.

Boil over or have people die? I'm afraid some people have got to learn not to act like children running away from the naughty step.

The restrictions are likely to tighten ( if other countries are anything to go on and stuff Boris and co have hinted at) before they very slowly get relaxed

How are you going to play one league not the others? Relegation and promotion etc. Let alone European factors. Paramedic staff at games seems ludicrous too.

It's going to take joined up thinking across Europe seeing as how the league's are all connected and that will mean delays as other places are harder hit.

It's simply unworkable at all this stage and so frivolous compared to everything else happening in the country and further afield.

Surely it's better to have some football even without relegation, than none at all. It is after all the opium of the masses and there's only so much Netflix Series to keep folk going.

The Premier League is where the money is so they can work around the issues, the further you go down the leagues the harder it gets. Sadly for the National League and even League Two and One, their seasons might end up being void. As for Europe, that's up to them to sort out, we can't sit around waiting for Spain and Italy, otherwise we might as well just void the season now.

The medical staff can all be the club doctors of Premier League clubs, let's not forget the plans are apparently for all matches to be in a central location behind closed doors.

Football needs cash coming in to support all divisions in England, that is where the Premier League can help. Get matches on TV with solidarity payments being sent further down the leagues.

The country needs a morale boost, this is where Football can help the nation. Staying locked indoors for a year isn't the only solution to the crisis the world is currently facing.

Boil over or have people die? I'm afraid some people have got to learn not to act like children running away from the naughty step.

The restrictions are likely to tighten ( if other countries are anything to go on and stuff Boris and co have hinted at) before they very slowly get relaxed

Some people won't stop acting like children. Large portions of society are just plain thick and won't get it.

If you look at some of the news articles circulating this weekend, it may well be that the government is preparing the ground for the 'just let some people die' scenario!

Back
Top Bottom