The last two 'Great' Blades teams - a comparison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
The last ‘great’ Blades team, prior to the current one, in my lifetime was in the John Harris\Ken Furphy era, spanning 1969-1975. “Great”, in Blades terms, defined by making a successful transition to the top flight while playing an aesthetically pleasing style of football.

Harris’ team won promotion in 1971 and then went unbeaten in its first 10 games, racing to the top of the old First Division. The wheels came off, somewhat, after being beaten by George Best in a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford but ‘United’ still finished in a respectable 10th position. Harris moved ‘upstairs’ in December 73, replaced by Ken Furphy. The Blades remained a mid-table, First Division team for 4 seasons, culminating in a 6th place finish in 1975 – an achievement only bettered on three occasions in the last 100 years (when finishing 5th in 1924, 26 and 62).

The 11 players who epitomised that period, for me, are:

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Hockey makes it into the line-up, despite a relatively short Blades career, due to his key role as Currie’s minder in the 1971 promotion winning team.

Goalkeeper, Hodgkinson was at the end of his career and replaced by John Hope, in the 1971 promotion winning season so didn’t play in the return to the top flight.

The Blades employed an exciting, expansive style of, “on the front foot”, football, attacking down both wings, with both full-backs encouraged to get forward. Currie ran the show from centre mid and developed a telepathic understanding with Woodward.

Despite finishing the season as runners-up, Harris’ team were comfortably the division’s top scorers, while remaining frugal in defence. Only champions, Leicester conceded fewer goals.

My comparative, current day, 11 – again chosen on the basis of playing a key role in the transition from 2nd to top tier – is:

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

Duffy makes it over Lundstram - despite being moved on following promotion - due to his more influential role in the promotion winning team.

In terms of similarities, the glaringly obvious one is in the stability of the two line-ups, measured by numbers of appearances. The 60s/70s team averaged a staggering 300+ appearances per player. Even from an age where players moved club less frequently, this is an extraordinary statistic. By comparison, the ‘current’ roster has already notched up an average of 123 appearances with, hopefully, plenty more to come.

Harris, like Wilder, saw the value of having a settled team with players who understood and trusted each other.

Harris built his team from a combination of home-grown talent (Hodgkinson, Badger, Salmons and Woodward) and astute, value signings (Hemsley, Flynn, Reece, Dearden and Hockey). Significant money, (bearing in mind the record transfer fee at the time was £150k spent by Leicester City on Allan Clarke), was invested in signing Currie from Watford (£26,500) and Colquhoun (£27,500) from West Brom. Currie was a young player deemed to have outstanding potential; Colquhoun was an established, highly rated centre half, who’d already proven himself in Division One.

Wilder employed a similar approach in building his promotion winning team; focusing mainly on younger players with raw attributes, who he felt could be improved (Henderson, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O’Connell and Egan).

1968 was a critical year of recruitment in building the successful team of the seventies, with Hemsley, Colquhoun and Currie joining a squad, which already included Hodgkinson, Badger, Salmons, Woodward and Reece. Fifty years later, in 2018, Wilder signed Henderson, Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick prior to storming to promotion.

A notable point of difference in the two eras is the relative lack of home-grown talent in the current group, with only Billy coming through the ranks.

Wilder has also had the luxury of being able to spend big following promotion – an option unavailable to John Harris during an era which preceded the riches of the Premier League.

A word of noteworthy caution from the 70s era:

In 1976, one year after that 6th placed finish, the Blades were relegated, not returning to the top flight until 1990, under Dave Bassett. From that ‘great’ team: Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Flynn, Currie, Woodward and Dearden all played their last game for the Blades in the two years between 1976-78. The successful 70s team, assembled in a relatively short period, had - with the exception of Currie who was sold to Leeds - grown old together without being effectively replaced.

A good report, and thought provoking.
Bearing in mind the 71 team was 'my team', what I'm about to say surprises even me.
If my life depended on it, which team would I want to go out and play for it. ?
Today's team, hands down, and I can't pay them a higher tribute.

The last ‘great’ Blades team, prior to the current one, in my lifetime was in the John Harris\Ken Furphy era, spanning 1969-1975. “Great”, in Blades terms, defined by making a successful transition to the top flight while playing an aesthetically pleasing style of football.

Harris’ team won promotion in 1971 and then went unbeaten in its first 10 games, racing to the top of the old First Division. The wheels came off, somewhat, after being beaten by George Best in a 2-0 defeat at Old Trafford but ‘United’ still finished in a respectable 10th position. Harris moved ‘upstairs’ in December 73, replaced by Ken Furphy. The Blades remained a mid-table, First Division team for 4 seasons, culminating in a 6th place finish in 1975 – an achievement only bettered on three occasions in the last 100 years (when finishing 5th in 1924, 26 and 62).

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Hockey makes it into the line-up, despite a relatively short Blades career, due to his key role as Currie’s minder in the 1971 promotion winning team.

Goalkeeper, Hodgkinson was at the end of his career and replaced by John Hope, in the 1971 promotion winning season so didn’t play in the return to the top flight.

The Blades employed an exciting, expansive style of, “on the front foot”, football, attacking down both wings, with both full-backs encouraged to get forward. Currie ran the show from centre mid and developed a telepathic understanding with Woodward.

Despite finishing the season as runners-up, Harris’ team were comfortably the division’s top scorers, while remaining frugal in defence. Only champions, Leicester conceded fewer goals.

My comparative, current day, 11 – again chosen on the basis of playing a key role in the transition from 2nd to top tier – is:

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

Duffy makes it over Lundstram - despite being moved on following promotion - due to his more influential role in the promotion winning team.

In terms of similarities, the glaringly obvious one is in the stability of the two line-ups, measured by numbers of appearances. The 60s/70s team averaged a staggering 300+ appearances per player. Even from an age where players moved club less frequently, this is an extraordinary statistic. By comparison, the ‘current’ roster has already notched up an average of 123 appearances with, hopefully, plenty more to come.

Harris, like Wilder, saw the value of having a settled team with players who understood and trusted each other.

Harris built his team from a combination of home-grown talent (Hodgkinson, Badger, Salmons and Woodward) and astute, value signings (Hemsley, Flynn, Reece, Dearden and Hockey). Significant money, (bearing in mind the record transfer fee at the time was £150k spent by Leicester City on Allan Clarke), was invested in signing Currie from Watford (£26,500) and Colquhoun (£27,500) from West Brom. Currie was a young player deemed to have outstanding potential; Colquhoun was an established, highly rated centre half, who’d already proven himself in Division One.

Wilder employed a similar approach in building his promotion winning team; focusing mainly on younger players with raw attributes, who he felt could be improved (Henderson, Baldock, Stevens, Fleck, O’Connell and Egan).

1968 was a critical year of recruitment in building the successful team of the seventies, with Hemsley, Colquhoun and Currie joining a squad, which already included Hodgkinson, Badger, Salmons, Woodward and Reece. Fifty years later, in 2018, Wilder signed Henderson, Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick prior to storming to promotion.

A notable point of difference in the two eras is the relative lack of home-grown talent in the current group, with only Billy coming through the ranks.

Wilder has also had the luxury of being able to spend big following promotion – an option unavailable to John Harris during an era which preceded the riches of the Premier League.

In 1976, one year after that 6th placed finish, the Blades were relegated, not returning to the top flight until 1990, under Dave Bassett. From that ‘great’ team: Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Flynn, Currie, Woodward and Dearden all played their last game for the Blades in the two years between 1976-78. The successful 70s team, assembled in a relatively short period, had - with the exception of Currie who was sold to Leeds - grown old together without being effectively replaced.
Yes, said this earlier. I'm comparing the two sides and this one will join the Harris/Furphy lot in Blades folklore.
Difference is, the board were likely to sell if they could and not spend much.
Today we've got the Prince and tv money.
If only Harris had CW to follow him.
Also, got to mention Tom Macalister as the goalie.

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

Really enjoyed that - you put a right load of work and thought into it. Brilliant! Well done indeed! 👍

That was my era too and I concur with everything you've said. I still tend to think that the early 70's team had a few more individually talented players than the current one. But the current one is the stronger of the two I believe. More consistent and robust than the 70's team, which could be brilliant one week and woeful the next.

In drawing such comparisons though we have to remember how much the game has changed. Players are athletes now, the game is much faster and more demanding, the equipment they play with is better, the pitches they play on are better, the players they play against are fitter and technically better. The science and analytics just wasn't there back then - and this has driven a lot of positive changes.

What I do miss though is the more physical nature of the game back then. It was a proper man's game and you didn't see so much of this play-acting and rolling around pretending to have been hit in the face. That would have caused outrage back then, but now it's kind of "normal" and I really don't like that. Tackling was an art form, crude and dangerous though at times, but my God it was entertaining to see. Another thing I miss are the characters in the game. The likes of TC, Frank Worthington, Alan Hudson, Stan Bowles, Charlie George, Franny Lee, Malcolm McDonald, Dave Mackay, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith... they were so many back then. We seem to have a far more insipid homogeneous set of players these days.

The changing rules of the game have made the game safer, but a bit more sterile. It's one of the reasons I dislike VAR. I think it is sterilising the game - and at the end of the day, we don't want a sterile product. That's boring!

Any of you younger Blades reading this may think I'm an old fart. I am in training to be an old fart tbf, but I've not arrived there fully just yet. However, all I'd say is, embrace this current team and the times we are having. Because in 50 years time you might get another Sheffield United team as good as this one - and you'll be the old fart reminiscing about the Wilder era then. ;)

Bearing in mind the 71 team was 'my team', what I'm about to say surprises even me.
Quite right comparing these two lots, absolutely adore both.
Harris' team had the goals in it. This one is lacking but sure they will come.
My life on it? Flip a coin, either.

Imagine TC, Woody, Sammy and Gil on today’s pitches. Badge could have done the wing-back bit, unsure about Ted though! Werewolf was my favourite - win the ball and give it to Tony - sit him in front of our back 3 and nothing would come through. Our current back 6 and our old front 5 though - that would be a team!

Pure Magic

Imagine TC, Woody, Sammy and Gil on today’s pitches. Badge could have done the wing-back bit, unsure about Ted though! Werewolf was my favourite - win the ball and give it to Tony - sit him in front of our back 3 and nothing would come through. Our current back 6 and our old front 5 though - that would be a team!

Pure Magic
Salmons, all day a fit for this team.

I'm not sure our current team could have given Leeds United the mauling they got on that memorable and wonderful night of 17th August 1971, but if we manage to smash Leicester, Chelsea or Spurs by a similar margin I'll be very happy for this season at least. There's no doubt in my mind though that given those players under current conditions and our current Manager, European football would be a shoe-in from here.

I'm not sure our current team could have given Leeds United the mauling they got on that memorable and wonderful night of 17th August 1971, but if we manage to smash Leicester, Chelsea or Spurs by a similar margin I'll be very happy for this season at least. There's no doubt in my mind though that given those players under current conditions and our current Manager, European football would be a shoe-in from here.
Also crushed a decent Ipswich, Arsenal, Cloughies Derby in that period.
With 10 grands worth of centre forward in Billy Dearden from Chester of all places ( Rush started there but that's by the by).
Excellent thread this is.

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

Thanks for this fascinating comparison. I saw both teams and a big obvious difference is wingers - or lack thereof ... the 1971 version had no fewer than three playing at once (Woody, Salmons, Scullion or Reece) and even Billy Dearden, the centre forward, was a converted winger. So the team was devastating down both flanks, particularly when Woodward and Salmons were on form, with TC pinging inch-perfect crossfield passes to them. I never thought I’d live to see a Blades team that was as good, potentially better, but now I have.

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

And don't forget Dave Powell, who made 89 appearances from '68 - 72 (2 goals)

Hodgkinson (576 apps)

Badger (458 apps)

Hemsley (247 apps)

Flynn (190 apps)

Colquhoun (363 apps)

Salmons (180 apps)

Woodward (536 apps)

Hockey (68 apps)

Dearden (175 apps)

Currie (313 apps)

Reece (210 apps)

Henderson (70 apps)

Baldock (85 apps)

Stevens (117 apps)

Basham (254 apps)

Egan (69 apps)

O’Connell (162 apps)

Norwood (71 apps)

Fleck (155 apps)

Duffy (111 apps)

Sharp (207 apps)

McGoldrick (69 apps)

For somebody too young to have been around in 75 why is Furphy never mentioned when discussing Blades best ever managers? Was it still considered to be Harris’s team even with him upstairs?

For somebody too young to have been around in 75 why is Furphy never mentioned when discussing Blades best ever managers? Was it still considered to be Harris’s team even with him upstairs?

I've always wondered that, especially as Harris did, in the parlance of the forum, FOTH.

Might be wrong on all counts here.
Harris wanted to stand aside for a younger manager and recommended Furphy, who inherited a fine team.
Think the board baulked at investing in the team so we suffered. Some of the players we wanted, mind boggling.
Salmons went apparently to pay the deposit for the south stand. TC went for PEA-FIN-NUTS, Woody and the rest drifted off with no adequate replacements.
Furphy took them on a tour of the U.S. and came back with a Pontiac firebird. Think a lot of players stayed there.

Back to the theme of the thread and it really feels like we are edging towards that 70's team. With some DB spirit thrown in

Great post, I am other one that sees the 68/75 team as a reference to how good (or bad) our other teams have been since, & I was at an age where the flamboyant flair players left a deep impression on me. I have to say that I would have had David Powell in instead of John Flynn even though he only played around the half the number of games, injuries were the reason he isn't as highly thought of as he should be IMO, at only 5ft 10in he had a brilliant spring & was superb in the air. I have to mention John Hope too, up until his back problem he was excellent & played a pivotal part in the promotion campaign. Despite the fact that team were capable of having off days, when they were on it they played some of the best football I have ever seen, & because of the memories I have had in my head for the last 50 years would lean towards them, although I have to concede that the current side would get my vote if I had to put my house on a result. The current team is more pragmatic, & has lost some of the swagger of the previous 3 years, but I can see the plan & feel that with the new players on board & safety in the Prem all but sealed there will be another change that will see us be a bit more offensive & play more on the front foot.

A great post and it has taken a long time for that 69-75 period to be matched but I think this period is going to do it. For young fans, you have to remember that we topped the old first division for a number of weeks in 1970 and were playing top class football against all the big boys. I was one of the many thousands who were locked out of the famous defeat to Man Utd with the George Best goal. Like today's squad, they too were a 'team' in the true meaning of the word. I think the attacking flair of that earlier team and goalscoring was better than this team is currently but for sheer consistency and the performance levels throughout the team, this team has it. The quality of the pitches and ball ball used was so different back in the day it is hard to believe. By this stage of the season the only places left with proper grass were four triangles in each corner and the rest was a muddy, brownish colour with a few bit of green here and there. At times you just couldn't play the passing game we enjoy now and that is why you needed a big centre forward and good wingers - you had to bypass the midfield in many matches. Currie's long balls to Woodward, Salmons etc just cut out the midfield. What would all those players have done on the Desso pitches? The quality of our football at the moment is brilliant. What is also different for this team is that, and for the first time I can really remember, is that we are truly buying and investing for the future from a position of strength. I am not saying we never invested but all too often it was inevitable our best players would be sold before they reached their peak - Mick Jones, Alan Birchenall and Tony Currie to name but three from that earlier period. What would they fetch now? Anyway, as a 71 year old I am just so pleased to be here watching this team. Two of my old friends who watched matches back with me in that earlier period and were life long Blades fans are sadly no longer with us and they both passed away before Wilder took over. Their last few years of watching the Blades was, as it was fo all of us, painful to watch. They would be buzzing if they were around now. I just hope they are looking down on us now.

One thing not in the OP, the Harris team were prolific goalscorers, entering something called the Watney Cup, for the club who scored most goals without qualifying for Europe. The first four games in 1971, included three wins against the previous three league Champions, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, the equivalent this season would be, City, Man Utd, Chelsea ( ish).

A great post and it has taken a long time for that 69-75 period to be matched but I think this period is going to do it. For young fans, you have to remember that we topped the old first division for a number of weeks in 1970 and were playing top class football against all the big boys. I was one of the many thousands who were locked out of the famous defeat to Man Utd with the George Best goal. Like today's squad, they too were a 'team' in the true meaning of the word. I think the attacking flair of that earlier team and goalscoring was better than this team is currently but for sheer consistency and the performance levels throughout the team, this team has it. The quality of the pitches and ball ball used was so different back in the day it is hard to believe. By this stage of the season the only places left with proper grass were four triangles in each corner and the rest was a muddy, brownish colour with a few bit of green here and there. At times you just couldn't play the passing game we enjoy now and that is why you needed a big centre forward and good wingers - you had to bypass the midfield in many matches. Currie's long balls to Woodward, Salmons etc just cut out the midfield. What would all those players have done on the Desso pitches? The quality of our football at the moment is brilliant. What is also different for this team is that, and for the first time I can really remember, is that we are truly buying and investing for the future from a position of strength. I am not saying we never invested but all too often it was inevitable our best players would be sold before they reached their peak - Mick Jones, Alan Birchenall and Tony Currie to name but three from that earlier period. What would they fetch now? Anyway, as a 71 year old I am just so pleased to be here watching this team. Two of my old friends who watched matches back with me in that earlier period and were life long Blades fans are sadly no longer with us and they both passed away before Wilder took over. Their last few years of watching the Blades was, as it was fo all of us, painful to watch. They would be buzzing if they were around now. I just hope they are looking down on us now.

I was inside Old Trafford, unusually this match is known for the number of Blades who say they were locked out than actually were at the game. Must be approaching MASSIVE proportions. LOL

The only thing missing from the team of the 70's was it was that eleven only with very little reserves should there be any injuries. Currie and Woodward as good as any player anywhere not sure we can say the same for today's team just yet but times change today's team would hammer the 70's side as they are so much fitter none of having a fag after the game today, better doctors, physios better analysis of player in games it is a different world to back then.
Remember too Bramall lane in the early 70's was only three sides at the time with only around just over 6000 seated so not really a place to bring in a lot of cash even with big crowds. To have a chance to sustain it we had to build the south stand but at the wrong time. When Furphy took over there was no money and he had to buy from the third division one or two might be ok but keep doing it and you get a third division team eventually. If I remember right there was only Mick Spieght coming through the ranks that was any good.

In response to a few points above: I was a wee nipper at the time, but as I recall, Furphy did get credit for his team's 6th placed finish and also the benefit of the doubt for the rapid decline, given the untimely investment in the South Stand. This occurred at precisely the time when most of the 'Class of 68' were passing their prime and, evidently, restricted investment in the team (something that shouldn't be used as an 'either/or' excuse now given the scale of Premier League money).

'Gentleman John' Harris was a tough gig to follow and the style and swagger he brought to the Blades - in complete contrast to his own humble character - was absent for the subsequent half a century (maybe we saw glimpses under Spackman and Kendall?). He did, briefly, as an earlier poster noted, pass over to the dark side - enticed by Beelzebub himself, who had taken on the form of Jack Charlton. Harris' later conversion to lay preacher was rumoured to have been an act of penance.

Special mention for Keith Eddy in the 1974/75 team that was close to play europe 4 pts behind winners Derby, (mind that year only 8pts between 1st and 10th) Eddy was calmness and played CH and CMF, Furphy stated he'd love two Eddy's, one in defence and one in midfield. Did he miss any pens? think he took over from Woody that season.

Interesting debate, the game has changed beyond recognition between the 2 periods being compared.

Fitness, video analysis, media analysis, diet, lifestyle, alcohol consumption, tobacco consumption, Sky TV, all seater stadium etc etc have all had their impact on the game thus, in my opinion making comparisons very difficult.

Todays team would, I believe, annihilate the 70’s team for many of the reasons listed above - Could and would Currie perform in today’s game?

Currie would have had to adapt and probably would have but don’t forget if the 70’s side were playing today’s team which set of rules apply, the ref allowing the more physical nature of the game back then or the ‘touch me and I’ll fall over’ game?

Todays team excites me like I was excited as a youth watching TC.

Interesting debate, the game has changed beyond recognition between the 2 periods being compared.

Fitness, video analysis, media analysis, diet, lifestyle, alcohol consumption, tobacco consumption, Sky TV, all seater stadium etc etc have all had their impact on the game thus, in my opinion making comparisons very difficult.

Todays team would, I believe, annihilate the 70’s team for many of the reasons listed above - Could and would Currie perform in today’s game?

Of course he would, he'd have had contact with a pro club from about eight year old.

Surprised no ones put together a best 11 out of them two sides! Obviously different era's but on individual qualities you can pick one or the other.

Wish i could but I'm not 30 yet!!

Interesting OP but I don’t agree that Bassett’s team wasn’t a “great” Blades team.
They rose from the 3rd Division to 9th in the 1st Division.
Stayed up for four seasons. FA Cup Semi-Finalists and Quarter-Finalists.
Scored loads of goals playing an “on the front foot” attacking brand of football.
Beat most of the top teams of the day. Some several times.
Built from a combination of home-grown talent and astute, value for money signings.
No real big money signings. About £700K being the highest.
They might now only be the third best team in United’s recent history but they don’t deserve to be ignored.

I think two things that have changed since back then are:

Speed of thought. This separates the top players from the 'just have that extra touch'. And...

Despite being the 'best league in the world', the PL still hosts some piss-poor managers who spend big to mask their own deficiencies. Dean Smith & Daniel Farke (out of their depth), Mikel Arteta and Ole Gunnar Solskjær - doomed to fail in emulating the great Wenger & Ferguson teams, Roy Hodgson - employed on sentiment only - and David Fucking Moyes. Try as they might, the media wants us to believe in 'new manager bounce'. It's simply a new manager who is putting right the shocking efforts of previous manager(s) at West Ham, Everton, Arsenal, Watford etc. (Too early to judge Nigel Pearson or Carlo Ancelotti).

People still talk about 'when will Sheffield United be found out?' We've played every team in the PL now. Don't they think teams do their homework before they play us? The secret is having 14 players who give their all, every match, or they know they're out. I can't remember a single instance of a Blades player under Wilder being booed because he's having a stinker.

I saw my first Blades game in 1962 but got interested in the late 60s. The John Harris team was (briefly) superb. Dave Bassett's team did exceptionally well and periods of Warnock's reign had their merits. But the best of all? Chris Wilder's tenure.

Nothing to do with 'better pitches', 'improved fitness' etc. Just desire. What will make it very hard to break into the top six is the sheer money these teams have amassed and that makes CW/AK all the more remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom