Recruitment going forward..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some very good players suggested. However, my concern with a number of them is their natural/current positions. I think most people have identified a need for more flair/creativity but most of the suggested players either play in the #10 role or as a wide forward, neither of which Utd currently play with. Robinson has shown how difficult it can be to adapt especially when making the step-up from lower leagues. Unless CWAK have any intention of altering the midfield set-up now that Berge has joined e.g. using two pivots and one in a more advanced position, the creativity will need to come from another that can play the McGOldrick role i.e. a striker that can drop deeper to collect the ball.

Another point almost every person, including managers judge players based on quality and what they can do with the ball.

However Wilder seems to put a lot of importance on personality/ character/ leadership qualities.
He also puts a lot of importance in how a player performs out of possession. They need to be 100% committed to the team.
The above criteria rules out quite a lot of talented players.....Wilder always puts team effectiveness over individual quality.

I think looking at Odsonne Édouard from Celtic at 22 would be a decent and not unreasonable acquisition. 6'2", 42 in 75 for the Hoops.

Slightly more in the God, no, you've got to be kidding me stakes is Alfredo Morelos at Rangers. 23, 5'10" with 44 in 82 for the Teddy Bears.

'Big 6' might not be quite ready to take the plunge and both good ages. Concerns obviously about Morelos' temperament.

With a full summer to go at, I'd be confident we could lure one at a fee that would be in budget.

Edouard would be an awesome signing.

Previouly had him in the totally unrealistic category but if we can sign Berge, then you never know.

Some very good players suggested. However, my concern with a number of them is their natural/current positions. I think most people have identified a need for more flair/creativity but most of the suggested players either play in the #10 role or as a wide forward, neither of which Utd currently play with. Robinson has shown how difficult it can be to adapt especially when making the step-up from lower leagues. Unless CWAK have any intention of altering the midfield set-up now that Berge has joined e.g. using two pivots and one in a more advanced position, the creativity will need to come from another that can play the McGOldrick role i.e. a striker that can drop deeper to collect the ball.

I'm interested to see if Wilder and Knill mix it up next year. I could completely see us having a crazy switching overload where we play with a wide player in a central / number 10 role who has licence to drift wide creating further overloads with the wingbacks or drawing out a defender and opening up space. Sure we're not going to play with the type of winger who hugs the touchline and crosses a ball in but someone who has the freedom to drift could be very interesting to observe.

I personally love Grealish as a player. He takes on a lot of responsibility, is brave in his decision making, he works extremely hard at both ends of the field & he has an awful lot of quality & end product. His attitude seems spot on too, always picks himself up & goes again.

The diving / play acting is annoying, but I think we'd stamp that out of him. I remember when McBurnie first joined he would expend half of his energy whingeing at referees. Now - never. He plays much better for it too.

Cantwell is a poor man's Maddison for me. A lot of talent, but nowhere near the same level of ability. Grealish edges both of them based on attitude, leadership & on field ownership.

Grealish is one player that I think could play the McGoldrick role (differently but) very effectively in our setup. If a Grealish exists somewhere on the continent and is priced under £25m I hope we're aware & make our move. Succession planning for McGoldrick should be high on our list of priorities this Summer. We're not the same team without a link man.

I'm interested to see if Wilder and Knill mix it up next year. I could completely see us having a crazy switching overload where we play with a wide player in a central / number 10 role who has licence to drift wide creating further overloads with the wingbacks or drawing out a defender and opening up space. Sure we're not going to play with the type of winger who hugs the touchline and crosses a ball in but someone who has the freedom to drift could be very interesting to observe.

Maybe CWAK will surprise us but given the solidity provided by the flat mid 3, I'd be very surprised if it's changed next season apart from during games if Plan A is not working. That, unfortunately, means that Freeman (L) will continue to be a bit part and it would be pointless signing players like Benrahma or Eze (I must admit I don't get the obsession by some supporters for the latter) unless it is thought they could adapt to either a role in the flat mid 3 or as a second striker i.e. McGoldrick's role . The same would have applied to Bowen but thankfully West Ham panicked and offered him (& Hull) a ridiculous amount of money to sign for them.

Over summer I see the main priorities as:

- GK - Henderson for a 3rd year or AN Other
- Cover for Egan to replace Jagielka in the squad
- New striker - Watkins if Brentford aren't promoted to replace Robinson
- Possibly another striker if it is felt that Sharp won't be able to do another season
- Competition for McGoldrick
- Cover for Baldock to replace Freeman (K) in the squad
- Cover for Stevens - I'm not sure Osborn is the answer as he strikes me more as cover for Fleck
- Replacement for Lundstram if he leaves

I personally love Grealish as a player. He takes on a lot of responsibility, is brave in his decision making, he works extremely hard at both ends of the field & he has an awful lot of quality & end product. His attitude seems spot on too, always picks himself up & goes again.

The diving / play acting is annoying, but I think we'd stamp that out of him. I remember when McBurnie first joined he would expend half of his energy whingeing at referees. Now - never. He plays much better for it too.

Cantwell is a poor man's Maddison for me. A lot of talent, but nowhere near the same level of ability. Grealish edges both of them based on attitude, leadership & on field ownership.

Grealish is one player that I think could play the McGoldrick role (differently but) very effectively in our setup. If a Grealish exists somewhere on the continent and is priced under £25m I hope we're aware & make our move. Succession planning for McGoldrick should be high on our list of priorities this Summer. We're not the same team without a link man.
I think Grealish is beyond our budget if he leaves villa he will cost upwoods of fifty million.
He's a great player and Southgate has to bring him in not just in the squad ! but start him.If villa go down he will go to one of the big 4 ,dont think were in that bracket yet.

For me it is a combination of clearing out and adding strength in depth/competition for places. we have been so lucky with suspensions and injuries, (touches wood) and have not had to call in those fringe players too often, which for me is a good thing because they are not on the same level in the main and don't appear to put enough pressure on those ahead of them.

GK - Hendo preferably but if not Verrips and A.N. Other. Let Simon Moore go.

Defence

RWB/LWB/ - Can't see K Freeman still being here next season and to be honest I will be concerned if he is, no competition to George at all. Again but feel we need someone to put the squeeze on Enda, not convinced Osborn is an LWB.
CB/RCB/LCB - Bash can't keep going forever and I'm sure CW will be looking at this, (hence Retsos). Need competition for Egan and JOC.
Midfield - Berge & Fleck are the future. Norwoood possibly as well. More competition needed though....Lunny will have his extra year triggered but I could see him going in the summer. Not sure CW will go for Besic long term. Can see L Freeman moving on as well.
Up Top - Moose & McB are the only ones definite to stay. I think Billy will either leave for a swansong in the USA or move onto the coaching side. Didzy may well be kept although I think we could quickly move on, (age not on his side and at the end of the day we haven't scored enough goals this year!) and Robbo may get another chance but personally I would rather us look elsewhere.

Definitely out - Moore, K Freeman, Bryan, Jags, Rodwell, Morrison, Leon
Possibly out - Besic, Lunny, L Freeman, Billy, Didzy, Robbo
Unknown - Deano, Retsos, Zivkovic

That would leave the following as definite stayers

GK - Verrips, Eastwood
Defence - George, Bash, Egan, JOC, Robinson, Enda
Midfield - Berge, Norwood, Fleck, Osborn
Forwards - McB, Moose

11 vacancies to be either filled by the existing squad or recruited. Can't see CW ripping it apart that much but would think we would see 5 or 6 come in over the summer at least.

Last edited:
I hope Billy doesn't go but if he does we should look at Jack Marriott. I think our management is exactly what he needs.

Do you not think we should be looking at better than Jack Marriott next season?

I didn't say he should be the only striker signing.

He has bags of potential and could be signed cheaper than he might have been.

I hope Billy doesn't go but if he does we should look at Jack Marriott. I think our management is exactly what he needs.
Why?
He hasn't done even to deserve a Prem move, nevermind warrant one. He's consistently late to training and isn't a good trainer generally speaking. CWAK wouldn't bare that.

Why?
He hasn't done even to deserve a Prem move, nevermind warrant one. He's consistently late to training and isn't a good trainer generally speaking. CWAK wouldn't bare that.

Maybe he'd be able to change that, and would be willing to gamble for the right price. It's not like he hasn't took a chance on players before.

Retsos, if he comes good can play anywhere across the back 3. Unknown as of yet, but if he performs well & is at the right age.

Number 10, hopefully with Berge in MF we can afford to revert back to the previous formation that got us success in the lower leagues. Someone technical like McGoldrick or Duffy to knit things together. Someone like a peak Harry Kewell. Potentially look at Eze at QPR again or abroad.

Someone to play both LWB & RWB to put pressure on our current two of Stevens & Baldock.

New striker, someone with Sharp's tenacity and hold-up play, that's 5/10 years younger. Maupay potentially if Brighton get dragged down.

Maybe he'd be able to change that, and would be willing to gamble for the right price. It's not like he hasn't took a chance on players before.
Not keen myself. Regarding potential too, how long does potential last? He's 25 now and not really consistently playing (or scoring) at Derby.

I'd take Conor Chaplin. To score 9 goals already (same goes for Woodrow, but we already have McBurnie for that sort of role) in that Barnsley side is impressive.
Bit of a creator, pacy and lively to boot. Taken to Championship life fantastically well and only 22.

Not keen myself. Regarding potential too, how long does potential last? He's 25 now and not really consistently playing (or scoring) at Derby.

I'd take Conor Chaplin. To score 9 goals already (same goes for Woodrow, but we already have McBurnie for that sort of role) in that Barnsley side is impressive.
Bit of a creator, pacy and lively to boot. Taken to Championship life fantastically well and only 22.

Potential isn't always that closely related to age. Playing time, level playing at and application are big factors. I feel Marriott is already a very good player and most of his future potential lies in his application and probably fitness improving. Sharp peaked around age 31/32. Marriott could follow a similar path. Depends if he wants it enough.

Chaplin might be a good shout. There's always some decent pickings from Barnsley.

Lots of suggestions here that just won’t happen. We only spend big on players with a capacity to really accrue value. Our niche in the market has to be offering players like Berge a chance, and an environment, they won’t get at an established big club. And we may sell them on in a couple of years for profit.

We will sign the occasional experienced head like Jags, but only short term and with impeccable character.

Like another poster pointed out above, buying players in the Shaqiri mould is a recipe for relegation.

I didn't say he should be the only striker signing.

He has bags of potential and could be signed cheaper than he might have been.
I think we just need the one 'stellar' striker signing next summer.

Marriott was a good option in the promotion winning season, and possibly last summer. However the landscape has changed significantly - not only financially now that the court stuff is finished, but also in regards to aspirations to what we can build/achieve.

Marriott hasn't shown anything in the last 12 months to indicate he could be worth 15+ goals at this level. I think we need much better and need someone who is more proven at a top league/european level.

I think we just need the one 'stellar' striker signing next summer.

Marriott was a good option in the promotion winning season, and possibly last summer. However the landscape has changed significantly - not only financially now that the court stuff is finished, but also in regards to aspirations to what we can build/achieve.

Marriott hasn't shown anything in the last 12 months to indicate he could be worth 15+ goals at this level. I think we need much better and need someone who is more proven at a top league/european level.

Players of Marriott's profile will still very much be under consideration.

We've just come out of a transfer window where we've signed Jack Rodwell and Jack Robinson.

A full pre-season with us and I'd hope that McBurnie and Mousset will be well up to speed by then and still young.

Players of Marriott's profile will still very much be under consideration.

We've just come out of a transfer window where we've signed Jack Rodwell and Jack Robinson.
Rodwell and Robinson are squad players - back up for existing 'stellar' players.

Marroitt if he came in now would be what, 5th, 6th choice - in an area where we have struggled for a clinical finisher. Whats the point?

Like the Prince said when he took over, we should be looking at 1 or 2 top level signings to supplement what we already have. Berge was a perfect example. And I hope we do the same striker wise in the summer.

Marrott for me would be a pointless signing, both for the club and the player himself.

Rodwell and Robinson are squad players - back up for existing 'stellar' players.

Marroitt if he came in now would be what, 5th, 6th choice - in an area where we have struggled for a clinical finisher. Whats the point?

Like the Prince said when he took over, we should be looking at 1 or 2 top level signings to supplement what we already have. Berge was a perfect example. And I hope we do the same striker wise in the summer.

Marrott for me would be a pointless signing, both for the club and the player himself.

We'll be signing a number of squad players in the summer. We'll do well to sign one to strengthen the first 11.

Marriott is in a similar mould to Sharp and could develop well with us, being a squad player initially.

We'll be signing a number of squad players in the summer. We'll do well to sign one to strengthen the first 11.

Marriott is in a similar mould to Sharp and could develop well with us, being a squad player initially.
Ypu might well be right, but I think we already have our striker squad players and back up, we need that extra special player up there now.

Whereas the rest of the squad is quite difficult to upgrade on even with our new transfer policy.

Ypu might well be right, but I think we already have our striker squad players and back up, we need that extra special player up there now.

Whereas the rest of the squad is quite difficult to upgrade on even with our new transfer policy.

My ideal striker situation next season is:

Mousset
New signing
McBurnie
McGoldrick
Sharp/New signing

So possibly just one, as you say. But unfortunately I think Sharp is likely to leave, so will need replacing.

My ideal striker situation next season is:

Mousset
New signing
McBurnie
McGoldrick
Sharp/New signing

So possibly just one, as you say. But unfortunately I think Sharp is likely to leave, so will need replacing.
Imagine throwing a Berge-esque signing into that list, be exciting.

Aye. ChampagneBlade mentioned Odsonne Edouard. That would certainly do.

If we're to make one signing to strengthen the first 11 then up front is definitely where it should be.
Edouard would be incredible, not fussed about Morelos he's just too much of a nutcase

I would like an Italian style number 10 along the lines of de Baggio, del Pierro and totti.

Someone who will get goals, bang one in for 20 when needed and create goals. Basically an upgrade of mcGoldrick which might have saved me some time thinking whether it’s di or de baggio. It’s been a while

Lots of suggestions here that just won’t happen. We only spend big on players with a capacity to really accrue value. Our niche in the market has to be offering players like Berge a chance, and an environment, they won’t get at an established big club. And we may sell them on in a couple of years for profit.

We will sign the occasional experienced head like Jags, but only short term and with impeccable character.

Like another poster pointed out above, buying players in the Shaqiri mould is a recipe for relegation.

Top 4 and anything is possible.

I would like an Italian style number 10 along the lines of de Baggio, del Pierro and totti.

Someone who will get goals, bang one in for 20 when needed and create goals. Basically an upgrade of mcGoldrick which might have saved me some time thinking whether it’s di or de baggio. It’s been a while

Who's going to break the news to sheffielder that it's just Baggio....

Back
Top Bottom