Sky, BBC etc. pundits.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Newbld

Reaction score
First posting, but I have followed the board for years. Is it just me or do others find it irritating when media pundits and journalists refer to Newton Heath f.c. as “United” ? I find this insulting to Newcastle, West Ham (!?) Rotherham Oxford etc etc. Most of, though, to the original United, SUFC. Thinking about it, Norwich have the same issue with Citeh.

Is it just me or do others find it irritating when media pundits and journalists refer to Newton Heath f.c. as “United” ?

I've never heard that and I'm 110% certain there's never been a thread about it before.

Ever!

BTW, yes it does bloody annoy me.

First posting, but I have followed the board for years. Is it just me or do others find it irritating when media pundits and journalists refer to Newton Heath f.c. as “United” ? I find this insulting to Newcastle, West Ham (!?) Rotherham Oxford etc etc. Most of, though, to the original United, SUFC. Thinking about it, Norwich have the same issue with Citeh.

It’s a disgrace - no doubt they will refer to Man Red as ‘united’ even when they are playing against another United team.

Yes you are a man who likes his history, so I guess you'd prefer the original Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Football Club?
No, Manchester United. Because that’s their name and has been for as long as anyone on this board can remember. I’m not going to whinge about people calling us ‘Sheffield’ and then call other clubs stupid irrelevant names as I’d see it as being hypocritical.

Yeah, last time I heard that I was travelling from Yugoslavia to Constantinople, en route to Mesopotamia.

Time travelling?

I believe you were born in the 60s or 70s.

Yugoslavia came into being in 1918 following WWI, Constantinople was already Istanbul by the 1920s, Mesopotamia effectively ceased to exist in the 7th century AD and had become know as Iraq.

Time travelling?

Yugoslavia came into being in 1918 following WWI, Constantinople was already Istanbul by the 1920s, Mesopotamia effectively ceased to exist in the 7th century AD and had become know as Iraq.
Yes, that was the point. No one uses those names anymore so why use ‘Newton Heath’?

I must be one of the few that isn't really bothered about this. For the simple reason that no offence is intended to other clubs.
It's just a natural pecking order, no more, no less.

I think it would be easier all round, when uniteds play each other, or cities play each other, that the use of their respective nicknames be used. e.g. Blades v Reds. this will not cause offence, and commentaries would be much more concise.

Time travelling?

I could be wrong, but I thought Iraq was made up by the British after WWI when they were making up countries, lumping together loads of different cultures and races.

Cant wait for when we do and the commentators get tied up in knots er United on top i mean Sheffield👍

Time travelling?

My maternal grandfather served the British Army in Mesopotamia after WW1 and it was called Mesopotamia then

Now our chairmen have stopped fighting, can we have a sign celebrating we are the world's 1st United football club?

Now our chairmen have stopped fighting, can we have a sign celebrating we are the world's 1st United football club?
No, because we’re not. We’re the world’s first sports club to use the name ‘United’ but not the first football club. That was Hannover United, based on the sports ground near Dukes Meadows in Chiswick and now called ‘Polytechnic’. So we’re the oldest club still called United.

No, because we’re not. We’re the world’s first sports club to use the name ‘United’ but not the first football club. That was Hannover United, based on the sports ground near Dukes Meadows in Chiswick and now called ‘Polytechnic’. So we’re the oldest club still called United.
Next thing you'll be saying is the chairmen haven't stopped either..

You've followed the board for years but think it might just be you? Did you only read the threads that were titled "Boobs on page 21"?

Reactions: HVR
I could be wrong, but I thought Iraq was made up by the British after WWI when they were making up countries, lumping together loads of different cultures and races.

You may well be correct. Iraq as a name has been around since the 7th century AD but it would seem not directly linked to distinct physical boundaries until after WWI.

The country today known as Iraq was a region of the Ottoman Empire until the partition of the Ottoman Empire in the 20th century. It was made up of three provinces, called vilayets in the Ottoman language: Mosul Vilayet, Baghdad Vilayet, and Basra Vilayet. In April 1920 the British Mandate of Mesopotamia was created under the authority of the League of Nations. A British-backed monarchy joining these vilayets into one Kingdom was established in 1921 under Faisal I of Iraq.

We’ve only have ourselves to blame for being out of the limelight too long. It’s not really Man Utd’s fault either. When we call our clubs “United” it is meant as an endearing term, so the impartial pundits and journalists shouldn’t really be calling any team “United.” But MU have been media darlings for years and nobody has really challenged the TV and radio types up until now. I have noticed on talkSPORT since our promotion, many presenters have quickly corrected themselves when they’ve referred to the Mancs as United.
But unfortunately with the rise of Man City the media do like to use the City/United reference for Manchester in a similar way to Celtic/Rangers for Glasgow.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but how can a club be the first sport club to use United but not the first football club?

Back
Top Bottom