Roy's View From... Pre-Match View From Southampton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

“No colours in the streets no trouble”

It’s sheffield not Kabul. What a twat!
In the 70s we couldnt tell that it was a Southampton shirt it didn't have sponsors or a badge on it,at school I had a Sheffield United/ Southampton/stoke/ Sunderland shirt

... is this what happens when you stay in the top league for more than 3 seasons?

If we stay in the top division for more than one season, it is obvious that anyone doing a Roysweep of the message board will be able to find someone sounding like we deserve to be there...and of course, they are probably right. If we are in the top league it is probably because we deserve to be there (or are West Ham :)).

Southampton have been in the Premiership for 21 out of 28 seasons. Our own 'entitlement' is on a level with Bournemouth (in that we are there now and it'sour 4th out of 28 seasons.

All of which is irrelevant. If we win tomorrow, we move a step forward to being entitled to be there next year. It's the future entitlement that is important.

If I remember correctly they were surrounded and then surrounded by the police very quickly. There were some big lads with them.
I recall an Anglo Scottish cup tie around 1980 when half a dozen St Mirren fans came on the kop. One of them was fucking huge wearing a kilt and had a leather studded belt wrapped around his knuckles. I was still a young ish kid but clearly remember being surprised that no one confronted him. That said there were only about 300 of us on the kop. Sparsely attended were those matches!

Amazing. Today I learnt that last minute goals are worth less than other goals

Where have you been? I've heard there's an inquiry as to whether Norwich will be allowed to stay in the Premiership as too many of their goals from last season were last minute.

Err me apparently
Me too, and I was on the Kop that day. I remember a few unpleasant invasions, but no memory of any involving Southampton. Just remember an encouragingly convincing win. Still, if they want to try it again, I'll have my packet of Werthers open, ready to chuck at them; should do the job....

you don't attack people with 'colours' those are the rules.. this isn't South Central Los Angeles ffs
'Sharp is bound to score'.. again. but i can't disagree this time

Fucking hell I can't believe an incident in 1991 is being used as a warning for their fans tomorrow 😆

Just a heads up for anyone going to Josie's tomorrow night. Make sure you have a defined crease in your trousers. I'll be in Occasions if you fancy a change.

Amazing. Today I learnt that last minute goals are worth less than other goals
Weird also as they've also scored the same amount of league goals as us, not in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Weird also as they've also scored the same amount of league goals as us, not in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I have been watching football for a long time and never realised that it was important when you scored a goal. Our last minute goals are obviously worth less in the Prem.

You live and learn!

Fucking hell I can't believe an incident in 1991 is being used as a warning for their fans tomorrow 😆

Just a heads up for anyone going to Josie's tomorrow night. Make sure you have a defined crease in your trousers. I'll be in Occasions if you fancy a change.
Who’s DJing at Occasions? Is it Winston?

“Sheff U are a very limited side from what I’ve seen on MotD. Having momentum from last season is fine but will only carry them so far”

Ah 2017/18 season comment, long time no see, how have you been? Been on holiday at all? How’s the kids?

“But they are a limited side in terms of quality.”

And you have brought you’re old friend with you..
The problem is these days more than ever, many fans seem to go on what people like Crookes say rather than their own eyes, they seem to want everything to be packed up an packaged for them rather than making up their own minds. You then get the bizarre scenario where some opposition fans will have listened to the likes of Roysenior and Colin Murray drooling over us and in turn will think we play great innovative football but those catching goons like Crookes and Mills with think we’re Cardiff Mk 2.

There is a bit of a theme occurring this season and of course we've seen it before either from fans, journos or pundits and its this patronising statement (or similar):

"They will see this game as winnable to help their survival scrap"

On the face of it, i kind of get the point, taking points off Southampton, in theory should be more likely than against Chelsea.

However, it underestimates our team. We don't ever play to come away with a close 1-0 defeat, we don't even play for a draw, at least not from the start. As Wilder constantly reiterates, we go for the win first and then the result (being a draw) if we can't get the win.

Against Man City, Liverpool and perhaps Spurs, we may see ourselves setting up slightly more defensively. We certainly didn't set out to get a draw against Chelsea. There was no Scottish 4-6-0 formation. We didn't even go 4-5-1.

Every game we play we set out to win. Leeds away last season, we had a game plan to try and nick something and got it. It wasn't a defensive display, it was a well fought victory.

This United side, unlike any in my 42 year memory, is capable of getting a win in every game we play, we don't hide and we play the football that gives us a chance.

So seeing some games as winnable is a bit daft. The way we've approached all games - Palace and Zaha for example, Chelsea down our left, bringing Mousse T on alongside Robbo and McG in behind to stretch Chelsea, its down to doing our homework. The tireless work of the coaching and sports science team isn't gambling, its trying to find ways to unlock teams.

I could be proved wrong, but i am sure that we will see v Man City in the post match analysis some evidence of attempts to unlock them, even if we don't get a result, we'll have a plan and have a go at them.

Under Bassett and perhaps to a lesser extent, having a go at the big teams, like Man U was more about getting aggressive and hoping it came off - Thats why we often played the likes of Hartfield and Kamara in the midfield and tried to kick lumps out of certain players. Its not that we didn't have any style, even if we were direct. But i think now we have the planning down to a tee.

All games are winnable and we try to win every game. Survival scraps will only come into play after 20 games or so...

Back
Top Bottom