Why do all these Scottish journalists seem to hate Mcburnie?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You are entitled to your opinion. As am I.

I wasn’t 😉👀👀👀.

Judging EVERY single minute that Clarke wore the shirt, he was 60% rubbish, 20% below average and 20% OK/ Decent / Good.

IMHO.

UTB
Love how saying something negative and then saying, 'I hope I am proved wrong', seems a good way to cover one's arse. :rolleyes:

It's a fact that 72% of people who quote statistics actually pull them out of thin air. ;)

Love how saying something negative and then saying, 'I hope I am proved wrong', seems a good way to cover one's arse. :rolleyes:

It's a fact that 72% of people who quote statistics actually pull them out of thin air. ;)
It’s also a fact that 100% of arsey argumentative types that proliferate this forum attempt to spin an opinion (and which is clearly stated as such), and misrepresent it by suggesting it is stated as a statistical “fact”.

Or are you unsure of what “imho” means ?

You are not alone !!!

UTB

Because the Scottish Prem can't afford those fees.

Rangers fans were hoping he'd go there and are using the fee to justify Morelos being worth double

Exactly this. Celtic and Rangers have been priced out of the Premier League market. Now with the latest Sky deal and the money clubs are getting they can’t afford the best championship players either.

I've noticed the anti-Rangers bias too and this goes up to the SFA- it's been speculated that one of the reasons Fleck was ignored by the selectors for so long was that he was a Rangers fan.
Fleck was ignored for a lot more than being a Rangers fan.

Being swiftly moved to Coventry and out the Glasgow area for off the field issues is far nearer the mark.

Because the Scottish national team are complete shite and McBurnie is shite for them as is everyone else. Also, he's not even Scottish.

They're a joke, Fleck can't even get into the side ffs.

Absolute rubbish how can the Scottish national side be complete Shite ?

They have Galactios Bannan, Fletcher and Palmer playing for them.

Because he qualified for Scotland under the granny rule.

Sweaties want to see more Scottish-born players in the squad but the quality of Scottish-born players (Fleck excluded) is dire!

That's harsh and I'm not Scottish! Robertson, Kieran Tierney and John McGinn are very good players. I think you're right that they want a team full of Scottish born players but McBurnie looks Scottish, sounds Scottish and is clearly very passionate about Scotland and considers himself Scottish. Then you've got Jordan Rhodes who is English but went to Scotland for a few years in their education system and that makes him qualify! Now that I can understand would irk the Scottish fans.

Are you sure..I could have sworn I read somewhere it was 73%.....

🤔

Must be grim being a Scottish football fan.

You are entitled to your opinion. As am I.

I wasn’t 😉👀👀👀.

Judging EVERY single minute that Clarke wore the shirt, he was 60% rubbish, 20% below average and 20% OK/ Decent / Good.

IMHO.

UTB
Agreed you are entitled to your opinion. I’d say the vast majority on here would say you were wrong. The fact you had made your mind up before he had joined doesn’t help your case. He was bought to help get us out of league one. He scored vital goals. He then went and top scored for us in our first season back. In fact nobody in the championship scored more goals from open play that season. So IMHO, you were wrong.
Back on topic. If McBurnie isn’t for you then which realistic striker with similar attributes would you have gone for? That’s not a dig but a genuine question

Best thing to come out of Scotland was Buckfast. And that didn’t even come from Scotland.

I’m only kidding. Wet Wet Wet were alright.

They want to convince themselves the likes of Celtic and Rangers are the same quality as English Premier League teams.. they aren’t.

Celtic would be a top six Championship team.

Rangers a mid table a Championship team.

A couple of the others would be battling relegation to League one.. the rest are League one or two standard.

Agreed you are entitled to your opinion. I’d say the vast majority on here would say you were wrong. The fact you had made your mind up before he had joined doesn’t help your case. He was bought to help get us out of league one. He scored vital goals. He then went and top scored for us in our first season back. In fact nobody in the championship scored more goals from open play that season. So IMHO, you were wrong.
Back on topic. If McBurnie isn’t for you then which realistic striker with similar attributes would you have gone for? That’s not a dig but a genuine question
So many mentions of how you are able to read my own mind here. It’s difficult to know where to start.

I was sceptical of his signing initially, my eyeballs confirmed my initial reservations to be so very quickly. Clarke was garbage in his first few games. Apparently injured. He ended the season with a flourish with 6 in his last 7. 7 goals total.

Then, the purple patch.

Poor start.

THAT brace 😀.

4 goals in 1 game. Garbage again for the 2nd half of the season after signing (perhaps even earning) an improved contract.

I just see through it mate, and more able to objectively judge seeing the WHOLE picture, not a selective purple patch. Albeit a memorable one !

And as I have said x many, the cult status awarded due to a solitary performance (not taking this away, it’s a fact), clouds the judgement of many an otherwise informed observer.

I’ll stand by my 60/20/20 assertion.

UTB

They want to convince themselves the likes of Celtic and Rangers are the same quality as English Premier League teams.. they aren’t.

Celtic would be a top six Championship team.

Rangers a mid table a Championship team.

A couple of the others would be battling relegation to League one.. the rest are League one or two standard.
Maybe the team's they have now would but put the club's in the premier League and within a year they would be too 6 easily

Why ?

Why indeed ?

Have a funny feeling about this one. Has all the hallmarks of here we go again discussing the footballing merits of someone who, bluntly, ain’t that good at football. An improved version of the universally popular James Hanson and Leon Clarke.

Just exactly how much improved, remains to be seen.

Jury’s out on this one I’m afraid.

For the fee we have paid, i desperately hope I’m wrong !

UTB
Hanson and Clarke arnt similar players. If McBurnie is a premier league equivalent of what Clarke was for us first season back in the championship then he’s a bargain.

Maybe the team's they have now would but put the club's in the premier League and within a year they would be too 6 easily

That’s reality though.

Celtic and Rangers playing in the EPL is fantasy.. it’s never going to happen.

So many mentions of how you are able to read my own mind here. It’s difficult to know where to start.

I was sceptical of his signing initially, my eyeballs confirmed my initial reservations to be so very quickly. Clarke was garbage in his first few games. Apparently injured. He ended the season with a flourish with 6 in his last 7. 7 goals total.

Then, the purple patch.

Poor start.

THAT brace 😀.

4 goals in 1 game.

Then ...

Garbage again for the 2nd half of the season after signing (perhaps even earning) an improved contract.

I just see through it mate, and am more able to objectively judge seeing the WHOLE picture, not a selective purple patch. Albeit a memorable one !

And as I have said x many, the cult status awarded due to a solitary performance (not taking this away, it’s a fact), clouds the judgement of many an otherwise informed observer.

As for alternatives, I touted Cal Robinson as he was PnEs stand out player.

Others I would have considered would have been :-

Maupay 😠.
Vydra.
Che Adams.
Steve Fletcher

Punts
Andy Carroll.
Welbs
Sturridge.

UTB

Comparing the current standard of players and teams is different to wishing they could take a cutting off the magic money tree.
Yeah I suppose it is
Who did that ?
I was just pointing out that they are giants of clubs
Surely you didn't misunderstand that ?

I know he's now the most expensive Scottish player in history, but it feels like the journalists north of the border are absolutely determined he's rubbish and definitely going to fail! You'd of thought they might be happy to have more players good enough to play in the prem.

The first two articles came out on this in the Scottish rag - The Daily Record and one was anti Bernie and the other was pro. Published two minutes apart.

It’s two budding journo’s who got together over a few pints of Scottish heavy and said,

“What the f*ck we going to write about tomorrow mate? I know, let’s do a piece on McBurnie. You say he’s crap and I’ll say he’s good”.

That’s how I saw it anyhow.

I think they should be pleased that a “Scottish” player is giving them something to fill a few columns with tbh.

There’s not a lot else to report on with the football scene up there, where most of the clubs would struggle in the third tier of English football.

Scottish journos hate football South of the border because of the economic disparity, and the huge shadow its global popularity casts over the Scottish game. It's borderline nationalistic. They also seem to fall into the trap of judging players by the standards they produce for their consistently dysfunctional national team.They have a lot of good players that are eligible for Scotland at the moment, yet they consistently seem to fail when it comes to selections and putting them into a functional team: they're making good players look shit. As for Mcburnie; he's cost us the current price for a young, Championship striker with a track record of goal scoring over two seasons. Nothing more; nothing less. The obvious corollary would be Maupay -a striker that is valued at a simiar level - untl you realise he's had a couple of serious injury problems that will have impacted on his value. In that light, it could be argued that United have actually undercut the market which seems crazy. If we've overpaid it can only be in relation to players in foreign leagues. Who are the Championship alternatives with a similar track record, going for less (Robinson is a moot point as we've already signed him ;) )? Mcburnie seems to have good attributes when I've seen him, but also to have a lot of development left in him . Next season might be too soon for him to make the leap, but it seems to me we've added a good long term asset when alternatives seemed thin on the ground.

Last edited:

Then, the purple patch.

Poor start.

THAT brace 😀.

4 goals in 1 game.

Then ...

Garbage again for the 2nd half of the season after signing (perhaps even earning) an improved contract.

I just see through it mate, and am more able to objectively judge seeing the WHOLE picture, not a selective purple patch. Albeit a memorable one !

As for alternatives, I touted Cal Robinson as he was PnEs stand out player.

Others I would have considered would have been :-

Maupay 😠.
Vydra.
Che Adams.
Steve Fletcher

Punts
Andy Carroll.
Welbs
Sturridge.

UTB
I was all for Maupay and Robinson, They like Vydra aren’t in the same mould as McBurnie. He offers something different to the above who are more likely to play along side him. Fletcher? My season ticket Pig relation says he was in decent form in the second half of last season but he is hardly prolific in the championship and they say he’s way off premier league standard. I trust there judgement. As for the punts. Admirable but none would fancy us and all would be too expensive. Therefore surely unrealistic?

Probably because hes a plastic jock.

Would be funny if hes just massively trolling the sweatys...............

Puts on Glasgow accent***

And Oli has scored his hatrick to send Scotland into tae werrrld cup!!!

Whats this?

hes running over to the Scottish faithful!!!

It looks like hes going to lift up his shirt!!!

AND HE DOES!!

Goooo Oliiiiiii!!

OhHHH Whats gooin on here?!!?!?!

Hes got an Anglund shert on underneeeth!!

WHat In The Bladezzzes?!

Get TAE FUCK OLI YAR BASTARD YE!!!??

That's harsh and I'm not Scottish! Robertson, Kieran Tierney and John McGinn are very good players. I think you're right that they want a team full of Scottish born players but McBurnie looks Scottish, sounds Scottish and is clearly very passionate about Scotland and considers himself Scottish. Then you've got Jordan Rhodes who is English but went to Scotland for a few years in their education system and that makes him qualify! Now that I can understand would irk the Scottish fans.

He sounds Scottish? Does he? You mean his name sounds Scottish? He definitely doesn’t. He sounds like he’s from Pudsey.

Then, the purple patch.

Poor start.

THAT brace 😀.

4 goals in 1 game. Garbage again for the 2nd half of the season after signing (perhaps even earning) an improved contract.

I just see through it mate, and more able to objectively judge seeing the WHOLE picture, not a selective purple patch. Albeit a memorable one !

UTB

I just wish we could all be as clear-minded and clinical about what we see on the pitch - it's a bit of a pain if I'm honest to sporadically have to delete my own thoughts and views in line with what are the actual facts.
Thanks for getting me back on track, and doing so in a manner that doesn't at all sound arrogant, in any way 👏

I just wish we could all be as clear-minded and clinical about what we see on the pitch - it's a bit of a pain if I'm honest to sporadically have to delete my own thoughts and views in line with what are the actual facts.
Thanks for getting me back on track, and doing so in a manner that doesn't at all sound arrogant, in any way 👏
You are welcome.

But try not to confuse confidence with arrogance. It’s a thin line, I accept. Beyond some folks 👍.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom