CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We've got 3 potentials for that position, should we even play that formation , how big a squad do you think we can afford ffs

View attachment 58023

One that’s likely to start and is expected to offer a similar role (Freeman), one that’s not the same type of player and likely to be used as an extra 10 behind one striker rather than the usual sole role (Robinson), and one that’s yet to play a minute of football this summer and is as likely to play elsewhere in the midfield (Morrison).

As for “how big a squad can we afford ffs”, probably a 23 or 24 man squad, based on the fact that’s what Wilder has indicated. Who are you proposing makes up those numbers?

I probably didn’t make myself clear. I’m a huge fan of Duffy. He has magic in his boots. I’m not campaigning for us to get rid of him at all.

As you know from a previous conversation Loughborough I see him as a squad player, making a contribution but not being a regular starter. If that’s not acceptable to him and he wants to go elsewhere he would go with my gratitude and some indelible memories. We’ve had the best of him as a footballer, no doubt.

I draw the line at sentiment though. No player ‘deserves’ to play a single further minute for our club unless Tufty thinks he’s the right starter or right substitute for any given game. Anyone who thinks otherwise really isn’t taking the Premier League seriously.

We’re on the same page on that, complete agreement.

As a city fan and an admirer of Sufc style of play and ethics of the club.i didn't see any part of that game against Barnet but I have seen kean play a lot from the age of 14years old. He originally played in midfield and was playing in the under 21s at the age of 16 Patrick Vieira played him at centre half dew to injuries in the squad and it's kind of stuck. The view that the city academy was if city hadn't come into money he would have played in the first team . I also seen him play a few games for Oldham and he was the best player on the park and before you say it was league 1 and a poor team at that I work with an Oldham fan and he reckons the fans at boundary park would tell you that if he hadn't of got injured with 8 games remaining in that season the majority of the fans all said they would have stayed up. I can't say for sure that you've got a premier league player but give the lad a chance and he will be some player for you that I am sure of

His Mrs isn't shabby either

One that’s likely to start and is expected to offer a similar role (Freeman), one that’s not the same type of player and likely to be used as an extra 10 behind one striker rather than the usual sole role (Robinson), and one that’s yet to play a minute of football this summer and is as likely to play elsewhere in the midfield (Morrison).

As for “how big a squad can we afford ffs”, probably a 23 or 24 man squad, based on the fact that’s what Wilder has indicated. Who are you proposing makes up those numbers?
That's the three ...in various guises ....and as I said we will be playing differing formations ....we have more pressing priorities than replacing Duffy ...simple really

As a city fan and an admirer of Sufc style of play and ethics of the club.i didn't see any part of that game against Barnet but I have seen kean play a lot from the age of 14years old. He originally played in midfield and was playing in the under 21s at the age of 16 Patrick Vieira played him at centre half dew to injuries in the squad and it's kind of stuck. The view that the city academy was if city hadn't come into money he would have played in the first team . I also seen him play a few games for Oldham and he was the best player on the park and before you say it was league 1 and a poor team at that I work with an Oldham fan and he reckons the fans at boundary park would tell you that if he hadn't of got injured with 8 games remaining in that season the majority of the fans all said they would have stayed up. I can't say for sure that you've got a premier league player but give the lad a chance and he will be some player for you that I am sure of

That glowing report for Bryan makes sense.
Most Blades don’t rate him, but that’s based on the very little we’ve seen of him in action.
The significant part though is that Chris Wilder clearly DOES rate him....so that’s good enough for me.

Scored the odd great goal, didn't penetrate many teams with one killer ball though, thats what we need at this level. Great ability on the ball, could float around and his close control was one of the best I've ever seen. Will be missed but I understand from all parties.

I've only seen Bryan once. He was shocking in an admittedly all round abject performance against Barnet.
Is he worth keeping?
Interested in the views of others who've seen more of him at the levels he's represented us at.
I didn’t recognise him physically at Northampton on Saturday. He looks like a man and has filled out considerably. Get the impression that he’s seen as versatile squad player next season and if not he’ll go on loan in January.

Thing is, you can only name a 25 man squad in the PL so with Wilder saying 4 or 5 more (before Mousset) and what we currently have that is:

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset
Which leaves 2 spaces for Duffy, Clarke, Wright etc..
This is a very important point especially now lower leagues cannot loan players mid season. If any player is not in the 25 squad at the end of August they will not be playing 1st team football for anyone until January

When some players have left in the past I've been very angry (Deane & Fjortoft sale UNBELIEVABLE) or disappointed (Maguire sale though expected) but IF Duffy really is being allowed to leave I think it'll just feel different . . . . . sad . . . . . Just sad really - very similar to the Coutts departure where you wish they'd stay but kind of understand that they probably need to go (even though you don't actually agree with it) . . . . . 😢

Duffy at his age will want another 2 year deal. He ain’t getting it here and I will be sad to see him go. I hope he goes to a team I don’t hate and I will go and watch him again next season. Will miss him 😍

It’s a shame and sad for Duffy not to get a chance in the Premier League, I do feel for him. But I can’t be disappointed, we’re signing better players in his position and making the team stronger.

It makes a change from the days when we’ve sold our best players with generally a worse player being signed.

It’s a shame and sad for Duffy not to get a chance in the Premier League, I do feel for him. But I can’t be disappointed, we’re signing better players in his position and making the team stronger.

It makes a change from the days when we’ve sold our best players with generally a worse player being signed.

We don't have any evidence - yet - that we're signing better players for his position.

Duffy’s 34 in October. It makes sense not to give him a new deal - Yet. I dont think he’ll leave & think this has all been blown up out of proportion. I think he has a part to play but we cant be handing 2 year contracts out to 34 year olds.

CW has been trying to replace Duffy since the first transfer window after he was signed ... Carruthers, Holmes, Dowell, that kid from Liverpool, all failed to displace Duffy. Wilder generally drops him at the start of the season, realises no one can play the Duffy role quite like Duffy, brings him back in and the team starts ticking again.

If I was Duffy I'd stick around.

Thanks for taking the time to contribute. Much appreciated.

remember when............. none of our players would get in their team.... :D

People say we've moved on,maybe we have we'll see, but it's just a pity Duffy isn't 27/28 because I think he'd have stepped up no problem.
I'd love to see him stay and get a few cameos off the bench but I can understand he might want to play at his age .

Hope he can get a good payoff and a two year deal in the championship. Good luck to him.

So after Richard Cadette latest posts.this leaves the 25 man squad as follows...

1 Sawyers
2 Osborn
3 McBurnie
4 Baldock
5 Stevens
6 Fleck
7 O'Connell
8 Basham
9 Lundstram
10 Sharp
11 Egan
12 Norwood
13 McGoldrick
14 Freeman K.
15 Stearman
16 Bryan
17 Moore
18 Jagielka
19 Freeman L.
20 Morrison
21 Robinson
22 Mousset
23 New GK
24 New GK

That leaves Duffy and Clarke fighting for 1 spot

remember when............. none of our players would get in their team.... :D

There was a post on there not so long back that said something along the lines of - "it shows how tinpot they are when they have Mark Duffy down as a legend when we have people like David Hurst and Chris Waddle"

I've had time to reflect since yesterday. I was of the mind, probably emotionally, that he should be given another year. I now would agree with those who think the club, well, Chris was in the right.

Duffs - don't be daft. Stick around and fight for your place like you have for 2 and a half seasons. You're 34 and expecting a 2 year deal at your age is a big commitment from any club, you'll have to take a big wage cut for that sort of security in the Championship so you're better off toughing it out here. Earn your place in the squad, show you can still do it and then you'll get another year on Premier League wages.

I'd take bannan over fleck, thornley over baldock and Joost over Egan every day of the week.

Do you have loads of Wendy mates, only you seem to have caught Porkius Deludamax?

The outbreaks of this tragically severe handicapping disease are always at the worst in the summer, just prior to the start of the season. If you find yourself saying 'Wednesday will piss the league this year', you really ought to seek help.

Back
Top Bottom