CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Guess what, life goes on he gave us great memories but if this is his time so be it. GLTTL UTB

Freeman Luke has been written off, on the strength of 3 appearances in 3 friendlies.

Fair question about Duffy, Fred. There's been quite a lot of noise this morning regarding Duffy's value at this point of his career, and of course, the past is no determining factor about the future. Not sure, is he 33-34? But then that's about the same as Milner at Liverpool. So yes, Wilder will have already been alerted to replacing Duffy. Change, especially when it's a much loved player, as Duffy is, can be an awkward affair, it shouldn't be but since when did that stop sentiment getting in the way of anyone's judgement?

Given that MD has a year left on his contract, I'd keep a close eye on the player(s) who might replace Duffy. We always talked of needing competition for positions, well now we have it. I'll always have fond memories of Duffy, just as I will Coutts, a player who in my view would have coped admirably with the demands of the Premier Division. The loss of Coutts was probably the most significant thing that we've had to adjust to, and we were fortunate to have signed Norwood at such a reasonable figure. Two different types of player, but both capable of controlling the ebb and flow of a game. Personally, Coutts at his best was a more formidable player, but fine margins where both are concerned.

Forgive me, I'm drifting. it won't be long and we'll be able to see how the team as a whole compares at this level. For what it's worth, I don't think we'll be a walk-over but there will be games where we're outclassed. As long as we learn from these defeats and we're able to improve on the weaknesses Wilder can see, then all's well. Now's the time for us, with or without Duffy, to get real and show that we're good enough to remain at this level. Personally, I'm delighted we have this opportunity to show what the Blades are about. UTMB!

I'm not really surprised by this; I actually questioned the length of his contract when he was given it as it seemed overlong (similar to Leon's). Of course, both players have been worth the money. No argument there. It seems strange to me that people claim that he doesn't have a physical game/position. In our system, he's the pivot in the high press - the leader of the high press. His position - when played correctly- is more physically demanding than any other outfield player bar the wing backs. I noticed a drop off in output in 17/18 and again in 18/19. Coming off more frequently, his influence gradually diminishing in two and three game weeks. Duff is such a brilliant player that he can cover it up, adapt his game and still thrive. He could play the ten role in a lot of sides and not have the same physical demands. He still has a lot to offer in the right system and should be on the wanted list of a lot of Championship sides.
It also fits in with a theory of mine that we may be moving away from consistently playing 3-4-1-2 to more of a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3. I see Robinson and Moose as the wide options in a more counter attacking style.If I was Duffy, I'd be looking at a long contract elsewhere as it's unlikely he's made as much from the game as his talent deserves.

I'm not really surprised by this; I actually questioned the length of his contract when he was given it as it seemed overlong (similar to Leon's). Of course, both players have been worth the money. No argument there. It seems strange to me that people claim that he doesn't have a physical game/position. In our system, he's the pivot in the high press - the leader of the high press. His position - when played correctly- is more physically demanding than any other outfield player bar the wing backs. I noticed a drop off in output in 17/18 and again in 18/19. Coming off more frequently, his influence gradually diminishing in two and three game weeks. Duff is such a brilliant player that he can cover it up, adapt his game and still thrive. He could play the ten role in a lot of sides and not have the same physical demands. He still has a lot to offer in the right system and should be on the wanted list of a lot of Championship sides.
It also fits in with a theory of mine that we may be moving away from consistently playing 3-4-1-2 to more of a 4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3. I see Robinson and Moose as the wide options in a more counter attacking style.If I was Duffy, I'd be looking at a long contract elsewhere as it's unlikely he's made as much from the game as his talent deserves.
Can’t see us changing from 5 at the back any time soon

Every player reaches their end point and it seems Duffy has with us.
I totally get that and sentiment is the worst thing to make decisions on when that decision costs countless millions.
If he leaves now thanks for a he'll of a lot Duff. You have been a joy to watch.
It won't be long before not being considered will apply to Billy. Wilder will make the tough calls as and when he sees fit.

3-4-3 switching to 5-4-1 without the ball. 4 pacy players at wing back and in front. We won’t be allowed to control the ball as we have been, and so we have to counter at pace.

We wouldn't have too if the two fast lads were played as inside forwards. I think that's what Wilder may mean by "two tens". It would practically eliminate the Duffy position if we did that though.

That is possibly the stupidest and most incorrect thing I've ever read on here.

Agree, although he’s just focusing on his weaknesses.
Duffy was one of our poorest players at tackling, it’s not his thing

And he did probably give the ball away more than anyone else but that is because he often tried the most difficult “threaded through the eye of the needle” passes.
He’s been my favourite player for several seasons, love watching his close control, the vision with his short passes and the way he glides past players. Top quality player.

Who have we got who is better,in the system that we play,than Duffy?
All our best displays have been with Duffy in the team.

Very true, would expect he’s bought Freeman or possibly Morrison for that Freeman role
And we know that McGoldrick was surprisingly good/ creative link man when dropping deep, almost into midfield.

Duffy has a contract and has every right to fight for his place, however if he has any sense he will be looking to get paid up the majority of his contract with us and try to secure a 2 year deal with a Championship club. At his age he needs to look to maximise his earnings from football for the sake of his family.

He would be incredibly naive if he thinks he's going to be playing regularly, even from the bench after we have signed Freeman for £5.5m and Robinson for £8m.

No chance we’d get a fee for him! He’s 34 in a few months with only a year left on his contract and clearly surplus to requirements, we’re hardly in a strong negotiating position.

Love Duffy but I can totally see why we're not offering him a new contract. I can then easily see how with a few conversations that spirals into "well, you can leave if you like".

All that said, I can't see us forcing him out. And I can't imagine Duffy passing up Premier League football. I'd be very, very surprised if he wasn't with us by the end of this transfer window.
Just how I see it.

We're saying because we won't be offering a new contract he only has a guarantee of 12 months money coming in, so if he wants to look for a bit more security for his future we won't stand in his way.

I think that's pretty fair to him actually, he knows where he stands and the choice is his.

For Duffy , Ched and Leon - if they hang around for 12months they might get a chance in the league - VAR risks a lot of suspensions. Then wherever their next move will be its as a Premier League player - making them far more attractive to the China, Arabic and USA leagues. Also it adds to the camaraderie of the current team to see the club look after the players that inevitably have replaced.

Thing is, you can only name a 25 man squad in the PL so with Wilder saying 4 or 5 more (before Mousset) and what we currently have that is:

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset
Which leaves 2 spaces for Duffy, Clarke, Wright etc..

Thing is, you can only name a 25 man squad in the PL so with Wilder saying 4 or 5 more (before Mousset) and what we currently have that is:

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset

I've only seen Bryan once. He was shocking in an admittedly all round abject performance against Barnet.
Is he worth keeping?
Interested in the views of others who've seen more of him at the levels he's represented us at.

The one area where Wilder has consistently failed is replacing Duffy. Dumping him without finding out if his replacements are up to the job would be complete madness and put unnecessary pressure on the newbies. Not giving him a longer contract at the moment is fair enough.
Very true, would expect he’s bought Freeman or possibly Morrison for that Freeman role
And we know that McGoldrick was surprisingly good/ creative link man when dropping deep, almost into midfield.
Agree with both the above; let's see if Morrison settles and signs up for longer and Freeman copes with the PL because neither of these is a given and you know what? Let's see how Duffy handles the PL too before writing him off because if he's competent he's still worth having irrespective of younger players playing the same role.

Would've given him until Jan for the Pigsboro goal alone but no sentiment in football especially at the top level. Just didn't look fit enough.

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset
Fair comment , I actually didn't know that !! Still like to give Duffy half a season , and if he doesn't cut it let him go in Jan .
We must be signing a few more then ?

When I hear people say, Duffy was below par last year, or he gave the ball away too much, I don't know what to say. I maybe wrong but I think he had the best stat for final third passes
, of any player in the division and was statistically the second most productive AMC for the past 2 seasons running. I don't think it is sentiment to say he deserves his chance in the prem, the affection for him is based on the respect for his actual performances. It's the case, whilst obviously better long term prospects, Freeman, Robinson, Morrison all have to prove themselves at this level as well and within our culture and style of play. Of course, I trust Wilder to be a better judge than me...but in the world of fan conjecture, I think it would be draft to let him go.

1. Signing 1
  2. Signing 2
  3. Signing 3
  4. Signing 4
  5. Baldock
  6. Stevens
  7. Fleck
  8. O'Connell
  9. Basham
  10. Lundstram
  11. Sharp
  12. Egan
  13. Norwood
  14. McGoldrick
  15. Freeman K.
  16. Stearman
  17. Bryan
  18. Moore
  19. Jagielka
  20. Freeman L.
  21. Morrison
  22. Robinson
  23. Mousset

Do we actually think Bryan will get a squad place? I know he's been about in pre-season, and I know he was injured last season but it seemed as though Wilder didn't really trust him to be able to do a job

Back
Top Bottom