Bristol City 1 United 0 - thoughts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Not a full report as only watched on a stream but quick summary.

Overall a really disappointing defeat. Not an awful performance but a game we had control of from minute 10 – 60. They then had the best of the last half hour; after starting the game well. It looked a nailed on 0-0 draw but a cross from the left and a deft flicked header and that was it. It seemed the sort of game that you felt whoever got the first goal would nick it and it was too late for us to respond as we had been off the pace for the final part of the game. We missed Fleck and the changes made us even worse in game. As good as we were against Villa; today was a big come down. As I say we played well for a good period and had control of the game and had most of the ball. We created 3 good chances but McGoldrick missed a header, sliced wide and another shot when he should have done better. We had a few other half chances and Lundstram had a shot similar to the one they had early on that was saved but rather comfortably. We did not make the keeper work all game really – neither did they.

I felt Duffy and Norwood controlled things first half and we moved it nicely but still looked powder puff other than the few McGoldrick chances. We did not move it quick enough like we did v Bolton and Villa. Still we looked comfortable at the back and not sure they really created too much but then the lad went through and blazed wide (was it offside) and then had a few blocked from corners. We did not get hold of the ball and started to sit back. The goal was still really sloppy and someone did not challenge as the header looped in. After this we had a few half chances but I don’t know we just lacked energy and the zest we had. Maybe the break has not helped us but they were no better. It was a bit of a smash and grab for them to win really but then you could say we did it late v Norwich after they missed some clear chances (clearer than ones we missed). Just sort of game where you need to get a 0-0 and get out of there and take it as a point.

It was really disappointing to not build on the good run and now with 4 wins and 3 losses; the start is quite average again and puts pressure on us for the two home games; albeit v sides near the bottom. Today was a game that was winnable even with a key man missing and we needed to go on and build from it. We have to hope Fleck is not out for long but if he was not fit today; not sure a groin would recover for in a few days. I expect Clarke to come in for one of the strikers who did not do enough today. Just a really flat end to a nothing sort of game. Yes, we deserved more but then did we do enough 2nd half to really go and win the game. We kind of sat back, lost the ball, our pressing stopped and we gave them time on the ball. They did not do much really but then will say they were the ones pushing for a winner more than us and looked more likely to win the game as it went on. The most frustrating thing is Bristol looked an inferior side than the one we faced last year and have a weaker side but we let them off the hook. It is the sort of game and result that things we did ok; but ultimately do not put teams down when we are on top. We saw it a lot at the end of last season. It is the sort of game that makes you think we will be around the middle again. Wilder said last season he doubted if the team had the quality to make the top 6 after the Hull defeat and today you kind of wondered if the players really sensed in the game they would go on and make the control of the ball leads to goals and what should have been a comfortable win. The second half was just a non-event as far as I was concerned in terms of our level of intensity on and off the ball.

The drop off from the first eleven quality shows and we finished the game with Johnson and Washington; two players not good enough to start for other Champ sides. Add in Lundstram and the drop off from who would play/would play shows that once any of the first eleven don’t play; we don’t look the same team. Ultimately we didn’t quite have the quality to make the top 6 last year and you see the same again. Norwood, Egan and Henderson seem good signings so far but the rest are all journeyman types that should not be counted on to play meaningful minutes really if we are serious about going for the top 6. That is no offence to the likes of McGoldrick, Washington, Johnson, Cranie etc but we have still not addressed the weakness at the top or added meaningful quality. Not sure those brought in the other week or any better than those not making the bench today or players who left the club (Leonard, Holmes etc).

Henderson 7/10 – No fault on the goal – went in off the far post. Made one good early save. Handling and kicking sound and looked comfortable until the goal.

Freeman 7/10 – Thought he was one of our better players and got forward and was always an outlet. 2nd half they pushed him and Stevens back and he was not the same threat really.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Had a good first half and was on the front foot and attacked well but 2nd half he was poor. He made poor decisions with the ball and got caught out the other way and left too much space.

Egan 7/10 – Solid enough. Seems to be growing more and more as the season goes on. He looked frustrated on the goal as it was a relatively free header and seemed angry with his fellow players.

O’Connell 7/10 – As above – he played well and was able to defend well and limit many attacks at all. The lad up top barely had a kick although got in once.

Basham 7/10 – Defended well and used it when he could but a few times going forward he took too long to make decisions. 2nd half they restricted him and O’Connell getting forward at all and they were defending mostly.

Lundstram 5.5/10 – People say he is a scapegoat. He is not. He is just not very good. He is so slow on the ball and takes an age to do something simple. He slows the play down and sadly offers no defensive protection giving away stupid fouls too often. Immobile and pedestrian on and off the ball. He did a few neat (easy) passes but never took the ball forward or ran with it. His usual tactic is a simple 5-yard ball square or back or an aimless lofted ball to no one. He repeated either one of these all game but for the most part I did not even notice he was playing. A major weak link. He is just not good enough and will surely go the same way as Evans, Leonard and Holmes eventually. If anything, he is getting worse rather than better and has been here a year now.

Norwood 7.5/10 – First half he was excellent. His set play delivery and his on-ball skills were to the fore. He dictated the game from deep and used it well and was involved in most things we did. 2nd half I felt he was not as influential at all and they stopped him getting on the ball and made him give it up to others. He seemed to tire – maybe international exerts. He certainly did not have any real influence in the final stages of the game and the midfield lost all control that they had of the game.

Duffy 7/10 – First half decent and got on the ball well and probed and got into good positions but too often his final product was not there today and he started to tire long before he came off. Still looks a dangerous player and got into some great positions.

Sharp 6/10 – Not sure he was in the game at all today. He gave away numerous fouls and although kept battling, cannot recall a chance of note him being involved in save for one ball to McGoldrick. Not surprised he went off as even though McGoldrick missed chances not sure he was in the game at all today. For me, he is a player who would start at home but not sure it works away from home. I think I would go with Clarke/McGoldrick and Duff off them and then Fleck, Coutts and Norwood behind away from home – or even use Bash in the middle.

McGoldrick 6.5/10 – He worked really hard and showed some decent play in hold up and a few good flicks but also some silly flicks where he gave it away and then of course he missed 2 or 3 good chances. The header he has to scored and the chance he got through after the lay off again he has to at least work the keeper.

Subs –

Johnson – His second touch was often a tackle! Showed some pace on one run but he wildly bled one shot over.

Washington – Had one flicked header wide but did not really get in the game.

Clarke – Came on too late really – should have been him rather than Washington

Wilder 6/10 – First half we played well after starting a bit slow but after the break they changed things and stopped us getting the centre backs and wing backs forward and we did not have an answer. His changes made us worse if anything and we never looked like really scoring after the hour mark. We needed to tighten it up and get a draw but did not really go forward or defend and play on the break and this indecisiveness on what we were doing meant we did neither and ended up losing.

Referee – Awful. Inconsistent from start to finish. Booked ours early and often yet let similar fouls go for them. Stevens was fetched down for a clear yellow; much worse than the Norwood one on half way and he got away with it. A real homer.

Norwood lost the header on the goal....Stevens let the cross come in too easily.

The best other chance of the game was when their lad blazed wide. They also had a decent appeal for a hand ball - so maybe they had more chances than I originally thought. Still it was the sort of game where a draw was a fair result.

We didn't recruit well enough up front and we probably lack strength in depth to make a proper go of it.
Shame as it's looking as if this season will lack the quality of the likes of a Wolves and Fulham and there will be an opportunity for someone to capitalise.

We didn't recruit well enough up front and we probably lack strength in depth to make a proper go of it.
Shame as it's looking as if this season will lack the quality of the likes of a Wolves and Fulham and there will be an opportunity for someone to capitalise.

Sharp is scoring for fun and McGoldrick was our best player last time out in what was our best performance in years. 90 minutes later throw the whole front line under the bus

Got to take issue with the “start being quite average again” DB - we’re 5th in the league!

Bristol City are a top six team based on performances so far and I thought we more than matched them and could well have won but for missed chances. Plus we were without one of our most important players.

Annoying loss but there’ll be plenty more along the way, nowt to worry about.

Lundstram snuffed out a counter of theirs in the second half when we were exposed..

He's not as dynamic as Fleck but doesn't deserve such a low score, he had a decent chance and as I said, got involved defensively.

Again he's not got the chance to play his own game and everyone's shocked when he doesn't shapeshift into Fleck or Coutts.

Duffy had a bad game and gave it away consistently from trying to dribble through people instead of playing the pass.

Ref was poor.

Sharp is scoring for fun and McGoldrick was our best player last time out in what was our best performance in years. 90 minutes later throw the whole front line under the bus

Sharp's scored a few and that's about it. We're usually quite strong in possession but lack genuine quality up front.
The next two games will tell us a lot about whether we're serious or not.

It was really disappointing to not build on the good run and now with 4 wins and 3 losses; the start is quite average again and puts pressure on us for the two home games; albeit v sides near the bottom.
Great report DB and agree with 99% except the above. We are 5th having played 3 of the top 5 other teams excluding ourselves after 7 games including 4 teams that are expected to challenge at the top and having played an away game more. We should however have got draws from today and Swansea.

Got to take issue with the “start being quite average again” DB - we’re 5th in the league!

Bristol City are a top six team based on performances so far and I thought we more than matched them and could well have won but for missed chances. Plus we were without one of our most important players.

Got to agree with this.

“and now with 4 wins and 3 losses; the start is quite average again”.

Sorry DB but I think that’s just an overreaction to the loss mate.

We’re in 5th place after 7. We’ve won 4 and lost 3 to get there but I suspect that if we’d won 3 and drawn 3 before today, most of us would have said that we’ve had a good start even though we’d still have the same points total.

Beat me to it mate.

Great criticism of the new players who only mcgoldrick has played a full game yet, nowt like giving players a chance is there. Totally negative poor report

I think it is fair criticism - not of the but of the type of signing the club made at the end of the window. Washington, Johnson and Craine is sadly so United in bargain basement type signings - we are relying on Wilder's excellent skills to get the best out of them but we should have been looking for better. My opinion.

Do you think Washington and Johnson are good enough for a side going for the top 6? Maybe they will prove me wrong but they players not deemed good enough for other Champ clubs. We should be aiming for higher.

We got worse when they came on and they made little impact. It was not their fault we lost; but the type of signing and the inability to bring in real quality at the top of the field means we will see us have results like this sadly in between some great performances like Villa.

The report calls it what it was - we played ok but second half offered little to nothing. Did you think we played well 2nd half or did anything of note? Bristol changed their formation and adjused their tactics and we never reacted. It's not a negative report -we played well for spells and had cotnrol of the game but missed chances but they scored and had the other best chance of the game. They also finished much stronger.

Great criticism of the new players who only mcgoldrick has played a full game yet, nowt like giving players a chance is there. Totally negative poor report
It doesn’t mean to say the new lads are crap players and yes they should be given time to settle in but solely based on what was seen today they’re performances were quite a bit below what’s required if we are to challenge for top 6 this season. As for Lundstram, he’s not shit but again not good enough if we want to be top end. I’d love him to prove me wrong but I just can’t see it

It doesn’t mean to say the new lads are crap players and yes they should be given time to settle in but solely based on what was seen today they’re performances were quite a bit below what’s required if we are to challenge for top 6 this season. As for Lundstram, he’s not shit but again not good enough if we want to be top end. I’d love him to prove me wrong but I just can’t see it

My reports generally will call what I see and the subs made little impact - I want to give them a chance but they were not the signings I wanted the club to make if they are serious about going up. Maybe I am expecting more than a QPR reserve striker and Middlesbrogh wing back who was not making the bench by the end in the league. We will see.

We don't move the ball quick enough when one of the Holy Trinity is missing. Thats the difference between Fleck, Duffy, Norwood and Coutts against any other option we have to fill their places. Lundstram is half a yard slower in thought and not a left sided player, Lafferty would be too defensive. Bash in midfield and Stearman in may have worked, Johnson's off the pace at the moment.

We have to solve it to get back to our dominant pressing game otherwise we are destined to play out again the second half of last season whilst Fleck is unavailable.

Chance to forget this game on Wednesday night. It proves what a very important player Fleck is. We don't knock Lundstram for no reason as Deadbat states he is just not good enough.....Looking forward to seeing Coutes and Norwood in midfield together

We'll be fine come Jan, when SuperChed returns!

I think it is fair criticism - not of the but of the type of signing the club made at the end of the window. Washington, Johnson and Craine is sadly so United in bargain basement type signings - we are relying on Wilder's excellent skills to get the best out of them but we should have been looking for better. My opinion.

Do you think Washington and Johnson are good enough for a side going for the top 6? Maybe they will prove me wrong but they players not deemed good enough for other Champ clubs. We should be aiming for higher.

We got worse when they came on and they made little impact. It was not their fault we lost; but the type of signing and the inability to bring in real quality at the top of the field means we will see us have results like this sadly in between some great performances like Villa.

The report calls it what it was - we played ok but second half offered little to nothing. Did you think we played well 2nd half or did anything of note? Bristol changed their formation and adjused their tactics and we never reacted. It's not a negative report -we played well for spells and had cotnrol of the game but missed chances but they scored and had the other best chance of the game. They also finished much stronger.
Where do you suggest we sign players from then ? Don't think Man citys regulars are available . I take it Washington is your new Ryan Flynn just 15 minutes into his Sheffield Utd career. Tell me which players we should have signed and also the good players in the last 10 years who were deemed good enough for Championship clubs. Where did we get Fleck ,Coutts , OConnell ,Sharp etc etc from ?

My reports generally will call what I see and the subs made little impact - I want to give them a chance but they were not the signings I wanted the club to make if they are serious about going up. Maybe I am expecting more than a QPR reserve striker and Middlesbrogh wing back who was not making the bench by the end in the league. We will see.
Totally get your point but it wouldn’t be the first time a meh signing has proved us wrong. Fingers crossed

Its 4 wins and 3 losses. Maybe a bit above average. ;)

Big week coming up. We need to put away 2 bottom sides.
Ah but I explained all that in the post before buddy. A w3 d3 L1 would have seemed like a good start yet it’s the same number of points.

I went today and we've been robbed by them lot again.

They improved second half and after we'd made our changes we looked a bit of a mess. Changed from a 3-4-1-2 to a 3-5-2 to a 4-5-1 to 4-4-2.

Genuinely thought they looked average throughout, we beat their press constantly in the 1st half and they gave up. Just needed to score one and see it out.

Anybody heard how long Fleck is going to be out? A couple of posts on here make it sound like it’s long term.

Where do you suggest we sign players from then ? Don't think Man citys regulars are available . I take it Washington is your new Ryan Flynn just 15 minutes into his Sheffield Utd career. Tell me which players we should have signed and also the good players in the last 10 years who were deemed good enough for Championship clubs. Where did we get Fleck ,Coutts , OConnell ,Sharp etc etc from ?
.. it’s interesting to reflect though that most of the team are still those who were the L1 promotion team.. the only players who look like a ‘real’ improvement came from the premier league (hendo and ollie).. coincidence?
lundstram is the new flynn .. gets in week in week out one good game in ten .. nice lad by all accounts

Back
Top Bottom