Nicknames for Fans (you do not know)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is that Bill Brierley (of Blades Tales fame etc)? Goes everywhere with United - seemed to be good pals with Shred.
Bills always and will always be a top blade. He's one of the chosen few, annoying twat at times but a good friend

What about the Fat Family, can anyone remember them? Not seen them for ages, by all account they had all attained a spectacular level of derangement. Used to see them all over, entertaining to observe from a distance but you would never want to get in to close contact with them. I can remember Fat Mother once screaming racist abuse at a Scunthorpe player at Glanford Park. Nice people
Still around

They were embarrasing. They used to hang around the car park before and after the game. They seemed to think that the players actually liked them. Called them by their first names. 'Hello Nick, are you ok'

Remember when Bassett left and there is a great video (Walthamstow will surely upload - 95/96 season) and they were crying and said they were done with United. The club was finished. They were there the week after.

Also they were obsessed by Evans. Seemed to be his fan club in his appeal for justice. Sure her profile on twitter was a picture of her with Ched.

Unrelated was 'Alan Kelly woman.' My wife somehow knew of her and she was completely obsessed with Alan Kelly. She was quite old but genuinelly seemed to think she might marry him.

Moonface was another on the Kop. Basically looked like Moonface from Faraway tree.
OMG - I remember Alan Kelly woman- thats a fair few years back when my (then young) lad was with me (he's 29 now) - he used to find her hilarious.

Is that Bill Brierley (of Blades Tales fame etc)? Goes everywhere with United - seemed to be good pals with Shred.

That's him! I've known him years - a good friend and top bloke but has the occasional 'blip'! :)

Not sure if that really qualifies as a nickname, that's more of a job description :)

For many years, and I assume it hasn't changed, he sat next to a mate of his who used to time the halves and became known as Seiko Bob. Bob's exceptionally tall, 6'6"ish and I doubt the person behind on The Kop gets much of a view. He started bringing his young daughter to matches and carried her on his shoulders and I used to think that if he dropped her from that height, the fall would be fatal.

Behind us when we had season tickets in the JSS, we were a row or two in front of Whiner, a grown man who had a really piercing voice and was never happy about anything. He had a mate with no exceptional characteristics who we called Whiner's Mate. I still see him occasionally at away games.

On the same row was a portly, prematurely bald bloke, who always wore a crombie type coat and looked as though he'd clocked off at the undertaker's. He always arrived five minutes late, as if the earlier cremation didn't go as well as expected or the hearse had got caught in traffic. Every time the ref made a contentious decision he'd wave a ten pound note in the air, questioning the official's impartiality. He was known as the Tenner Man (OK, I never promised originality).
sits on JSS in front of us, still waves the occasional tenner - have known him bring out a £20 if its a really bad decision. When it's only a fiver we reckon he's not had a very good week haha

Spec Savers guy - youngish lad with a very load voice, used to be behind us in H Block. Moaned all match but would always give the ref the "should have gone to" line. We moved further down the stand as I nearly came to blows a few times for excessive moaning.

Have been sponging free tickets off players as long as I can remember.

Will always be there when the team coach arrives, shouting the first names of players as they get off.

Spend the money they save on chips.

If it's the same ones I'm thinking of she's the "Ched is innocent" tee shirt wearer, they went all the way to Hartlepool a few years back with no tickets hoping to get some somehow.

If it's the same ones I'm thinking of she's the "Ched is innocent" tee shirt wearer, they went all the way to Hartlepool a few years back with no tickets hoping to get some somehow.
That`s them, anyone who sees the team bus pull up at any away ground look out for the fat family fighting their way to the front.

Nobody seen "man in a dress" that sits close to "hat lady" ??

Anyway, I don't sit in same place (thank fuck) and I've seen a few of these, the halfway line heckler on John street is the best, absolutely hammered the ref week in week out, once started an argument with Doyle a few seasons ago and they were at it all game, he must have cost us points...

Think he might have been banned, might have to nip over and check...

Kop this Saturday...
Hahaha "man in a dress", I used to sit a few rows behind them but on the other side of the gangway.

Flouncy McFlouncerton - he's usually there for the first few matches of a season, then sells his season ticket on. Then comes back the next season telling everyone how he was correct all the time. Has anyone else seen him? ;)

Never!

During the 1990s I used to sit behind "the toothless wonder". One of his upper front teeth were missing and he wore broken spectacles held together with a bit of elastoplast - Jack Duckworth style. When we conceded a goal, depending on his state of inebriation, he would stand up and look around to see if there were any opposition fans he could pick a fight with. The irony being that of the 4 friends I sat with, one was a Tottenham fan and the other supported Everton, and on occasions a Man U or Sunderland fan borrowed one of our tickets

"The Assessor" sits near the middle of The Kop and stands up to loudly berate the officials at least once or twice a game. Usually something along the lines of him being duped by the opposition's time wasting tactics or a perceived failure to keep sufficient control of the game.

I don't think I've ever heard him comment on the manager or the players as he generally seems to be more concerned about the Ref's performance. Hence the nickname.

Sometimes he doesn't go and someone who may be his son sits in his seat and takes over his Referee Assessor duties for that game.

Would that be somewhere near row DD about seat 110?

We always called him 'Voice of reason' as he was so biased. I think he must have had a serious heart attack or something as for a few years he just sat their quiet and glum. He's now back on form (with new tablets?) questioning the ref's parentage if he doesn't perform the pre-match net check properly.

We have 'Sean Bean's mates' a few rows in front. Come in about half three and leave early. I'm not sure they saw a Blades goal at all last season.

Occasionally when I go to the bog at half time, I wonder if it is a special Ugly Blades sponsored day? Surely some of these people can't live on their own and hold down jobs and stuff...

Came across a bizarre one at Stevenage away a few years ago.

A guy a few rows in front of me spent the whole game holding a brown paper bag in his fist. Every time the referee gave a foul against us he'd wave it around angrily.

Around this point the (fairly skittish) friend that I was with became convinced it was a bomb. That's not really important to the story, but the idea that terrorists would target a league 1 match in Stevenage is fairly amusing...

Anyway. When we finally scored an equaliser (Evans free kick I believe), the guy pulled a pie out of the bag and held it up like the World Cup. When the celebrations died down he calmly put the pie back into the bag.

I never saw him take a bite out of it.

Makes me smile when they sing 'Shoreham boys'. Shag your women? Really? I mean really? Not a chance.
Of course many years ago it was "shag our women drink our beer."
In order to make it more offensive the emphasis changed from our to your.
What woman with a shred of self respect would "shag" a spotty delinquent from the Manor ?

Of course many years ago it was "shag our women drink our beer."
In order to make it more offensive the emphasis changed from our to your.
What woman with a shred of self respect would "shag" a spotty delinquent from the Manor ?
Exactly, or a forty year old 20 stone one either :)

At this rate everybody who goes to the lane will have been given a nickname by somebody.

I sit mainly on John St and usually have 2 Junior Blades with me but have had as many as 4 sat with me. Dreading getting mentioned in this thread. :eek:

Open your eyes lino, sits near us.

Do you sit in Family Enclosure? If not there are two of these guys knocking about!!

In fact he sits near a guy who my 4.75 year old calls Mr Angry - even when we're winning this chap constantly shouts vitriol at the officials. All I can think is Maybe his wife ran off with a referee/linesman...

Do you sit in Family Enclosure? If not there are two of these guys knocking about!!

In fact he sits near a guy who my 4.75 year old calls Mr Angry - even when we're winning this chap constantly shouts vitriol at the officials. All I can think is Maybe his wife ran off with a referee/linesman...
Yes I do. Does the Mr Angry sit about four rows in front and to the left of Open your eyes lino? I am sure there are plenty of both about though.

The 'man who sits infront of us' (as we unimaginatively used to call him) thought my dad was the font of all knowledge. Whenever anything controversial happened in a game he'd turn round and ask my dad what his opinion was. He then would repeat it to everyone around him as fact. Funnily enough he never asked for my opinion on anything.

Back
Top Bottom